ADVERTISEMENT

Week 10 Scoreboard

I will find out. Just head this morning he was out.

My wife and I couldn’t even spot him on the sideline for the longest while then we finally spotted him in full uniform but helmet off.

Maybe he only dressed for Senior night?

His presence on the field sure was missed.

Ok. Just got home from breezy Thunder Stadium.

Q4 was crazy!

Both teams scored TD’s and got unsportsmanlike penalties enforced on the ensuing kick off. Both got additional 5 yard penalties prior to the kick.

RHS got the better kick off past the returner and made Oak Ridge have to go 80 yards for the win.

After a PI penalty the Trojans had multiple chances to score from the 13 yard line.

1st attempt to the left corner of the end zone looked like it was intercepted by Austin Adams but ruled out of bounds I believe.

2nd attempt as time expired was knocked away.

Huge win for the Thunder who set their sights on Folsom on Thursday.

My pick’ems this week are getting killed! Anticipate dropping in the standings.

Also dropping (seeding) will be a couple of teams that have lost tonight. Oak Ridge loses to Rocklin. And Central Catholic beating ranked and undefeated Manteca team will certainly move them up in the seedings in D1 to either #4 or #5, while they capture the VOL league title. Monterey Trail holding on to beat Grant should move up to #3 seed and will win their league. Jesuit loses to Elk Grove. I believe this means Elk Grove wins Delta League landing in D1 for playoffs and Jesuit drops to D2.

For SJS D1 #1 thru #8 seedings I’m picturing …

#1 Folsom
#2 St. Mary’s
#3 Monterey Trail
#4 Central Catholic (Manteca win was HUGE! Losses were to much better competition than teams below faced)
#5 Oak Ridge (lost to Rocklin which lost to Turlock)
#6 Elk Grove (beat Jesuit, but loss to GB does not help)
#7 Turlock (win early on against Rocklin might swap with Elk Grove and maybe even past Oak Ridge, but will stay so anticipated travel to St. Mary’s not so far)
#8 Lincoln or Sheldon (Lincoln may need a close game vs St. Mary’s to secure #8, else it goes to Sheldon)

Reactions: M.C. fan

Also dropping (seeding) will be a couple of teams that have lost tonight. Oak Ridge loses to Rocklin. And Central Catholic beating ranked and undefeated Manteca team will certainly move them up in the seedings in D1 to either #4 or #5, while they capture the VOL league title. Monterey Trail holding on to beat Grant should move up to #3 seed and will win their league. Jesuit loses to Elk Grove. I believe this means Elk Grove wins Delta League landing in D1 for playoffs and Jesuit drops to D2.

#1 Folsom
#2 St. Mary’s
#3 Monterey Trail
#4 Central Catholic (Manteca win was HUGE! Losses were to much better competition than teams below faced)
#7 Turlock (win early on against Rocklin might swap with Elk Grove and maybe even past Oak Ridge, but will stay so anticipated travel to St. Mary’s not so far)
#8 Lincoln or Sheldon (Lincoln may need a close game vs St. Mary’s to secure #8, else it goes to Sheldon)
Central should propel to 3 seed. SOS over MT.

My wife and I couldn’t even spot him on the sideline for the longest while then we finally spotted him in full uniform but helmet off.

Maybe he only dressed for Senior night?

His presence on the field sure was missed.
Just got the info, he tweaked something this week, maybe practice and ended up a gametime decision, so to speak. He played 1 play, took a 3 yard loss and his coach didn't like what he saw and put him on ice. Tough kid, wanted to play, Mason did his thing but nighttrain is a different animal.

Folsom vs Central Catholic semifinal will be an interesting game since CC challenged Serra (team that beat Folsom). Moving MT down to #4 and CC to #3 creates rematches that I’m sure the committee will want to avoid (seek new matchups for potential semifinals). Still all top 4 seeds that get a bye to start the playoffs still got to get thru their initial contests.

Same. That was a heck of a game.
That game was a chess match. OR adjustments in the second half forced Rocklin to play more man. I thought both teams looked incredible on defense. Derek had a huge sack, Larson, hall, maverick, Adam's etc, are playing Balls out.

Fast, swarming, very few coverage bust. Rocklin won tonight and it came down to the wire. OR is a team, most are grateful to see in D1. That's said, this week thunder plays Folsom and they really need nightrains best game. You can run on Folsom and play small ball like MT did a few seasons ago.

Just a hypothetical, what if Rocklin knocks off folsom and Oak Ridge beat Del Oro ?

Seeding be dammed.

Joey found the sword of Gryffendor at the right time.

Last edited:
It was a strange game to watch live. So many aspects were textbook Monterey Trail. Other parts of the game were uncharacteristically off for MT. One thing was clear: there just wasn't any panic on the Mustang sideline. They just kept going about their business.

Honestly, I think the best way to look at it is that Grant is a good team that played very well, and Monterey Trail has some clarity on what they need to work on after so many weeks off. This might be a good game for MT to experience before the playoffs start. The D1 bracket will be formidable this year, so all the honest insights and self-evaluations that can be gleaned in preparation for them are important.

Final....Placer 42 West Park 35. Placer had better plan and was better prepared for this game in building a
28-7 lead after 3 qtr’s and leading 42-14 with 6 minutes remaining in game...reserves and special teams need to do better job closing...props to WP on their ferocity with onside kicks and their never say never.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam
Just a hypothetical, what if Rocklin knocks off folsom and Oak Ridge beat Del Oro ?

RHS will have to play it’s best game of the season with regard to self-induced penalties.

If they can somehow manage that seemingly gargantuan feat and play the same type of defense they’ve been playing most of the past few weeks — I like their chances.

Hopefully Elias Brown is back on Thursday to help balance out Mason Silva.

That game was a chess match. OR adjustments in the second half forced Rocklin to play more man. I thought both teams looked incredible on defense. Derek had a huge sack, Larson, hall, maverick, Adam's etc, are playing Balls out.

OR couldn’t do much the first half, until their final possession. Then they took a page out of the Thunder’s playbook by finding something at half that worked all 2nd half. They were running it quite well, with their QB making some timely runs and 3rd down throws.

Luckily for the Thunder offense they countered by hitting on several throws over-the-top. Those big plays were key.

Reactions: Santa Ball

Fast, swarming, very few coverage bust. Rocklin won tonight and it came down to the wire. OR is a team, most are grateful to see in D1. That's said, this week thunder plays Folsom and they really need nightrains best game. You can run on Folsom and play small ball like MT did a few seasons ago.

Seeding be dammed.

Joey found the sword of Gryffendor at the right time.
Santa, tough for anybody to get the L in that way. Great HS football game on a beautiful cold fall night. Credit to where credits due. Rocklin has improved a ton and is playing for a possible SFL title!

Reactions: Santa Ball

#1 Folsom
#2 St. Mary’s
#3 Monterey Trail
A solid prediction. I think three things support your seedings after the obvious choices at #1 and #2:

1) Monterey Trail should stay above Central Catholic because of the outcome versus a common opponent (St. Francis).

2) The SFL runner-up, and even the #3 team, tends to be seeded higher than the Delta champ. Weird, but true. Check out the other thread I started earlier today.

3) Elk Grove at #6 would give the Section the assumed BIG gate of #6 Elk Grove at #3 MT.

That being said, the Section does what the Section does and I am positive they do not listen to me.
Great game with a lot of big plays all night. Best team Grant has faced this year. And they gave MT all they could handle. Great atmosphere in the Heights! At least during the game
Grant played lights out. If they can sustain that offensive production in the playoffs, there won't be many teams in D3 who can withstand it. I can't imagine they will face a lot of teams in the playoffs who have a running game the caliber of Monterey Trail. Who else besides MT can handle a 10-man box on defense? It will be very hard for teams to match the pace of the Pacers.

Grant vs MT was a showcase of two evenly matched teams. The game came down to who literally had the ball last with enough time to drive down the field. Both teams made big plays but need to shore up their defenses or they will both get knocked out of the playoffs.

Grant had a difficult time shutting down the veer. MT repeatedly set them up for the veer sweep that you could see coming a mile away; especially in 3rd and long situations. The Mustangs broke off a couple of big time 70-80 yard runs that negated Grants defensive efforts. That’s the veer for you! MT has a couple of athletes that can take it to the house on you.

MT’s defense struggled against Grant’s balanced attack. Their DBs were outmatched and Grants running backs had huge holes (the size of a school bus) to run through.

Take aways —Grant has two athletic 6’5 receivers and a smaller speedy receiver who is one of the fastest sprinters in the state. They are fun to watch! The QB looked good and the OLine gave him a lot of time to throw. Shore up that defense and get your kicking game together. Hopefully the running back isn’t hurt too badly. They also needed their star linebacker (who didn’t play) against that MT veer!

MT- has a few athletes that can take it to the house at any moment. Shore up that defense!

Good luck to both teams moving forward!

It was a strange game to watch live. So many aspects were textbook Monterey Trail. Other parts of the game were uncharacteristically off for MT. One thing was clear: there just wasn't any panic on the Mustang sideline. They just kept going about their business.

Honestly, I think the best way to look at it is that Grant is a good team that played very well, and Monterey Trail has some clarity on what they need to work on after so many weeks off. This might be a good game for MT to experience before the playoffs start. The D1 bracket will be formidable this year, so all the honest insights and self-evaluations that can be gleaned in preparation for them are important.
I agree, but I did not see any panic on the Pacer sideline as well. In the past, giving up a big play or falling behind by a couple of score, the Pacers would put there heads down or start to self destruct. The fans would start to shout and scream profanities. The overall mood of the game would change. Last nite when they were hit with adversity, they locked in and turned up the pressure. For this alone I was extremely impressed with Reed and his coaching staff.

Id also agree this was a great game for both teams to work out any last minute kinks before the playoffs start.

Grant vs MT was a showcase of two evenly matched teams. The game came down to who literally had the ball last with enough time to drive down the field. Both teams made big plays but need to shore up their defenses or they will both get knocked out of the playoffs.

Grant had a difficult time shutting down the veer. MT repeatedly set them up for the veer sweep that you could see coming a mile away; especially in 3rd and long situations. The Mustangs broke off a couple of big time 70-80 yard runs that negated Grants defensive efforts. That’s the veer for you! MT has a couple of athletes that can take it to the house on you.

MT’s defense struggled against Grant’s balanced attack. Their DBs were outmatched and Grants running backs had huge holes (the size of a school bus) to run through.

Take aways —Grant has two athletic 6’5 receivers and a smaller speedy receiver who is one of the fastest sprinters in the state. They are fun to watch! The QB looked good and the OLine gave him a lot of time to throw. Shore up that defense and get your kicking game together. Hopefully the running back isn’t hurt too badly. They also needed their star linebacker (who didn’t play) against that MT veer!

MT- has a few athletes that can take it to the house at any moment. Shore up that defense!

Good luck to both teams moving forward!
Grant plays in the D1 Metropolitan league,they are a good now 6-2 after almost beating a darn good Monterey Trail last night in DPH 49-42 who are now 7-2 and headed to D1 playoffs…Metropolitan is a D1 league with only Laguna Creek now 7-2 a D2 team…my question is WHY is a good 6-2 Grant from D1 Metropolitan league with all these tall,speedy recievers and athletes everywhere it sounds like playing in the SJS D3 playoffs?I would like someone to clarify this if they can or know why because i just don’t get this,Grant should be at WORST in D2,imho! It’s being said here that last night’s game between Grant vs MT was a showcase of 2 evenly matched teams…both are in same D1 Metropolitan league….than again,WHY is Grant being seeded in the D3 playoffs,can someone ANYONE shine a little light here if you can or know why this is?Much appreciated….Streak,do you know,thoughts? Does anyone here feel that D4 Placer vs D1 Monterey Trail would be a showcase of 2 evenly matched teams as Grant vs MT…..me neither! Many of you here know me and i rely on the majority of you for your insight and in depth info on players,teams,tendencies,strenghths,weaknesses,good,bad whatever…i’m a sponge this time of yr when it comes to all this and i honestly appreciate everyone’s insight on EVERYTHING,sometimes i’m left wondering WHY something is…this is one of them! THANKS

Last edited:
Reactions: M.C. fan
Grant plays in the D1 Metropolitan league,they are a good now 6-2 after almost beating a darn good Monterey Trail
last night in DPH 49-42 and are now 7-2 and headed to D1 playoffs…Metropolitan is a D1 league with only Laguna Creek now 7-2 a D2 team…my question is WHY is a good 6-2 Grant from D1 Metropolitan league with all these tall,speedy recievers and athletes everywhere it sounds like playing in the SJS D3 playoffs?I would like someone to clarify this if they can or know why because i just don’t get this,Grant should be at WORST in D2,imho!Anyone,please answer or give some insight to this seeding of D1 Grant in the SJS D3 playoffs,plz!
Great Question Champ. I would ask SJS Asst. Commish. wdeboard@cifsjs.org. McClatchy is D1, why would Grant be D3.

Reactions: championcif75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT