ADVERTISEMENT

2019 PCAL Predictions

Dec 20, 2018
It's never to early too talk football. Below are my predictions for the PCAL based off what I know and think.

Gabilan
1. Salinas
2.Palma
3.Aptos
4. Carmel
5.Hollister
6.Alvarez
7.Christopher
8.Gilroy

Mission
1.Monterey
2.MVC
3.Alisal
4.Seaside
5.North Salinas
6.Soledad
7.Scotts Valley

Cypress
1.SLV
2.Soquel
3.Watsonville
4. NMC
5.Gonzales
6.King City
7.Santa Cruz

Santa Lucia
1. Pacific Grove
2.Greenfield
3.St Francis SCP
4.Stevenson
5.Pajaro Valley
6.Harbor
7.Marina

Last edited:
You might have the earliest 2019 forecast in the nation!!!!

Alvarez may surprise a few teams in the Gab. They have a pretty good senior class. Not going to win the Gab but competitive with a few teams ranked ahead. Palma if they do the work could be really good. Salinas will have a great passing attack but defense will be questiionmark. Aptos will be decent with returning QB and Palma will need to figure out how to defend the Wing-T. Palma line may be really good and lots of speed at skill positions.

I have gone ahead and updated my predictions.

QUOTE="CCSorBust, post: 222547, member: 8427"]It's never to early too talk football. Below are my predictions for the PCAL based off what I know and think.

Gabilan
1. Salinas
2.Palma
3.Aptos
4. Carmel
5.Hollister
6.Christopher
7.Alvarez
8.Gilroy

Mission
1.Monterey
2.MVC
3.Alisal
4.Seaside
5.North Salinas
6.Soledad
7.Scotts Valley

Cypress
1.SLV
2.Soquel
3.Watsonville
4. NMC
5.Gonzales
6.King City
7.Santa Cruz

Santa Lucia
1. Pacific Grove
2.Greenfield
3.St Francis SCP
4.Stevenson
5.Pajaro Valley
6.Harbor
7.Marina[/QUOTE]

Reactions: RLS13
Wow, that is quite the updated standings, switching Alvarez and Christopher. It is good to have faith in your December predictions.

So the CCS starts play this weekend. Here is how I see the four divisions of the PCAL shaping up.

Gabilan (A) Division- I believe this is the 2nd best DIVISION behind the WCAL in the CCS from top to bottom (not the second best league). I think it will be a dog fight between Salinas and Palma. But do not overlook the recent success of Aptos

1. Palma has almost everyone coming back but the QB. They have depth up and down the line and have some great athletes at the skill positions. This should be an easy transition for the new QB. Because of their depth I am taking them to beat out Salinas for the title. (Prediction 9-1)

2. Salinas has the best QB in the area and arguably the whole CCS. Imagine if he would have followed his brother to Palma. Salinas will be good, and they will be big. I believe Palma just has a little bit more returning at the skill positions (Prediction 8-2)

3. Aptos is like a mini DLS in terms of execution. They run the wing and they run it well. They lost some of their top linemen and some good skill positions. But with that system and coach they will reload. (Prediction 7-3)

4. Hollister seems to have fallen off just a bit in recent years. They still have very large numbers, but it seems they do not have as many athletes as in the past. This year’s team will be competitive, and I believe they will edge out Carmel for the 4th spot (Prediction 5-5)

5. Carmel has been one of the most successful CCS programs for the past 11 years. Their reward, a place in the Gabilan. This year’s team will score points, but their defense is young, and they are thin in the trenches. They may be able to knock off one of the teams above them, but their lack of depth will catch up to them. (Prediction 6-4)

6. Christopher has to do a little bit of rebuilding this year and looks like they will have 55+ man roster to build from. The unfortunate thing for the Cougars is this league is just so dam tough. (Prediction 3-7)

7. Gilroy A new coach and a new system. I don’t know the reasons why, but it is a shame when a school and a coach can’t get along. Gilroy was poised to have a fantastic program, but their coach left after the 2017 CCS DV championship. 1-8 last year with only 2 close games. It can only get better? (Prediction 3-7)

8. Alvarez has a bit more stability this year as their coach returns for a 2nd stint. But they have already felt the ramifications of Rancho San Juan opening, as overall numbers in the program have dropped and they were forced to fold the freshmen team. (prediction 2-8)

Mission (Upper B) Division- I see this being a 2 man race between Monterey and MVC. Both of them will be ticketed to the Gabilan next year.

1. MVC took full advantage of the rift between Gilroy and it’s old HC. This is a small private school that wants to win and the administration is behind the sports programs 100%. (RLS should take notes!!) This will be their second year with the dive option and look for them to run it to perfection. This discipline will get them by Monterey. Biggest obstacle will be their depth. (Prediction 8-2)

2. Monterey will be the fastest team in the whole PCAL. They just need to be able to get the ball into their play maker's hands. They will need consistent QB play. The team is loaded but is a bit un-disciplined. Coach Lusk has done a great job of bringing pride back to the program. (prediction 7-3)

3. Alisal will run the ball. Then they will run it again and again. They will be very big in the trenches, but MVC and Monterey may be a bit too fast for them.(Prediction 6-4)

4. Soledad made the playoffs with a 3-7 record. They won the right 3 games last year. They should be a little bit better and if they “upset” Alisal again they may sneak back into the playoffs. (Prediction 4-6)

5. Seaside is probably ecstatic to be out of the Gabilan. They will be much more competitive in the Mission, but they are still rebuilding that program. I also think that they maybe losing some athletes to Monterey due to open enrollment. (Prediction 4-6)

6. Scott’s Valley had a coaching legend step down. Couple that with a small roster, the Falcons could be in for a long season. (Prediction 3-7)

7. North Salinas lost 21 seniors and almost all their skill positions on an average team. They have some solid size and depth upfront, but they will need establish some skill players to stay competitive. (Prediction 1-9)

Cyprus (Lower B)- This may be the most competitive division. Some of theses teams could make a case to be in the Mission. Truly 1-6 is almost a coin flip. These would be some fun games for the “pick em”

1. Gonzales is turning the corner. They lost the one of the best athletes in the area, but they have swagger and a confidence to them. Their coach has done a great job of bringing pride back to the program. (Prediction 8-2)

2. San Lorenzo Valley will not have headsets this year in the QB’s helmet. This is a great program and I would not be surprised if they won the title. (Prediction 8-2)

3. King City will look to rebound after a tough year last season. They played a lot of Sophomores last year now they are a bit seasoned. If they can stay healthy they will be very competitive. (Prediction 7-3)

4. North Monterey County Will look to turn the corner this year. They have had a few tough years but now they have new stadium with a re-new energy on campus. Lets see if it translates inot more wins. (Prediction 5-5)

5. Watsonville was dropped down last year due to struggling in the Mission. They have some laorge numbers and had a successful JV team last year. That could provide them enough for a run in the Cyprus. (Prediction 5-5)

6. Soquel has some good athletes coming back and had some success last year in the lower Santa Lucia. Ijut don’t know if they will have the depth to beat out the teams in front of them. (Prediction 4-6)

7. Santa Cruz Probably should have been moved down, Apparently PG and ST. Francis CC made a better case. I hope they can turn things around, but I have heard turnout is still an issue. (Prediction 1-9)

Santa Lucia (C)- So here is where teams come to start a foundation or in some cases rebuild a foundation of success.

1. Pacific Grove should probably have stayed up a division. They struggled last year but they were young. Numbers are still small this year on the Varsity, but they have enough talent and a coaching staff that knows how to be successful. (Prediction 7-3)

2. RLS has the same problem they face every year. Being a boarding school that focuses on academics they are just getting the team back. Only about 20 of the 50 players in the program live locally. They are young and have some talent. I believe they are 1 year off from winning a league title. But they may challenge this year. (Prediction 7-2)

3. St. Francis CC moves down, they were competitive last year which is saying something as in most games they only had 15-18 suiting up. They have some talent at the skill positions, they could just use a larger turnout. (Prediction 6-4)

4. Greenfield could be the surprise here. They have a large turnout of kids and now have a 2nd year with a new coach. I would not be surprised if they give the 3 in front of them a big challenge. (Prediction 4-6)

5. Pajaro Valley needs to taste some success. This school has struggled ever since it started a program. Hopefully they can win some games. (Prediction 3-7)

6. Marina receives 0 help form the school district. As both Monterey and Seaside receive new facilities Marina gets nothing. The MPUSD should either invest in the school’s sports facilities or change it into a charter school and allow the kids to play at the other 2 high schools. (Prediction 1-9)

7. Harbor did not win a game in arguably the worst division in the CCS. I saw them at a 7v7 and it looks like they have some good skill players. But until they can get some consistency I will pick them last. (Prediction 1-9)

Last edited:
So the CCS starts play this weekend. Here is how I see the four divisions of the PCAL shaping up.

Gabilan (A) Division- I believe this is the 2nd best league behind the WCAL in the CCS from top to bottom. I think it will be a dog fight between Salinas and Palma. But do not overlook the recent success of Aptos

1. Palma has almost everyone coming back but the QB. They have depth up and down the line and have some great athletes at the skill positions. This should be an easy transition for the new QB. Because of their depth I am taking them to beat out Salinas for the title. (Prediction 9-1)

2. Salinas has the best QB in the area and arguably the whole CCS. Imagine if he would have followed his brother to Palma. Salinas will be good, and they will be big. I believe Palma just has a little bit more returning at the skill positions (Prediction 8-2)

3. Aptos is like a mini DLS in terms of execution. They run the wing and they run it well. They lost some of their top linemen and some good skill positions. But with that system and coach they will reload. (Prediction 7-3)

4. Hollister seems to have fallen off just a bit in recent years. They still have very large numbers, but it seems they do not have as many athletes as in the past. This year’s team will be competitive, and I believe they will edge out Carmel for the 4th spot (Prediction 5-5)

5. Carmel has been one of the most successful CCS programs for the past 11 years. Their reward, a place in the Gabilan. This year’s team will score points, but their defense is young, and they are thin in the trenches. They may be able to knock off one of the teams above them, but their lack of depth will catch up to them. (Prediction 6-4)

6. Christopher has to do a little bit of rebuilding this year and looks like they will have 55+ man roster to build from. The unfortunate thing for the Cougars is this league is just so dam tough. (Prediction 3-7)

7. Gilroy A new coach and a new system. I don’t know the reasons why, but it is a shame when a school and a coach can’t get along. Gilroy was poised to have a fantastic program, but their coach left after the 2017 CCS DV championship. 1-8 last year with only 2 close games. It can only get better? (Prediction 3-7)

8. Alvarez has a bit more stability this year as their coach returns for a 2nd stint. But they have already felt the ramifications of Rancho San Juan opening, as overall numbers in the program have dropped and they were forced to fold the freshmen team. (prediction 2-8)

Mission (Upper B) Division- I see this being a 2 man race between Monterey and MVC. Both of them will be ticketed to the Gabilan next year.

1. MVC took full advantage of the rift between Gilroy and it’s old HC. This is a small private school that wants to win and the administration is behind the sports programs 100%. (RLS should take notes!!) This will be their second year with the dive option and look for them to run it to perfection. This discipline will get them by Monterey. Biggest obstacle will be their depth. (Prediction 8-2)

2. Monterey will be the fastest team in the whole PCAL. They just need to be able to get the ball into their play maker's hands. They will need consistent QB play. The team is loaded but is a bit un-disciplined. Coach Lusk has done a great job of bringing pride back to the program. (prediction 7-3)

3. Alisal will run the ball. Then they will run it again and again. They will be very big in the trenches, but MVC and Monterey may be a bit too fast for them.(Prediction 6-4)

4. Soledad made the playoffs with a 3-7 record. They won the right 3 games last year. They should be a little bit better and if they “upset” Alisal again they may sneak back into the playoffs. (Prediction 4-6)

5. Seaside is probably ecstatic to be out of the Gabilan. They will be much more competitive in the Mission, but they are still rebuilding that program. I also think that they maybe losing some athletes to Monterey due to open enrollment. (Prediction 4-6)

6. Scott’s Valley had a coaching legend step down. Couple that with a small roster, the Falcons could be in for a long season. (Prediction 3-7)

7. North Salinas lost 21 seniors and almost all their skill positions on an average team. They have some solid size and depth upfront, but they will need establish some skill players to stay competitive. (Prediction 1-9)

Cyprus (Lower B)- This may be the most competitive division. Some of theses teams could make a case to be in the Mission. Truly 1-6 is almost a coin flip. These would be some fun games for the “pick em”

1. Gonzales is turning the corner. They lost the one of the best athletes in the area, but they have swagger and a confidence to them. Their coach has done a great job of bringing pride back to the program. (Prediction 8-2)

2. San Lorenzo Valley will not have headsets this year in the QB’s helmet. This is a great program and I would not be surprised if they won the title. (Prediction 8-2)

3. King City will look to rebound after a tough year last season. They played a lot of Sophomores last year now they are a bit seasoned. If they can stay healthy they will be very competitive. (Prediction 7-3)

4. North Monterey County Will look to turn the corner this year. They have had a few tough years but now they have new stadium with a re-new energy on campus. Lets see if it translates inot more wins. (Prediction 5-5)

5. Watsonville was dropped down last year due to struggling in the Mission. They have some laorge numbers and had a successful JV team last year. That could provide them enough for a run in the Cyprus. (Prediction 5-5)

6. Soquel has some good athletes coming back and had some success last year in the lower Santa Lucia. Ijut don’t know if they will have the depth to beat out the teams in front of them. (Prediction 4-6)

7. Santa Cruz Probably should have been moved down, Apparently PG and ST. Francis CC made a better case. I hope they can turn things around, but I have heard turnout is still an issue. (Prediction 1-9)

Santa Lucia (C)- So here is where teams come to start a foundation or in some cases rebuild a foundation of success.

1. Pacific Grove should probably have stayed up a division. They struggled last year but they were young. Numbers are still small this year on the Varsity, but they have enough talent and a coaching staff that knows how to be successful. (Prediction 7-3)

2. RLS has the same problem they face every year. Being a boarding school that focuses on academics they are just getting the team back. Only about 20 of the 50 players in the program live locally. They are young and have some talent. I believe they are 1 year off from winning a league title. But they may challenge this year. (Prediction 7-2)

3. St. Francis CC moves down, they were competitive last year which is saying something as in most games they only had 15-18 suiting up. They have some talent at the skill positions, they could just use a larger turnout. (Prediction 6-4)

4. Greenfield could be the surprise here. They have a large turnout of kids and now have a 2nd year with a new coach. I would not be surprised if they give the 3 in front of them a big challenge. (Prediction 4-6)

5. Pajaro Valley needs to taste some success. This school has struggled ever since it started a program. Hopefully they can win some games. (Prediction 3-7)

6. Marina receives 0 help form the school district. As both Monterey and Seaside receive new facilities Marina gets nothing. The MPUSD should either invest in the school’s sports facilities or change it into a charter school and allow the kids to play at the other 2 high schools. (Prediction 1-9)

7. Harbor did not win a game in the worst league in the CCS. I saw them at a 7v7 and it looks like they have some good skill players. But until they can get some consistency I will pick them last. (Prediction 1-9)

Predictions are highly subjective in most cases. But we can make a pretty solid statement based on facts regarding any discussion about the second best league in CCS behind the WCAL. In 2018, it was the PAL. Five PAL schools played for CCS titles; three of them won crowns. M-A won a state bowl championship as well. Against the huge PCAL, PAL teams went 7-4 last season. Those are the numbers. Our opinions can be all over the map. But the data don't lie. As for 2019, who knows? We're going to find out soon.

Last edited:
Colhenry-just for the sake of the data don't lie argument- head to head pcal gabilan versus the PAL was 3-2 in favor of the Gabilan.. Not sure where you came up with the 7-4 mark. Aptos beat Terra Nova and Aragon, Hollister lost to Terra Nova, Palma beat MA, Alvarez lost to Burlingame. Tell me if I am missing something. In addition, all of the Gabilan teams played in the open divisions- not true for the PAL. Each league won one open division title. So maybe not as convincing as you think- either way.

Colhenry-just for the sake of the data don't lie argument- head to head pcal gabilan versus the PAL was 3-2 in favor of the Gabilan.. Not sure where you came up with the 7-4 mark. Aptos beat Terra Nova and Aragon, Hollister lost to Terra Nova, Palma beat MA, Alvarez lost to Burlingame. Tell me if I am missing something. In addition, all of the Gabilan teams played in the open divisions- not true for the PAL. Each league won one open division title. So maybe not as convincing as you think- either way.

Please go to MaxPreps and review all scores between the two leagues top to bottom. Anyone can pick and choose what suits his or her bias. Feel free to spin it anyway you like. But, sorry, the numbers and titles don't lie in 2018.

Last edited:
Actually did research records- maybe you could list the games as i did- and we can come up with a true W-L record.

Actually did research records- maybe you could list the games as i did- and we can come up with a true W-L record.

The PAL has 18 teams. Check all of their scores vs. all of the PCAL (29 units) during the entire season. The issue is an overall comparison, not a pick-and-choose selection of games but all of them. Of particular interest might be the King's Academy's rout of Carmel in a CCS finale. But that's just one example conveniently missing in an earlier post..

Last edited:
Wow!- RLS13 stated that he believed that the GABILAN league might be the second best league in the CCS- not the entire PCAL which is comprised of 4 leagues.Not conveniently missing anything- just stating the facts. When comparing the gabilan to the top PAL league- hard to say which one is clearly better

By the way- the PCAL Gabilan was actually 3-1 against the PAL Bay last year.

That's not the issue here. The issue is overall PAL vs. the PCAL. The record is clear. The wording of the post in question was unclear. The Gabilan is not a league; it's a division of a league. The Bay is a division of the PAL.

That's not the issue here. The issue is overall PAL vs. the PCAL. The record is clear. The wording of the post in question was unclear. The Gabilan is not a league; it's a division of a league. The Bay is a division of the PAL.

Well.... no.... that wasn’t “the issue”. RLS13 was very clearly comparing the PAL-Bay to the Gabilan and you just decided to move the goal posts and compare entire super leagues to each other for some odd reason.

Reactions: Prepwisdom
Glad my post caused such an uproar:D

I was referring to the Gabilan Division of the PCAL being the second toughest division/league behind the WCAL.

Sorry for the confusion. The PCAL has a pretty wide discrepancy of teams. There is a huge difference between the top of the Gabilan -Salinas, Palma, Aptos and the bottom of the Santa Lucia: Harbor, Marina, Pajaro Valley.

Because of the wide discrepancy I would have to rank the PAL as a tougher overall league across all divisions. The bottom of the Lake is a bit more competitive than the bottom of the Santa Lucia.

Reactions: SpeedCity51
Glad my post caused such an uproar:D

I was referring to the Gabilan Division of the PCAL being the second toughest division/league behind the WCAL.

Sorry for the confusion. The PCAL has a pretty wide discrepancy of teams. There is a huge difference between the top of the Gabilan -Salinas, Palma, Aptos and the bottom of the Santa Lucia: Harbor, Marina, Pajaro Valley.

Because of the wide discrepancy I would have to rank the PAL as a tougher overall league across all divisions. The bottom of the Lake is a bit more competitive than the bottom of the Santa Lucia.

That's where I was trying to go (poorly, however). Thanks for the clarification. The PAL, with three six-team divisions, can be a bit confusing in terms of competitive equity. In 2018, two Ocean Division (B league) teams, Burlingame and King's Academy, probably would have competed pretty well in the Bay Division (A league). Both won CCS championships, albeit in non-Open divisions. There's no doubt that the top three teams in the PCAL's Gabilan Division were outstanding in 2018. Aptos, in particular, was especially tough on the PAL Bay Division, going 3-0, with routs vs. Terra Nova and Aragon and a squeaker vs. SHP.

Reactions: SpeedCity51
That's where I was trying to go (poorly, however). Thanks for the clarification. The PAL, with three six-team divisions, can be a bit confusing in terms of competitive equity. In 2018, two Ocean Division (B league) teams, Burlingame and King's Academy, probably would have competed pretty well in the Bay Division (A league). Both won CCS championships, albeit in non-Open divisions. There's no doubt that the top three teams in the PCAL's Gabilan Division were outstanding in 2018. Aptos, in particular, was especially tough on the PAL Bay Division, going 3-0, with routs vs. Terra Nova and Aragon and a squeaker vs. SHP.

On another note, I agree with you in your overall point of the PAL > PCAL. Although because of the big size discrepancy it’s not exactly apples to apples. However if they go to 6 team divisions in the PCAL next year it’ll be a lot easier to compare the two leagues.

Reactions: colhenrylives
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT