ADVERTISEMENT

1/17/2023 Nor-Cal Open Candidates update

M.C. fan

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2022
After last week's games some teams that were budding to be an Open destination have had the door closed.
I have selected/edited teams who I feel is Open worthy.

Central Section Candidates
Saint Joseph of Santa Maria tough loss for the Knights to #1 Nor-Cal power MC, however a very good team. Looking solid
Clovis North of Clovis another test at Monterey Trail will increase the Broncos chances or eliminate Open bid.
Clovis West of Clovis Golden Eagles need to win in league over Clovis North next week. Looking solid.

Central Coast Section Candidates
Archbishop Mitty of San Jose Big game between Crusaders and Monarchs tonight. Looking Solid.
Archbishop Riordan of San Francisco Could be wavering after losing to Jesuit. Crusaders have opportunity.
to improve. Looking solid.

North Coast Section
Cardinal Newman of Santa Rosa loss to Windsor dents but not pushing out of contention. Cardinals need Help.
De La Salle of Concord huge win for the Spartans over West Linn at home. Looking solid.
Dougherty Valley of San Ramon wildcats face So-Cal Power Notre Dame of Sherman Oaks. Looking solid.
San Ramon Valley of San Ramon loss to Cal will make it harder for the Wolves to an at large bid to the open.
Salesian of Albany Pride nice win over a tough Capital Christian team, looking solid.
Branson of Ross Bulls taking care of business in Marin County. Looking solid.
Clayton Valley Charter of Clayton Ugly Eagles big win over Campolindo and Monte Vista, looking solid.
Dublin has big matchups this week with Cal and DLS. Gaels face uphill battle but still possible.
Campolindo of Moraga tough loss to CVC might be too much to overcome unless they win NCS Open, this might be Cougars last stand to get back to the Open.

Northern Section
Pleasant Valley of Chico Losing to Lincoln of Stockton will likely eliminate any at large bid.

Sac-Joaquin Section
Modesto Christian looking solid. Tough games with big showdowns at Quincy Shootout on Friday versus Saint Rita of Chicago, then Saturday vs. Vashon of Saint Louis.
Folsom Can show why they are a top team Saturday at Moreau Catholic. Bulldogs are bullying their opponents. Looking solid.
Jesuit of Carmichael big win over Riordan. If healthy the Marauders can beat anyone. Looking solid.
Inderkum of Sacramento Tigers should cruise through league play. Looking solid.
Vanden of Fairfield tough loses to Bishop Montgomery of Torrance and Saint John Bosco of Bellflower, another tough matchup for the Vikings on Saturday at Redondo Union of Redondo Beach. Another loss and they will be re-directed to Divisional playoffs.
Atwater if the Falcons remain undefeated, they might not want to be selected to the Open. The C.I.F. likes to place emerging teams in the mix. Needs Help

Last edited:
Some of those teams have no chance for CIF Open. I’ll go with. MC, Mitty, SJS finalists, 2 maybe 3 from NCS, St Joes & Clovis ( West or North) that’s 7/8

Some of those teams have no chance for CIF Open. I’ll go with. MC, Mitty, SJS finalists, 2 maybe 3 from NCS, St Joes & Clovis ( West or North) that’s 7/8
It can be up to 8, you might be right with only 7 bids. I think all of the teams listed have a chance at this point. What North Coast Section teams are your favorites? Only one selection from CCS?

There were only 7 in the NorCal Open last year. It seems like Mitty & Riordan are headed for an eventual showdown in the CCS finals and I would have to think they’d both be chosen for NorCal Open spots.

It’ll be interesting to see what comes up from Central but St. Joseph looked scary as hell last night. If I’m a NorCal team, I’m hoping they get placed in SoCal!

It can be up to 8, you might be right with only 7 bids. I think all of the teams listed have a chance at this point. What North Coast Section teams are your favorites? Only one selection from CCS?
My NCS picks - Dougherty Valley, Salesian, DLS or San Ramon. Whoever makes finals for NCS Open are CIF Open I believe. Sleeper is Branson but they lost to Clayton Valley who beat Campo who beat Branson. Lots of good hoops ahead

MC
Folsom
Mitty
Dougherty Valley
DLS
Salesian
Jesuit (if Andrej returns)

Maybe a Clovis Team or SRV? Riordan loss to Jesuit was not good. Especially after Folsom ran them off the floor.

I think there will be seven with two from CCS Open finalists, two from NCS Open Finalists, two from SJS D1 finalists and the Central Section Open Division winner. Could change if Central Section winner goes south and add a third from NCS.

MC
Folsom
Mitty
Dougherty Valley
DLS
Salesian

Maybe a Clovis Team or SRV? Riordan loss to Jesuit was not good. Especially after Folsom ran them off the floor.
Riordan bounces back with a 10 point win over Mitty last night. Both teams were missing some key players.

Last edited:
MC
Folsom
Mitty
Dougherty Valley
DLS
Salesian

These are high school kids who have off nights. Jesuit beat Rio by 40 who beat Folsom and then Jesuit (short handed ) lays a total egg against Folsom and then two days later beats riordan who the next day beats mitty. In the SJS the two teams who make the section finale will get the NorCal open bids. I think it will be MC and with Folsom, Inderkum or Jesuit.

These are high school kids who have off nights. Jesuit beat Rio by 40 who beat Folsom and then Jesuit (short handed ) lays a total egg against Folsom and then two days later beats riordan who the next day beats mitty. In the SJS the two teams who make the section finale will get the NorCal open bids. I think it will be MC and with Folsom, Inderkum or Jesuit.
People missing matters. Folsom was without key people that Rio game. (I was there). No way does Folsom do that to Jesuit with Andrej playing. He’s just too much of a mismatch. But after seeing all these teams , a healthy Folsom is #1 in sac area with a healthy Jesuit close.

NorCal Open this year appears to be really competitive! You got Modesto Christian who lost to West Linn, OR, who DeLa beat. Dougherty Valley has not yet lost to a team from NorCal. Then you got Mitty who beat DeLa, Moreau Catholic and Jesuit. You got Folsom who beat Jesuit but lost to Moreau Catholic. Jesuit defeated Riordan. Then Riordan defeats Mitty. Gonna be a great NorCals! Open candidates still lurking with the 2nd half of league starting are San Ramon Valley, Dublin, Salesian, Campo and Granada.

Last edited:
When the OPEN first began there were criteria which you needed to fulfill to be chosen to the open . Most of the teams talked about on this thread don’t meet any former open criteria. Has the criteria changed so that they just choose the top 6-8 teams.

Article is from 2012. All Section commissioners are as is states in article that they can make the case to be brought up or stay in division. Unless we know what, each teams' ambitions are, then we will await. Projecting teams at this point is for potential. As example from the list above, DV isn't an Open team? What teams would you say are projected? List them, not insinuate that we have just picked teams out of the air.

Last edited:
Again yes that article is 2012 which was the criteria that was set I don’t believe anything was ever changed other than the CIF just doing whatever they want on the year-to-year basis.
Now it just may be their model where they just ranked teams one through 80 etc. and put the top eight in open the next 16 and D1 etc. There are no true divisions anymore in Norcal

I think they have gone away from the criteria and now just rank teams and place in "divisions" with 7 or 8 to Open, then 16 in Division I and so on.

There was discussion in 2013 when Monte Vista was clearly one of the top teams in NorCal but didn't qualify on criteria. I think they were given the choice to opt up and went for D1 (and won state title).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT