ADVERTISEMENT

Equity move is working

Colonel Henry, sir. Did you happen to watch the D2 girls "Championship" between Bonita Vista High (Chula Vista) and Central (Fresno)?

For either of these schools to claim a 'CHAMPIONSHIP' of anything is well, pathetic. Two horrible teams with absolute no talent, no coaching, no nothing. The only thing this competitive equity do is ensure that schools with absolute no business playing for any titles get to do so.

I'm sorry. The system is horrendous and ensures that not only mediocrity rules, but rather than a school of whatever size it happens to be can win the Championship of schools ranked between 141 and 172. Do the math for yourself.

Reactions: CoachRandal
The Bay Area Basketball Coaches Association was concerned that the NCS was considering going to a straight competitive equity model. We were given a couple minutes for public comment at the start of the NCS SAC meeting today. I have included below an email we circulated to our members with our position on this issue.

• Bay Area Basketball Coaches Association (BABCA) Coaches,

Those of you who are NCS members should be aware that the NCS has put forth a proposal to go to a Competitive Equity (CE) System for Basketball and other sports starting in 2024 in the NCS. There have also been some other proposals for tweaks to the existing system. You can read all the proposals by going to the link below. These proposals will be presented to the NCS Sports Advisory Committee on Monday March 13th.

CIF-North Coast Section (cifncs.org)

These proposals and the switch to CE in particular would dramatically impact what we do as coaches and the season outcomes for our student athletes. We need to have input in this process for the good of our student athletes. The BABCA executive committee has already reviewed the proposals and solicited input from many of our members, both boys' and girls' coaches. Based on this initial feedback, which has been unanimous, BABCA has concluded that the proposed CE model would be a bad outcome for NCS basketball and our student athletes. We are now broadening our outreach to membership to seek additional input and support. We welcome any feedback you may have regardless of whether you are in agreement with the preliminary opinion outlined below.

We will be sending an email to Pat Cruikshank requesting that BABCA be allowed to have a representative on 3/13 to present our opinion on the proposals and also present the "CCS Model" alternative explained below.

We have now all lived with CE at the State level since 2018 and learned about its shortcomings. BABCA thinks the proposal to go to CE in the NCS is bad for the following reasons:

- CE punishes success and rewards failure/mediocrity. We as coaches are using athletics as a way to teach our student athletes to pursue excellence via hard work and teamwork. With CE teams that over-achieve get moved up and are likely to lose in the first round. Teams that under-achieve are moved down and have a good chance to play for a "championship". These outcomes are teaching our student athletes the wrong lessons.
    - CE is the "Peter Principle" on steroids. Striving teams are moved up to a level where they will fail, while underachievers are demoted to a level where they "succeed", if you want to call it that.
    - In the State tournament CE has turned what used to be a great event for all size schools into one Championship and a series of consolation tournaments like the NIT and CBIT that fewer people care about. As a result fan interest and attendance has fallen off to indifference at the lower levels. Being a League Champion is now a more meaningful accomplishment than winning a State consolation tournament, many of which have been won by teams that came in 3rd or 4th place in their league. Look at the great attendance at League Championships vs NorCal games and it tells the story.
    - The old enrollment base system (pre-2016) funneled the best teams to the State Championship wknd. All the teams playing that wknd were great. That is no longer the case. In CE half of the best teams (that probably worked the hardest) have their seasons ended in the first round and then watch inferior teams continue to play.
    - The CE system is especially cruel to small enrollment schools. How good a team is in the Maxpreps rankings is correlated to its enrollment yet CE is ignoring enrollment. We have done regression analyses showing enrollment is still the best predictor of maxpreps rankings. Small schools are in a "lose lose" situation in that they are either going to be moved up to play bigger schools or bigger schools are going to be moved down.
    - A big part of the problem is too many teams qualify for the section play-offs to begin with including many teams with losing records. Then these teams expect to go to NorCals with a chance to win. Excellence should be rewarded and celebrated not equity/mediocrity. The CE model combined with easy entry qualification standards for section playoffs is leading to mediocrity being rewarded excessively.
    - NCS should want its best teams to represent it in NorCals and CE insures that the majority of its best teams have their seasons ended in the NCS playoffs
    - A change to CE would destroy the continuity of the history of the NCS and its past champions.
    - The NCS CE proposal would keep the previously implemented CE "Point System". The Point System has resulted in a mosh pit of the best teams in D1 and D2 while the lower divisions have gotten weaker and weaker. The Point System also punishes teams for their predecessors' success which is not fair to the current team.
    - It is overkill to combine the CE Point System and a CE bracket system which is what the NCS is now proposing. At a minimum they should get rid of the Point System if they go CE or vice versa.

"CCS Model" Alternative

The CCS has been using a model that is enrollment based (with no CE Point System) combined with an Open Division. They also use staggered brackets to eliminate first round blowouts. The open teams get NorCal bids as well as the finalists in the enrollment division brackets. This CCS Model seems to be working great for the teams in the CCS. They all seem to really like it with no complaints unlike the current NCS CE Point system. The NCS should copy the CCS Model which has now been tested and proven to be very successful with the following benefits:

- Power teams are rewarded for their success with an invite to the CCS open where they play other power teams and get an automatic bid to NorCals. This system ensures the CCS has its best teams representing it in NorCals.
    - Very good teams stay in their enrollment division and compete for historically significant CCS Championships. With the power teams removed they have a great chance to win and get rewarded with a NorCal bid if they make the finals. Note since the CCS went to its Open System (combined with straight enrollment divisions) they have generated a lot of new CCS Champions and NorCal qualifiers, most of which are public schools. Note in the proposed NCS CE model these same teams would be moved up and lose in first round.
    - Mediocre teams get a competitive game or two given the brackets are staggered to avoid the 1 vs. 16 and 2 vs. 15 blowouts. This is a just outcome. If they want to advance further they will need to improve next season which is a great educational outcome. This is how a fair system should work. In the NCS CE model they might end up NCS "Champions" in spite of only coming in 3rd or 4th place in their league against peers who got moved up and lost in the first round.

As coaches we have a lot of passion and commitment to what we do. As a result BABCA wants to hear your input so we can pass it along to the NCS Sports Advisory Committee. Feel free to respond to this email or call any of us directly. Please feel free to forward this email to any other coaches from your league who are not on our BABCA distribution list.

Respectfully,

Bay Area Basketball Coaches Association

Randy Bessolo
    University HS
    415 418 4568

Chris Lavdiotis
    Miramonte HS
    510 610 3430

Ben Spencer
    Piedmont HS
    860 428 7040

The Bay Area Basketball Coaches Association was concerned that the NCS was considering going to a straight competitive equity model. We were given a couple minutes for public comment at the start of the NCS SAC meeting today. I have included below an email we circulated to our members with our position on this issue.

PERFECT LETTER. As I have personally coached in the CCS system, I absolutely agree that it works very well. At Burlingame, we were the #2 seed in Open Division and although we failed to win our opening game, it was a great experience. I am in full agreement that going to the CE system for NCS would be a complete disaster.

There is no great solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. I too am a proponent of public schools but really the "problem" that you are getting at is that the private schools bring in the best players, depriving public schools of talent. That isn't ever gonna change and is only becoming more prevalent it seems. Public schools have two options, coach up the players they got (and maybe set up a youth development program) and compete at the highest level they can, or whine that the private schools are stealing their players and give up and not be good at anything. But yeah, if I am watching a game between a private school and a public school I am pulling for public 100 % of the time

I am mostly against CE in the NCS for the reason that we should want to send our best teams to NorCals and our lower division teams would get smashed if we went full CE. But i have to disagree with the statement that teams will automatically fail when moved up levels and think their would be a lot of value to being challenged in the short term, but I think long term is where the issue comes in because if a team has a long period of success and then changes coaches or goes through a little rough patch, it could be a few relegations before that team is able to find success again.

This is a tough topic to really type up on a message board. My thoughts are that kids don’t get taught the beauty of basketball when they are young and by the time they get to high school it’s tough to catch up. Why? There’s so much pressing and fast breaking that really only the most athletic/aggressive kids are going to thrive.

Especially on the girls side. I’ve seen some freshmen high school teams comprised of a few girls that can play but many that are out there because the team needed players. When the game starts the opponent presses gets the turnovers and just like that it’s 18-3 at the end of one. But hey they are a press & fast break team so they will keep it up. If the weaker team doesn’t like it they can get in the gym the next day and work on their game. Or they can think it sucks to play basketball and never bother to move on to jv.

Don’t get me wrong it’s fun to watch the fast break but do games really need to end up 60+ to 11 and the starters firing three pointers and playing well into the 4th quarter?

Reactions: ClayK
This is a tough topic to really type up on a message board. My thoughts are that kids don’t get taught the beauty of basketball when they are young and by the time they get to high school it’s tough to catch up. Why? There’s so much pressing and fast breaking that really only the most athletic/aggressive kids are going to thrive.

Especially on the girls side. I’ve seen some freshmen high school teams comprised of a few girls that can play but many that are out there because the team needed players. When the game starts the opponent presses gets the turnovers and just like that it’s 18-3 at the end of one. But hey they are a press & fast break team so they will keep it up. If the weaker team doesn’t like it they can get in the gym the next day and work on their game. Or they can think it sucks to play basketball and never bother to move on to jv.

Don’t get me wrong it’s fun to watch the fast break but do games really need to end up 60+ to 11 and the starters firing three pointers and playing well into the 4th quarter?
many varsity teams end up that way as well. all you need is 2 girls that can dribble and 1 girl who can shoot. then press press press... doesnt need great coaching

so the old system allowed small schools to dominate lower division. they change it and now people still are upset.
unbelievable.

so the old system allowed small schools to dominate lower division. they change it and now people still are upset.
unbelievable.
I think you are confusing a healthy debate on whether or not Equity is working with being upset. Just because people are weighing in on whether or not it is working doesn’t mean they are upset or complaining.

If CE works, then teams should be FIGHTING to get to Open and D1, not avoiding it. Let’s use the NCAA for reference. Not one NCAA school would choose to be the #1 seed in the NIT/WNIT over being the 68 seed for March Madness. But in CIF, some schools are happy to drop down a few divisions. Does a PAC-12 school get to drop down to the D2 tournament because they’ve been subpar in the PAC-12 for a couple years? No. They go home.

We have to look at the factors of what makes March Madness work and what doesn’t work for competitive equity. How do you shift the mindset? But I think you start by not letting teams drop down. There were teams with their worst team in 5 years in our section that won section championships this year because they were dropped down to D4/D5. I personally don’t think this is right.
I got called an a$$hat elitist for this in another thread, but I agree with this sentiment. And if you just have ONE state champion, everyone, even the school with a once in a lifetime season, would welcome the challenge of the open.

Call everything else 'division championships'.... but only crown one state champion. That would change the mindset.

Actually, I don't think it would have that much impact. As a coach, you have to look out for your players and your program, and getting blasted by Mitty in the first round just to be "challenged" does nothing for you.

The reality is that only a very few schools, out of 1,400, have any chance to compete with the top five or six teams in the state. Even if you're in the third tier, say, 20 to 35 in the state, your only chance of beating Sierra Canyon is if they get lost on the way to the game. Talent rules ...

So do I want to take my team -- players and parents -- and play at the highest level and lose? Maybe by a lot? And end the season with a 25-point loss?

Or do I want to reward my team with a chance to finish off a good season with some competitive games that might result in a trip to GoldenOne and a chance to play on the same court Steph Curry does?

And what is better for the school and the program?

Now sure, if I have an elite team with multiple D-1 kids -- at least one a P5 -- put me in the Open. But if I have a nice high school team, with a low D1, a couple D2s and a couple good athletes, the reality is I can't compete with Etiwanda, no matter what my enrollment.

Small schools SHOULD typically dominate the lower divisions; that’s why they are there, and why they are called the LOWER divisions.

Put it this way: Should an MLB team with no recent winning record and a small budget, such as the A’s, be allowed to play for the Midwest League and take the title just because they are small-budget?

It's a tough scenario but I do like the thought of not going down and ruining it for the lower caliber schools. Either go up to the Open division or maybe even D1 or stay in your division. No going down. I wonder how that would look

Of course, part of the difficulty in this, is the fact sections don’t play by the same rules in the first place.

For example, if a section nominates no small schools for the Regionals, the “worst” larger school they nominated gets placed in D5, no matter what division they mave have played in at the section tournament.

Maybe this is where the CIF needs to work at it…. Get all the sections to play by the same rules, or at least close to it…

Reactions: cptmycpa
The CIF can't even get the sections to agree on a start date for practice. The Southern Section, among others, can start practicing in mid-August. One year I looked, and Troy High School had had 38 practices before NCS teams were even allowed to have their first.

And as mentioned, the enrollment dividing lines are drawn to equalize the number of teams in each division in each section. So with all those big schools in SoCal, the D-1 line might be 2,400, while in NCS, the D-1 line might be 2,000. And not to mention that schools will manipulate their enrollment numbers to stay in a lower division.

On reviewing NCS proposal from yesterday I actually liked the idea of basically just ranking teams by their RPI for NCS playoffs. With that plan though I would get rid of the open division and just call the top division platinum, the next one gold, the next silver, and lastly a bronze. Then keep another division open for the really really low enrollment schools who choose not to participate in that system.

Not totally sure how to choose NorCal teams out of that but don't think it would be too complicated to come up with a system that is some combination of winning your division and RPI and your base division.

I get the whole argument of the 16 seed in platinum being one and done and potentially losing by a lot whereas the 1 seed in gold plays on but I am sure a losers bracket could be created and somehow used to choose which teams go to NorCals.

Its an interesting debate and one that will live on forever I am sure since someone will always be unhappy

I don't care what system they go with , I just wish it was objective and transparent. I hate that it's a secret committee that answers to no one. If the CIF wants to back to enrollment based divisions, then at least you know what you're dealing with. If you're going to remain with subjective, power Equity seeding, then create a formula and publish it. Ex.: 20% SOS, 15% MaxPrpes rankings, 20% section finishes, 10% size of school, etc. While not perfect, at least you'd know how the placement in divisions were decided.

Small schools SHOULD typically dominate the lower divisions; that’s why they are there, and why they are called the LOWER divisions.

Put it this way: Should an MLB team with no recent winning record and a small budget, such as the A’s, be allowed to play for the Midwest League and take the title just because they are small-budget?
they're actually called lower divisions because they were traditionally lower enrollment size vs. their larger D1 counterparts, not causer they are lower caliber.

Actually, I don't think it would have that much impact. As a coach, you have to look out for your players and your program, and getting blasted by Mitty in the first round just to be "challenged" does nothing for you.

The reality is that only a very few schools, out of 1,400, have any chance to compete with the top five or six teams in the state. Even if you're in the third tier, say, 20 to 35 in the state, your only chance of beating Sierra Canyon is if they get lost on the way to the game. Talent rules ...

So do I want to take my team -- players and parents -- and play at the highest level and lose? Maybe by a lot? And end the season with a 25-point loss?

Or do I want to reward my team with a chance to finish off a good season with some competitive games that might result in a trip to GoldenOne and a chance to play on the same court Steph Curry does?

Now sure, if I have an elite team with multiple D-1 kids -- at least one a P5 -- put me in the Open. But if I have a nice high school team, with a low D1, a couple D2s and a couple good athletes, the reality is I can't compete with Etiwanda, no matter what my enrollment.
For 98% of schools 1 low D1, 2 D2s and a couple of athletes to fill out a roster would be an unbelievable HS team and most likely 1 of the best teams in that schools history but throw that team vs an EVERY year Mitty team and it gets running clocked.

I thought the entire point of the OPEN was to pull the Mittys, Sierra Canyons , SMS, Etiwandas etc of the world out and put them in their own separate bracket of big girl ball.

So i dont understand why it needed to be taken further and CE for the rest of the state to be put into play. I mean this is sports/competition and there are going to be winners and losers...its the nature of the beast.

Go back to enrollment divisions.
8 team OPEN for SJS and NCS
Pulling the 8 best out should be enough to level the playing field in rest of the divisions.

Last edited:
For 98% of schools 1 low D1, 2 D2s and a couple of athletes to fill out a roster would be an unbelievable HS team and most likely 1 of the best teams in that schools history but throw that team vs an EVERY year Mitty team and it gets running clocked.

I thought the entire point of the OPEN was to pull the Mittys, Sierra Canyons , SMS, Etiwandas etc of the world out and put them in their own separate bracket of big girl ball.

So i dont understand why it needed to be taken further and CE for the rest of the state to be put into play. I mean this is sports/competition and there are going to be winners and losers...its the nature of the beast.

Go back to enrollment divisions.
8 team OPEN for SJS and NCS
Pulling the 8 best out should be enough to level the playing field in rest of the divisions.
Totally agree. Look at university Hs on the boys side. Absolutely screwed by CE.

Reactions: CoachRandal
The CIF can't even get the sections to agree on a start date for practice. The Southern Section, among others, can start practicing in mid-August. One year I looked, and Troy High School had had 38 practices before NCS teams were even allowed to have their first.

And as mentioned, the enrollment dividing lines are drawn to equalize the number of teams in each division in each section. So with all those big schools in SoCal, the D-1 line might be 2,400, while in NCS, the D-1 line might be 2,000. And not to mention that schools will manipulate their enrollment numbers to stay in a lower division.
The gigantic Southern Section is a huge state within a state. They are the outsized tail that wags the dog.

why curry? he doesnt play for the kings

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT