ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Open game site

I trust the CIF will finally choose a Northern California site. It has been very unfair these 8-9 years for Nor Cal teams to have to travel to So Cal.

And for basketball SoCal says the state championship site is unfair as well since it's played in Sacramento for the past several years. But would love to see the football locally though.

This post was edited on 12/18 11:46 AM by jimmyzr1

Basketball did go down to Bakerfield a couple of years ago, so hopefully they'll throw NorCal a bone for football. And hopefully for all the games and not just the Open.

I am a norcal guy and unless they alternate the basketball games I don't see why they should bring the football games up here. I also hope to god that we can get away from the soccer stadium, that's the biggest travesty to me is that in California we play our Football state championships on a gosh darn soccer field lol. I think the LA Coliseum is the clear choice from that list. I think the games need more nostalgia especially for those majority of kids who wont go on to play at the next level. The Rose Bowl would be the ultimate site, LA Coliseum, Memorial Coliseum (Berkeley), and Stanford Stadium (The Farm) would be the best choices in my book.

Originally posted by FAR_NORTHERN:
I am a norcal guy and unless they alternate the basketball games I don't see why they should bring the football games up here. I also hope to god that we can get away from the soccer stadium, that's the biggest travesty to me is that in California we play our Football state championships on a gosh darn soccer field lol. I think the LA Coliseum is the clear choice from that list. I think the games need more nostalgia especially for those majority of kids who wont go on to play at the next level. The Rose Bowl would be the ultimate site, LA Coliseum, Memorial Coliseum (Berkeley), and Stanford Stadium (The Farm) would be the best choices in my book.
Clear Choice????

No offense FAR, but no one wants to play or watch a game surrounded by 70,000 empty seats. All those sites you listed are wayyyyy too big for the SBG. In Texas, maybe. In California, keep. The size to 15-20k and turf field. Sac St seems about right, send hoops to SoCal for a few years. I think a rotating 'every other year' with both BBall and Fball would keep attend ace up and things fresh for both Nor Cal and So Cal.

It seems the CIF will be going to 13 games next year so north,south and Central should all get some games.of course the open is the one we want to see.

I am with you as far as not wanting empty but DLS vs centenial would be lucky to draw the 21k sac state holds, I agree it sucks to play in a stadium that isnt full, but if we are gonna do it I think we ought to do it big and give those kids a chance to play where the greats have played. But I do agree its a tough trade off.

Originally posted by mrbig864:

Clear Choice????

No offense FAR, but no one wants to play or watch a game surrounded by 70,000 empty seats. All those sites you listed are wayyyyy too big for the SBG. In Texas, maybe. In California, keep. The size to 15-20k and turf field. Sac St seems about right, send hoops to SoCal for a few years. I think a rotating 'every other year' with both BBall and Fball would keep attend ace up and things fresh for both Nor Cal and So Cal.
+1 AMEN As a Folsom parent for the last 7 years, I can tell you that the venue AND the distance have a huge impact on the experience for the kids. StubHub is great, size wise, for these games. A packed house feels much better than pockets of fans surrounded by oceans of empty seats. Even playing the basketball games at ARCO gives the feeling of emptiness even if an entire student body shows up to support their classmates.

I know already that the impact will be seen this year. With kids having finals until 2:00pm on Friday, it pretty much makes it impossible for any Folsom students to see their classmates play 500+ miles away. For a lot of families, between younger siblings being in school and getting time off work, they are lucky if A parent can't make it there. Meanwhile, their opponents can treat it like any other Friday night game....get a full day of school...have a meal & a walk through...then get on a bus and go to the game.

The community supports their football extremely well, having no problem filling half of Sac State (+10k+/-) and in 2010 brought bus loads of students and families for about 4k in Carson. I would be surprised if we could muster 1-1.5k tomorrow. After seeing Folsom play in Home Depot (now StubHub), UC Davis, Sac State, DVC and all variety of HS stadiums, I can say that nothing beats the atmosphere of a packed house at Sac State. The facility leaves a lot to be desired, but the atmosphere of full stands and 2-3 deep on the fence can't be beat.

awood1 posted on 12/19/2014...
Originally posted by mrbig864:

Clear Choice????

+1 AMEN As a Folsom parent for the last 7 years, I can tell you that the venue AND the distance have a huge impact on the experience for the kids. StubHub is great, size wise, for these games. A packed house feels much better than pockets of fans surrounded by oceans of empty seats. Even playing the basketball games at ARCO gives the feeling of emptiness even if an entire student body shows up to support their classmates.

I know already that the impact will be seen this year. With kids having finals until 2:00pm on Friday, it pretty much makes it impossible for any Folsom students to see their classmates play 500+ miles away. For a lot of families, between younger siblings being in school and getting time off work, they are lucky if A parent can't make it there. Meanwhile, their opponents can treat it like any other Friday night game....get a full day of school...have a meal & a walk through...then get on a bus and go to the game.

The community supports their football extremely well, having no problem filling half of Sac State (+10k+/-) and in 2010 brought bus loads of students and families for about 4k in Carson. I would be surprised if we could muster 1-1.5k tomorrow. After seeing Folsom play in Home Depot (now StubHub), UC Davis, Sac State, DVC and all variety of HS stadiums, I can say that nothing beats the atmosphere of a packed house at Sac State. The facility leaves a lot to be desired, but the atmosphere of full stands and 2-3 deep on the fence can't be beat.

Totally agree awood1..

Sac State is a helluva football venue when the seats are filled. I was at the Grant/Folsom game in 2010 and every part of that game from beginning to end had a buzz like none other. The atmosphere at Sac State is great for NorCal but Fresno State would be a great venue for the state championship games. You have to maximize the best opportunity to get both sides of the state to these games. Even Ratcliffe Stadium would be a great venue if turfed out. Home field of the Fresno City College Rams.

This post was edited on 12/19 6:32 AM by PGownsWHITNEY

Few pics of Ratcliffe Stadium. Home of the WCR.

PG

While I appreciate Fresno's central location, I think you'd have a smaller turnout there than both LA or Sac/Bay Area. If a fan will drive 3-4 hours, they'll drive 6 or 7. The fans of the schools make us a fair amount of the fans, but the larger majority are simply HS FB fans from the area. keeping the games in So cal or Nor Cal (versus less populated central cal) is the way to go

Sounds like 5 games will be there. So either all of the bowl games under the current format or five of the 13 games in the new format.

Sacramento State is a good venue for it. The area supports prep sports well and it is a good size for big high school events.

That is great news having these games in Sacramento. I will love to watch these games in person.

Going to 13 bowl games will totally dilute state games. Who proposed that silly idea?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT