ADVERTISEMENT

CCS Open Seedings

ArmchairGOAT

Hall of Famer
Dec 8, 2019
CCS Open Seedings Announced! Santa Cruz elects to remain in DIII. Valley Christian now the #8 seed.
  1. Mitty
    • The team to beat! Good senior leader in Burke and a solid supporting cast that share the ball and D it up!
  2. Sacred Heart Prep
    • The lone non-WCAL team. Very impressive non-league record and breezed through its league. Beat Riordan and St. Francis and lost to Bellarmine. Can the Gators keep up their winning ways against the battle-tested WCAL teams?
  3. Riordan
    • Like Mitty, lost 4 starters entering this season and finished 2nd in the WCAL. Everyone knows the Crusader offense is King Wilhite. Riordan will need to counter the Wilhite double teams by moving the ball and other players stepping up. Going to man defense and its depth has been the constant for this team.
  4. St. Ignatius
    • Wildcats on a mission to shock the world in its pool it shares with Mitty to make an appearance in Santa Cruz. SI will get its rematch with Serra Friday night in the Sunset.
  5. Serra
    • Padres dealt a devastating blow losing its best player and big man. Didn't seem to faze them last night. Never count out a Coach Rapp-led Padres team.
  6. St. Francis
    • The Lancers simply haven't been able to put things together as they have been injury-plagued the past 2 seasons. SF only has to look to 2 seasons ago when they upset the Crusaders. Can it happen again?
  7. Bellarmine
    • The Bells aren't the same team we've seen the past few years, but they have a very solid group of players and can upset any one in the Open. See SHP.
  8. Valley Christian
    • Head scratcher, but gotta give the Warriors credit for taking on the challenge. Would have been my darkhorse if their big man Bannarbie was still playing...

CCS Open Pool Play format - higher seed the home team:
Pool A
1. Mitty
4. St. Ignatius
5. Serra
8. Valley Christian

Pool B
2. Sacred Heart Prep
3. Riordan
6. St. Francis
7. Bellarmine

Last edited:
LOL - the WCAL OPEN (for the most part)

Really Bellarmine @ 11 -12 and St. Francis with a 15-10 record in the OPEN - yes, I see their SOS was strong...but Santa Cruz was in with a lower SOS than some other CCS teams with similar records. Also was VC the best replacement for Santa Cruz...which IMO is a weak move. Play the Open and test yourself SC.

Is the CCS lacking on quality teams ....what about some of the other 17 to 19 win teams. Sorry I don't watch enough ball down that way to know anything beyond the WCAL.

Scratching my head and welcome someone with a good knowledge of CCS to explain.

Valley Christian is the mystery to me… Good chance of their getting blown out badly in all three pool games.

I watched Campo blast them by over 40, and that was when they still had the big guy, Bannarbie.

I wonder if there’s some CCS rule that puts all Open teams in NorCals, and allows them to go in low divisions…. Some sorta handshake deal that also allows non-WCAL teams in low divisions a better shot.

CCS continues to make a mistake: It insists on having eight schools in the Open Division, both male and female. Why? Why not go with the best six? That would prevent (for the most part) shaky teams from being hoisted up to the Open.

Reactions: OnBall8
CCS continues to make a mistake: It insists on having eight schools in the Open Division, both male and female. Why? Why not go with the best six? That would prevent (for the most part) shaky teams from being hoisted up to the Open.
Agree. CCS Open should have been 6 teams this season. Pure $$$ money play for the CCS so they can use the Pool Play format.

Reactions: OnBall8
The problem is the gutless Santa Cruz coach who just happens to be the league rep, REFUSED to go to Open Division. Much nicer to try to win a watered down D3. FOUR consecutive years Santa Cruz has lost the Championship (D3 three times & D4 once) game. Hope they lose again.

The problem is the gutless Santa Cruz coach who just happens to be the league rep, REFUSED to go to Open Division. Much nicer to try to win a watered down D3. FOUR consecutive years Santa Cruz has lost the Championship (D3 three times & D4 oncTe) game. Hope they lose again.
The "courageous" HMB girls team, who opted up to the Open, are down 50-2 versus Mitty. The WCAL teams are playing a different sport, and a different level than a neighborhood school on the coast that barely has 1,000 kids. Having Santa Cruz in the Open boys would be like UC Santa Cruz playing in the March Madness Tournament. This is where we are at in 2022.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT