ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle beats San Ramon Valley 49-14

My sample size is pretty small, but added value as I had access to birthdates via LL. True, there are many factors that lead to success or mediocrity if you’re so inclined. The fact mine was 20 months younger and in secondary sport still outrated the FBS recruit in their shared senior year proves that holding your kid back solely for a perceived athletic advantage is for...well Crete describes some parents colorfully @#30.

These arguments are always a little silly to me. You can play or you can't. You may be more physically developed, but just being older doesn't make you a star. Just like being young for your grade doesn't make you a great prospect
As far as being young for your grade, it’s pretty big for MiLB. Getting a third year player in the draft who just turned 20 means getting a college experienced player who’s almost the same age as some HS seniors. The studies are proving college experienced players rise faster than their drafted out of HS unproven counterparts.

A quick search reveals in a CIF FB section an MD must approve if <15. Better be sure that premium is paid.

Last edited:
Reactions: concrete17
I didn’t play at the D1 Level, but I did play football at a pretty good JC. During the season Monday through Friday football required 20-25 hours, plus basically all day Saturday. Stopped playing when I transferred to a FBS school because I wasn’t good enough to make it and instead worked a 4PM-1230AM shift full time at a Walgreens to support myself. That was much more difficult.

Understand Speedster I was a blue collar hillbilly from southern Ohio when I got into Cal . Never knew what being rich was until I met other kids in/ out of classes. Worked my way thru College and almost made studying there a lifetime career graduating in 5 and NO athletic inclinations.
Mrs Concrete was old country, old school and drove it home to junior his only job and most important job was working hard at his studies Think athletics was a release for him, no matter how difficult the training but I still think it was a super man effort
Everybody's experience is unique.

Honestly I just took exception to the super hero remark, only because I know people that have graduated from college under really tough circumstances.

But ultimately I agree with your main point, graduating from college while playing a sport is really tough, because from a time standpoint it IS a full time job. And it’s even tougher when you want to do something math/science related like your son; definitely something to be really proud of.

Understand Speedster I was a blue collar hillbilly from southern Ohio when I got into Cal . Never knew what being rich was until I met other kids in/ out of classes. Worked my way thru College and almost made studying there a lifetime career graduating in 5 and NO athletic inclinations.
Mrs Concrete was old country, old school and drove it home to junior his only job and most important job was working hard at his studies Think athletics was a release for him, no matter how difficult the training but I still think it was a super man effort
Everybody's experience is unique.

It's a 99% guarantee that they will make it to the Open bowl game. If they lose to CVC it would be a huge embarrassment.
Definitely don't see DLS losing to CVC lol. I also feel almost certain that DLS will be the open rep for NorCal, but I was also certain in 08 they were going to be the open rep when the CIF picked Grant instead. So based on that decision, I never count my chickens before they are hatched lol.

If somehow Folsom gets the pick over DLS, this will set a dangerous precedent for the future. Schedule soft non-league and go undefeated and you get the open.
I agree. Not saying Grant didn't deserve it in 08, but I'm sure you recall everyone felt DLS had the better schedule, but their one loss kept them out and Grants schedule I guess was just good enough to get the nod

Streak I'd agree that 21-points on 3 INT's were huge in the DLS blowout of SRV. You mentioned Monte Vista from last season 2016 whom I followed all season last year. Based upon the schedules and wins this season's SRV actually looks to be the better of the 2 teams. 2016 Monte Vista who went 12-1 had 7 games against very low ranked teams in rolling up an impressive record before the 45-17 loss to DLS. I'd thought the same might happen with this DLS-SRV game and the scores were very close: DLS 45-17 last season vs Monte Vista and 49-14 last nite vs SRV with running clock and a SRV TD in closing minutes. The only way fans can get a better read on such teams is if they schedule an early season higher ranked team instead of playing the same teams annually within their own locale so to speak [or put DLS on the schedule a bit earlier]. I think fans would also like to see games such as SRV or Monte Vista vs St. Francis, Serra or Valley Christian.

So far this season besides DLS I've been very impressed with Pitt.

I also think SRV ‘17 better and to add to your points I’d say that this year’s DLS team is much better than the one that blew out MV last year — remember DLS only beat SRV by 1 last year

No they would not beat Gorman this year. That's an absurd statement to make.

Says Iowa State to Oklahoma and TCU

You have scoreboard, but that’s not an absurd statement at all for lots of reasons that aren’t worth getting into

DLS regularly almost loses to an amador valley, Monte Vista SRV etc and then goes to win the SBG by double digits

They can beat Gorman — just not with their worst game of season, losing their best offensive and defensive player before halftime and TOs. They need their A game or Gorman’s F game but to say a different result is absurd is absurd — happens all of the time at every level (see Chandler and mountain point last year exchanging blowout wins over each other)

I did and agree it's a stretch of the imagination to think DLS would win a hypothetical rematch this year

Agree 100%

however it would not be a stretch to think they could potentially make it a little more competitive.

That's a possibility but this Gorman team would win 10/10 versus this Dls team.

A better analysis on some fictitious rematch could be made if DLS makes it to open and potentially faces MD.

It's a 99% guarantee that they will make it to the Open bowl game. If they lose to CVC it would be a huge embarrassment. Given that Northern Nevada's current #3 team steamrolled CVC. Reed was leading 38-8 late in the fourth QTR.

That would be a real test to see if DLS has improved a lot since early in the season. Hard to get a true read on them when they play inferior competition.

I would love it if Sparty beat MD this year!

No one besides you that watched that game would say 10/10

Or, it would be the same people that said DLS couldn’t come back against sjc at halftime

No one said they cornered the market on holding back or were the only school who have had 19 year old seniors. Sure, this is something that happens every now and then at every school. Someone had posted that a freshman stud QB had been called up to varsity at DLS. Another poster asked, "what is he 14 years old"?, and I responded by saying that I thought there was a rule that you had to be at least 15 to play varsity. It took off from there, but it's not like DLS doesn't have hold backs either. There happened to be a slew of them from San Ramon a few years back that did not go unnoticed by the locals that had kids who had played with or against them in little league.

Agree with comments

FWIW, the Houston’s are the only family i know/ knew at DLS where there seemed to be an athletically motivated hold back but it could have in kindergarten — freshmen with drivers licenses are a bit suspicious

These arguments are always a little silly to me. You can play or you can't. You may be more physically developed, but just being older doesn't make you a star. Just like being young for your grade doesn't make you a great prospect

Yes and no

It’s undeniable that average 17 year olds are better than average 16 year olds so not sure it’s silly discussion — plus, it’s undeniable that parents do this

I️ moved from Indiana to TX amberween 8th and 9th and had a major growth spurt in 8th grade (my last as it turned out). I️ know my 9th grade football program said 6’, 119#. My parents asked me if i wanted to repeat 8th grade in TX and i was a 4.0 student (at the time). i didn’t but this was 1978 in rural Indiana when 3-sport athletes were still the norm and helicopter parents hadn’t been invented

Streak-
I am not sure if your taking the High Road to sound Imperial. Do you truly think a year to two doesn't make a huge difference in High School sports? Being held back can and does influence how kids respond and perform.
Here's wishing you great hoops

Repeated 8th?

Wonder if they did same thing for Justin

I’m pretty sure they did. Parents can do what they want but in my opinion it makes no sense to have a perfectly smart kid repeat the 8th grade, especially ones that are D1/NFL bound anyway.

Last edited:
Says Iowa State to Oklahoma and TCU

You have scoreboard, but that’s not an absurd statement at all for lots of reasons that aren’t worth getting into

DLS regularly almost loses to an amador valley, Monte Vista SRV etc and then goes to win the SBG by double digits

They can beat Gorman — just not with their worst game of season, losing their best offensive and defensive player before halftime and TOs. They need their A game or Gorman’s F game but to say a different result is absurd is absurd — happens all of the time at every level (see Chandler and mountain point last year exchanging blowout wins over each other)

If you want to speculate well then Monte Vista has the same chance of beating Dls in a rematch this year.

Let's just stick to the facts. If one false start penalty was correctly called on the Spartans lone scoring drive. They probably would have been shut out that night.

If you want to speculate well then Monte Vista has the same chance of beating Dls in a rematch this year.

Let's just stick to the facts. If one false start penalty was correctly called on the Spartans lone scoring drive. They probably would have been shut out that night.

Wow! I see why all the posters were shocked about DLS QB play. I've watched DLS for over 20 years and I've never seen them in such bad shape at QB. Do they have a stud on the JV level?

Streak-
I am not sure if your taking the High Road to sound Imperial. Do you truly think a year to two doesn't make a huge difference in High School sports? Being held back can and does influence how kids respond and perform.

To me, you either have skills or you don't. Yes being older gives you another year or two of development that can increase skill but simply being old for your grade doesn't make you an impact player. I'm sure we have all seen 19 year olds who were just ok

On the flip side, being young does mean you likely have more physical maturity to come which can mean a higher ceiling. However it isn't a given. I had a coach tell me about a player once and the first thing he said after his name was, "and he's young for his grade." And that continued to be his calling call throughout his career because the skill level wasn't up to par.

It can make a difference, but it shouldn't be assumed that it does

Reactions: Bubba3000
To me, you either have skills or you don't. Yes being older gives you another year or two of development that can increase skill but simply being old for your grade doesn't make you an impact player. I'm sure we have all seen 19 year olds who were just ok

On the flip side, being young does mean you likely have more physical maturity to come which can mean a higher ceiling. However it isn't a given. I had a coach tell me about a player once and the first thing he said after his name was, "and he's young for his grade." And that continued to be his calling call throughout his career because the skill level wasn't up to par.

It can make a difference, but it shouldn't be assumed that it does

Streak- In and of itself your points are made but they are incomplete in the total. The ones for the most part being held back, are already the ones with the most considered talent and potential. This added one to two years of headway give a decided advantage. I must say, I am strictly speaking of and for high School athletics. Your points come into more consideration when considering college and future potential.

Reactions: 1315
I agree on these points. Most of the top talented kids on our programs usually are older and have been held back at some point. I believe this is the standard now.

-Brother Pete

I'll add to this. I started being highly encouraged to keep my son back when he was only in the 3rd grade. I had many many people tugging st me to do this, for advantages later in high school football. You would be amazed at how frequent this happened. I had several of his teammates back then do that I couldn't do it. A season did not pass without this coming up. As a senior he's only 16 but I didn't try to cheat the system of keep him back. He's done just fine in his high school years on the field and classroom. In the football circles it's pretty common.

Last edited:
There are very few academic or psychological reasons for repeating 8th; commonly via a private as public admins will not approve when academically, promotion is validated. The Dorris Eaton types of privates attract the academically talented...they’re getting kids who SKIP a grade UP. The parochials need tuition and typically only exclude special needs/very low performing (hence, “admittance tests”) as taxpayer funded programs via publics are tailored better for that population, and via budgetary terms, privates are unwilling to broadly accept a population which requires significant monetary investment.

To me, it’s sillly to hold back at K or 8th for athletic reasons. As Streak intimates, either you’re soft or not! But some of these families have a lot riding on their progeny getting that coveted “paid for” college spot. And it’s fact it may not work.

@60- “this is the standard now.” That may be true in privates. There are strict guidelines about academic promotion in publics wherein if a parent whose kid is promotion worthy academically wants him/her held back, MDs and Staff Psych. must weigh in. My observations are they then simply repeat at a private, which have looser promotion requirements, and remain there OR rejoin their peers later at -1 grade. The parochials in the East Bay have open arms, with the admittance of non-Catholics steadily rising. For example, the Diocese of Oakland (covering much of the East Bay) is closing elementary campuses due to low enrollment and has put the touted Livermore HS on the shelf.

There are very few academic or psychological reasons for repeating 8th; commonly via a private as public admins will not approve when academically, promotion is validated. The Dorris Eaton types of privates attract the academically talented...they’re getting kids who SKIP a grade UP. The parochials need tuition and typically only exclude special needs/very low performing (hence, “admittance tests”) as taxpayer funded programs via publics are tailored better for that population, and via budgetary terms, privates are unwilling to broadly accept a population which requires significant monetary investment.

To me, it’s sillly to hold back at K or 8th for athletic reasons. As Streak intimates, either you’re soft or not! But some of these families have a lot riding on their progeny getting that coveted “paid for” college spot. And it’s fact it may not work.

@60- “this is the standard now.” That may be true in privates. There are strict guidelines about academic promotion in publics wherein if a parent whose kid is promotion worthy academically wants him/her held back, MDs and Staff Psych. must weigh in. My observations are they then simply repeat at a private, which have looser promotion requirements, and remain there OR rejoin their peers later at -1 grade. The parochials in the East Bay have open arms, with the admittance of non-Catholics steadily rising. For example, the Diocese of Oakland (covering much of the East Bay) is closing elementary campuses due to low enrollment and has put the touted Livermore HS on the shelf.

Some parents are choosing to pay for high school in order to get free college. IMO the kids at DLS or any other private school would have gotten free college after attending free public high school because they can play and recruiters can see that.

Last edited:
Some parents are choosing to pay for high school in order to get free college. IMO the kids at DLS or any other private school would have gotten free college after attending free public high school because they can play and recruiters can see that.
100 percent agree. At the big publics you're going to get seen no matter what. Might as well get free HS and College and invest your money elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT