ADVERTISEMENT

Del Oro vs Central Catholic - SJS DII Semifinal 23-12 DO Final

Was he the one that threw the 90 yard TD pass? That was a perfect toss. Beautiful play.
No that beauty was thrown by the junior #13 Jarrett. Great pass on the big play you mention to #6 junior Guzman, who had a breakout performance when it was needed most. Guzman also had the intial TD, a 99yd KO return to get DO going, also an INT, clearly MVP of this big win. Section champ games at Sac St next Sat will be great games. DO and Granite Bay know each other as well as any 2 teams. 1st time they met was SFL opener mid Sept. Del Oro has found itself, should be a great game. Folsom v St. Mary's will be a dandy too.

Reactions: smashmouthrick
...Del Oro has found itself, should be a great game...
Got that right.

Clearly the Indy game was not a one and done DO got lucky type of game. Just can’t write them off so easily as a few here have done. They are peaking at the right time. The OL is the unit that has most “found itself”. They are playing physical, something they were not doing well during regular season. Coach G has them fired up.

No. CC's starting QB did not play tonight. 2nd string QB started and played they entire game. I had friends at the game and they said 2nd string QB was a mess.

Well, the QB that beat St. Mary's did start and play tonight. He was pretty mobile and could throw and run, didn't look hurt at all. He was also the same QB who played and beat Rocklin last week.

Heard it was a great game!!!! Where's the poster that said " CC is a much better coached team, with better athletes than D.O. " and picked CC to win by 3 scores? Ooooops

Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
I will always respect D.O program because of their pre-season SOS. I've been hard on another team in the SFL but I will never be hard on D.O because their pre-season strength of schedule is always challenging. As a football "JUNKIE" I appreciate D.O schedule and I will defend them to the hilt on this.

It doesn't matter how well your coaches prep this week DO is going to lose. They will lose to a better coached team and a team with more athletes. It's been a rough season by DO standards and I don't believe the new guy is the answer to take DO to the next level. To be honest, I still believe DO Nation will miss coach Taylor before he misses DO. That's the hardcore facts.

Heard it was a great game!!!! Where's the poster that said " CC is a much better coached team, with better athletes than D.O. " and picked CC to win by 3 scores? Ooooops
Well, I said prior to this game I will always respect D.O. program because of their preseason schedule. I had respect for Casey Taylor as being a great coach in the post season as well. That said, I was totally off base with my prediction in this game. I owe and will give the new D.O. head coach and his staff more respect moving forward. Basically, you won't get me to doubt them as a coaching unit anymore. Some are saying this was just a bad game by Central Catholic. I say BS, because I know Central Catholic has a great coach and coaching staff and some of the best athletes in NorCal on their roster. No excuses from me. D.O. was the better coached team last night. I didn't understand CC going for two points after scoring. I thought missing the first two was a big coaching mistake. That reminded me of Folsom going for it on 4th down in their own territory. I was wrong with my prediction for this game, however I was not the poster that said CC by 3 scores. I'm on record saying CC 28 D.O. 14. That was a great win by Del Oro and I have them to beat a very good Granite Bay team in the finals 21-14. I didn't expect to get them all right folks and I hope you didn't either. Congrats to D.O. and respect to your teams SOS in which I believe is a big reason to you post season success.

Well, I said prior to this game I will always respect D.O. program because of their preseason schedule. I had respect for Casey Taylor as being a great coach in the post season as well. That said, I was totally off base with my prediction in this game. I owe and will give the new D.O. head coach and his staff more respect moving forward. Basically, you won't get me to doubt them as a coaching unit anymore. Some are saying this was just a bad game by Central Catholic. I say BS, because I know Central Catholic has a great coach and coaching staff and some of the best athletes in NorCal on their roster. No excuses from me. D.O. was the better coached team last night. I didn't understand CC going for two points after scoring. I thought missing the first two was a big coaching mistake. That reminded me of Folsom going for it on 4th down in their own territory. I was wrong with my prediction for this game, however I was not the poster that said CC by 3 scores. I'm on record saying CC 28 D.O. 14. That was a great win by Del Oro and I have them to beat a very good Granite Bay team in the finals 21-14. I didn't expect to get them all right folks and I hope you didn't either. Congrats to D.O. and respect to your teams SOS in which I believe is a big reason to you post season success.
Spot on

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
smashmouthrick, that was an impressive win by your D.O. program and you should be very proud to be associated with the Golden Eagles success over the years. They beat a very good C.C. team that was up on Oakdale late into their game. That said, D.O. messed up most everyone's bracket by beating C.C.. The armchair coaches that slighted D.O. are looking pretty bad today. I'm happy that I'm not by myself in that category. Lol;)

smashmouthrick, that was an impressive win by your D.O. program and you should be very proud to be associated with the Golden Eagles success over the years. They beat a very good C.C. team that was up on Oakdale late into their game. That said, D.O. messed up most everyone's bracket by beating C.C. Most armchair coaches that slighted D.O. are looking pretty bad today. I'm happy that I'm not by myself in that category. Lol;)

CC was favored for a reason. They are super athletic and their running back is about as good as I’ve seen. If you picked CC to win, you were being smart.

DO is playing it’s best defense of the season and with Coach G calling the plays on O, they are finally scoring points. He added some new wrinkles last night which proved effective. He doesn’t get enough credit.

CC was favored for a reason. They are super athletic and their running back is about as good as I’ve seen. If you picked CC to win, you were being smart.

DO is playing it’s best defense of the season and with Coach G calling the plays on O, they are finally scoring points. He added some new wrinkles last night which proved effective. He doesn’t get enough credit.
DO played similar D last night that they played vs Indy. Key to containing Booker, who is one of the best RB’s I’ve seen, was putting OLB’s over OT’s. In second half they moved OLB’s even further outside OT’s and brought up safety. Agree Coach G is dialing up some plays and keeping motion and formations pretty basic.

Reactions: RidgeRider
No that beauty was thrown by the junior #13 Jarrett. Great pass on the big play you mention to #6 junior Guzman, who had a breakout performance when it was needed most. Guzman also had the intial TD, a 99yd KO return to get DO going, also an INT, clearly MVP of this big win. Section champ games at Sac St next Sat will be great games. DO and Granite Bay know each other as well as any 2 teams. 1st time they met was SFL opener mid Sept. Del Oro has found itself, should be a great game. Folsom v St. Mary's will be a dandy too.

I am going to say that DO wins - mostly due to better ability to produce on offense.

Seriously disagree with this. In most cases than not score comparison is one of the great ways to predict a game. Is it a perfect science, heck no but it is one of the best ways to determine a outcome. There are other ways to predict a game as well such as an injured QB or other important player not playing. Without knowing about certain situations before the game can make score comparison a piece of trash as you said. However, I could show you a hundred examples why score comparisons are a legit tool to use when predicting a game.

That's also assuming that all things are created equal. Expecting/assuming that 16-18 year old kids are going to preform the same in week 6 as week 12 is ridiculous. CC is legit. But guess what DO is too.

Reactions: mudhound
Hey, crow ain't bad with Hidden Valley Ranch!!! I'd advise a few other posters to try it.:eek:

Hey Junkie are you going to make a "Did we anoint CC on false pretense?"

DO is a good football team. So was Lincoln, so was Indy, so was CC. Maybe, just maybe, all those teams ran into a buzz saw? I believe D2, pound for pound is the most competitive division round by round in Norcal

Hey Junkie are you going to make a "Did we anoint CC on false pretense?"

DO is a good football team. So was Lincoln, so was Indy, so was CC. Maybe, just maybe, all those teams ran into a buzz saw? I believe D2, pound for pound is the most competitive division round by round in Norcal
Wouldn't make sense to do that knowing CC has won multiple State Championships. You're comparing apples to oranges here. How did that Granite Bay 9-7 win over your Del Campo guarantee win go? Try that Hidden Valley Ranch on your Crow bro.

Reactions: mudhound
That's also assuming that all things are created equal. Expecting/assuming that 16-18 year old kids are going to preform the same in week 6 as week 12 is ridiculous. CC is legit. But guess what DO is too.
I do very well with score comparison as well as other solid methods to predict an outcome of a game. You should play Pick'em next season. I would love to see your score every week if you don't utilize score comparison. Like I said, it's not an exact science but it's a legit tool to use to predict the outcome of (some) or (certain) games.

The problem with that for me is I’m busy preparing my team every week to pay attention to opponents that aren’t on the schedule

Reactions: ThunderRam
Central Catholic - a 1st class football program, in victory or in defeat, Coach Canepa and the young man Dauson Booker, what a player and kid.

The Raiders are a helluva team that could have competed well in ANY bracket. Let's not forget that they beat St. Mary's -- currently in the D1 Finals -- by 13. The Rams certainly had their share of injury issues in that game and are probably playing a lot better than they were then, but that's still a legit win. As was their blowout of Rocklin and close games with Oakdale and Del Oro.

They're not in over their head against anyone in the SJS sans possibly Folsom. But 95% of the section is in that same boat.

CC is a very good D3 program, but will never win a D2 title with that offense. Del Oro flew to the football. Booker is a great back, but imagine how good he could he could be in a spread offense! CC got away with it in their league, but were not tested physically week after week. They were in over their head. Just watched the game again tonight on NFHS. My humble opinion.

CC is a very good D3 program, but will never win a D2 title with that offense

Strange to use an absolute considering that they were just involved in a very closely contested game with a chance to move on to the Finals. Not to mention they were playing w/o their #1 QB.

CC was as good as any of the semifinalists, who all appear to be pretty equal. Just because they didn't win doesn't mean they can't ever. That's just a flat out silly thing to say.

Reactions: FelineBad
Oh, and let's be real, Del Oro is not s great team.

Sure, you be real too by admitting that they're playing pretty well right now when it counts the most. Much better than at any other point during the season.

Besides, I don't think anyone was touting them as a great team anyway. So it's a bit confusing why you'd even make that comment. Did you lose a bet or something??

No bets lost! Del Oro offense is improved. Defense against run only teams is very good. Del Oro will beat GB. GB QB had a good game vs DO last time, but nothing since. CC cannot compete at a high level running a 1980's offense, period. Booker is all they had. Not hard to key that. Still, Del Oro is not as good as they have been. I will say their coaches have adjusted for the better.

Hmm. Since CC beat St. Mary's, and Oakdale and Del Oro beat CC, and Folsom had an easier effort beating Oak Ridge, St. Mary's gotta be like 3-4 TD underdogs vs Folsom. Right?

Well, the QB that beat St. Mary's did start and play tonight. He was pretty mobile and could throw and run, didn't look hurt at all. He was also the same QB who played and beat Rocklin last week.

CC is a very good D3 program, but will never win a D2 title with that offense. Del Oro flew to the football. Booker is a great back, but imagine how good he could he could be in a spread offense! CC got away with it in their league, but were not tested physically week after week. They were in over their head. Just watched the game again tonight on NFHS. My humble opinion.

WOW. Was DO in over their head when Rocklin beat them 23-12 or when Folsom beat them 55-10, or when Granit Bay and Oakridge beat them. Maybe DO cant play with the big boys. Maybe DO needs to be thankful that CC had a bad game tonight. It's high school football...:CC beat Rocklin, and Rocklin beat DO. CC also beat St Mary's 20-7. DO couldn't even win a game in the SFL against any of the top SFL teams. Maybe they need to be in a D3 league.

Thunder, I ALWAYS enjoy publics beating privates. Just a weakness I have.

I got no problem with that at all. I suppose I probably fall into that category for the most part too -- especially considering that the Sac area is overwhelmingly publics.

But you're wrong on Central Catholic and their offense. Hell, Del Oro has won how many D2 titles running a similar offensive system? If you've seen CC over the years, they typically have a QB that can sling it when they need to.

WOW. Was DO in over their head when Rocklin beat them 23-12 or when Folsom beat them 55-10, or when Granit Bay and Oakridge beat them. Maybe DO cant play with the big boys. Maybe DO needs to be thankful that CC had a bad game tonight. It's high school football...:CC beat Rocklin, and Rocklin beat DO. CC also beat St Mary's 20-7. DO couldn't even win a game in the SFL against any of the top SFL teams. Maybe they need to be in a D3 league.
Point well taken, and yes, DO should be D3

I got no problem with that at all. I suppose I probably fall into that category for the most part too -- especially considering that the Sac area is overwhelmingly publics.

But you're wrong on Central Catholic and their offense. Hell, Del Oro has won how many D2 titles running a similar offensive system? If you've seen CC over the years, they typically have a QB that can sling it when they need to.
Point well taken!

Agree with this

Are you saying that DO won by sheer luck?

I believe CC is a better team. CC has proven themselves. They beat a very good St Mary's team who is now going to play in a section chsmpionship against Folsom. DO couldn't win a game against any of the top SFL teams. It's high school football and sometimes you have good games and bad games. Just look at Jesuit. They lost to Folsom pretty badly earlier in the season 55-9, and lost Friday to Folsom only by 2 td's on Friday and held Folsom to only 4 td's. They played a way better game this time around. Like I said, it's high school football. CC made lots of mistakes and their QB held on to the ball way to long. Give credit to DO, they put the pressure on and played well and did what they needed to beat a very good, physical, athletic CC team.

If CC's Starting QB was playing, I believe they would have won. On another note, I'm pretty sure CC didn't have to win a semi-final, but only had to get to a semi-final to stay in D2.
There's always an IF on every QB's comfy Sat morning armchair. And I've been that IF too, ha ha. This one was a great HS football matchup with 2 power programs, i.e. history & '17 SOS. CC won the 1st half, and D.O. did what they do this time of year. They make solid game time adjustments, and players rise up and answer the call for each other. The other thing I have seen now with this team - and here's the analogy - CC's knife was sharper, more expensive, and a little bigger. D.O. brought a sharp swiss army knife, and the coach's have begun using all the blades, and it worked in a very big road win on grass. If the Golden Eagles get past Granite Bay, don't they then move up to Div 1 for SJS playoffs next year? 1st things 1st, have to win that 12th SJS championship.

Last edited:
There's always an IF on every QB's comfy Sat morning armchair. And I've been that IF too, ha ha. This one was a great HS football matchup with 2 power programs, i.e. history & '17 SOS. CC won the 1st half, and D.O. did what they do this time of year. They make solid game time adjustments, and players rise up and answer the call for each other. The other thing I have seen now with this team - and here's the analogy - CC's knife was sharper, more expensive, and a little bigger. D.O. brought a sharp swiss army knife, and the coach's have begun using all the blades, and it worked in a very big road win on grass. If the Golden Eagles get past Granite Bay, don't they then move up to Div 1 for SJS playoffs next year? 1st things 1st, have to win that 12th SJS championship.
DOFDB Great analysis!

If CC's Starting QB was playing, I believe they would have won.

CC has used three different QB's this year. Azevado, Jackson, & Barton. Azevedo has played the most. He beat St. Mary's and Rocklin and had the most playing time during the year. That is the guy DO played against.

The sophomore Barton wasn't going to make any difference...he doesn't run and is only an average passer. The other sophomore Jackson hasn't played since the 4th game of the season.

How about just acknowledging DO outplayed CC because they played physical swarming defense. CC probably hadn't seen a tough D like that except against St. Mary's and Oakdale. Football is a tough game when the other team scouts you well and an easy game when you know what the other team is going to do.

Saying the starter didn't play and was the reason CC lost, is lame and not really true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT