ADVERTISEMENT

Final CIF State Bowl Tally - NorCal 10, SoCal 4

SearsPoints

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Good showing this year for Northern California schools in the State Bowl games winning 10 out of the 14 games.

OPEN DIVISION
Mater Dei (13-2) def. De La Salle (12-1) Final: 35-21

DIVISION 1–AA
Folsom (14-1) def. Cathedral Catholic (12-2) Final: 21-14 OT

DIVISION 1–A
Liberty, Brentwood (13-1) def. Sierra Canyon (12-4) Final: 19-17

DIVISION 2–AA
Grace Brethren (14-2) def. Del Oro (13-2) Final: 21-14

DIVISION 2–A
Lawndale (14-2) def. San Joaquin Memorial (14-1) Final: 20-12

DIVISION 3–AA
Menlo-Atherton (13-2) def. Lincoln, San Diego (11-5) Final: 21-7

DIVISION 3–A
Wilcox (14-1) def. Kaiser (14-2) Final: 41-27

DIVISION 4–AA
Pleasant Valley (10-3) def. Central Valley Christian (12-3) Final: 43-14

DIVISION 4–A
McClymonds (12-2) def. Garfield (13-2) Final: 32-6

DIVISION 5–AA
Rio Linda (13-2) def. San Gorgonio (12-4) Final: 38-35

DIVISION 5-A
San Diego (12-2) def. Colfax (13-1) Final: 21-10

DIVISION 6–AA
Hilmar (13-2) def. Strathmore (13-2) Final: 49-0

DIVISION 6-A
Lincoln, San Francisco (13-0) def. Orange Glen (10-4) Final: 24-13

DIVISION 7-AA
Denair (12-1) def. Santee (10-2) Final: 42-14

14 state "champions". Lol.

The championship that matters is the open. Hopefully DLS can win it for us next year.

Reactions: coachlittle
Great showing from NorCal - This 10-4 year also shifts the overall balance to NorCal's favor - 48-46 Norcal since the start of the North/South Bowl series in 2006.

Reactions: lt1488
What surprises me is the fact that all the blowout wins were by the teams from NorCal. The NorCal schools were in every game to the end. This speaks volumes in the big scheme of how dominate NorCal prep football was this year. Congrats to all the NorCal teams even those that lost because they all represented us very well and earned the respect from SoCal opponents in the process.

Does anyone know the count on how many privates and how many publics were in the SBG’s this year? 5 of 8 private’s were in the top four divisions but after that I struggle.

I’m embarrassed to note that I am not familiar with whether a few of the SoCal schools are private or public.

Just thought it would be interesting.

Last edited:
14 state "champions". Lol.

The championship that matters is the open. Hopefully DLS can win it for us next year.

Seriously? I'm so sick and tired of hearing the Open is the only one that matters. So you don't think Hilmar deserves a chance at a State Championship? A small country town doesn't deserve any recognition for having a great football team? There are almost 1,100 schools in this state, get real.

Only 2 of the 14 bowls were won by Privates and one was a requirement since both MD & DLS were Privates; So by far the Publics were the dominant force. I may be wrong in my quick review, but I think there were 8 Privates in the SBG games.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Seriously? I'm so sick and tired of hearing the Open is the only one that matters. So you don't think Hilmar deserves a chance at a State Championship? A small country town doesn't deserve any recognition for having a great football team? There are almost 1,100 schools in this state, get real.
Yeah, this mentality is warped by the slow uptake a fair statewide playoff system. But any sane person realizes that one shoe doesn't fit every person.

I mean it’s nice but you realize that in its present set up NorCal should win the vast majority of SBG every year.

Reactions: nascar624
I mean it’s nice but you realize that in its present set up NorCal should win the vast majority of SBG every year.

Seems like it. I’m not sure how the southern region moves teams through the process but given we have that special rule up here were teams that lose sections can advance and the open division is essentially uncontested, we seem to stack up better.

I don’t know enough about how CIF does things to be able to comment further but it seems most of our best teams advance and that’s not the case down south.

Seems like it. I’m not sure how the southern region moves teams through the process but given we have that special rule up here were teams that lose sections can advance and the open division is essentially uncontested, we seem to stack up better.

I don’t know enough about how CIF does things to be able to comment further but it seems most of our best teams advance and that’s not the case down south.

It’s just a matter of logistics.So happens that all the best SS teams play in the same section so they are placed in the same bracket.The north has no such luxury so their better teams will advance especially with the losers move on rule.Thankfully that will all end next year

Holy crap, i thought Liberty lost to DLS in their playoff game? Well if that be the case, lets get Bosco Centennial MV and the rest into the Dance.

Holy crap, i thought Liberty lost to DLS in their playoff game? Well if that be the case, lets get Bosco Centennial MV and the rest into the Dance.
And Garfield lost to Narbonne - yet they moved on only to lose to a tiny Oakland school in the final SBG game. There is no doubt that SoCal has the majority of the top 50 teams - and being paired mano a mano, SoCal would win almost every game.

Last edited:
Reactions: djgaucho
It’s just a matter of logistics.So happens that all the best SS teams play in the same section so they are placed in the same bracket.The north has no such luxury so their better teams will advance especially with the losers move on rule.Thankfully that will all end next year
Your statement is misleading... 7 of the 10 NorCal SBG wins came from sections that have no runner up allowances.

Your statement is misleading... 7 of the 10 NorCal SBG wins came from sections that have no runner up allowances.

That’s 3 teams that pushed NorCal teams down into a lower division while sending NorCal better teams to compete.Just take away Liberty and Wilcox everyone below them has to move up....now how well do those 7 sections do ?

Last edited:
Congratulations to all the NorCal Teams! Well Earned & Deserved! I hope my Vacaville Bulldogs will get one soon! Go Get More NorCal Teams!

So basically what you're saying in a round about way is the only teams in Cali that matters are the private schools. Gotcha!

If the private schools have the best teams in a given year, it is what it is. There should be only one state champion.

They do not "deserve" anything. If they want to be regarded as the state champion this year they should have competed in the open and beat DLS and than beat MD. That program knows they are not the best team in northern california much less the state.

Anything beyond the Open Championship is a CIF money grab.

If the private schools have the best teams in a given year, it is what it is. There should be only one state champion... Anything beyond the Open Championship is a CIF money grab.
So we should have only one division for all the state of California? That's what we must have to define on the field THE ONE state champion. We might get done with the CA football season before the end of the school year - maybe.

Reactions: awood1
If you look at CalPreps and break down the top 20 CA teams, you have 14 from South, 5 from North and 1 from Fresno (not sure where to count them even thought this year they were in North). State Bowl Champions are not State Champions - with perhaps the exception being the winner of the Open. Looking at who won/lost in Bowl games is not reflective of who has the better programs in North vs South.

If the private schools have the best teams in a given year, it is what it is. There should be only one state champion.

They do not "deserve" anything. If they want to be regarded as the state champion this year they should have competed in the open and beat DLS and than beat MD. That program knows they are not the best team in northern california much less the state.

Wow so you dont care about any small town football team just the big dogs...so a rural team like colfax who has continued to excel despite dwindling enrollmenr should compete with a md or dls or folsom simply because only one state champion should be crowned..cold hearted...im a folsom guy and i love the fact that other local teams or section teams can win a state championship on their size division..it allows these student athletes a chance to shine in a way they could not if they had to compete with md or sjb or dls folsom you name it..they would lose 100 to 0 every time...they are not same size, same money, same opportunities as rhese bigger schools...they deserve to compete with their equal peers for a championship...that kind of comment should get you banned from this post...i dont believe in censorship but i believe in a business having the right to refuse service to idiotic people

True, there is only one open division state champion, but there are state champions at multiple divisions. Complex concept, but think really, really hard.

So, by this logic, Colfax, Aptos, and East Nicolaus weren't really section champs because they didn't compete in the highest division.

Let's take that a little further... no JV or freshman team actually won league titles either, since the only real champion is whoever won in varsity.

I'm so sick of the arrogance and elitism of some of the mentality of this site. NO ONE WHO IS IN CHARGE OF ANYTHING WORTHWHILE IN SPORTS THINKS LIKE YOU!!! Whoever wins D-III in college football is still a national champion. Whoever wins D-X in the Southern Section is still a section champion.

Even if you were right (which you aren't), you could never actually have a playoff system to make it happen because there are too many freakin' schools.

To anyone who thinks that only the top divisions winners are champions, you're an idiot.

Last edited:
Reactions: pantera-cat
So, by this logic, Colfax, Aptos, and East Nicolaus weren't really section champs because they didn't compete in the highest division.

Let's take that a little further... no JV or freshman team actually won league titles either, since the only real champion is whoever won in varsity.

I'm so sick of the arrogance and elitism of some of the mentality of this site. NO ONE WHO IS IN CHARGE OF ANYTHING WORTHWHILE IN SPORTS THINKS LIKE YOU!!! Whoever wins D-III in college football is still a national champion. Whoever wins D-X in the Southern Section is still a section champion.

Even if you were right (which you aren't), you could never actually have a playoff system to make it happen because there are too many freakin' schools.

To anyone who thinks that only the top divisions winners are champions, you're an idiot.
While I agree that there is only one true state champion. I also agree that yes the rest are section state champs. The same in college. Who ever wins tonight will be called national champions. The rest will be divisional champs. In California only the open champ would ever be considered for the MNC. And they do have somewhat of a play off system in place where supposedly any team in California can play in the open. Even Delta high in Clarksburg could if they schedule the right teams and win.

How many state champions does Texas and Florida have in high school? So many teams you must have multiple divisions and multiple champions. Ultimately everybody knows OPEN winner is best team in the state. Granted California system could be better but you will always have multiple "champions"

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT