ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest High School Basketball Upset Ever?

ayalar09

Hall of Famer
Feb 18, 2018
After seeing Sheldon get taken down by Consumnes Oaks, I was just curious what are some of the biggest upsets you can remember in Bay Area high school basketball?

I'm only 33. So for me this Sheldon one over Consumnes Oaks is a pretty big one.

A big one for my Knights was us beating Vanden by 29 points last year.

I know of a couple... When I get home from this jazz concert, I’ll see what I can remember, and jump on in here...

Reactions: ayalar09
College Park (11 seed) knocking off a loaded Dublin team (1 seed) with JoJo McGlaston 93-90 in double OT a few years back in the 2013 D2 NorCal finals at Arco was a huge upset on the big stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoopjunkie21
Hillsdale over Riordan in CCS, I think in 1970.

Aptos over 33-0 Mt. Eden in NorCal title game in Oakland, 1985-ish.

After seeing Sheldon get taken down by Consumnes Oaks, I was just curious what are some of the biggest upsets you can remember in Bay Area high school basketball?

I'm only 33. So for me this Sheldon one over Consumnes Oaks is a pretty big one.

A big one for my Knights was us beating Vanden by 29 points last year.
2006 Palo Alto and Jeremy Lin over Mater Dei for a state title

1995 St Francis over Dominguez Compton for a State Title. They had a young Tyshuan Prince on that team.

And the year San Ramon Valley beat Lonzo Ball who lit it up his junior year at Chino Hills.

My two cents on state title upsets I recall over the years that I saw live.

2006 Palo Alto and Jeremy Lin over Mater Dei for a state title

1995 St Francis over Dominguez Compton for a State Title. They had a young Tyshuan Prince on that team.

And the year San Ramon Valley beat Lonzo Ball who lit it up his junior year at Chino Hills.

My two cents on state title upsets I recall over the years that I saw live.

An interesting update on the St. Francis over Dominguez game from 1995.
In 2001 when they met again, the announcer said over the mike at Arco. " St. Francis was the last team to beat Dominguez" You could actually see the St. Francis team cringe from that announcement. They didn't recover.

Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: Crosstown Rival
I attended the five-overtime win for Ravenswood of East Palo Alto over St. Elizabeth in 1962, at the old Stanford Pavilion, in the championship game of the Peninsula Basketball Tournament. I don't know if that was the biggest upset in Bay Area high school history, but it was the most exciting high school game I've ever seen.

As much as I was rooting for Jeremy Lin and Palo Alto over Mater Dei in 2006, I would say that Oak Ridge over Mater Dei in 2005 was a bigger upset. I still have the program where it says that the game is a lopsided matchup with perennial powerhouse Mater Dei should dispose of first timer Oak Ridge without much of a fight. The final score was a pretty dominating 60-44. Arguably the biggest upset in State finals history.

Don’t forget that Palo Alto was the #1 seed in NorCal’s in 2005 and Oak Ridge was #3 seed and Oak Ridge beat Palo Alto 55-35 in NorCal Championship game.

Coach J

Reactions: sachoopcoach
Yup, that San Ramon game... That's one of those games where ya think "They play 100 times, Chino wins 99, but that was #100!"

Now, here's the one I always think of... It wasn't one game, it was three games in the NorCal tournament that they used to run back in the day, specifically 1987.

The eight-team tourneys would go the old fashioned way, three rounds in three days (maybe there was a day off, I'm foggy, we *are* talking 32 years ago, after all!) and the NorCal champs would face the Socal champs the following Saturday... Anyway...

Ygnacio Valley, with 6'8" star Eric Bamberger, was the #8 seed in the NorCal div 1 and little was expected of the team from the 'burbs... No east-of-the-tunnel team had ever won NorCal or even the old TOC, and they were not expected to give #1 seed O'Dowd any trouble in the first round. Just try hard, lose, and then go back to the 'burbs, y'know... NOT so fast! In a very strangely paced game, they beat O'Dowd by some 10-15 points; the seemingly unbeatable coach Mike Phelps just might have gotten outsmarted in this one... Can't remember who YV played in the 2nd-round game, but they beat them handily, too. Then they faced #2 seed James Logan and Kevin Mouton and a gaggle of thoroughbreds in the final... Few thought they could pull off another upset, but they DID! In triple overtime, no less... This game is still considered by many historians to be one of the best high-school games ever played.

They got handled in the state title game the next week, but that run thru NorCals was pretty unforgettable stuff!

1996. In norcals. St Ignatius over Balboa at Kezar Pavillion. At Ignatius was good and talented. But Balboa was loaded. One of the last great San Francisco teams... 6 foot 9 Marquette Alexander. 6 foot 6 E Daniels. Alfonso Jackson, Winters Paterson. The Jet offense coached by Dream Maye.

St Ignatius slowed the game down and key shots by ali thomas and Duggan propelled St. Ignatius. That was an upset in a packed house of at least 5,000 people.

December 28, 1974. Sacred Heart was playing Oakland Tech in a preliminary game at USF. Oakland Tech was ranked #1 in the State and was scoring 90+ points in some games. Coach Gerry Phillips described them as a super team and had players that practically shot down at the basket.
Irish slowed the tempo of the game and with no shot clock or three-point line, every play was crucial. You could just hear the crowd take a breath and hold it every time a shot was taken. Daryl Burns scored 17 points but probably more importantly, Don Burl grabbed 16 rebounds. Burns scored the only point in OT after the score was tied at 41 in regulation. With maybe 6 seconds left, an Oakland Tech player had the ball under the scoreboard (located above center court) so he really couldn't tell how much time was left and let a shot go just after the buzzer. By this time, I was yelling "no basket, no basket" and the ref was waving his hands all before the ball bounced off the rim, giving the Irish a 42-41 win.

Sacred Heart also beat #1 Berkeley in 1978.

Last edited:
Clarifying my above post on YV.. I said "no east-of-the-tunnel" team had won NorCal"... I should say top-division NorCal. Modesto won State in D2 three years before that. And NorCal D3 during that time and the few years before was dominated by out-of-towners like Cloverdale and Colusa and Folsom.

Anyway.. I still remember THE play of that triple-OT epic... O'Dowd had taken a 2-point lead with just a few seconds left in the first overtime. YV threw a pass to halfcourt, a YV player caught it and called a time out with 3 seconds left. Ref gives ball, PG rares back to throw an alley-oop from there apparently to Bamberger, who was moving from the elbow toward the block along the edge of the key... But the pass was OVER Bamberger's head to a teammate, who was shadowing the big guy a few feet away... HE caught the pass and laid it in at the buzzer! The Coliseum went nuts... It took 6 more minutes of OT basketball to decide this one, 56-54 YV.

1996. In norcals. St Ignatius over Balboa at Kezar Pavillion. At Ignatius was good and talented. But Balboa was loaded. One of the last great San Francisco teams... 6 foot 9 Marquette Alexander. 6 foot 6 E Daniels. Alfonso Jackson, Winters Paterson. The Jet offense coached by Dream Maye.

St Ignatius slowed the game down and key shots by ali thomas and Duggan propelled St. Ignatius. That was an upset in a packed house of at least 5,000 people.
That was a great and exciting game. Remember, SI upset a very talented SHC in CCS semi (ending Irish season). SI lost CCS final but got last seed to NorCal. It was less of an upset than a game of different styles. Yes, was a great atmosphere, considering the year Balboa had up until that point.

Milan over South Bend Central.

Cuba Kentucky over
Milan over South Bend Central.

Just had to throw this in.
When Cuba Conquered Kentucky. Cuba a School of 150 students beat Manual, a school of Three thousand for the 1952 Kentucky State Championship.

The following story is somthing I wrote for Norcalpreps several years ago.

Yesterday I went to the Crush in the Valley, mostly to see the public schools as the recruiter for the GIBT.
There was a team from Kentucky playing and an older gentleman from said state was taking tickets at the door.

During a break, I happened to ask him if he ever heard of the book, when Cuba Conquered Kentucky?
Not only did he know of the book, which took place in the early 1950s, he was from the area. He knew the coach and several of the players such as Doodie Floyd, Drennon Bagwell from the book.
I laughed and said that Cuba seemed like it was in the middle of nowhere, and he laughed and said it still is.
We talked about basketball, him from Kentucky, me from Brooklyn, and it was like we were from the same place. It was the highlight of my day.
Anyway here is the report about the book, I’m once again posting up for you to read if you care to.
It is a book I think every hoop fan should read, for the knowledge and history of how High School hoops influenences communities and people.

When Cuba Conquered Kentucky “ A Book Review”
It was 1952. A tiny rural high school of 150 students, weaves it’s way thru their Sectional, Regional, and State playoffs.

There they meet up with a perennial state power with 3000 students, beating them for a state championship.

Sound familiar? No, it’s not tiny Milan Indiana high, from the movie Hoosiers. Another true story.

It’s the true story of Cuba high school. And it was a national sensation in it’s time.

The book’s author , Marianne Walker tells of a chance encounter with a friend and is introduced to her husband, who was a player on that team.

The book opens after the team loses at the state finals, the year before, and sets the stage for what’s to follow.

Cuba Kentucky was in a tiny hardscrabble corner of Western Kentucky, without electricity or indoor plumbing for the most part.
It is hemmed in on three sides by rivers, with no bridge access. A place, even most Kentuckians knew nothing about.

The kids were sons of white sharecroppers , who of all things, took as their inspiration and style of play, from the Harlem Globetrotters. They would even come out warming up to Sweet Georgia Brown.

Using a fast break, pressing, and highlight style of play, they caused a sensation wherever they played.
It is the story of how a small group of kids came together in this unlikely spot, at the same time, with talent and love for the hoop.
The author is very descriptive of time and place. I found the book interesting from both a historical and sociological perspective.

Allow yourself some patience for the Author’s indulgence in her narratives.
A story like this is a history lesson in High School basketball as well as a study in people and culture.
I enjoyed this book and highly recommended it to any basketball fan, or anyone who appreciates the unlikely, when it happens.

Oh, and why is the town called Cuba? You’re just going to have to read the book for that!

Here’s wishing you great hoops

Reactions: CityVibesII
I second Marcskit’s emotion regarding this book...

It’s the Hoosiers that out-Hoosiered Hoosiers!

Ok I'm going waaaaay back. (1982/83)

Packed to the rafters in their old Hoosiers style ancient gym...

An 18-8 Cardinal Newman team that DIDNT qualify for playoffs upsetting eventual state champion Cloverdale (at Cloverdale) in double OT. Their only loss for Cloverdale that yr.

Cloverdale had:

Craig McMillan (U of A)
Craig Bergman (U of A/Santa Clara)
Rich Rowland (Detroit Tigers)

Last edited:
Guru...

I sure do remember that Cloverdale team (and so does Gridley, for that matter!)

Never saw them anywhere but their Coliseum games, tho... Heck of a team! CN sure must been on their game that night!

It was a time when you had to win your league to qualify for playoffs and CN came in (tied) for 2nd that season with Monty (Petaluma won NBL)....CN had some football players on that team that had just come off a NCS championship upset victory over Brad Muster (San Marin) so I dont think the stage was too big for them.

Still I like to remind Craig M. about that game every so often..lol

Reactions: larry legend33
Ok I'm going waaaaay back. (1982)

An 18-8 Cardinal Newman team that DIDNT qualify for playoffs upsetting eventual state champion Cloverdale (at Cloverdale) in double OT. Their only loss for Cloverdale that yr.

Cloverdale had:

Craig McMillan (U of A)
Robby Rowland (Detroit Tigers)

Interesting write up from ysn365. Bottom of the article talks about the game your referring to I believe...

https://ysn365.com/news/cloverdale-vs-cardinal-newman-was-the-classic-small-big-matchup/

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Interesting write up from ysn365. Bottom of the article talks about the game your referring to I believe...

https://ysn365.com/news/cloverdale-vs-cardinal-newman-was-the-classic-small-big-matchup/

The " refs were on the CN payroll " line from the article is awesome...lol

I didnt realize it was the same ref who fouled out McMillan BOTH games!!!

*****One GREAT little known tidbit from that game and those Cloverdale state championship years...

Cloverdale had a starter (Steve Domenichelli) who played FIVE YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL!!!

YES...you read that right.... lol

How did that guy manage. to play five years?

Anything like my senior year? The longest five years of my life?

That was a great and exciting game. Remember, SI upset a very talented SHC in CCS semi (ending Irish season).
One breakaway foul not called did it. It was so obvious. Otherwise, the Irish get the ball back and win. We know who had the better team.

Last edited:
As much as I was rooting for Jeremy Lin and Palo Alto over Mater Dei in 2006, I would say that Oak Ridge over Mater Dei in 2005 was a bigger upset. I still have the program where it says that the game is a lopsided matchup with perennial powerhouse Mater Dei should dispose of first timer Oak Ridge without much of a fight. The final score was a pretty dominating 60-44. Arguably the biggest upset in State finals history.

Don’t forget that Palo Alto was the #1 seed in NorCal’s in 2005 and Oak Ridge was #3 seed and Oak Ridge beat Palo Alto 55-35 in NorCal Championship game.

Coach J

I was at that game. Easily biggest upset I can recall and it was a spanking . Ryan Anderson coming out party. But maya who went to play for all at UCLA was a stud 2.

I know we are talking boys but the OR girls team with Sarah James who went on the play at Stanford has a monster upset when they took down nationally ranked LBP

Last edited:
Ok I'm going waaaaay back. (1982/83)

Cloverdale had:

Craig McMillan (U of A)
Robby Rowland (Detroit Tigers)

Heard a lot about that growing up! Great memory guru.

How did that guy manage. to play five years?

Anything like my senior year? The longest five years of my life?

He was in my class (83) at CN and left midway thru his sophomore year and transferred to Cloverdale (he lived there).

After I graduated I came back the next season for the 25-21 Bonfigli 4 corner special game and he was still playing!! I was like wtf? Lol...

I saw coach McMillan (dad) yrs later at a SRJC game and asked him about it. He chuckled and said he still doesnt know how they pulled that one off. Apparently something happened in the transfer and they figured they had nothing to lose and applied to the CIF? NCS? (Whoever was the ruling body at the time) to get him a 5th yr of high school and THEY GAVE IT TO HIM!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Reactions: observer22
He was in my class (83) at CN and left midway thru his sophomore year and transferred to Cloverdale (he lived there).

After I graduated I came back the next season for the 25-21 Bonfigli 4 corner special game and he was still playing!! I was like wtf? Lol...

I saw coach McMillan (dad) yrs later at a SRJC game and asked him about it. He chuckled and said he still doesnt know how they pulled that one off. Apparently something happened in the transfer and they figured they had nothing to lose and applied to the CIF? NCS? (Whoever was the ruling body at the time) to get him a 5th yr of high school and THEY GAVE IT TO HIM!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

that is incredible. He was before his time with all the holdbacks now.

Guru...

I sure do remember that Cloverdale team (and so does Gridley, for that matter!)

Never saw them anywhere but their Coliseum games, tho... Heck of a team! CN sure must been on their game that night!

That was an Alex Austin Gridley team I believe.

Here's wishing you great hoops.

Last edited:
2012 Jungle Game has to be in the mix. SI entered the night 3-9 in WCAL play, having lost to Serra by 22 at home. Wildcats trailed by double-digits early but managed to win it behind then-sophomore Trevor Dunbar and Stephen Domingo.

Ygnacio Valley, with 6'8" star Eric Bamberger, was the #8 seed in the NorCal div 1 and little was expected of the team from the 'burbs... No east-of-the-tunnel team had ever won NorCal or even the old TOC, and they were not expected to give #1 seed O'Dowd any trouble in the first round. Just try hard, lose, and then go back to the 'burbs, y'know... NOT so fast! In a very strangely paced game, they beat O'Dowd by some 10-15 points; the seemingly unbeatable coach Mike Phelps just might have gotten outsmarted in this one... Can't remember who YV played in the 2nd-round game, but they beat them handily, too. Then they faced #2 seed James Logan and Kevin Mouton and a gaggle of thoroughbreds in the final... Few thought they could pull off another upset, but they DID! In triple overtime, no less... This game is still considered by many historians to be one of the best high-school games ever played.

They got handled in the state title game the next week, but that run thru NorCals was pretty unforgettable stuff!

I remember that game and that run for YV. Bamberger was the star, but Chris Walsh (Stanford then long NFL career with the Vikings) was the man. Dude was a phenomenal athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT