ADVERTISEMENT

Games you would like to see

Champ, I agree with you in regards to Placer beating all three of those teams this year. Shucks, I believe Placer can get every team in the SFL this year excluding Folsom and Del Oro. I would pick them over the rest of the SFL teams in Pick'em. That said, how do you feel about the strength of Placer's pre-season schedule? Should they reach out and schedule a big pre-season game against an Oakdale (SJS), Palma (CCS), Rancho Cotate (NCS), Campolindo (NCS) or Sutter (NS)? It seems like they've step their game up considerably since Eddie Vanderdoes and their play has garnished a lot of warranted attention the past few years. Your thoughts on your Hillmen pre-season strength of schedule would be greatly appreciated. P.S. I totally agree that ThunderRam would give a great breakdown on these matchups and I would also respect the input from weekly Pick'em guru NorCalSportsFan as well. Great stuff!
Their preseason schedule was ok,I thought Bishop Manogue was a good pick up and Vista Del Lago is a good game(usually)they are well coached and there is a good relationship between the coaches.The other 3 PG a D1 and Whitney now in SFL haven’t lately been theirselves especially PG,El Dorado we need to scrap that game.I would love to see us play a Sutter(NS)or a Eureka also from (NS) from NCS yes a Rancho Cotate a Bishop ODowd ,how about the cowboys from Livermore or a Granada,Monte Vista from Danville I believe.SJS heck CC we have in the past both preseason and playoffs........my buddy would love an Oakdale vs Placer as he likes both lol.Placer next yr will lose a lot to graduation but Placer will still be competitive in new FVL.....next yr there will be no undefeated teams it will be a dogfight,I used to think that the PVL with Placer and Lincoln was a mini SFL this new FVL IMHO with the teams in it will be the mini SFL.This yrs Placer would do very well vs the suggested teams above,next yr not as much but will definitely get respect.It takes Placer about 3-4 yrs by the time they turn out a team such as this yr and like Eddie V’s team,09,
12,last yr 17 and this yr 18 out of all these teams my favorite was the 09 with RB’s Asher Gotzmer and the fosterkid(wink)Dalton Dyer all around my opinion that team was fantastic,lost to Modesto Christian in D4 finals....great team.Placer now in the FVL I got a feeling Coach Montoya may spread those wings out further to soar higher.You can only get better ....right?

Their preseason schedule was ok,I thought Bishop Manogue was a good pick up and Vista Del Lago is a good game(usually)they are well coached and there is a good relationship between the coaches.The other 3 PG a D1 and Whitney now in SFL haven’t lately been theirselves especially PG,El Dorado we need to scrap that game.I would love to see us play a Sutter(NS)or a Eureka also from (NS) from NCS yes a Rancho Cotate a Bishop ODowd ,how about the cowboys from Livermore or a Granada,Monte Vista from Danville I believe.SJS heck CC we have in the past both preseason and playoffs........my buddy would love an Oakdale vs Placer as he likes both lol.Placer next yr will lose a lot to graduation but Placer will still be competitive in new FVL.....next yr there will be no undefeated teams it will be a dogfight,I used to think that the PVL with Placer and Lincoln was a mini SFL this new FVL IMHO with the teams in it will be the mini SFL.This yrs Placer would do very well vs the suggested teams above,next yr not as much but will definitely get respect.It takes Placer about 3-4 yrs by the time they turn out a team such as this yr and like Eddie V’s team,09,
12,last yr 17 and this yr 18 out of all these teams my favorite was the 09 with RB’s Asher Gotzmer and the fosterkid(wink)Dalton Dyer all around my opinion that team was fantastic,lost to Modesto Christian in D4 finals....great team.Placer now in the FVL I got a feeling Coach Montoya may spread those wings out further to soar higher.You can only get better ....right?
PS thanks 101 for asking for my take I get majority of my knowledge of all these teams from YOU and TR and Norcalsports and so many other,you guys and your views and opinions and stats are fabulous.....so again my friend tyvm.Go Placer.

Yes your Oakdale buddy would love that game. I am not sure Trent and Joey want that game though as they good friends. I always thought a few years back when Escalon was one of the top small schools in our section would be a good game for Oakdale. But that never happened.

Reactions: championcif75

Speaking of good RBs, Michael Robinson was a monster. He ran very hard and it took multiple defenders to get him down.

This would be a huge blowout. Seen both teams this year and it isn't remotely close. I would put Liberty slightly higher than Chaminade and they almost had to call that game at halftime.

I would love to see Folsom/DLS Part II, regional bowl.

This would be a huge blowout. Seen both teams this game three times and it never remotely close.

I would love to see us play a Sutter(NS)or a Eureka also from (NS) from NCS yes a Rancho Cotate a Bishop ODowd ,how about the cowboys from Livermore or a Granada,Monte Vista from Danville I believe.

I think Sutter would be a great game, much better than a DO vs Sutter matchup.

Also Eureka is in the NCS.

I don’t believe Sutter and Placer have ever played at the varsity, JV levels. They do a lot of summer work together though and respect the heck out of each other. Probably would not want to jeopardize the friendship and the summer program. The Sutter frosh have played Placer quite a bit however and I don’t believe Placer has ever beat them. Not that the frosh level is indicative of the 2 programs

The game I can’t wait to see is next Friday. Two of the most successful programs in NorCal with two of the best coaches in the state. If you want to see small town, small school atmosphere, it doesn’t get better than Colfax. http://www.auburnjournal.com/articl...lazers-readies-next-week’s-showdown-bear-river

I drove up to Colfax to see them play Union Mine 5 weeks ago. It is a nice intimate venue. Not quite Hooper Stadium, but still impressive. The Falcons looked pretty darn good too.

The Falcons lead the all-time series 17-15, but the Bruins have won 4 of the past 6 heading into tonight's match up in Colfax.

I took this photo late in the JV game from North-East corner end zone on the Colfax side:

DnGlj4fU4Ac6xbH.jpg

Last edited:
two of the best coaches in the state

Certainly two of the most unheralded coaches in the SJS. Because they don't coach at large school programs.

But Terry Logue has 237 wins. Tony Martello has 207. BR Co-HC Scott Savoie has 127.

With regard to active head coaches with at least 100 wins in the SJS, Martello's .766 win percentage trails only Kris Richardson (.850), Roger Canepa (.821), Mike Alberghini (.806) and Trent Merzon (.805).

I drove up to Colfax to see them play Union Mine 5 weeks ago. It is a nice intimate venue. Not quite Hooper Stadium, but still impressive. The Falcons looked pretty darn good too.

The Falcons lead the all-time series 17-15, but the Bruins have won 4 of the past 6 heading into tonight's match up in Colfax.

I took this photo late in the JV game from North-East corner end zone on the Colfax side:

DnGlj4fU4Ac6xbH.jpg
I was at that game too. I was so impressed with the students and the “honor walk” they did for the vets

DnGlj4fU4Ac6xbH.jpg

I thought this was kind of cool. The pic TR posted was taken at Colfax at the Colfax/Union Mine game on September 14th. At the DO/Rocklin game this past Friday I showed TR a similar pic I took(below) at the DO/Granite Bay game that was also played on the same night. What we both thought was interesting was the time we took the pics, both these pics were taken on the same night but only 1 minute apart.

Certainly two of the most unheralded coaches in the SJS. Because they don't coach at large school programs.

But Terry Logue has 237 wins. Tony Martello has 207. BR Co-HC Scott Savoie has 127.

With regard to active head coaches with at least 100 wins in the SJS, Martello's .766 win percentage trails only Kris Richardson (.850), Roger Canepa (.821), Mike Alberghini (.806) and Trent Merzon (.805).

I’m pretty sure you missed Terry Stark at Inderkum with 200 wins....

Reactions: RidgeRider
I’m pretty sure you missed Terry Stark at Inderkum with 200 wins....

215 to be exact. But, no, I'd never overlook Coach Stark. I played for him! ;)

I think you misunderstood the context of my post. I listed the win totals of the 3 head coaches involved in the Colfax-Bear River game. And then mentioned how one of them had a win % bested by only 4 active coaches.

While Coach Stark's win % at Inderkum is phenomenal (.844) his overall win % comes in at .729 which is below Coach Martello and the others I listed. Remember, before his current run at Inderkum, Coach Stark also held Head or Co-Head coaching gigs at Mira Loma, Johnson and Natomas.

ML was on 30 game losing streak when he took them over. I remember helping him clean the equipment room that 1st day. 1st thing he said was man, they had more knee braces than players in the program. Then brought over the trash can n tossed em all away.

215 to be exact. But, no, I'd never overlook Coach Stark. I played for him! ;)

I think you misunderstood the context of my post. I listed the win totals of the 3 head coaches involved in the Colfax-Bear River game. And then mentioned how one of them had a win % bested by only 4 active coaches.

While Coach Stark's win % at Inderkum is phenomenal (.844) his overall win % comes in at .729 which is below Coach Martello and the others I listed. Remember, before his current run at Inderkum, Coach Stark also held Head or Co-Head coaching gigs at Mira Loma, Johnson and Natomas.

But you mentioned Richardson, Merzon and Al...just thought he should be mentioned in the same paragraph

But you mentioned Richardson, Merzon and Al...just thought he should be mentioned in the same paragraph

At some point he needs to win a section title. Winning a lot of games means nothing if you can’t win in the play offs. Having some of the best talent inderkum may ever have and getting blown out by Del Oro is crushing

He would have been -- had his lifetime % been better than Coach Martello's as each of those other names are.
I'd love to include Coach Stark's name along with section title winning coaches too. But it would be incorrect to do so until his team wins one (hopefully this season).

At some point he needs to win a section title. Winning a lot of games means nothing if you can’t win in the play offs. Having some of the best talent inderkum may ever have and getting blown out by Del Oro is crushing

I get your point, but don't overstate it. He has won in the playoffs. Indy's playoff record is 22-12. Pretty good, actually.

While Indy has come up short in a couple of section title games -- ones that could have gone either way -- Stark would be no better or worse of a coach had his team managed to win one or all of those.

I was at the 2008 title game against Casa Roble, when Indy fought back to push the game to OT. They easily could have won that game against a great team that went 13-0. IMO, the 2009 game they lost to Del Campo was largely influenced by the monsoon rainstorm -- which negated their advantages. I can't excuse the loss to Oakdale in 2014 when they led 20-0 at half --- as that's one you gotta find a way to win. But I can't fault the coach for not winning the others.

ML was on 30 game losing streak when he took them over. I remember helping him clean the equipment room that 1st day. 1st thing he said was man, they had more knee braces than players in the program. Then brought over the trash can n tossed em all away.

Yeah, it took him a few seasons, but he finally got that program going again. Nobody has really won there since he left.

IIRC it was the 1995 season when he put together a team that featured THREE 1,000+ yard rushers -- which had never been done before in the SJS. Kam Davis, Robert Coleman and Torre Watson.

I recently saw that ML and Encina are both getting turf fields, new scoreboards and all-weather track installed. Nice to see those old schools finally getting updated after all these years. Hopefully it'll have an impact on their sports programs.

Last edited:
I get your point, but don't overstate it. He has won in the playoffs. Indy's playoff record is 22-12. Pretty good, actually.

While Indy has come up short in a couple of section title games -- ones that could have gone either way -- Stark would be no better or worse of a coach had his team managed to win one or all of those.

I was at the 2008 title game against Casa Roble, when Indy fought back to push the game to OT. They easily could have won that game against a great team that went 13-0. IMO, the 2009 game they lost to Del Campo was largely influenced by the monsoon rainstorm -- which negated their advantages. I can't excuse the loss to Oakdale in 2014 when they led 20-0 at half --- as that's one you gotta find a way to win. But I can't fault the coach for not winning the others.

Inderkum is impressive but level of competition is a factor to me. They should atleast be playing in the delta league

Hope Oakdale cal pull off W by 6pts at the Corral Friday , as I really would like to see Placer vs Oakdale go at it in D3. Assuming of course Placer gets biz done Friday vs Lincoln

I heard Oakdale is having a down year. This would be a better game with one of Oakdale’s better teams. Seems like this matchup would be with one of Placer’s best teams ever, and one of Oakdale’s worst.

I heard Oakdale is having a down year. This would be a better game with one of Oakdale’s better teams. Seems like this matchup would be with one of Placer’s best teams ever, and one of Oakdale’s worst.

Very true. Tomorrow night Oakdale is playing Central Catholic at the Corral. I guess we will see what Oakdale's got. If they end up beating CC, which I think is a long shot, then I say we could see a good game between Oak and Placer if they should meet up in playoffs. Oakdale was the underdog a couple of years ago against CC at the Corral. CC was predicted to come into the Corral and beat Oakdale by 14 pts. Instead, Oakdale beat CC by 14.. I don't see this happening tomorrow night. Just hope it's a respectful score. Hoping Merzon has those boys ready for a very very good CC team. The Corral is going to be PACKED.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Hope Oakdale cal pull off W by 6pts at the Corral Friday , as I really would like to see Placer vs Oakdale go at it in D3. Assuming of course Placer gets biz done Friday vs Lincoln

If Oakdale gets the "W" by 6 or more against CC they will be seeded 4 in D3 bracket

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you really mean 'worst'. I think it's more accurate and fair to say that it may not be among the best teams they've fielded. Despite not being as good as some other teams, this current Oakdale team is still pretty good.

Besides, when Oakdale beat Placer by 1 point in the 2010 playoffs, I don't recall anyone saying "that was one of Placer's worst teams ever". ;)

Reactions: playsomeball
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe you really mean 'worst'. I think it's more accurate and fair to say that it may not be among the best teams they've fielded. Despite not being as good as some other teams, this current Oakdale team is still pretty good.

Besides, when Oakdale beat Placer by 1 point in the 2010 playoffs, I don't recall anyone saying "that was one of Placer's worst teams ever". ;)
That was one of the most miserable weather for any game I had been to since Oakdale v St Mary's in 1972. The difference in the Placer vOakdale game on the extra point Placer kicker hit goal post and went out Oakdale hit post went in.

You say this like they get to choose. They don't.

Besides, the league they're in is good. And they're owning it. And they've scheduled good preseason competition over the years too.

We’ve seen the ending o this movie before dominate d3 move into d2 and get blown out at some point of Whitney can get moved to a league they have no business playing in you’d think inderkum would get the football only invite. We y’all aboit folsoms scheduling inderkum shouldn’t get a pass either they’ve been pretty solid for some years now I would like to see them schedule better teams

Fair enough.

All of this talk gets me really fired up for this time of year! Lot of playoff implications come down to the last week of play that may or may not produce the matchups we want but it’s all fun!

I just wished CIF would schedule some of the playoff games on Saturday so we could go to more games. Placer game one night then DO game the next night, can’t get much better than that here in the foothills/Loomis basin area...

We’ve seen the ending o this movie before dominate d3 move into d2 and get blown out at some point of Whitney can get moved to a league they have no business playing in you’d think inderkum would get the football only invite. We y’all aboit folsoms scheduling inderkum shouldn’t get a pass either they’ve been pretty solid for some years now I would like to see them schedule better teams

week 0- Elk Grove
week 1- American Canyon
week 2- Sac High
week 3-Bye
week 4- Bella Vista* League opponent
week 5-Lincoln (S)

When EG was scheduled, year one they blew Inderkum out, following year Indy blows them out. EG coming off of a 3rd round lose to Folsom and a section final lose to Folsom in the D1 playoffs. Yep, they're not trying to schedule up. Contract is renewed with new HC, coach Heff. Assuming he'd restore EG back to what they've been, coming from Burbank.

American Canyon year one lose to Inderkum, year two AC blows Indy out. Extreamly athletic team coming off back to back playoff runs, who run an offense that Indy will see from a league opponent. They renew the contract for 2017&2018. One month before the season 2018, they have an entire staff replaced.

Sac High- Game scheduled after Sac high beats Folsom and takes Folsom to their limit in back to back years.

Lincoln (S)- Game is scheduled in the 9th hour trying to find the best team available. D1 playoff team in previous years.

When a 2 year contract is signed, teams have very little to no idea what the team will be like next year. Is it any team's fault that someone they schedule has a down year or a tough year? It's also extremely difficult to schedule games year in year out when teams simply don't want to play you....Indy will have one opening next year, week 1. So when that isn't filled by some "better teams" that have that same opening available, they'll be accused again of not scheduling up.

I have an idea, you make Indy's pre-league schedule for them and call the 3 remaining teams and advise them that the contract is voided. Then find an appropriate 4 team schedule for them.

Well one of the matchups I wanted to see, Oakdale vs Placer, will not happen now after Mustang's loss to CC but still holding out for Placer vs Cap Christian D3 final!

I see this sign in my home town off of I-80 west everytime I drive down the hill that gets me pumped for the Hillman.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT