ADVERTISEMENT

Blast from the past

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
The closest DLS has come to losing a Nor Cal game in a very long time

Thanks Bubba, that was fun to watch - unbelieveable that both teams missed the extra point in first O/T.

The "other" memorable loss by a local team to DLS was the 29-28 loss by Serra at Serra. Down 21-0 in the first 1/2 Serra came back to take a 28-21 lead in the 4th. With under 2-minutes left DLS scored and went for the PAT to tie - the DLS PAT holder bobbled the snap and instead ran for the corner of the end zone just barely making it for the 2-point conversion instead to win 29-28.

I was there - talk about silencing the home crowd...

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Thanks Bubba, that was fun to watch - unbelieveable that both teams missed the extra point in first O/T.

The "other" memorable loss by a local team to DLS was the 29-28 loss by Serra at Serra. Down 21-0 in the first 1/2 Serra came back to take a 28-21 lead in the 4th. With under 2-minutes left DLS scored and went for the PAT to tie - the DLS PAT holder bobbled the snap and instead ran for the corner of the end zone just barely making it for the 2-point conversion instead to win 29-28.

I was there - talk about silencing the home crowd...

Wasn't that first game of the season? When DLS loses to a Nor Cal team I'm convinced it will be early season.

I remember that was the first on line stream of a high school game I ever listened to. Funny to think about how amazing I thought that to be at the time both the game and the ability to listen to it. I do believe the ghost of this game stayed in the back of Coach Janda's head and influenced him in his decision not to kick the potentially game winning FG in the open championship game the next year.

That was a very good and I believe overlooked Bell team that came within a minute of taking Santa Margarita in the SBG and very possibly a top 10 national ranking. I was hoping that the Bells were going to break through to the elite level and provide DLS with a legitimate NorCal foe after the success of that year but alas it wasn't to be.

Ummm 2wcats, aren;t you discounting the Bell's a bit soon? After all they won the CCS and beat Folsom at Folsom breaking their multi-year win streak. JUst sayin'...

Funny, if bellarmine had won that game, instead of playing santa margarita for div 1 state, the team would have played westlake for the open.

Ummm 2wcats, aren;t you discounting the Bell's a bit soon? After all they won the CCS and beat Folsom at Folsom breaking their multi-year win streak. JUst sayin'...
Rmbr, Don't get me wrong. I was not bashing the Bells. I was very happy to see them beat Folsom last year and will root for them again if they ever add De La Salle back on their schedule.

I believe Bellarmine to be a very good CCS program and in some years a good CA program but not a legitimate De La Salle rival nor national program. I was hoping that team was just the start and they would make the jump to a premiere program. Unfortunately that was not to be.

They are the preeminent private school in the south bay, have the largest enrollment in the CCS, almost limitless alumni support, and great facilities. I still believe they could do it and would love it if they did.

2wcats - didn't take your remarks as "bashing" so to speak. In WCAL Football the momentum yearly recently has swung between Bells, Serra & SF.
Riordan had an outstanding year last year, but year to year is another story until proven otherwise. VC has had some talented rosters, but in the last several years just has not been able to put it altogether when it counted as has been the story with Mitty [who will be better this year].
As usual for south bay it will be a dog fight between Bell's, SF, MItty & VC. Bell's will be down slightly from last 2 season's while SF & VC will be right with them. Mitty will surprise some fans this season possibly.

2wcats - didn't take your remarks as "bashing" so to speak. In WCAL Football the momentum yearly recently has swung between Bells, Serra & SF.
Riordan had an outstanding year last year, but year to year is another story until proven otherwise. VC has had some talented rosters, but in the last several years just has not been able to put it altogether when it counted as has been the story with Mitty [who will be better this year].
As usual for south bay it will be a dog fight between Bell's, SF, MItty & VC. Bell's will be down slightly from last 2 season's while SF & VC will be right with them. Mitty will surprise some fans this season possibly.

No worries just wanted to be clear I actually like the Bells. They play the game the right way. You never leave a game thinking those kids didn't leave it all out on the field. I just have always wanted them to do more and make the jump to an elite program.

Lots of talent returning to Serra, SF, and VC this year so I would have to pick them over Bellarmine this year but lots of people have said that for the last couple of years and in the last week of the season were proven wrong. If Serra can make it through a very tough preseason schedule with momentum and all their guys healthy they could run away with it. Have to tip your hat to Walsh on the St. Mary's Stockton, De La Salle, Pittsburg preseason line up. If there is a tougher one in the CCS I would like to hear about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT