ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom (13-1) vs Cathedral (12-1) in D1–AA State Bowl

Folsom didn't win by the spread most thought they would and none of their titles have come in Open, but this is the fourth state title in nine years.

No matter how this team was built or how they do it, this era of Folsom football is one of the best to come through NorCal.

Personally, I think that is the thought of the night

Folsom didn't win by the spread most thought they would and none of their titles have come in Open, but this is the fourth state title in nine years.

No matter how this team was built or how they do it, this era of Folsom football is one of the best to come through NorCal.

Exactly, they are fantastic at their level.

My thought of the night is how many state titles do they have if they hadn’t begged out of the open regional game?
I mean congrats to them on their success that they engineered from a lack of intestinal fortitude

@Truthhertz
You ever re-read your posts before you hit “POST”? You ever get tired of all your back-handed jabs at Folsom? Was my post really that bad you just had to jump on and criticize it? And hey, don’t forget to throw in an unnecessary dig at Folsom towards the end. Predictable to say the least. This site got really old the last few weeks on both sides. Most of us just want to have a FB conversation. Too bad so many need to get their ‘shots’ in.

Enjoy the offseason.

If their plan is to dodge a real so cal power and wait to see what team emerges from San Diego they are nailing it!! Watching our clear cut 2nd best team struggle against a team like cathedral isn’t a good look for nor cal football. This game could be an indication to why folsom doesn’t schedule top teams. Why schedule challenges when you can run the table and just play for a “state title”. In all honesty I don’t think folsom even wants to attempt to compete in the open

they only had six possessions in regulation!) but only scored 2 TDs...couldn’t finish.

Wow. I didn't realize that. That's what you have to do to a team like that. And they made it work. They were a near catch away from being in position to win. Props to them.

I'd love to have seen what would have happened if the CC WR managed to hang on to the ball the last play (I think the DB got a hand on the ball). I'll bet the Dons would have went for 2 and the outright win. What a tense play that would have been.

Now we can put to bed the talk of this Folsom team being the best in SJS or even Folsom history. As I said in the other thread, Folsom's 2014 team was better all-around and on the lines. And Folsom's 2010 team beat better opponents in the Section and SBG w/o the same struggle.

My thought of the night is how many state titles do they have if they hadn’t begged out of the open regional game?
I mean congrats to them on their success that they engineered from a lack of intestinal fortitude

I agree. They are still a very, very good program, but never the best in the State. The only shot they might have had at an Open title evaporated when they didn't schedule up in 2014. Not saying they would have won or even played in it, just that it was their best shot at it considering their line play, QB and defense. But in no other year would they have won Open.

Under the original 5 bowl system, they may have been able to play in and win a D2 title as the 2010 team did. Who knows. But there's no denying that they've benefited from the expansion to 13 games and no Regional Open.

Last edited:
Wow. I didn't realize that. That's what you have to do to a team like that. And they made it work. They were a near catch away from being in position to win. Props to them.

I'd love to have seen what would have happened if the CC WR managed to hang on to the ball the last play (I think the DB got a hand on the ball). I'll bet the Dons would have went for 2 and the outright win. What a tense play that would have been.

Now we can put to bed the talk of this Folsom team being the best in SJS or even Folsom history. As I said in the other thread, Folsom's 2014 team was better all-around and on the lines. And Folsom's 2010 team beat better opponents in the Section and SBG w/o the same struggle.

I agree but I think 2010 was their best team and they beat grant high is still the highest rated team folsom has ever beat. But it’s easy to say the 2014 team was the bet because they didn’t reallly beat anybody we can assume they’d do better against dls than 2013 but til this day that doesn’t look possible
This is suppose to be folsom best offensive team ever and their most athletic roster. Dls might win by 24 next year. I think if dls qb gains some size they’ll have a special offense

You ever re-read your posts before you hit “POST”? You ever get tired of all your back-handed jabs at Folsom? Was my post really that bad you just had to jump on and criticize it? And hey, don’t forget to throw in an unnecessary dig at Folsom towards the end. Predictable to say the least. This site got really old the last few weeks on both sides. Most of us just want to have a FB conversation. Too bad so many need to get their ‘shots’ in.

Somebody overly sensitive here tonight? I simply pointed out this style of defense is nothing new its common place in football. As for back handed jab at Folsom? Again chuck n duck when referring to this type or style of football dates back to Buddy Ryan not me. If I wanted to jab at Folsom there is plenty of meat on that bone, especially after tonight. I gave both teams credit here for a great game earlier guess you missed it in your blind rage toward my response to your post.

I agree. They are still a very,very good program, but never the best in the State. The only shot they might have had at an Open title evaporated when they didn't schedule up in 2014. Not saying they would have won or even played in it, just that it was their best shot at it considering their line play, QB and defense. But in no other year would that have won Open.

Under the original 5 bowl system, they may have been able to play in and win a D2 title as the 2010 team did. Who knows. But there's no denying that they've benefited from the expansion to 13 games and no Regional Open.
I agree the 2014 team was special because of the physical play on both lines.Really liked that team and wish they would have played OOS

Folsom is who we thought they were.

They certainly didn't do themselves any favors the way they played tonight. Props to Cathedral for shortening the game and limiting possessions. As @Streak One said, that's not always an easy plan to execute but they did tonight. It nearly resulted in the upset win.

I will say, though, while I know the Folsom haters will pile on the close game (because they can't pile on a loss instead) and claim some sort of "I told you so victory parade", it does go both ways. I mean, someone could point out that SJB (who is worlds better than all but about 2-3 teams) struggled to beat JSerra by 7 points -- who in turn lost in the playoffs to the team Sammy constantly disrespects as 'Jokes' Christian (which shows that any team can struggle to beat an inferior opponent). But what good would that do? The excuses only run in one direction with that guy. Those with agendas only see what they want to see and pick at the scab. So I'll leave them to it.

As for me, I appreciated that Cathedral made it a game. I didn't expect it and it was a pleasant surprise. The 1st half I only followed half-heartedly and didn't finish the rest of it until the KINGS-WARRIORS game was over (boy did my KINGS choke!). But the 4th Q was fun to watch.

Last edited:
As for me, I appreciated that Cathedral made it a game. I didn't expect it and it was a pleasant surprise. The 1st half I only followed half-heartedly and didn't finish the rest of it until the KINGS-WARRIORS game was over (boy did my KINGS choke!). But the 4th Q was fun to watch.

I appreciate the good game as well. I must say I feel cheated by that last drop however. Not because I wanted CC to win I really didn’t care who won. I was more interested in seeing if they go for Two and the win right there or play on.

Congrats to Folsom.

Caught parts of the game and it was entertaining from what I saw. I predicted running clock, I was way off.

Reactions: coachlittle

My thought of the night is who is the San Diego Reporter who said CC would hold Folsom to 28??.... That dude is a Genius!!!...

Outstanding game by Both Team’s, they should be proud of themselves....

Congratulations to Folsom on Back to Back 1-AA Titles Those Kids had a great season and earned the right to be called the best 1-AA team of all time!...

And Kudos to Coach Richardson for showing restraint and not running up the score...... You all know I couldn’t resist....

They certainly didn't do themselves any favors the way they played tonight. Props to Cathedral for shortening the game and limiting possessions. As @Streak One said, that's not always an easy plan to execute but they did tonight. It nearly resulted in the upset win.

I will say, though, while I know the Folsom haters will pile on the close game (because they can't pile on a loss instead) and claim some sort of "I told you so victory parade", it does go both ways. I mean, someone could point out that SJB (who is worlds better than all but about 2-3 teams) struggled to beat JSerra by 7 points -- who in turn lost in the playoffs to the team Sammy constantly disrespects as 'Jokes' Christian (which shows that any team can struggle to beat an inferior opponent). But what good would that do? The excuses only run in one direction with that guy. Those with agendas only see what they want to see and pick at the scab. So I'll leave them to it.

Didn’t DLS have a game like tonight against a lesser opponent in Buchanan that they barely got by this year? Shit happens!

Reactions: feedback1
So is it fair to say that Cathedral Catholic is better than Liberty, Del Oro, Pittsburg and Central?

IDK, is it fair to say that Oaks Christian is better than the entire Trinity League (sans MD and SJB) on the strength of their win over JSerra?

And if so, then where does Folsom fit into the equation since they boat raced Chaminade by 36 (same as SJB) while Oaks only beat them 15??

Riddle me that Sam-man!

Cause Sammy daisy chain logic is starting to make it appear as if Folsom (or Cathedral) is a 3rd place team in the mighty Trinity!

Last edited:
Congrats to Folsom. They trailed the entire game but kept their poise and came back for the win.

True. But it was clear that they got a bit fortunate too. Despite Folsom's #27 possibly getting a hand on the ball, Cathedral's #1 came about as close to catching that ball as you can w/o actually catching it. He had it pinned to his body for 5 full steps before losing control of it.

Does CC go for 2 there? I think so. That was a near-miss.

IDK, is it fair to say that Oaks Christian is better than the entire Trinity League sans MD and SJB?

And if so, then where does Folsom fit into the equation since they boat raced Chaminade by 36 (same as SJB) while Oaks only beat them 15??

Riddle me that Sam-man!

Cause Sammy logic is starting to make it appear as if Folsom is a 3rd place team in the mighty Trinity!

Here you Go Again, The Folsom Spin-master Using Running up the score as a way to Prop up Folsom vs Oaks and Comparing Folsom to SJB based on the same MOV...

Folsom just Beat a 1-AA Team that held Folsom to 14 Points in Regulation and now they are in the conversation with Bosco?

Oaks beat JSerra, Who did Folsom Beat on the Field that was anywhere near JSerra?....

And a 2 TD Loss where they scored Zero Points doesn't count... :)

You are too much @ThunderRam , You are trying way to hard...

My Favorite quote of yours was "Central Put up 46 Points on Folsom because the Offense was Scoring so much, the Defense was "Gassed". ".... That certainly wasn't Folsom's issue tonight....

Great game by 2 great teams. Folsom back to back champions and 4th state title this decade. That seems to be an especially bitter pill for all of you Folsom haters (and there are a lot of you). Congrats to Folsom. Congrats to CC on a great game plan and execution.

Streak - I don't know how you moderate some of this ridiculous drivel. I don't know that I could read the constant pathetic whining and negativity every day. Life is just too short. But thanks for your posts. Mr Big and TR ditto.

Kudos re another Nor Cal win. The story of the gama is really Cathedral Catholic. What a game they played. Sure shows the strength of So Cal football.

Just think, DLS would be a two loss team if they played in the Trinity League (MD and SJB) and Folsom would be a 3-4 loss team. Doesn't seem fair.

Huge props to Cathedral Catholic for their game plan and not letting Folsom be Folsom.

After seeing them last year, I didn’t give them a chance in this game but maybe all those coaches allegedly banding together to scheme the Bulldogs really worked.

Either way, i have real soft spot for Cathedral Catholic, I found their fans and coaches to be super classy and very likable. They carry themselves the way you should and they travel well. That game film will be a treasure.

Congrats to both teams for what sounded like an excellent football game.

Reactions: concrete17
Huge props to Cathedral Catholic for their game plan and not letting Folsom be Folsom.

After seeing them last year, I didn’t give them a chance in this game but maybe all those coaches allegedly banding together to scheme the Bulldogs really worked.

Either way, i have real soft spot for Cathedral Catholic, I found their fans and coaches to be super classy and very likable. They carry themselves the way you should and they travel well. That game film will be a treasure.

Congrats to both teams for what sounded like an excellent football game.

First rate all the way around. I think everybody (including myself) underestimated how good CC was. One thing I know is there coach believed they would win that game. He wasn't happy with a "close" game. Great teams find a way to win close games though. Really impressive performance by Kaiden Bennett and Pierre Chadon on D.

Great win by Folsom! Congrats on another 1-AA State title! Glad to see that Cathedral Catholic stepped up and fought hard.

This Folsom team had incredible athletes on offense. IMO, the best in school history. They've cemented their legacy!

Nobody is saying that Folsom is a bad team. They are a very good team. Probably top 40-60 nationally, which as several of you have pointed out, of 10,000 hs teams is pretty darn good.

But they are not Elite.

Folsom is probably at the top of Tier 2 in California, but IMO there is a substantial gap between Tier 1 and Tier 2.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Pretty sure defensive game plan was keep everything in front of you and punish the ball. Pretty basic concept in all reality. When field is short play more man coverage and bring pressure make Bennett find open guy. No anti Folsom anything it’s a concept that’s been around as long as the chuck n duck offense Like Folsom runs.
Exactly. And I expect teams in NorCal to adopt the CC blueprint in the future. As I mentioned in regards to Central giving up 84 pts to Folsom. It was no fault of the kids to allow that many points but it was a terrible defensive game plan by the coaching staff. As you've stated, in the red zone bring more pressure and play cover-1 man coverage. Play receivers very aggressive when inside 10 yd line. Lastly, something tells me CC was preparing for Folsom all year long. They were too prepared from what I'm hearing. 6 possessions? Yeah, they've been preparing for Folsom all year long. Congrats to Folsom for another 1AA State championship title.

Folks are now saying they underestimated how good CC was. I personally didn't underestimate how good they were coming into this game, I doubted their game planning philosophy. One should never underestimate a school with a bunch of money and pride. They can make miracles happen.

Great game by 2 great teams. Folsom back to back champions and 4th state title this decade. That seems to be an especially bitter pill for all of you Folsom haters (and there are a lot of you). Congrats to Folsom. Congrats to CC on a great game plan and execution.

Streak - I don't know how you moderate some of this ridiculous drivel. I don't know that I could read the constant pathetic whining and negativity every day. Life is just too short. But thanks for your posts. Mr Big and TR ditto.
When you say Folsom haters who exactly are you pointing too? Can you put a name with your assertions or are you being sarcastic? Because I haven't seen any Folsom haters but I have seen posters that interject their spot on thoughts about Folsom's program which are based on facts stemming from their history under Richardson. I'm looking forward to seeing who the Folsom haters are.

Props to CC defense in the redzone. Folsom went up and down the field with ease. If they don’t tighten up and play tough down there Folsom would have easily won by 4+ TDs. The prevented the big play and Folsom chipped away. That short field in the redzone isn’t an ideal position for a spread offense.
CC controlled the clock and didn’t let Folsom play their game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT