ADVERTISEMENT

CN in the News

Beenthere2497

Rookie
Sep 10, 2016
Not so good article out about Cardinal Newman coach.......Former Cardinal Newman High School student suing school, campus leaders, alleging racism, retaliation.......press democrat.......

I have to say that I know the kid who this article is about. He is one of the most outstanding young men I have ever known. Character is at 100%. Everything I have heard about Sanchez is the opposite. Why this guy is allowed to continue to coach young men is a head scratcher. CN needs to do the correct thing and terminate this turd regardless of how close the season is.

Never a good look.
Bring back Cronin please.
Why Did Cronin leave CN in the first place?…. It couldn’t have been over money because didn’t he go to Windsor?….. I doubt a public HS would pay more then CN for the FB Coach…..

Why Did Cronin leave CN in the first place?…. It couldn’t have been over money because didn’t he go to Windsor?….. I doubt a public HS would pay more then CN for the FB Coach…..
There was a lot of admin change when Paul left. The President they brought in was bad and newman lost some good people. I believe one reason was Paul’s kids were going to have to pay to attend newman at full price. That makes no sense if you are faculty, Windsor probably offered him at least as good of a package but newman has never been the same. They should be decent this year but nowhere as good as Windsor or Marin cath.

Reactions: THEOC89
There was a lot of admin change when Paul left. The President they brought in was bad and newman lost some good people. I believe one reason was Paul’s kids were going to have to pay to attend newman at full price. That makes no sense if you are faculty, Windsor probably offered him at least as good of a package but newman has never been the same. They should be decent this year but nowhere as good as Windsor or Marin cath.
Wow!…. That’s crazy, I don’t blame him for leaving…. That’s just too bad because CN had a good thing going with Cronin, one of Nor Cal’s top programs year in and year out….

That is so ridiculous, one of the main draws of working at a parochial school is the benefit of having your children attend the schools for a very, very, reduced rate. The pay, pension, and benefits can’t compete with public schools in most areas.

CN has been struggling with enrollment for awhile now, less families in the area, sports have to be a big draw. St Vincent’s down the road in Petaluma has plummeted in enrollment but they are taking a few Santa Rosa kids, their star player last year mother is the Santa Rosa Mayor. Sonoma Academy doesn’t have football but have a beautiful campus, although there has been some bad staff conduct their school has grown as well.

The player’s grandad was a Head Coach at a few high schools in the area in the 90s-00s. You don’t mess with influential, tuition paying families, especially African American families, there are so few in the area, St Vincent’s has been more opening to them. I guess the truth with come out shortly at CN with Sanchez, who on paper has a great resume.

Cronin is up in the boondocks, Ukiah is the only “large” school in Mendocino County and at one time not long ago had a huge youth program and 3 levels of high school ball. Schools down in Sonoma/Marin/Napa missed out.

Last edited:
Can we put the Cronin back to CN stuff to bed already?

He is not going back to CN....EVER!

Bridges were burned...

As long as Bishop Vasa is in charge he will not get a job at ANY catholic institution in the Diocese.

And it hurts me to say that as I consider Paul a friend but it's the truth.

***let me just say this in regards to Sanchez.

1st of all I have no inside info...so this is just based on my life experience and my abilty to critical think and look at the big picture...

I assume CN has VERY good legal representation on retainer and they looked over the accusations when they came out.... and the school sided with the coach and suggested the kid leave the school.

THAT"S PRETTY TELLING TO ME....

All we have gotten is 1 side of the story as the CN reps haven't been speaking to the press. I'm guessing more will come out on the situation very soon.

Amazing how Sanchez has lightened the CN schedule compared to what Cronin would schedule. Cronin would never schedule Casa Grande, which Richard has done, he also got out of the St Mary's of Stockton for St. Mary's of Albany or wherever they are from. Richard is working for a very soft schedule but will never get passed Marin Catholic.

Amazing how Sanchez has lightened the CN schedule compared to what Cronin would schedule. Cronin would never schedule Casa Grande, which Richard has done, he also got out of the St Mary's of Stockton for St. Mary's of Albany or wherever they are from. Richard is working for a very soft schedule but will never get passed Marin Catholic.

Wow! That is the softest OOC schedule I ever seen CN play, really sad to see what Sanchez is doing over there. They don’t even scrimmage MC anymore which was a tradition as old as time.

Wow! That is the softest OOC schedule I ever seen CN play, really sad to see what Sanchez is doing over there. They don’t even scrimmage MC anymore which was a tradition as old as time.
CN has turned into an elite baseball and girls basketball school. Both programs are fantastic. I’m saddened about football. Not long ago CN was one of the best programs in norcal and in good years would compete with d1 schools.

Not sure if true or not. But heard Sanchez contract is done after this year and they will be looking at going in a different direction?

Still a very desirable job. Not exactly sure sure what the disconnect has been. Although the change in admin and philosophy has definitely changed over the past several years.

Now top notch women’s hoops and baseball and there seems to have been a shift. I mean the old days Newman was know as a football and boys hoops stronghold. I don’t know Sanchez at all. But from what I’ve heard being an outsider, it seems like he’s run off a lot of alumni and old-school traditional Newman families. I remember when Monahan came in after Lloyd retired (sans Bonfigli one terrible year as gridiron coach). He came from out of the area, but it appeared he embraced the Newman traditiona without overbearingly, putting his own spin on things, @larry legend33 would know more about this. But I do remember he and Gondola got the MC and CN football rivalry going in the early 90’s. They should be playing every year, not waiting for a possible NCS match up.

Not sure if true or not. But heard Sanchez contract is done after this year and they will be looking at going in a different direction?

Still a very desirable job. Not exactly sure sure what the disconnect has been. Although the change in admin and philosophy has definitely changed over the past several years.

Now top notch women’s hoops and baseball and there seems to have been a shift. I mean the old days Newman was know as a football and boys hoops stronghold. I don’t know Sanchez at all. But from what I’ve heard being an outsider, it seems like he’s run off a lot of alumni and old-school traditional Newman families. I remember when Monahan came in after Lloyd retired (sans Bonfigli one terrible year as gridiron coach). He came from out of the area, but it appeared he embraced the Newman traditiona without overbearingly, putting his own spin on things, @larry legend33 would know more about this. But I do remember he and Gondola got the MC and CN football rivalry going in the early 90’s. They should be playing every year, not waiting for a possible NCS match up.
Ed Monahan (RIP) was a great guy with old ties to SF and Parochial schools. Pretty sure he was a stud back at Sacred Heart in the day and he 100% embraced Newman. Was always on campus and trying to recruit any able body kid to play. Few like him and he quickly found a home. Mertle and Debendetti have formed powerhouse programs. Both high character people. Not sure about Sanchez but I’ve heard similar especially from alumni. It’s a great job and the right person will get newman back on the map IMO. This year they have a lot of pieces. Paul always had a college level QB. They’ve lacked that piece under Sanchez.

CN has turned into an elite baseball and girls basketball school. Both programs are fantastic. I’m saddened about football. Not long ago CN was one of the best programs in norcal and in good years would compete with d1 schools.
CN can still be great, and they are still good. The population just isn’t there for football in general in the entire area any longer. Various reasons, population decline, demographics, income levels, whatever, the Sonoma/Marin/Napa area just won’t compete with the East Bay/Sac/Valley regions. Lack of on campus coaches, mediocre facilities, no admin support, little to no parent support, little support from students or teachers, ect… I mean look at these brand new schools opening in the Sac area and how community/family oriented they are and how much effort is put into their athletic teams. In the Sonoma area schools are closing, shrinking, dropping freshman teams, just fighting to stay open. 10-30 years ago it was almost completely opposite. There are still some good programs, Vintage, Windsor, San Marin, Rancho but, I mean the “worst” public school Elsie Allen could compete (and beat) CN in the 90s. Even up into the early-mid 10s you would see a Petaluma or Sonoma or Analy or Healdsburg or Casa Grande, ect.. competing with the big dogs in the east bay.

Reactions: larry legend33
CN can still be great, and they are still good. The population just isn’t there for football in general in the entire area any longer. Various reasons, population decline, demographics, income levels, whatever, the Sonoma/Marin/Napa area just won’t compete with the East Bay/Sac/Valley regions. Lack of on campus coaches, mediocre facilities, no admin support, little to no parent support, little support from students or teachers, ect… I mean look at these brand new schools opening in the Sac area and how community/family oriented they are and how much effort is put into their athletic teams. In the Sonoma area schools are closing, shrinking, dropping freshman teams, just fighting to stay open. 10-30 years ago it was almost completely opposite. There are still some good programs, Vintage, Windsor, San Marin, Rancho but, I mean the “worst” public school Elsie Allen could compete (and beat) CN in the 90s. Even up into the early-mid 10s you would see a Petaluma or Sonoma or Analy or Healdsburg or Casa Grande, ect.. competing with the big dogs in the east bay.
The Problem with CN FB is when you push out a Great Coach like Cronin you tank your program….

These administrators don’t realize that where the High School a kid goes to makes no difference anymore with Social Media, Camps, etc…. Kids can get looked at, scouted and offers and it doesn’t matter who they play for….

As long as they can qualify with their grades they are good so what is the benefit of going to CN over Windsor or another public school?…. None….

Unless the patents are committed to the private school education and paying the money there is no point… if your kid plays sports, the most important thing is Great Coaching to get the the next level….

If CN wants to be great at FB, they need a great coach who can attract the areas best talent…. Baseball and Basketball are easier to do this in because there are less players….

For FB if CN doesn’t get it together with a great Coach they will find themselves in the basement because Windsor has a really good coach and why would any kid play for CN right now over Windsor?…..

I have to say the sky is falling about the decline of the north bay has been going on for 40+ years, yet as you pointed out Rancho, MC, San Marin, Windsor, Newman seem to compete just fine.

Now as far as the worst teams competing against the better teams, I’d disagee. Outside the fluke Elsie upset of Newman in the 90’s and maybe one close game, I seem to remember alot more running clocks in that series than competitive games.

Axcording to this thread CN has fallen off a cliff the last 2 seasons with Sanchez...

I guess losing in the NCS final to a clearly superior Marin Catholic team both years means that.

NCS runner up b2b yrs?...get rid of the bum!

Someone remind me...how many times did Cronin beat Marin Catholic in the playoffs with those great CN teams of his?

Seems to me the journey may have been different but the results were the same.

Oh and Acalanes was better than CN last year...does Sanchez get credit for that playoff win at least? Or it doesn't fit the narrative so we'll overlook that upset victory.

Axcording to this thread CN has fallen off a cliff the last 2 seasons with Sanchez...

I guess losing in the NCS final to a clearly superior Marin Catholic team both years means that.

Someone remind me...how many times did Cronin beat Marin Catholic in the playoffs with those great CN teams of his?

Oh and Acalanes was better than CN last year...does Sanchez get credit for that playoff win at least? Or it doesn't fit the narrative so we'll overlook that upset victory.
Those CN teams with Cronin had some impressive regular seasons and played MC in some epic battles…….as an MC fan it’s been astonishing to see how destructively manhandled and utterly destroyed CN was against MC……Del Norte gave MC 1000000000 times more problems and looked way tougher then CN it was shocking…….now he’s resorted to scheduling teams that Cronin would never bring himself down to schedule, De Anza, St Mary’s of Albany who barely had 20 players a few years ago and Casa? Cmon this isn’t the CN we are used to

Those CN teams with Cronin had some impressive regular seasons and played MC in some epic battles…….as an MC fan it’s been astonishing to see how destructively manhandled and utterly destroyed CN was against MC……Del Norte gave MC 1000000000 times more problems and looked way tougher then CN it was shocking…….now he’s resorted to scheduling teams that Cronin would never bring himself down to schedule, De Anza, St Mary’s of Albany who barely had 20 players a few years ago and Casa? Cmon this isn’t the CN we are used to
Guru, agree with you in terms of maybe my tone was a little harsh. The wheels aren’t totally falling off the bus and the teams by most standards has been sound. But…… Cronin teams were taking on d1-d2 programs in norcal and gap was so small. Scooby Wright doesn’t break his ankle against that Goff led MC team and that outcome IMO is different. I’m going to make an assumption but Cronin is still at newman and likely a few of these Windsor and Rancho kids end up playing at newman. That is a huge difference. Cronin got those kids. Sanchez has not.
The fear of the program is not like it was. I do think the team will be much improved this year and Vacaville is a good test in terms of a strong program that will give us an idea of how good they are. Windsor is absolutely loaded this year and that last game of year will be a war. Let’s see if they can get over hump.

I think the thing is CN has lost 9 games the last 2 years and sure they were section runner up but they were not even Competitive in those games against Marin Catholic…..

They play in D4, they should be in the finals every year and not get blown out…. I do think Sanchez is a good coach, but the negative publicity is not going to help attract players when you have Windsor down the road that is free to attend and has won and been in the D3 finals the last few years….

Reactions: NCS707
A few comments from some of the above comments.

1) Cronin was not forced out, he chose to leave(multiple times - once was a leave/comeback within a few days of each other if memory serves). He will NEVER be back at CN so I agree that is a meaningless conversation moving forward.

2) From what I understand there are no rules or consequences for questionable behavior at Windsor which could lead student/athletes that way as well.

3) Reporters from the Press Democrat are upset that CN is not allowing access to their players/practices. I find it odd that they are pushing for this he said, she said story where there is a lawsuit and obvious privacy obstacles and have not been actively pursuing stories of other schools in their area that have real good extracurricular stories being hidden.

In regards to some comments...

1. The Marin Catholic scrimages were stopped under Cronin.

2. The Anderson Brothers went to Windsor while Cronin was at CN.

3. The last 2 teams and this senior class are Cronin's leftovers. Cupboard was bare and no where near what Paul had been working with prior. Its 1 of the reasons (along with a boatload of cash) that Cronin left for Windsor...not hard decision when you havent got many players.
As far as Sanchez ability to attract kids? THIS YEARS FROSH CLASS IS BY FAR THE BEST IN THE COUNTY. Hands down...no argument. It's absolutely loaded.

4. Up here in the NorthBay we know EXACTLY what Winetot means by "no rules or consequences" Windsor...and a HUGE shocking story that's not being reported on by the PD and the apparent lack of consequences for those actions. A WR from Windsor has transferred to Healdsburg is all that was mentioned by the PD In regards to that shocking story.

Week 10....CN vs Windsor is a LONG WAY OFF... Im interested to see if all the main characters for Windsor will still be in uniform by then. Lots of handcuffing going on over there....

We're about to have "The Catholics vs The Convicts" (high school version) all over again.

Last edited:
  • Haha
In regards to some comments...

1. The Marin Catholic scrimages were stopped under Cronin.

2. The Anderson Brothers went to Windsor while Cronin was at CN.

3. The last 2 teams and this senior class are Cronin's leftovers. Cupboard was bare and no where near what Paul had been working with prior. Its 1 of the reasons (along with a boatload of cash) that Cronin left for Windsor...not hard decision when you havent got many players.
As far as Sanchez ability to attract kids? THIS YEARS FROSH CLASS IS BY FAR THE BEST IN THE COUNTY. Hands down...no argument. It's absolutely loaded.

4. Up here in the NorthBay we know EXACTLY what Winetot means by "no rules or consequences" Windsor...and a HUGE shocking story that's not being reported on by the PD and the apparent lack of consequences for those actions. A WR from Windsor has transferred to Healdsburg is all that was mentioned by the PD In regards to that shocking story.

Week 10....CN vs Windsor is a LONG WAY OFF... Im interested to see if all the main characters for Windsor will still be in uniform by then. Lots of handcuffing going on over there....

We're about to have "The Catholics vs The Convicts" (high school version) all over again.
Guru how is the tall Carrillo kid looking at QB for newman? That was a huge hole last year.
Glad to hear about frosh class. Looks like a few of
Those kids will be immediate contributors.

Yes..IMMEDIATE contributors including frosh Zion Cargill who is the younger brother of 2 time all state basketball player Avery Cargill from the girls basketball team. Keep an eye on him! He looks like the real deal.

I've heard so-so testimony about the qb. He's WAY more mobile than last years qb who is now a lineman BUT not as accurate as hoped.

Honestly..heres my opinion (as a CN homer)..take it for what it worth.

CN will be better than expected...

Windsor qb, Wr's and dB better.

CN line, rb. Lb's better than Windsor.

Rancho clear 3rd place team...

Can't wait for week 10...
Catholics vs Convicts game

I have to say that I know the kid who this article is about. He is one of the most outstanding young men I have ever known. Character is at 100%. Everything I have heard about Sanchez is the opposite. Why this guy is allowed to continue to coach young men is a head scratcher. CN needs to do the correct thing and terminate this turd regardless of how close the season is.
Been there-

When you throw out the word character and neglect to respond to the Windsor comments in this thread I am having a tough time understanding if you truly know the definition of character……. It’s possible I’m missing something but I would be interested in your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hahahaha!!

I just took a gander at Marin Catholics OOC and ohhhhhh my.... thru 3 games a MINUS SOS!!!! and this week an 0-3 team and the week after? 1-2 ???... and you ripped CNs???

Reactions: MC415
Hahahaha!!

I just took a gander at Marin Catholics OOC and ohhhhhh my.... thru 3 games a MINUS SOS!!!! and this week an 0-3 team and the week after? 1-2 ???... and you ripped CNs???
I’ll rip MC OOC too, very weak schedule outside of that SJM game which looked strong at the time but the rest of it is garbage……….read the other thread about Riordan where I said no excuse for MC not having SI, SHC and Riordan on their schedule each year……..it is possible to be critical of multiple teams…… I will donate $500 to the charity if your choice if you find a single post of mine praising MC OOC schedule this year?

At least next year we don’t need to worry there is no ducking competition in the new league they will be in

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
I’ll rip MC OOC too, very weak schedule outside of that SJM game which looked strong at the time but the rest of it is garbage……….read the other thread about Riordan where I said no excuse for MC not having SI, SHC and Riordan on their schedule each year……..it is possible to be critical of multiple teams…… I will donate $500 to the charity if your choice if you find a single post of mine praising MC OOC schedule this year?

At least next year we don’t need to worry there is no ducking competition in the new league they will be in
@MC415, i recall SI and MC had a long standing non-league game set aside for years.. When did that end?

I will agree that the new league next year is going to be REALLY fun!

Pretty good chance there will be 1 "good" team that may not win a game...lol

I will agree that the new league next year is going to be REALLY fun!

Pretty good chance there will be 1 "good" team that may not win a game...lol
It’s looking like both newman and mc have a very good shot of going into last game of season undefeated. Both are huge games. San Marin for MC and Windsor for CN.

Reactions: bella123
Complete league re-alignment in the North Bay. 5, 6? new leagues/levels based on CE.

If someone has the list of teams/leagues can u post it here?

I think in the top league...

MC
CN
Windsor
Rancho
San Marin

Did I forget anyone?
Vintage

League 1: Marin Catholic, Cardinal Newman, Rancho Cotate, San Marin, Vintage and Windsor.

League 2: American Canyon, Casa Grande, Justin-Siena, Petaluma, Redwood, Tamalpais and Napa.

League 3: Analy, Maria Carrillo, Montgomery, St. Vincent, Santa Rosa and Ukiah.

League 4: Archie Williams, Healdsburg, Novato, Piner, San Rafael, Sonoma Valley and Terra Linda.

Reactions: RLS13 and MC415
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT