ADVERTISEMENT

State Bowl Games

I thought it was ironic that the announcers were waxing poetic last night at the end of the game on how SJB does things “the right way”.

Should be taken with a grain of salt, when you consider they were saying samething Friday night about CVC a program that has had numerous issues over the years

Last edited:
I can’t recall who said it but it’s a numbers game. Look at population of scal. Not hard to figure out a few super powers will emerge.

I thought it was ironic that the announcers were waxing poetic last night at the end of the game on how SJB does things “the right way”.

They’re clearly “clueless” and are just pandering to those watching who don’t know much about the programs to add to the broadcast enjoyment by waxing poetic on the purity of the participants.

These announcers are SoCal guys thru and thru. Naturally they are going to tout the winner of any contest but they were clearly leaning toward SoCal from the beginning. I remember that one commentator back in 2014 just gushing on and on about Corona Centennial and their prolific 8,000 yard offense. It carried on so long that it became awkward how he was giving excuse after excuse on why CC was struggling against DLS. Even at the ending wrap up he lightly gave credence toward DLS but mainly focused on how CC didn't perform normally.

They’re clearly “clueless” and are just pandering to those watching who don’t know much about the programs to add to the broadcast enjoyment by waxing poetic on the purity of the participants.

......yeh, the 'ol "the older I get the better I was" adage

Let's just note that the Southern Section has an entirely different view of the Transfer Syndrome. It's basically: "Whatever." And let the good times roll.

Reactions: thespecialone
Fake news
But even if they did are transfers against the rules?

not at all against the rules at all, but if you bring in mercenaries it’s just not very impressive in my book......what Corona Del Mar was more impressive in my book, I’m just not impressed with mercenary teams with 20-30 D1 players smacking around high school teams just doesn’t do much for me

not at all against the rules at all, but if you bring in mercenaries it’s just not very impressive in my book......what Corona Del Mar was more impressive in my book, I’m just not impressed with mercenary teams with 20-30 D1 players smacking around high school teams just doesn’t do much for me
mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... kettle meet pot...
all the sudden its unfair... liberty, freedom, folsom and Pitt all say Hi

mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.... kettle meet pot...
all the sudden its unfair... liberty, freedom, folsom and Pitt all say Hi

where did I say it’s unfair ???? Quote my exact words where I said it’s UNFAIR??? Never ever ever ever ever said that Mr. Reading Comprehension Champ, I just said wasn’t impressed by a team rolling out 36 D1 players beating on high school teams.......nothing about the words Unfair were uttered Champ

Reactions: THEOC89

And CDM being a public school defeating a private is all the more impressive as well.

So are you implying that a team with transfers is doing it the wrong way?
Transfers are not the wrong way. Its impressive to get kids to come play and be a D1 offered backup all year when they could start anywhere else. As long as they are being honest with the kids, its impressive.

Reactions: THEOC89
The issue centers on sections not being on the same page with their section playoffs. If everyone adopted the same format, it would put more pressure on CIF state to narrow the focus.

I would like to have each section have "state" brackets of large, medium, small. Make them 4 teams each and advance to a state tournament (North/South brackets). The rest of the teams can play it out in regular section playoffs. However, that has no chance of happening.

For now, the sections want to keep their own rules to best serve them and CIF wants to additional games to make the tent bigger for revenue.

Tons of people were up-in-arms about how the NCS, CCS, and LACS runner-up teams advanced. The mentality was that you needed to win to advance.

Well, fine, those other teams won. Why shouldn't they be allowed to advance in the state playoffs? People can't have it both ways.

Section Summary / Regional Qualifiers:

North Coast Section: (7) keep playoff system as is, no changes.

Central Coast Section: (5) keep playoff system as is, no changes.

Central Section: (10) Increase from 6 to 10 to keep same amount of participants.

Los Angeles Section: (7) Increase from 4 to 7 to keep same amount of participants.

San Diego Section: (8) Increase from 6 to 8 to keep same amount of participants.

???

NCS: 107 football schools

CCS: 94

CS: 106

LACS: 70

SDS: 84

I'm not sure you did much research before making these divisional recommendations.

Some of the viewpoints on here are very puzzling. Too many divisions?

Ok, let's say that the sections relinquished control over the football playoffs and we had true state brackets. How many divisions do you think we'd have? 5? 6?

Try somewhere around 12-14... just as we have now. There are way too many teams for only 5 or 6 divisions. That doesn't even make sense.

The only reason 5 or 6 seem reasonable is that we started with 3. The only reason we started with 3 was to get some sections to buy into it. Had we started with 12 and said that we used Texas as the only comparable model for the number of divisions, I don't think many would be complaining nearly as much.

where did I say it’s unfair ???? Quote my exact words where I said it’s UNFAIR??? Never ever ever ever ever said that Mr. Reading Comprehension Champ, I just said wasn’t impressed by a team rolling out 36 D1 players beating on high school teams.......nothing about the words Unfair were uttered Champ
ok mr exagerration champ... now they are at 36 d1 players? take the L and get better for next year.. those 36 are all high school kids playing versus high school kids.. next you gonna say in samoa the birth certificates were forged...simp

ok mr exagerration champ... now they are at 36 d1 players? take the L and get better for next year.. those 36 are all high school kids playing versus high school kids.. next you gonna say in samoa the birth certificates were forged...simp

Once again Champ not once did I say it was “unfair” don’t know why your brain and eyes can’t comprehend that? I just said I’m not really that impressed when a band of mercenaries win a title? Their win vs Mercenary Dei was impressive a win against DLS? Sorry not sure what I’m supposed to be impressed by? Like why would I be impressed if Sierra Canyon beats DLS hoops? Same concept

Once again Champ not once did I say it was “unfair” don’t know why your brain and eyes can’t comprehend that? I just said I’m not really that impressed when a band of mercenaries win a title? Their win vs Mercenary Dei was impressive a win against DLS? Sorry not sure what I’m supposed to be impressed by? Like why would I be impressed if Sierra Canyon beats DLS hoops? Same concept
you are all over the place. ima pass big fella. dls lost. hold the L.

So if a program has a transfer kid it nullifies everything said programs accomplishments? Interesting take. What about say liberty who won had transfers and a playoff loss? That must really grind your stones. And FYI when a program has one of the top rated prospects in all the land many many scouts will be on their sidelines at both games and practice. This will no doubt lead to more offers. IT DOESN’T MEAN THEY WERE ALL TRANSFERS!

So if a program has a transfer kid it nullifies everything said programs accomplishments? Interesting take. What about say liberty who won had transfers and a playoff loss? That must really grind your stones. And FYI when a program has one of the top rated prospects in all the land many many scouts will be on their sidelines at both games and practice. This will no doubt lead to more offers. IT DOESN’T MEAN THEY WERE ALL TRANSFERS!

didn’t say anything of the sort so not sure wtf you are saying ? I DONT CARE IF THEY HAVE 10000000 TRAnSFErs I Am NOT IMpreSSEd with ASSEMbLiNg TRANSFER SUPER TEAMS I AM PROUD THAT YOu Do GET EASiLY ImPRESSED BY SUPER PREP TEAmS!! You and the assassin have a weird thing for putting words in my mouth, what I said and I know your comprehension is subpar is that these teams who assemble mass super teams with mercenaries just don’t impress me when they beat up on a good high school team.....now I know you can’t read well but I said what was impressive was when SJB best fellow mercenary high Mater Dei a battle of super recruit mercenary teams........why would I be impressed and in awe of a Junior College level team beating up on a team with 3-5 college players on it ? Not sure what other expectation one would have ? Not saying it’s unfair, never said it’s cheating sure it’s all legit and good I just don’t get impressed by it since it’s the expectation

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
didn’t say anything of the sort so not sure wtf you are saying ? I DONT CARE IF THEY HAVE 10000000 TRAnSFErs I Am NOT IMpreSSEd with ASSEMbLiNg TRANSFER SUPER TEAMS I AM PROUD THAT YOu Do GET EASiLY ImPRESSED BY SUPER PREP TEAmS!! You and the assassin have a weird thing for putting words in my mouth, what I said and I know your comprehension is subpar is that these teams who assemble mass super teams with mercenaries just don’t impress me when they beat up on a good high school team.....now I know you can’t read well but I said what was impressive was when SJB best fellow mercenary high Mater Dei a battle of super recruit mercenary teams........why would I be impressed and in awe of a Junior College level team beating up on a team with 3-5 college players on it ? Not sure what other expectation one would have ? Not saying it’s unfair, never said it’s cheating sure it’s all legit and good I just don’t get impressed by it since it’s the expectation

So how many actual transfers were on this team do you even know?

Some of the viewpoints on here are very puzzling. Too many divisions?

Ok, let's say that the sections relinquished control over the football playoffs and we had true state brackets. How many divisions do you think we'd have? 5? 6?

Try somewhere around 12-14... just as we have now. There are way too many teams for only 5 or 6 divisions. That doesn't even make sense.

The only reason 5 or 6 seem reasonable is that we started with 3. The only reason we started with 3 was to get some sections to buy into it. Had we started with 12 and said that we used Texas as the only comparable model for the number of divisions, I don't think many would be complaining nearly as much.

I don't know the right number, but 12-14 seems like too many no matter where we started at.

There is a number where you make the figurative tent big enough that it is fair and interesting, but small enough that teams that are winning state are standout teams.

Finding that number is the tough part, but it would start with having a true bracket to replace section playoffs (never happening)

Reactions: SearsPoints
So how many actual transfers were on this team do you even know?

several :) hey where is DJ from? Upland? Lol coach Negro admits in the OC register article he is all good with open transfers and has no regrets about it so it’s fine I get it......they have a vast infrastructure set up along with MD to bring players in from far and wide good for them not sure why I’m supposed to be impressed by that? You haven’t told me why I’m supposed to shock and awed by a super team regional all star team winning titles ? Tell me why am I supposed to be so impressed?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/story/2019-10-19/how-mater-dei-and-st-john-bosco-became-dominant?_amp=true

several :) hey where is DJ from? Upland? Lol coach Negro admits in the OC register article he is all good with open transfers and has no regrets about it so it’s fine I get it......they have a vast infrastructure set up along with MD to bring players in from far and wide good for them not sure why I’m supposed to be impressed by that? You haven’t told me why I’m supposed to shock and awed by a super team regional all star team winning titles ? Tell me why am I supposed to be so impressed?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/story/2019-10-19/how-mater-dei-and-st-john-bosco-became-dominant?_amp=true

DJ isn’t a transfer care to try again? By your standard you shouldn’t be impressed with many teams. DLS has kids from SR, Pitt, Ant, etc. Same with CVC, or Serra. Liberty and Pitt all draw from outside their respective city limits. You’re complaining without doing actual research you’re letting other’s control the narrative for you. Again how many transfers were actually on this team that made significant contribution’s?

Reactions: RedZone90 and MC415
I don't know the right number, but 12-14 seems like too many no matter where we started at.

There is a number where you make the figurative tent big enough that it is fair and interesting, but small enough that teams that are winning state are standout teams.

Finding that number is the tough part, but it would start with having a true bracket to replace section playoffs (never happening)

I always felt 5 was right. However I could see playing 1 for each level. Also if more bowl games is needed for feel good stories great. But calling these teams state champs is ridiculous.

Reactions: MC415
DJ isn’t a transfer care to try again? By your standard you shouldn’t be impressed with many teams. DLS has kids from SR, Pitt, Ant, etc. Same with CVC, or Serra. Liberty and Pitt all draw from outside their respective city limits. You’re complaining without doing actual research you’re letting other’s control the narrative for you. Again how many transfers were actually on this team that made significant contribution’s?

i said in two separate posts that I was impressed with SJB beating MD did you skip over that part ? Sorry if my team brings in mercenaries from all over the greater region (not somewhat local transfers or recruits) to amass a super all star team with D1 players even as backups my expectation is a championship Im not impressed with anything less sorry......we have differing opinions on impressiveness like I said CDM with mostly local kids impressed me more than what SJB did sorry different strokes for different folks

I always felt 5 was right. However I could see playing 1 for each level. Also if more bowl games is needed for feel good stories great. But calling these teams state champs is ridiculous.

This is something I haven't always articulated well. I don't mind more games or all section winners moving on or whatever system is used. I just think calling everyone state champs waters down the product.

i said in two separate posts that I was impressed with SJB beating MD did you skip over that part ? Sorry if my team brings in mercenaries from all over the greater region (not somewhat local transfers or recruits) to amass a super all star team with D1 players even as backups my expectation is a championship Im not impressed with anything less sorry......we have differing opinions on impressiveness like I said CDM with mostly local kids impressed me more than what SJB did sorry different strokes for different folks

I saw all your posts, and I have zero clue who your team is. The simple fact is SJB core have all been there since freshman year. Of course they have had a few transfers most all programs do especially down south. Care to take a stab at how many CDM actually had?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT