ADVERTISEMENT

Archbishop Riordan CCS Open Champions!

To be fair.. American big men when in high school get stuck on the block in the 9th grade. So their skills are stunted.
Kevin Durant was around 6-0 at age 12 then sprouted to his now height of 6-11. Obviously, gaining those guard skills early came in handy.

is there a sit out rule?
I would think so. Unless there was a hardship case presented. We will see if he's suited up tomorrow as Bellarmine plays at Valley Christian. This should be interesting. Really surprised, as I thought the new Bells HC did a good job with a young team last year.

Valley Christian a couple grand cheaper than Bellarmine.

Kids family could easily argue financial hardship and he’d probably get a waiver to play right away.
I would tend to think if people in Silicon Valley are going to the CCS with that hardship, some financial documents would have to be enclosed. And as Ankle said, scholarships are in play although I wouldn’t be shocked if Bellarmine offers little to none. Their robotics program is just as popular as their sports program. And I know this thru an old co worker of mine who is well known at Bellarmine.

Reactions: ayalar09
Guess who Bellarmine plays tonight

Would be crazy if the transfer played for VC tonight, but I highly doubt that

Riordan really is in a class of their own right now. I think as a whole team, when they get the two bigs back, they are going to be a scary team for anyone not named Harvard-Westlake to deal with.

Sensley, Rencher, Berridge, Hillman, McKenzie, Curcic, Tshamala, Emeneke, and even the Tofi brothers…..that’s ten deep.

I will make the bold prediction right now that Riordan will not lose another game this season in both WCAL and CCS Open, baring an unforeseen injury.

Reactions: SFcityfan
Riordan really is in a class of their own right now. I think as a whole team, when they get the two bigs back, they are going to be a scary team for anyone not named Harvard-Westlake to deal with.

Sensley, Rencher, Berridge, Hillman, McKenzie, Curcic, Tshamala, Emeneke, and even the Tofi brothers…..that’s ten deep.

I will make the bold prediction right now that Riordan will not lose another game this season in both WCAL and CCS Open, baring an unforeseen injury.
not that bold of a statement they are REALLY good

A couple of weeks ago you were saying SI was better than Riordan. Lol. I think Mitty will have something to say about Riordan going undefeated, especially the game at Mitty. I think they will both go 13-1 in league. Game 3 CCS Open Championship

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT

10 doesnt help when its only a 32 minute game. too much subbing will hurt them more than help.
this team needs to learn how to inflict their will on opponents and not let up.

10 doesnt help when its only a 32 minute game. too much subbing will hurt them more than help.
this team needs to learn how to inflict their will on opponents and not let up.

Right but another way of looking at it, is if they have a couple guys in foul trouble, most teams would have to sub someone they don’t want out there. I think coach curtain would be comfortable with any of the above players.

I didn’t see Riordans transfers before the SI game. It makes a huge difference.

As good as Hilman is, as good as Zion is, I like Curcic a lot….hes that missing piece to me more than anyone else. Plays a man’s game, hits shots, is fearless.

Right but another way of looking at it, is if they have a couple guys in foul trouble, most teams would have to sub someone they don’t want out there. I think coach curtain would be comfortable with any of the above players.

I didn’t see Riordans transfers before the SI game. It makes a huge difference.

As good as Hilman is, as good as Zion is, I like Curcic a lot….hes that missing piece to me more than anyone else. Plays a man’s game, hits shots, is fearless.
when you are that much more physically talented, as this team is. you should be able to defend lesser opponents without fouling. discipline is what it takes.

Add Ryder Bush to Riordan's depth. Any coach would love to have this problem of going 11 deep. December gave Curtin the opportunity to evaluate this team and the long layoff let the team see film of their play. January now has the team really hitting their stride. Curtin is taking a page out of Rich Forslund's book that no one is a prima donna and he is not hesitating to pull any player if they lapse on defense or offense. This is great motivation for the entire team to be play all out on both ends of the floor and be ready to step in when called...An observation on Sensley - no doubt he is a talent, but really surprised of his lack of concept in playing team defense, not forcing things and shot clock awareness that was evident in non-league. This is still a work in progress, but he appears buying into this. If not, he will not even sniff the floor in Randy Bennett's system next year. Next Monday's game against Salesian at the MLK @ DLS and game @ Mitty the following night will be a very good barometer of Riordan's progress. Salesian is really playing well and its #1 NorCal ranking is well earned based on their play.

When is the last time a boys team went undefeated in league play? I would guess Mitty and Riordan split

when you are that much more physically talented, as this team is. you should be able to defend lesser opponents without fouling. discipline is what it takes.

Agreed, but refs are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get and you have to prepare for that.

One thing I’ve actually liked is refs are swallowing the whistle a lot more than in the past….games have a better flow than in previous seasons….just my observations in the few games I’ve attended.

And while I stand by my previous statement, Riordan still has to play Salesian and Centennial, which will be no easy task.

The only team that I ever saw that was that good and could literally sub out 5 studs and put 5 in at the same time during high level games and have no playing time issues was Mater Dei back when they were running the state. Outside of that running 10-11 deep towards the end of the season can be tough. It can be done, but it takes a ton of buying in. I mean some teams running 7-8 solid guys in towards years end have issues. And I someone noted Forslund did such. But it was usually 7,8,9 at the most. If I recall more 7 or 8.

Three seniors already have committed to their colleges (Sensley-SMC, Berridge-Evansville and McKenzie-EWU) so those 3 are now just focused on playing out their senior season for their team and providing exposure for their teammates.

When is the last time a boys team went undefeated in league play? I would guess Mitty and Riordan split
I remember when Riordan won 31 straight in the late 80’s and 1990, but since then. Man ARHS stats would have have to answer that one. I don’t recall.

Reactions: sylvan
Three seniors already have committed to their colleges (Sensley-SMC, Berridge-Evansville and McKenzie-EWU) so those 3 are now just focused on playing out their senior season for their team and providing exposure for their teammates.
I am not sure if I would look at it like that personally. Coach Curtin lost in a state title game as a player. Covid affected a team that could have made it if I recall. And it’s been over 20 years since the last state title. A few close shots, most true WCAL fans want the WCAL to raise another banner. So at the end of the day sure a coach wants to provide the best for every player and I believe Curtin is that type. However towards the end of the year most coaches with this type of talent is going to play the best per matchups and ability cause you coach to win it all. With that said the only high school player with a full ride or better that said I don’t care, is when Lebron was on ESPN, and it was either halftime or the end of the game a reporter asked him live you had a subpar game. Lebron said my route is set and now it’s about taking care of my boys. No offense at all, but I would bet Bennet wants to see Sensley on the floor as much as possible.

I remember when Riordan won 31 straight in the late 80’s and 1990, but since then. Man ARHS stats would have have to answer that one. I don’t recall.
Off the top... not only did Riordan go undefeated in league play for one season, but they did it for four years 86 - 89 I think.

Off the top... not only did Riordan go undefeated in league play for one season, but they did it for four years 86 - 89 I think.
That Riordan streak was 6 consecutive outright WCAL titles (1985-1990) 1985-88 were undefeated WCAL seasons. What made it even more impressive - it was not just one class/player(s) that dominated during that run. There were 6 different POYs for these teams. 1985 Erik Newman, 1986 Terrence Mullins, 1987 Denfield Wade, 1988 Wayman Strickland, 1989 Ray Kelly, 1990 Dwayne Fontana.

The only team that I ever saw that was that good and could literally sub out 5 studs and put 5 in at the same time during high level games and have no playing time issues was Mater Dei back when they were running the state. Outside of that running 10-11 deep towards the end of the season can be tough. It can be done, but it takes a ton of buying in. I mean some teams running 7-8 solid guys in towards years end have issues. And I someone noted Forslund did such. But it was usually 7,8,9 at the most. If I recall more 7 or 8.
i know of another team.. that also ran mater dei

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT