ADVERTISEMENT

Who are Nor Cal Open representatives as of today?

Ol' Brick Layer

Superstar
Nov 16, 2014
SMS v. Mitty
SI v. Salesian
Miramonte v. Carondelet
Pinewood v. Vanden

Does Brookside make it???
Is SHC's charge enough to deserve consideration???
Can we do like SoCal and reduce the field to 6, or 4???

Will Pwood tank a game like that game last year
at Milpitas in the CCS Open and go on to win another D5
State title?
smile.r191677.gif

Will Mitty wiggle out of the Open and go on to win another
state title....

With SMS the clear favorite...
Why not figure a way out and try to go win another
D2 or D5 title?????

This post was edited on 1/21 7:14 AM by jazzpt55

Although I really like the match ups above, especially Carondelet v. Miramonte, with the winner likely playing SI, could the selection committee follow the lead of what they did in football, where DLS got the automatic bid, and automatically place SMS as NorCal's representative in the Open? By doing so, NorCal would have a strong showing in State Championships. Diluting the divisions in NorCal by sending eight teams to Open, gives a significant advantage to larger SoCal.

It would be extremely disappointing if coaches were to coach their players to give less than their best in order to avoid the Open. What does that teach our girls?

The CSS Open has given coaches a chance to opt out by playing basically one bad
qtr of basketball...probably not what the CCS intended...what would be interesting if say Mitty played Pwood in the CCS Open Semis and both coaches had the same idea
smile.r191677.gif

The players would not have to give less ...this would be totally on the coaches...
I am sure they could find a way to make it workout...the important game is that CCS semi...
if you lose that game you are most likely are out of the CIF Open...

In the South we have 4 teams MD, SC, Chaminade and LBP and each one of them
wants to beat the other 3.... and feel they could do it...

I think its real hard to pick the 7 and 8 seed in Norcal open right now????

1) SMS vs 8) ???????????
4) SI vs 5) Carondelet
3) Pinewood vs 6) Mitty
2) MM vs 7) ???????????

Does SHC win the CCS open? That will change a lot of the seeding with already wins over SI and Brookside
Does Vanden win out and win SJS section???? They would be a lock for the Open..
Does Brookside win out and win there section??? They have a win over Salesian by 11 points.
Does Salesian win out and win there section??? They have a win over SHC.
Does BOD win out and win there section??? That's means they beat MM in sections changes everything.

This year will have to wait until the end of section to find out who will be in the open?

Now about just sending SMS to the OPEN I don't think that will ever happen. Teams that want to be in the Open are those teams that want to challenged to be the best have to beat the best because since the started the Open winning division that the teams are in real doesn't mean any thing in away. Some teams will settle for that but why that's like saying its ok to sale yourself short for anything. But saying that not all teams belong in the open but if a team is one of the top teams winning a division championship wont mean much. So tanking a game to when a state championship teaches the players that its ok to do wrong if you don't get caught. But I don't think Pinewood would do that because it doesn't matter how many state championships it win they will always be in D5 in the CCS. If Pinewood was in a different section they would be in at least D3 right now. So they don't have to tank any think at all ! By stay in D5 is that important to win so be it!!!!!!!!!

If they got to 8, here is my breakdown:

NCS (3): Carondelet, Miramonte (assuming win over BOD), winner of SMB/Salesian
CCS (3): Two WCALs and Pinewood
SJS (2): St. Mary's-Stockton and either Brookside or Vanden

If they choose not to fill a full bracket, I think the CCS goes down to 2 first and then the SJS goes down to one.

I think MM is in the open regardless just like EC was on the boys side last year as a well qualified Sectional runner-up. Otherwise, totally agree.

I think to hang another
D2 or D5 state campion ship banner
Means something....
Don't buy into other people's
Madness....create your own :)

In my opinion....

NCS...CLET and MM

CCS......SI and 2nd place CCS open...assuming SI makes it to the section final....

SJS...SMS and Vanden

as far as the last last 2....if Brookside and Salesian BOTH win sections.....Brookside is pulled up....maybe both..

if not both...then a 3rd team from CCS....

of course IF there is an upset in the sections along the way....say Salesian or Brookside don't win their section,
or if SI is upset by Mitty or Pinewood or SHC in the semis, or if Odowd beats MM.....then of course anything could happen..

But I think the 6 I have named are pretty locked in at this point...in my opinion

Vanden is interesting due to their lack of championship success. I don't think they have ever won a section title and haven't made a NorCal final in their history.

It is a similar argument to Monte Vista boys last year.

Maybe they will get the rankings criteria (Top 10 on Cal Hi Sports, CalPreps or MaxPreps). Besides that, they will have to opt up I think.

If Vanden has to opt up.....why would they do that with SMS lurking?

Didn't SMS beat them by 40? 50? in their foundation game?

If Im them, best to stay in D3 and take my chances...no question.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT