ADVERTISEMENT

Week 10 Scoreboard

Grant plays in the D1 Metropolitan league,they are a good now 6-2 after almost beating a darn good Monterey Trail 49-42 now 7-2 and headed to D1 playoffs…Metropolitan is a D1 league with only Laguna Creek now 7-2 a D2 team…my question is WHY is a good 6-2 Grant from D1 Metropolitan league with all these tall,speedy recievers and athletes everywhere playing in the SJS D3 playoffs?I would like someone to clarify this if they know why because i just can’t,Grant should becat WORST in D2,imho!
The CIF-SJS has done some crazy things with Grant over the years. I’m not sure what their current enrollment is but it may place them in D3. Another reason could be due to their poor showing in the SFL.

They were forcfily placed into the SFL when their program was very unhealthy. Aged HC, who had to be forced out, left the program in bad shape. Took a few years to get back on track. Placing them in D3 could be some form of an apology to help the program get back on track via having a good playoff run.

I don’t think that Grant would just run through the D3 competition. Their Defense is nothing like what you and I are used to seeing. If it was, they’d definitely go to the Open game this year.

I think Grant will probably end up in D2 unless the SJS has a crowded field and opts to put Grant in D3.

Grant vs MT was a showcase of two evenly matched teams. The game came down to who literally had the ball last with enough time to drive down the field. Both teams made big plays but need to shore up their defenses or they will both get knocked out of the playoffs.

Grant had a difficult time shutting down the veer. MT repeatedly set them up for the veer sweep that you could see coming a mile away; especially in 3rd and long situations. The Mustangs broke off a couple of big time 70-80 yard runs that negated Grants defensive efforts. That’s the veer for you! MT has a couple of athletes that can take it to the house on you.

MT’s defense struggled against Grant’s balanced attack. Their DBs were outmatched and Grants running backs had huge holes (the size of a school bus) to run through.

Take aways —Grant has two athletic 6’5 receivers and a smaller speedy receiver who is one of the fastest sprinters in the state. They are fun to watch! The QB looked good and the OLine gave him a lot of time to throw. Shore up that defense and get your kicking game together. Hopefully the running back isn’t hurt too badly. They also needed their star linebacker (who didn’t play) against that MT veer!

MT- has a few athletes that can take it to the house at any moment. Shore up that defense!

Good luck to both teams moving forward!
Good post.
Grant has some good athletes and more importantly, they have a QB that can get them the ball. Im not used to seeing a Grant QB scan the field like he did, and then drop some pretty dimes.

They will be tough to be beat playing like this and fun to watch in the playoffs.

Good post.
Grant has some good athletes and more importantly, they have a QB that can get them the ball. Im not used to seeing a Grant QB scan the field like he did, and then drop some pretty dimes.

They will be tough to be beat playing like this and fun to watch in the playoffs.
Sacchiefs no disrespect my friend,Grant will be tough to beat playing like this and fun to watch,where…in D3 or D1?Again i ask with no disrespect,thank you!

Good post.

Yeah he definitely threw some nice passes out there. (wishful thinking) I wish the OC would have thrown the ball downfield right out of that turnover on downs in the second quarter. MTs DBs were scared for life. You could see it clearly on film. A score there, would have put Grant up 20-7.

You could tell after the first sequence of possessions that both defenses would be in for a long night. I got to give credit to SacBee, they knew this game would be a high scoring contest.

The CIF-SJS has done some crazy things with Grant over the years. I’m not sure what their current enrollment is but it may place them in D3. Another reason could be due to their poor showing in the SFL.

They were forcfily placed into the SFL when their program was very unhealthy. Aged HC, who had to be forced out, left the program in bad shape. Took a few years to get back on track. Placing them in D3 could be some form of an apology to help the program get back on track via having a good playoff run.

I don’t think that Grant would just run through the D3 competition. Their Defense is nothing like what you and I are used to seeing. If it was, they’d definitely go to the Open game this year.

I think Grant will probably end up in D2 unless the SJS has a crowded field and opts to put Grant in D3.
I was kind of thinking maybe the reasons you just mentioned as well,i have many friends in the Grant Pacer program and they know me well….i brought the Placer Hillmen down to DPH to cheer on and support the Pacers back in 2010 after the previous yrs major interactions between Granite Bay and the Pacers faithful in GB where police and police dogs were brought in to keep peace i heard…i took some offense to all that nonsense and i approached the Pacer faithful right here on Norcal preps and i personally invited the Pacers,Coaches everyone to come to Auburn where they would be treated much different and they did and THEY WERE…Shaq Thompson and the Pacers and coaches showed up and our little community welcomed them with open arms,the Pacer faithul led by “The Black Swann,Guru G and others“ and Grant coaches had nice comfortable recliner lounge chairs in the upper left qtr of our stands,our faithful took pictures with and hung green and gold beeds around the players necks and they were free to walk around LeFevre Stadium and interact with our kids all they want with NO police or police dogs to make them feel uncomfortable or unwelcomed and everything was a lovefest….Joe Davidson of Sac Bee wrote article on it,called it “The Hills meet the Hood” this was after Grant won the state open vs LBP,so i guess i’ve thought of Grant as the big boys and couldn’t see Placer playing the Pacers and now here we are and i’m scratching my head to it’s reasoning!Thanks for clarity,much appreciated!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Last edited:
Champ! Please don't try to make sense of our playoff system. Brotha you could lose a year or two of your precious life trying to figure out the politics to HS football in California. Im like you I just dont get it
Yeah you’re right and i guess i shouldn’t,thx.So,with that said then let it be,let the chips fall where they may,if it is D3 for the Pacers than so be it…..and now comes Champ’s game face,lol,…” Hey Pacers and Pacer faithful the Champ loves ya,but the SJS D3 Championship runs through Auburn and our lil strawchewers this yr…..so Grant Pacers just remember,little brother isn’t going to just roll over for ya…”you‘re gonna have to bring it…to get it”.. Go Placer……how’s that Sacchiefs?🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
I was kind of thinking maybe the reasons you just mentioned as well,i have many friends in the Grant Pacer program and they know me well….i brought the Placer Hillmen down to DPH to cheer on and support the Pacers back in 2010 after the previous yrs major interactions between Granite Bay and the Pacers faithful in GB where police and police dogs were brought in to keep peace i heard…i took some offense to all that nonsense and i approached the Pacer faithful right here on Norcal preps and i personally invited the Pacers,Coaches everyone to come to Auburn where they would be treated much different and they did and THEY WERE…Shaq Thompson and the Pacers and coaches showed up and our little community welcomed them with open arms and they were free to walk around and interact with our kids with no police or police dogs and everything was a lovefest….Joe Davidson of Sac Bee wrote article on it,called it “The Hills meet the Hood” this was after Grant won the state open vs LBP,so i guess i’ve thought of Grant as the big boys and couldn’t see Placer playing the Pacers and now here we are and i’m scratching my head to it’s fairness!Thanks for clarity,much appreciated!👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I remember reading that article in the newspaper. That was a nice gesture and glad the programs had an opportunity to connect! I also remember you spearheading that meeting. Awesome!!!

Now that I think about it, CIF— North may be gearing up to strengthen D3 for the state championship games. Seems like the North is trying to dominate all of the non-Open state championship games. Putting Grant in D3, should they win out (that’s a big if), would bring big $$$$ to the CIF and a potential state championship.

Yeah he definitely threw some nice passes out there. (wishful thinking) I wish the OC would have thrown the ball downfield right out of that turnover on downs in the second quarter. MTs DBs were scared for life. You could see it clearly on film. A score there, would have put Grant up 20-7.

You could tell after the first sequence of possessions that both defenses would be in for a long night. I got to give credit to SacBee, they knew this game would be a high scoring contest.
Even tho it was early in the game, I 100 percent agree, I would have loved to seen them throw the ball after that punt and TOD. That was a huge turning point in the game. Instead of a potential lead of 20-7, that fumble on 1st down placed MT in great field position. They quickly scored and from that point on they maintained the lead. That was probably the best defensive series in the entire game. Grant forced a punt and on the next play the MT defense forced a fumble.

Grant plays in the D1 Metropolitan league,they are a good now 6-2 after almost beating a darn good Monterey Trail
last night in DPH 49-42 who are now 7-2 and headed to D1 playoffs…Metropolitan is a D1 league with only Laguna Creek now 7-2 a D2 team…my question is WHY is a good 6-2 Grant from D1 Metropolitan league with all these tall,speedy recievers and athletes everywhere it sounds like playing in the SJS D3 playoffs?I would like someone to clarify this if they can or know why because i just don’t get this,Grant should be at WORST in D2,imho! It’s being said here that last night’s game between Grant vs MT was a showcase of 2 evenly matched teams…both are in same D1 Metropolitan league….than again,WHY is Grant being seeded in the D3 playoffs,can someone ANYONE shine a little light here if you can or know why this is?Much appreciated….Streak,do you know,thoughts? Does anyone here feel that D4 Placer vs D1 Monterey Trail would be a showcase of 2 evenly matched teams as Grant vs MT…..me neither! Many of you here know me and i rely on the majority of you for your insight and in depth info on players,teams,tendencies,strenghths,weaknesses,good,bad whatever…i’m a sponge this time of yr when it comes to all this and i honestly appreciate everyone’s insight on EVERYTHING,sometimes i’m left wondering WHY something is…this is one of them! THANKS
The Metro is a D2 league. Monterey Trail is a borderline D1/D2 school that was locked into D1 for continued success, but was in D2 last season. Grant is a borderline D2/D3 school by enrollment that just happens to fall into the D3 category this season. Laguna Creek is D2 and Burbank is D3, as they usually are. The larger D1 schools in the Metro (McClatchy, River City, and Kennedy) are not traditionally good at football.

Reactions: championcif75
NFHS Network covering the Greenfield vs Stevenson game. Stevenson just scored to tied the game at 7 with 4:14 in the half.

Reactions: Streak One
The Metro is a D2 league. Monterey Trail is a borderline D1/D2 school that was locked into D1 for continued success, but was in D2 last season. Grant is a borderline D2/D3 school by enrollment that just happens to fall into the D3 category this season. Laguna Creek is D2 and Burbank is D3, as they usually areasking . The larger D1 schools in the Metro (McClatchy, River City, and Kennedy) are not traditionally good at football.
Thx MT,that’s pretty clarified i would say,lol,like i said,this time of yr i really relye on all the insight,info,in depth thoughts and opinions on teams,players,tendancies on and on i can sponge from all of you.i noticed that those larger schools the bottom 4-5 in Metro have a combined 6-26 record,something like that.But heck,i got a little excited there seeing Grant D3 after darn near beating what i consider to be a pretty darn good MT 49-42 last night.I’d like to thank you and Sacchiefs and BigMaan08 for helping me out,clarifying and easing tensions that were growing by the minute there with Grant,still for us smaller teams it does tweek us a little the wrong way…we’re not usually in same conversations with Grant or others like them.If it does happen with Grant in D3 and coming to Auburn to play rather than visit this yr with it appearing that Placer will be undefeated and possibly getting the nod with the #1 seeding i feel good knowing our boys will be as ready as they can be and will give the Pacers all they got….i’m sure of that!And hey…you just never know,stranger things have happened.😉😉😉Thanks again to all of you.👏👏👍🏻👍🏻

Last edited:
Capital Christian beats Sac High 51-14 to get their 4th win and qualify for the playoffs. After getting shut out in back to back weeks against Vista del Lago and Christian Brothers, they brought AD Aaron Garcia on to the coaching staff to run the offense and have responded with 50+ points the last three weeks. Will be a dangerous team in D4.

Capital Christian beats Sac High 51-14 to get their 4th win and qualify for the playoffs. After getting shut out in back to back weeks against Vista del Lago and Christian Brothers, they brought AD Aaron Garcia on to the coaching staff to run the offense and have responded with 50+ points the last three weeks. Will be a dangerous team in D4.
But none of the teams they beat even really try to play football, so come playoff time im still not sold…….how embarrassing for Coach Patu talk about showing your AD how terrible you are at your job

• Sad
Reactions: coachlittle

Grant asked to go to the SFL in football only during the last re-alignment. Monterey Trail requested to stay in the Delta for all sports at the same time. Neither team wanted to go to the Metro, at least as far as football was concerned. At the time it seemed a mistake, and in hindsight, the Section clearly made a mistake with both teams.

Grant is a borderline D2/D3 school by enrollment, even though they are larger than nine D2 schools. Those schools are all locked into D2 because of being in a D1 league, or because of continued success. It's kind of a fluke of the system that they are where they are. They really should be a middle-of-the-pack D2 school. There is less than a 200-student difference between the enrollment of the smallest D1 school (Gregori 2280) and the biggest D3 school (Grant 2088). If Manteca hadn't been forced up to D2 for continued success, Grant would have been in D2. That's just how it fell out this year.

Grant asked to go to the SFL in football only during the last re-alignment. Monterey Trail requested to stay in the Delta for all sports at the same time. Neither team wanted to go to the Metro, at least as far as football was concerned. At the time it seemed a mistake, and in hindsight, the Section clearly made a mistake with both teams.

Grant is a borderline D2/D3 school by enrollment, even though they are larger than nine D2 schools. Those schools are all locked into D2 because of being in a D1 league, or because of continued success. It's kind of a fluke of the system that they are where they are. They really should be a middle-of-the-pack D2 school. There is less than a 200-student difference between the enrollment of the smallest D1 school (Gregori 2280) and the biggest D3 school (Grant 2088). If Manteca hadn't been forced up to D2 for continued success, Grant would have been in D2. That's just how it fell out this year.
Also note that Central Catholic being asked to participate in D1 might be considered a wash of Manteca moving up to D2 (taking CC’s spot). But, agree that if CC moving up to D1 and Manteca staying in D3 would have opened a D2 opportunity for Grant.

But none of the teams they beat even really try to play football, so come playoff time im still not sold…….how embarrassing for Coach Patu talk about showing your AD how terrible you are at your job
Fair point. I would say Sac Hi and Del Campo did play competitive games with Vista del Lago, so I wouldn’t say they don’t try. If Capital were to play in D3 i wouldn’t give them much of a chance, but down in D4 it’s pretty wide open. No real dominant programs in that division.

Also note that Central Catholic being asked to participate in D1 might be considered a wash of Manteca moving up to D2 (taking CC’s spot). But, agree that if CC moving up to D1 and Manteca staying in D3 would have opened a D2 opportunity for Grant.
Yes. There are lots of moving parts each year. Del Oro got to move back down to D2 after being pushed into D1 for a couple years. On pure enrollment numbers, Del Oro should really be in D4. Elk Grove is a mid-enrollment D3 but is locked into D2 at the lowest and will be in D1 due to a league championship. It is all laid out on paper and makes sense in a way, but it also can seem a bit bewildering at times.

The CIF-SJS makes up things as they go!

Grant is typically a d3 enrollment school. They participated in the D1 football playoffs, through the 2005 season, in which they lost in the championship game. Ironically enough, GHS was moved to Division 2 the year that the bowl games became a thing, which made no sense to any of us. Everyone in CA knew that they practically had everybody coming back for the 2006 season. And across the state, Division 1 football is looked at as the best sectional division. For some reason or another CIF-SJS was working to make SJS D2 stronger. .My issue is Del Oro had a similiar enrollment than Grant's but were allowed to remain in D2/3 (throughout their spectacular run in the 90's-2000's). Made no sense to me...

The SFL football only request was nothing but a far cry to prevent Grant from going back to the Metro; where they really didn't want to go beat up on McClatchy, Kennedy, and River City etc. Those games are very dangerous and lopsided when played.

*****The move to the SFL was bittersweet*****

That move was dictated by the head coach and should have been stopped by the SJS. (the community did not support it) It ended up backfiring on the coach...

GHS had years where they went 2-5 and 4-3 in the Delta league. They weren't dominating the Delta league (with the exception of their 3 undefeated regular seasons).

Last edited:
The CIF-SJS makes up things as they go!

Grant is typically a d3 enrollment school. They participated in the D1 football playoffs, through the 2005 season, in which they lost in the championship game. Ironically enough, GHS was moved to Division 2 the year that the bowl games became a thing, which made no sense to any of us. Everyone in CA knew that they practically had everybody coming back for the 2006 season. And across the state, Division 1 football is looked at as the best sectional division. For some reason or another CIF-SJS was working to make SJS D2 stronger. .My issue is Del Oro had a similiar enrollment than Grant's but were allowed to remain in D2/3 (throughout their spectacular run in the 90's-2000's). Made no sense to me...

The SFL football only request was nothing but a far cry to prevent Grant from going back to the Metro; where they really didn't want to go beat up on McClatchy, Kennedy, and River City etc. Those games are very dangerous and lopsided when played.

*****The move to the SFL was bittersweet*****

That move was dictated by the head coach and should have been stopped by the SJS. (the community did not support it) It ended up backfiring on the coach...

GHS had years where they went 2-5 and 4-3 in the Delta league. They weren't dominating the Delta league (with the exception of their 3 undefeated regular seasons).
The original make-up of the Metro on that re-alignment was supposed to include Grant, Monterey Trail, Sheldon, McClatchy, River City, Kennedy, and Burbank. Laguna Creek argued to stay the Metro with that make-up rather than getting dropped down to the Greater Sacramento with Valley and Florin.

Had the Section created that league (with LC included), it would have been a top-heavy but decent league for football much of the time. Letting Sheldon exit and letting Grant go to the SFL for football-only really messed up any sense of balance. I'm just hoping the Section gets its act together on the next realignment. If the league had more balance, it could produce some really interesting games, rather than one or two teams routing everybody.

Sheldon had good seasons in 2018, 2021, and now 2022. Grant would not have bottomed out had they played in that Metro. MT would have had at least a couple of games with some drama for those years. Laguna Creek would have still improved as they have over the last few seasons. It just would have been better all around for everyone.

The original make-up of the Metro on that re-alignment was supposed to include Grant, Monterey Trail, Sheldon, McClatchy, River City, Kennedy, and Burbank. Laguna Creek argued to stay the Metro with that make-up rather than getting dropped down to the Greater Sacramento with Valley and Florin.

Had the Section created that league (with LC included), it would have been a top-heavy but decent league for football much of the time. Letting Sheldon exit and letting Grant go to the SFL for football-only really messed up any sense of balance. I'm just hoping the Section gets its act together on the next realignment. If the league had more balance, it could produce some really interesting games, rather than one or two teams routing everybody.

Sheldon had good seasons in 2018, 2021, and now 2022. Grant would not have bottomed out had they played in that Metro. MT would have had at least a couple of games with some drama for those years. Laguna Creek would have still improved as they have over the last few seasons. It just would have been better all around for everyone.
Makes sense…. I’m no longer a huge fan of football leagues because the programs/coaching change hands so much.

But if I was going to start a city league it would be with Grant, Inderkum, MT, and Sheldon… Great Football and Basketball….

City league...Grant, Indy, Jesuit, Sac, Capital, CBS.

MT wanted no part of being in the Metro and was all but forced into it. MT contacted us when we were still at Indy, MT wanted to swap w/Indy our have Indy join the metro. Indy wanted no part of the metro as well. MT was stuck w/no other option, but they tried hard to not have their football team in the Metro.

There was a plan to have Indy in the SFL for this realingment to take over for Grant when they left. I think that has changed and it never made sense for the other sports anyways. You notice when a team from north sac gets good they get put them in the SFL, weird. Natomas was forced the in early 2000's agter 1 year of successb. Grant was forced, then chose the SFL as it was really the only option, Indy was going to the SFL but probably won't now.

City league...Grant, Indy, Jesuit, Sac, Capital, CBS.

MT wanted no part of being in the Metro and was all but forced into it. MT contacted us when we were still at Indy, MT wanted to swap w/Indy our have Indy join the metro. Indy wanted no part of the metro as well. MT was stuck w/no other option, but they tried hard to not have their football team in the Metro.

There was a plan to have Indy in the SFL for this realingment to take over for Grant when they left. I think that has changed and it never made sense for the other sports anyways. You notice when a team from north sac gets good they get put them in the SFL, weird. Natomas was forced the in early 2000's agter 1 year of successb. Grant was forced, then chose the SFL as it was really the only option, Indy was going to the SFL but probably won't now.
That wouldn’t be a bad league…

I like the idea of Jesuit, CC, and CBS being in the league together. Although I would probably pair them with Folsom and Oak Ridge.

It just depends. No perfect leagues, no simple answers. Jesuit would really cry if they got forced into that league 😆

• Haha
Reactions: BigMann08
hahahahaha I actually think this might wake Jesuit up out of their sleep. We've basically just grouped all the schools that people accuse of recruiting in one league. If we put them all in the same league, maybe everyone will stop complaining and accusing!

And we all know, that nobody has heard the recruiting allegations (over the years) more than Jesuit lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT