ADVERTISEMENT

De La Salle vs Folsom

sounds like best folsom def ever, ya’ll don’t hold dls to 14 point often no matta who ya are

Very true. And not good news for the SFL opponents of Folsom. From a state perspective, the southern Cal game on Folsom's schedule looms bright. It will be interested if they continue with this great defense and right the offensive ship.

Reactions: cashisking18
Folsom/CashKing

Hang your head high bro, Folsom played their butts off against the machine. Your passion for Folsom brings back memories of when my SL Pirates battled DLS in the early 2000's (the Dixon years). SL went 48-4 with all losses to the Spartans. SL was loaded with talent as is Folsom now. It took time but I've grown to respect DLS, their coaches, players & supporters are by far top notch. Losing to DLS is by no means the end to Folsom's season, keep it classy and when you go down south to play Chaminade, I'm sure you'll have ALL of nor-cal behind you!!

If you didn't watch carefully, Ngata's getting the ball even if they triple team him.

I’m guessing you haven’t seen Paris jr he’s a manchild hismelf. Ngata is way more polished for sure but I don’t think any 1 man will stop him as in any case against a good high school athlete. I’d love to see folsom play in the open some how and get a shot to face one of so cal super teams like dls has to do year in and year out. What I took away from last night game was gained respect for folsom and appreciation of how great mater Dei was last year or Bishop Gorman

I’m guessing you haven’t seen Paris jr he’s a manchild hismelf. Ngata is way more polished for sure but I don’t think any 1 man will stop him as in any case against a good high school athlete. I’d love to see folsom play in the open some how and get a shot to face one of so cal super teams like dls has to do year in and year out. What I took away from last night game was gained respect for folsom and appreciation of how great mater Dei was last year or Bishop Gorman

I have seen Paris Jr. and I totally agree with you. Total respect. But offense has the advantage as you know. Even a great athlete that has to react is going to have trouble by himself. That being said, you may as well triple team him as that will put three defenders in the area of where the ball is going.

Primo that is some impressive, quickie research and in the middle of the night no less !! 2 questions:
1) Which power drink do you swear by at that hour coffee, Monster or Rock Star?

None of the above ;) Never been a coffee drinker or energy drink guy. I'm just naturally a night owl and I never understood morning people.

That is some serious info mining bet you could find how many pieces of chewing gum Aliotti destroyed last night while pacing the sidelines.....

Nothing complicated or time consuming at all. Just a couple different sorts. I was just curious more than anything and thought I'd share.

Thunder, In super slow mo you can “clearly” see it. At full speed, with the linesman right there, it was called a fumble. Let’s just stop this now and move on....as hard as it is to do.

Not hard to do at all. Relax bro. I was just commenting on what I finally got to see. I didn't have the benefit of seeing it live cause the cam on the stream that I was watching at the time didn't follow the ball.

As I stated, I think the official that was on the goal line was focused on whether the ball crossed the line and couldn't see the knee at the same time. Totally understandable. Same thing happens in college and the pros all the time. They just have the luxury of replay to get both actions right.

I'd be pointing out the same thing if it happened to the Spartans. I believe in being real and fair. That's all.

Acknowledging the incorrect call as a factor in the game isn't making an excuse. I have no idea what would have happened afterward had it been ruled correctly. Maybe Folsom throws an INT on the next play. IDK. But assuming they did find a way to score, it does change the game somewhat. But it doesn't mean Folsom wins, so don't mistake the point.

The end result IMO is that both defenses were stellar and kept their teams in the game but the Spartans made better in-game and halftime adjustments. That, along with Folsom's forced and unforced turnovers/penalty's ultimately determined the outcome. DLS earned the W and Folsom earned the L. But commenting on the how's and why's it happened is what we do here. No big deal.

My take aways from the game [no new insight, just my wish to chime in].

1st - This was the first game for both teams in the middle of August in a state where contact practice is highly restricted into the 2nd week of August. So you have to look through mistakes, miscues and other performance issues that you know will get better toward season end.

2nd - I was pleasantly surprised by Folsom defense. They are good now and they are going to be very good by season end. They controlled the LOS for most of the game.

3rd - Although I had heard that DLS defense was going to be good this year, its much better than I thought it was going to be. It is going to be a wrecking ball against nearly any team at any level. They were especially dominant in the secondary.

4th - I see lots of potential for the Folsom offense. This game could have easily gone the other way with just a few of the fouled up plays landing on Folsom's draw-of-fortune instead leaning toward DLS luckiness. The kinks will be worked out and they will regularly score against even the best of opponents.

5th - I was a little disappointed by DLS offense. They will need to perfect their offensive scheme, timing and LOS control significantly to perform well against the top teams. That being said, historically, DLS radically improves by late season. The basic fundamentals seem to be present for make big improvements.

6th - The DLS freshman playing on the JV squad, #10 Zeke Berry, has lots of potential. He was a prolific running back. He is listed as on the DLS frosh team but he is definitely ready for the JV level.

7th - The Folsom JV QB, (I think he was #14 Matt Cajura but please correct me if you know I got it wrong because he deserves proper credit) was pretty good. He has a good arm and was very mobile. His accuracy was less notable though. His QB run plays made incredible yards through defenders. If the team allows for it in the future, he would make a far better RB than a QB.

I believe the Folsom JV frosh QB is David Clark III. He is a known QB for the class of 2022. As we agreed at the game, he looks like he is going to be a load and player in the coming years. He made a few mistakes but the pure talent was evident.

I believe the Folsom JV frosh QB is David Clark III. He is a known QB for the class of 2022. As we agreed at the game, he looks like he is going to be a load and player in the coming years. He made a few mistakes but the pure talent was evident.

I think you'll see a talented Soph or Junior QB transfer to Folsom in December.

sounds like best folsom def ever, ya’ll don’t hold dls to 14 point often no matta who ya are

I don't like to overreact to one game. It is always easy to do but we sometimes find out later in the season that it wasn't all we thought it was cracked up to be.

If the Spartans offense goes out in 4 weeks and racks up points against The Bishop. This Folsom performance will look just like we think it looks now. But if they get shut down completely or held to 7 points like they did last season -- and they struggle in the other games leading up to it -- it suddenly doesn't look as impressive.

I expect them to open the veer up as the season goes along, which is something they don't usually do early on and why most opponents prefer to face them early rather than late in the season.

Regardless, Folsom played tremendously as evidenced by the fact that not many have held them to 14 or under in ANY week of the season.

I'm just reserving some judgement until we get the larger picture.

Doubt it but all teams should put 2 over the top when facing Folsom period. Badger probably will be the harder cover either way folsom wins by a couple tds this year

Yeah, they've got to use Badger a bit more. That kid is a really good receiver too. I thought Folsom could have went to him more last night.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why Folsom went away from the inside a sweep. Except for a no gainer in the 4th quarter, they ran it with success every single time as DLS had too many marking his big bro. It was working from the get go, and then they’d stop and go for the Home Run Ball. Little Nagata shoulda had 20 rushes IMHO.

Thanks for the correction - I remembered we talked about #7 David Clark III at the game but for some reason I was also impressed by #14 - thanks for the mental nudge. I'm going to change it in the original post!

I’m not sure why Folsom went away from the inside a sweep. Except for a no gainer in the 4th quarter, they ran it with success every single time as DLS had too many marking his big bro. It was working from the get go, and then they’d stop and go for the Home Run Ball. Little Nagata shoulda had 20 rushes IMHO.

Kid showed up to play. That line can run block. Give it to him over and over.

Reactions: sarpar
Agreed. He should have gotten at least 20 rushes. I think they're overall gameplan was a bit scattered and too reactive. It was almost like they couldnt really figure out what they were really trying to do. Rather they just kind of poked around and thought something would eventually stick.

Yeah, they've got to use Badger a bit more. That kid is a really good receiver too. I thought Folsom could have went to him more last night.
Dude has the same impressive offers as Ngata has as a junior. He is truly underrated, mostly because of Ngata.

Kid has offers from almost every big program in the country so far. He added 20 pounds of muscle in the off season. More to follow on this kid.....

Reactions: SpartanzRule
SFL refs? Dave Cutaia, former Pac12 Officials Coordinator and the Dean of all Contra Costa referees, was the head guy? Did DLS fill in the rest with all SFL guys?

I told you a looooong time ago. But you argued this point with me. When the chips are down, teams will resort back to what they’re comfortable with. Foslom’s a pass heavy team. That’s what they do when the chips are down.

Thanks for the correction - I remembered we talked about #7 David Clark III at the game but for some reason I was also impressed by #14 - thanks for the mental nudge. I'm going to change it in the original post!
#14 was impressive as well.

Dude has the same impressive offers as Ngata has as a junior. He is truly underrated, mostly because of Ngata.

Kid has offers from almost every big program in the country so far. He added 20 pounds of muscle in the off season. More to follow on this kid.....

He’s not underrated! He’s got offers from a bunch of Power 5 teams. He’s going to get ALOT more after this season. As you would say....book it..

Not hard to do at all. Relax bro. I was just commenting on what I finally got to see. I didn't have the benefit of seeing it live cause the cam on the stream that I was watching at the time didn't follow the ball.

As I stated, I think the official that was on the goal line was focused on whether the ball crossed the line and couldn't see the knee at the same time. Totally understandable. Same thing happens in college and the pros all the time. They just have the luxury of replay to get both actions right.

I'd be pointing out the same thing if it happened to the Spartans. I believe in being real and fair. That's all.

Acknowledging the incorrect call as a factor in the game isn't making an excuse. I have no idea what would have happened afterward had it been ruled correctly. Maybe Folsom throws an INT on the next play. IDK. But assuming they did find a way to score, it does change the game somewhat. But it doesn't mean Folsom wins, so don't mistake the point.

The end result IMO is that both defenses were stellar and kept their teams in the game but the Spartans made better in-game and halftime adjustments. That, along with Folsom's forced and unforced turnovers/penalty's ultimately determined the outcome. DLS earned the W and Folsom earned the L. But commenting on the how's and why's it happened is what we do here. No big deal.

Im relaxed. Just making conversation. Honestly, I never....ok rarely....get too worked up about this stuff. The internet sucks because there is no voice inflection to get context. You know I respect what you say. This game could have gone either way. I just remember DLS playing ET and “what could have been”. I just realized I had to move from it is all. Maybe too early to recommend he SFL/Folsom faithful to do that. :DLol. Peace, brother.

He’s going to be up there with Harris and Mixon. Same with that kid from O’Dowd.

He’s not underrated! He’s got offers from a bunch of Power 5 teams. He’s going to get ALOT more after this season. As you would say....book it..
I know how good he is. I guess I meant more unknown. Just doesn't get mentioned as much because Ngata is such a beast.

And practically every time they went to him, he made a play.

I know it's easy to criticize coaching decisions and play arm chair QB. But Folsom has so much talent, they do themselves a disservice IMO by not spreading the ball around.

I'm not a SF 49ers fan, but during their heyday, that's one of the things they did best. They didn't just go to Jerry Rice via the air or Roger Craig via the ground. John Taylor. Tom Rathman. Brent Jones. They all played key roles and made big plays while defenses focused on the star players. Eventually teams started reacting to the complimentary players that things eventually opened up for Rice.

IMO, Badger is the Bulldogs version of John Taylor. And we all remember the huge games Taylor used to have. He's the one always in highlights catching Montana's game winning TD pass in SB XXIV.

Teams that don't have Folsom's talent obviously don't have the luxury of spreading the ball around. Most teams typically have 1 or 2 marquee players and they have to ride them at all times. But this current Folsom offense can be 49ers like. If defenses want to play 2 over the top and key on Joe Ngata, fine. Keep handing it to Daniyel and throw it to Elijah and Parker. We saw what Elijah could do in SBG last season. He's a physical, fast tackle breaker too.

Make defenses pay for two over the top and keying on Joe.

I just remember DLS playing ET and “what could have been”.

Yeah, I fully recall how I felt when DLS lost that one against Texas. It hurt. And I was having the same uphill battle explaining to the trolls piling on the loss how the game easily could have went the other way. I mean, earlier events in the game aside, they had the winning TD there for the taking but just overthrew the pass off the trick play. If it's not overthrown -- something totally out of control of Euless Trinity's defenses control -- the Spartans come back home with a W. IIRC, DLS also had numerous unforced turnovers that prevented would be scores. They lost, but the game was there for the taking. They just didn't get it done.

I thought the same thing applied to Folsom last night. They had their chances, but failed to convert. If the 2 teams played tonight or next week, maybe they makes those plays. Who knows.

Point is, the game was closely contested and not a foregone conclusion as in past games or as the NorCal haters on Prep's site try to make it out to be. But all due props to DLS's defense and their adjustments offensively. They deserved the W w/o doubt.

Reactions: SpartanzRule
ALL SFL teams eh?

Wow. You are in trouble with some major running clocks coming your way this season.

Thanks for the compliments though. Let's see more of that! Friendship at its finest!
Cashisking when he is 80......we never beat DLS....No matter who we recruited.....we could beat the other D2,D3 teams in our league but we could never run with the big boys.....coulda, shoulda, woulda but NEVER did....LMAO....book that!

Reactions: RidgeRider
Cashisking when he is 80......we never beat DLS....No matter who we recruited.....we could beat the other D2,D3 teams in our league but we could never run with the big boys.....coulda, shoulda, woulda but NEVER did....LMAO....book that!
How creative of you.

Yeah, I fully recall how I felt when DLS lost that one against Texas. It hurt. And I was having the same uphill battle explaining to the trolls piling on the loss how the game easily could have went the other way. I mean, earlier events in the game aside, they had the winning TD there for the taking but just overthrew the pass off the trick play. If it's not overthrown -- something totally out of control of Euless Trinity's defenses control -- the Spartans come back home with a W. IIRC, DLS also had numerous unforced turnovers that prevented would be scores. They lost, but the game was there for the taking. They just didn't get it done.

I thought the same thing applied to Folsom last night. They had their chances, but failed to convert. If the 2 teams played tonight or next week, maybe they makes those plays. Who knows.

Point is, the game was closely contested and not a foregone conclusion as in past games or as the NorCal haters on Prep's site try to make it out to be. But all due props to DLS's defense and their adjustments offensively. They deserved the W w/o doubt.

Lol! You just brought me back. There was no less than 5 missed opportunities for DLS to put that gdnf away early. The overthrow on the wheel route that woulda been 6, The perfectly thrown dropped pass that would’ve put DLS up 15, instead the fumble and return TD on the very next play that pulled ET within 2 before half, the fumble at the ET 5 on their first possession of the second half, the botched fumble out of bounds after it hit the DLS LB right in his hands with nothing but sideline in front of him, and of course the final overthrow at the end. Just wow. So I get it.

Folsom runs the spread which is designed to spread it around as you say. Pretty interesting, right?

Exactly. I think they do it, for the most part. But when you have a player like Joe Ngata, it's easy to get away from spreading it around as much -- especially against top tier opponents that can defend like a DLS. And last night seemed to mostly be Joe or Daniyel or QB scramble.

I liked the designed QB roll outs. I just wish Kaiden had been more decisive and accurate with his throws and looked for Badger and Clayton a bit more.

Reactions: ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL
I watched the JV game and #10 rb for DLS is a freshman and watch out for him. I don't get the comments re. Folsom #7 qb having a great future. Big, but can't maneuver; not enough speed.

I think you could make an argument that he is every bit as talented as the guy on the other side. Not John Taylor in other words. More like Duper and Clayton of Miami.

You might be right. He's only a JR. and exactly where Joe was last season. For all we know, he's one of those players that lives in the shadow of an older, more heralded player but ends up just as good or better.

FWIW, as a life-long and long suffering Miami Dolphins fan -- I appreciate the Marks Bros. reference. ;)

Reactions: ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL
With the veer keeping the clock ticking, an opponent gets 1.5 possessions per quarter (6 per game.) Five turnovers is fatal. Having seen deLa/EBAL QBs, and TTrosin the year he set records, IMO Folsom gets huge props/ridiculous scoring based on SOS. Extrapolating, when facing a ground n pound, with a plethora of coaching, not the same results.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT