ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom wins 3rd state title in 7 years

thekingera

Sports Fanatic
Dec 12, 2017
Great article below!

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article190135309.html

I am finally waking up and wanted to give my two cents on the game last night on both Folsom and Helix.

Per Calpreps, Folsom came in to the game ranked #3 in the state. Helix #7. This was a match up of two darn good teams. Two top ten, public school teams, going head to head. You can't ask for more!

Helix- When I got to the game and saw Helix warming up, I was sort of in awe. They passed the eye test for sure. They were HUGE! They had huge bodies on the line and at the skill position. The #1 rated CB was one of the fastest and most skilled kids I've seen at the HS level. The QB bound for Davis (Baker) was very impressive. Frankly, I think Davis is getting a steal with this kid. Helix was able to run the ball effectively for most of the game and could throw the deep ball. It seemed like they had it all. Turnovers and bad defense really did them in. I was surprised to see that Folsom scored more points on them than any other team did in the South.

Folsom- A team full of juniors did an amazing job pushing around a team that was older, and much bigger than they were. The Bulldogs did not back down, not even when they went down 14-0. They quickly went on to score 28 unanswered points. The look on the Helix's players face, was one of disbelief and shock. I don't think they expected something like that. I can only imagine if Folsom didn't make so many mistakes and turn the ball over, how bad the score really could have been. Despite all of the athletes all over the field for Helix, Folsom was just as good, if not better, at all the skill positions. Ngata has been the difference in most games for Folsom, but this night belonged to the mobile junior, Kaiden Bennett. Other than a few mistakes, he was simply awesome, throwing the ball and running it. I believe it was a QB rushing CIF state title record. Bennett passed for 327 yards and four touchdowns, and rushed for 147 yards on 14 carries and two scores. Man, this kid was impressive. Overall, the offense line played well. The defensive line played good enough to win, but showed signed of fatigue against a huge offense line and a great RB in the second half. This is something they will need to improve on. The offense was one of the most balanced and prolific, I've seen in my many years of watching HS football. It is amazing to think if they cut down on the little mistakes, just how prolific they could be. Both Ngata brothers are amazing, with Joe being a possible NFL star someday.

This was a great night for the SFL and NorCal football. My wife and kids had a blast, despite the cold. This just made the hype that much crazier for next year. Hey, you know you are doing something right when the big dogs from SoCal are calling you out on Twitter! That's an honor in my book. As a fan, I can't wait to see the scheduling path they go with next year. They may surpass the 2014 team in my book (although the 2010 team was my favorite). IMHO they should be the consensus preseason #1 team in Norcal, and top 3 in all of CA. Can't wait!

Go NorCal & Congrats Bulldogs on an amazing season!

Could’ve been 5 in 7 years darn you dls. Good job folsom Now schedule up so you can finally add the big boy trophy

Reactions: sarpar
I also braved the cold but to be honest the Central Fresno game was a lot colder. (good write up btw) Hats off to a great Folsom team. I'm actually blown away by the fact that I'm watching HS football at sometimes. Its scary to think about how many players return from Folsom. The bad news for the SFL is a lot of schools like OR and GB were very senior heavy. For the love of god please schedule a couple state powers. (or national) You guys can beat a lot of these teams!

I was really impressed with Helix QB BAKER. How this kid is going to UCD is beyond me. (But good for the aggies). Awhile back Davis got a kid from Cardinal Newman (Randy Wright) who I thought was under recruited as well and he went on to re-write a lot of records at Davis. I think Baker will do very well there and should compete day 1.

Also while Ngata gets a ton of hype as he should, for the most part he was quiet last night with exception of a 50 yard TD in 1st half. I credit Helix stud DB Stuart. With that said lets give some credit to #3 CJ Hutton for Folsom. This kid looks like he should be playing for the Jr Bulldogs. What a gamer in the slot receiver position. And he's a soph!!

Helix was the real deal. Folsom was just better.

And for the record you are absolutely nuts if you think the NGATA decision coming to Folsom over Grant took more than 5 seconds to make. Its more than just football. Look at the schools. The academics and resources. Its an easy choice. I speak the truth on this board. It is what it is.

when the big dogs from SoCal are calling you out on Twitter! That's an honor in my book

I think it’s more of believing they would be state champions if y’all played and extending an invitation to prove them wrong

Funny thing is Just imagine if The "roommates " stayed in Reno , Badger , and his other running mates JV Qb and Runningback stayed and went to SHELDON . Also the best player on DLS stayed at Sac high like he was supposed to , then we might just be talking about Sac High or SHELDON in that game last night

Reactions: Deltadodger
Great article below!

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article190135309.html

I am finally waking up and wanted to give my two cents on the game last night on both Folsom and Helix.

Per Calpreps, Folsom came in to the game ranked #3 in the state. Helix #7. This was a match up of two darn good teams. Two top ten, public school teams, going head to head. You can't ask for more!

Helix- When I got to the game and saw Helix warming up, I was sort of in awe. They passed the eye test for sure. They were HUGE! They had huge bodies on the line and at the skill position. The #1 rated CB was one of the fastest and most skilled kids I've seen at the HS level. The QB bound for Davis (Baker) was very impressive. Frankly, I think Davis is getting a steal with this kid. Helix was able to run the ball effectively for most of the game and could throw the deep ball. It seemed like they had it all. Turnovers and bad defense really did them in. I was surprised to see that Folsom scored more points on them than any other team did in the South.

Folsom- A team full of juniors did an amazing job pushing around a team that was older, and much bigger than they were. The Bulldogs did not back down, not even when they went down 14-0. They quickly went on to score 28 unanswered points. The look on the Helix's players face, was one of disbelief and shock. I don't think they expected something like that. I can only imagine if Folsom didn't make so many mistakes and turn the ball over, how bad the score really could have been. Despite all of the athletes all over the field for Helix, Folsom was just as good, if not better, at all the skill positions. Ngata has been the difference in most games for Folsom, but this night belonged to the mobile junior, Kaiden Bennett. Other than a few mistakes, he was simply awesome, throwing the ball and running it. I believe it was a QB rushing CIF state title record. Bennett passed for 327 yards and four touchdowns, and rushed for 147 yards on 14 carries and two scores. Man, this kid was impressive. Overall, the offense line played well. The defensive line played good enough to win, but showed signed of fatigue against a huge offense line and a great RB in the second half. This is something they will need to improve on. The offense was one of the most balanced and prolific, I've seen in my many years of watching HS football. It is amazing to think if they cut down on the little mistakes, just how prolific they could be. Both Ngata brothers are amazing, with Joe being a possible NFL star someday.

This was a great night for the SFL and NorCal football. My wife and kids had a blast, despite the cold. This just made the hype that much crazier for next year. Hey, you know you are doing something right when the big dogs from SoCal are calling you out on Twitter! That's an honor in my book. As a fan, I can't wait to see the scheduling path they go with next year. They may surpass the 2014 team in my book (although the 2010 team was my favorite). IMHO they should be the consensus preseason #1 team in Norcal, and top 3 in all of CA. Can't wait!

Go NorCal & Congrats Bulldogs on an amazing season!
Good game indeed. Just so you know Helix is NOT a S. Cal top 10 team. They beat nobody this season. Put them in the Pac 5 and they are history in round 1. They slipped by a completely banged up Oaks Christian team to get to the title game. Helix is probably around #13 in the S. Cal pecking order. If they played a CC, SJV or MD it would be running clock to start the 2nd half.

Reactions: sammyswordsman
Now if Folsom could only beat De La Salle
Based on what I saw all year and last night, they absolutely can. I stand firm in believing that outside of MD, all the rest of the top 10 in the state could beat eachother on any given day. I don't think this is debatable. But enough about fictitious match ups.

Calpreps had Helix #7 in the entire state, not just Socal. Based on what I saw last night, they warranted that rank. They had a great team. They made a few mistakes and lacked discipline, but had the horses for sure. We could debate all day the what ifs on what if they were in that league, what if they had Tom Brady, what if the Ngata brothers decided to go to Grant, what if LeBron James played for Sheldon, etc....but it's all fictitious. Let's just move on and celebrate this title for NorCal. Folsom is a great program and worked hard for this.

It will all be played out on the field next year. Trust me the Twitter challenge was only the beginning. Folsom just has to decide which team to play. I agree SJB would be a great match up and I hope it happens. No offense to DLS but I think Folsom has bigger fish to fry next year. Plus watching a veer against a prolific offense would put me to sleep. I think Folsom/SJB or Folsom/CC would be great!

Good luck to everyone today including DLS and the Places Hillman! NorCal!

I think you have to put Folsom preseason #1 in Norcal next year. Sorry to DLS. Look at the stallions they return plus 10-0 JV and you know a few kids will "show up" and be game changes. Not by any means a Folsom homer but they are the team to beat.

Based on what I saw all year and last night, they absolutely can. I stand firm in believing that outside of MD, all the rest of the top 10 in the state could beat eachother on any given day. I don't think this is debatable.

Are you serious? This statement shows you really don't have any clue what you are talking about. Everyone knows MD, SJB and CC are so far ahead of anyone else in S Cal. I think if McKee is healthy CC beats IMG, SJB and gives MD all they can handle. Helix vs CC would be 63 to 14.

I think you have to put Folsom preseason #1 in Norcal next year. Sorry to DLS.
I think Folsom needs to earn that title. As a coach, I also believe in the rule, "to be the best, you have to beat the best". Gifting Folsom the #1 tag in all of NorCal after avoiding the true #1 team in NorCal (DLS) in any capacity (pre-season or post-season) is a bad message and a total disrespect to NorCal football all together. Add to that Folsom's lack luster preseason SOS challenge and it's a rap. We need to respect the integrity of NorCal football. Gifting a team the #1 status without them putting in work isn't the way to maintain that respect. If Folsom wants big boy football status (NorCal #1) they need to schedule big boy football in the pre-season. Until then, no one in NorCal should be saying they deserve that status.

"The Junkie"

[
I was really impressed with Helix QB BAKER. How this kid is going to UCD is beyond me. (But good for the aggies). Awhile back Davis got a kid from Cardinal Newman (Randy Wright) who I thought was under recruited as well and he went on to re-write a lot of records at Davis. I think Baker will do very well there and should compete day 1.

He is legit. Throws with accuracy and great ball speed.

I think Folsom needs to earn that title. As a coach, I also believe in the rule, "to be the best, you have to beat the best". Gifting Folsom the #1 tag in all of NorCal after avoiding the true #1 team in NorCal (DLS) in any capacity (pre-season or post-season) is a bad message and a total disrespect to NorCal football all together. Add to that Folsom's lack luster preseason SOS challenge and it's a rap. We need to respect the integrity of NorCal football. Gifting a team the #1 status without them putting in work isn't the way to maintain that respect. If Folsom wants big boy football status (NorCal #1) they need to schedule big boy football in the pre-season. Until then, no one in NorCal should be saying they deserve that status.

"The Junkie"
Congrats to Folsom, great team, great program, great win last night! But I agree with this post, it needs to be earned as far as preseason number 1 in NorCal goes. Still, no harm in a little conjecture about next seasons preseason rankings.

Reactions: thekingera
Its only a ranking. They don't mean much until they actually play each other, but on paper I have to say Folsom is the team to beat next year. Am I wrong? Don't tell me Folsom didn't beat anybody this year either. They play in the best league in Norcal and beat a very good St Mary's, Central Fresno, and now Helix team.

Good game indeed. Just so you know Helix is NOT a S. Cal top 10 team. They beat nobody this season. Put them in the Pac 5 and they are history in round 1. They slipped by a completely banged up Oaks Christian team to get to the title game. Helix is probably around #13 in the S. Cal pecking order. If they played a CC, SJV or MD it would be running clock to start the 2nd half.

As a general rule, I agree that the SDS teams are generally a rung below the teams in SS. however the Helix team on the field last night had ALOT more size and speed than any of the past SDS champs I’ve watched. No Helix isn’t on the same terms year in and year out with the top PAC 5 teams, but this years team is an outlier IMHO. BTW, there are NOT 12 teams in SoCal better than Helix right now.

Its only a ranking. They don't mean much until they actually play each other, but on paper I have to say Folsom is the team to beat next year. Am I wrong? Don't tell me Folsom didn't beat anybody this year either. They play in the best league in Norcal and beat a very good St Mary's, Central Fresno, and now Helix team.
Do you know who DLS returns next year? Would have to know a little about who they’re returning and what kind of JV team they had this past year to make that statement. Until PROVEN otherwise, DLS should be rated a little ahead.But Folsom certainly is worthy of mention in that regard

As a general rule, I agree that the SDS teams are generally a rung below the teams in SS. however the Helix team on the field last night had ALOT more size and speed than any of the past SDS champs I’ve watched. No Helix isn’t on the same terms year in and year out with the top PAC 5 teams, but this years team is an outlier IMHO. BTW, there are NOT 12 teams in SoCal better than Helix right now.
Helix lost to Paraclete this year. They lost bad 6-23

The below listed teams would also beat Helix

MD
SJB
Cen10
MV
Chaminade
SantaMargarita
OLU
JSerra
Upland
Rancho Cucamonga
Poly
Serra

You do realize that Helix is a D2 So Cal team right? That’s who they played in the Regional,SS D2 champion Oaks Christian.They probably would have lost that game if Oaks first and second string QB hadn’t gotten hurt.
More perspective,D2 champ Oaks lost to D1 first round loser Chaminade by 30 points.Chaminade beat Arizona D1 semi finalist Mountain Pointe Pretty convincingly on Mountain Pointe home field.Like I said anyone who believes Folsom is the 3rd best team in state has lost grip on reality

Reactions: nascar624
I also braved the cold but to be honest the Central Fresno game was a lot colder. (good write up btw) Hats off to a great Folsom team. I'm actually blown away by the fact that I'm watching HS football at sometimes. Its scary to think about how many players return from Folsom. The bad news for the SFL is a lot of schools like OR and GB were very senior heavy. For the love of god please schedule a couple state powers. (or national) You guys can beat a lot of these teams!

Also while Ngata gets a ton of hype as he should, for the most part he was quiet last night with exception of a 50 yard TD in 1st half. I credit Helix stud DB Stuart. With that said lets give some credit to #3 CJ Hutton for Folsom. This kid looks like he should be playing for the Jr Bulldogs. What a gamer in the slot receiver position. And he's a soph!!

Helix was the real deal. Folsom was just better.

And for the record you are absolutely nuts if you think the NGATA decision coming to Folsom over Grant took more than 5 seconds to make. Its more than just football. Look at the schools. The academics and resources. Its an easy choice. I speak the truth on this board. It is what it is.

Uh, no I seriously doubt it took that little of time. You said, school, academics and resources?

I say Shaq and Syd'Quan Thompson. I say Paris Warren. I say Onterrio Smith. I say Donte Stallworth. I say Devonte Booker.

Yeah, Folsom is doing it's thing......now. But don't disrespect Coach Alberghini like that. That dude has been putting out talent since Folsom was taking yearly ass whoopings from Laguna Creek.

DLS did Folsom a favor by playing in the Open this year. Mater Dei would have had a running clock on Folsom too.

You do realize that Helix is a D2 So Cal team right? That’s who they played in the Regional,SS D2 champion Oaks Christian.They probably would have lost that game if Oaks first and second string QB hadn’t gotten hurt.
More perspective,D2 champ Oaks lost to D1 first round loser Chaminade by 30 points.Chaminade beat Arizona D1 semi finalist Mountain Pointe Pretty convincingly on Mountain Pointe home field.Like I said anyone who believes Folsom is the 3rd best team in state has lost grip on reality
To add to your point Mountain Pointe also beat Arizona D1 Champ Chandler @ Chandler 24-21 and was leading at the half 21-7 in their regular season game.

Helix lost to Paraclete this year. They lost bad 6-23

The below listed teams would also beat Helix

MD
SJB
Cen10
MV
Chaminade
SantaMargarita
OLU
JSerra
Upland
Rancho Cucamonga
Poly
Serra
Calpreps has Helix rated higher than those teams based on statistial measures like SoS, common opponents, etc.... your list sounds cool but it is purely opinion and speculation.

Based on your post history, it is clear that your agenda is to minimize Helix, so that Folsoms win doesn't look "as good."

Still not sure why Folsom causes such emotional tirades in some posters on here to the point they have to be reeled or banned. It is bizarre to me. Anyone care to explain?

Anywho - go NorCal and congrats to our highly ranked teams. We did good at state this year and we should all be proud!

Reactions: awood1
Lets not forget Folsom is a public high school. What other publics are this good?
Agree. And this is why I believe they should play other public powers in the preseason and leave MD and SJB for the Open game if they are selected. Chasing Bishop Gorman and any other Private school isn't idea. Folsom should schedule a SS Cali Public power on the level of (Chaminade, Mission Viejo) as well as the SS Cali Public National power Cen10. After that reach out to the OOS Public powers like Colquitt County (GA), Chandler (AZ) and Bingham (UT). If they land a commitment from a SS power and a OOS power it would be huge for Folsom football in regards to national respect. I personally would love to see them get a commitment from Chaminade, Cen10 and Colquitt County. Their 4th preseason game can be a cupcake or better yet a warm up game all I care.

Last edited:
Folsom won the state champ last night. Lets stick to reality and give that program and their kids some credit.
Correction, Folsom one A state championship not THE state championship. MD was head and shoulders above everyone, and IMO the best high school football team ever.

Correction, Folsom one A state championship not THE state championship. MD was head and shoulders above everyone, and IMO the best high school football team ever.
Correction. THE 1AA State Champion.

Go Norcal!

Reactions: awood1
Lets not forget Folsom is a public high school. What other publics are this good?

Public and privates are not too different these days especially if you’re a public school that can attract top athletes from different states let alone pull athletes away from other programs. Not all public’s are created equal and that’s why some are bitter about folsom could you image being a sfl team and you field the best possible team and Folsom beats you by 20 points and it’s because of the “ express” and the handful of kids from Elk Grove id be pissed, but as a grant fan I love it we get to prove every year that we still have top talent...Folsom should win next year but after that it’ll we interesting every year and it’ll be sold out...I respect folsoms program they took it to the next level...grant could’ve been to the open 3 straight years if they took care a business

You do realize that Helix is a D2 So Cal team right...

I said anyone who believes Folsom is the 3rd best team in state has lost grip on reality

Actually, Helix is a SDS DI team who won the So Cal I-AA title. Just because they beat Oaks doesn’t make them D2. Same way Pitt (NCS D1) played and beat Granite Bay (SJS D2) in their Nor Cal Regional.

Also, I don’t believe Folsom is 3rd best team in the state and I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone post that on here (except maybe Bulldog who likely thinks Folsom is #1in the nation). Who said that anyway?
I do believe The Helix team that I watched play Folsom is better than they are given credit by the LA guys. Lots of DI talent at skill positions, good size upfront, etc. You can point to one Week 0 result all you want, I think there is simply more to it

I do believe The Helix team that I watched play Folsom is better than they are given credit by the LA guys. Lots of DI talent at skill positions, good size upfront, etc. You can point to one Week 0 result all you want, I think there is simply more to it
Helix was legit. I was impressed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT