ADVERTISEMENT

Good Win for St. Francis 48-44 over Sacred Heart

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
5'10" frosh, Jess Oakland, is coming into her own. 15/10 against Valley Christian, and big plays down the stretch tonight.

5'10" frosh, Jess Oakland, is coming into her own. 15/10 against Valley Christian, and big plays down the stretch tonight.

She can play. It was a good game but let's slow down on the championship celebrations lol. Was that the WCAL or State championship? :) WCAL has a good freshman class and a bright future. Acosta and Ma from SI, Epps from SHC and Oakland from St. Francis. The future is bright.

She can play. It was a good game but let's slow down on the championship celebrations lol. Was that the WCAL or State championship? :)

That's the first time sfhs beat shc in about 7 years from what I hear. I'm ok with the celebration. I was at the game. Sfhs couldn't hit the side of a barn. They were the better team. Luckily they pulled it out inspite of their offense. Shc didn't have much other than Talo. And she didn't do much.

Still have no idea how shc beat si.

That's the first time sfhs beat shc in about 7 years from what I hear. I'm ok with the celebration. I was at the game. Sfhs couldn't hit the side of a barn. They were the better team. Luckily they pulled it out inspite of their offense. Shc didn't have much other than Talo. And she didn't do much.

Still have no idea how shc beat si.

You must be new to their bandwagon. St Francis beat SH with Harrigan as coach a few years ago. I was at the game as well and that was uncalled for but hey when your not used to winning I understand. SHC gave that game away up 10 shooting jumpers early in the shot clock in the 4th quarter instead of running some offense. They are a young team and will bounce back no problem. Not much other than Talo? Da'Mayah Lewis played a hell of a game. What game we you watching? They played a great game just have to learn how to close. I was at the SI game also and we did the same thing. Up 10 and still learning how to close games. Gloating might come back to haunt St Francis and their fans. They still have to play at SHC and again in CCS and possibly Nor Cal. By then starting pg Milan Tuttle will be back also. Hope your at those games as well! Enjoy the win while you can

I wasn't there and don't know about the excessive celebration, but two things: These are high school kids and high school kids can get emotional; and I remember someone telling me long ago "If you can't enjoy winning, you don't belong in the game."

It may come back to bite them, no question, but these aren't pros ... even though their parents might think they will be.

I wasn't there and don't know about the excessive celebration, but two things: These are high school kids and high school kids can get emotional; and I remember someone telling me long ago "If you can't enjoy winning, you don't belong in the game."

It may come back to bite them, no question, but these aren't pros ... even though their parents might think they will be.

True. Very true. Kids especially young girls can get very emotional during wins and loses. Whether it will bite them or not most kids won't regret dealing with the emotions they have during what they feel are triumphant times. They will have to deal with their emotions again later whether they win or lose anyway. Sure you should win gracefully and act like you've been there before even if you haven't. But they are young girls who tend to get emotional pretty easily.

As far as going pro, parents must remember, it's not easy to get there. Their kid(s) will have to be blessed enough with the talent, right attitude, and stay healthy enough to have the opportunity. Even then it's not all it is thought to be. A lot of hard work and dedication has to go into playing in the WNBA and/ or over seas professionally. And add to the fact that not many women make enough money playing basketball to make the sacrifice worth playing more than 4 or 5 seasons in so many cases. Of course the real money can be in an endorsement deal if one is fortunate enough to land that.

Last edited:
I’m sure the celebration was due to the fact they had lost to that team all 4 times last year, and I’m sure beating them had to be one of their goals this year. I highly doubt they thought they’d just cemented the WCAL championship. Let the girls enjoy a win.

I watched both the SHC vs SI game and the SHC vs SF game. Funny because I thought SHC should have lost the SI game, they were very fortunate to pull out that game. This game vs SF was the opposite feeling to me. They gave the game away much like SI did. SHC was ahead the entire game and should have been able to pull this one out. So funny how things work themselves out like that. I didn’t have a problem with the way SF celebrated after the win, especially because of the fashion they came back to pull this one out that wasn’t going well for them. After losing to them 4 times last year, I’m sure they were both elated and also probably shocked they came back to win like that. Also their seniors played well. Love how Uyehara plays the game. Hope she gets a chance somewhere to play at the next level.

I’m sure the celebration was due to the fact they had lost to that team all 4 times last year, and I’m sure beating them had to be one of their goals this year. I highly doubt they thought they’d just cemented the WCAL championship. Let the girls enjoy a win.

We have to remember this is not the "No Fun League. IMO.....even the no fun league should loosen up and let folks enjoy the triumphs and small or large victories. After all, isn't it just a game? I'm not saying take it too far. Or to be openly disrespectful. Just be happy.

Because you are talented enough to hit the latest dance move, or turn a flip after scoring, that isn't excessive celebration. And it's not disrespectful. No, it's showing you're having fun while enjoying playing a game.

Last edited:
You must be new to their bandwagon. St Francis beat SH with Harrigan as coach a few years ago. I was at the game as well and that was uncalled for but hey when your not used to winning I understand. SHC gave that game away up 10 shooting jumpers early in the shot clock in the 4th quarter instead of running some offense. They are a young team and will bounce back no problem. Not much other than Talo? Da'Mayah Lewis played a hell of a game. What game we you watching? They played a great game just have to learn how to close. I was at the SI game also and we did the same thing. Up 10 and still learning how to close games. Gloating might come back to haunt St Francis and their fans. They still have to play at SHC and again in CCS and possibly Nor Cal. By then starting pg Milan Tuttle will be back also. Hope your at those games as well! Enjoy the win while you can

I don't think the celebration was mean spirited at all. It was a close game throughout, and inspite of sfhs bad shooting, they won.

I am not new at all to the "bandwagon". I know many families and coaches there and I know for a fact that this is the first time in 4 years that they won. The senior parents told me so. Then i talked to an alumni that was there watching the game who is now a sophomore in college, and she said they didn't beat SHC the 3 years she played varsity. So that's 7 years. I don't know what game you were at when they won. Maybe jv.

You're right, 24 had a good game, but they were leaving her alone to shoot wide open baseline jumpers, which was a bad idea in my opinion.

Not used to winning? They're 13-2. This was just about the seniors (Uyehara and Grizelj) not beating them in 4 years. You need to not take it personally.

Here's some numbers i heard about last night:
Sfhs 1st half fg 4-35
Sfhs had 17 @ half, 24 @ end of 3rd, and scored 24 in the 4th.

If sfhs coulda finished anything in the paint they win by 15.

You gotta play with the horses you have. Can't wait to see how 2-4 shapes up in the wcal.

BOD just beat SHC 63-50, and no celebration at all took place. SHC looked tired, like they left it all on the court last night.

Don't quite understand how it could come back to bite them - they'll either win the next game against SHC or they won't . I would assume that SHC losing this game is enough motivation for the next time they meet.

Reactions: basketba11
I don't think the celebration was mean spirited at all. It was a close game throughout, and inspite of sfhs bad shooting, they won.

I am not new at all to the "bandwagon". I know many families and coaches there and I know for a fact that this is the first time in 4 years that they won. The senior parents told me so. Then i talked to an alumni that was there watching the game who is now a sophomore in college, and she said they didn't beat SHC the 3 years she played varsity. So that's 7 years. I don't know what game you were at when they won. Maybe jv.

You're right, 24 had a good game, but they were leaving her alone to shoot wide open baseline jumpers, which was a bad idea in my opinion.

Not used to winning? They're 13-2. This was just about the seniors (Uyehara and Grizelj) not beating them in 4 years. You need to not take it personally.

Here's some numbers i heard about last night:
Sfhs 1st half fg 4-35
Sfhs had 17 @ half, 24 @ end of 3rd, and scored 24 in the 4th.

If sfhs coulda finished anything in the paint they win by 15.

You gotta play with the horses you have. Can't wait to see how 2-4 shapes up in the wcal.

Nothing you are saying is making any sense......Listen, I don't mind the debate and offering of opinions but let's get the facts STRAIT. Initially you said St Francis hasn't beat SHC in 7 years. What kind of math are you doing? That was what my response was geared towards. The last time St Francis beat SHC was in January of 2015. That's 4 years. How are you taking the years someone didn't win who's in college and adding it to the seniors who haven't won since they were freshman? Paige was on that team. So she hasn't beat SHC in 3 years not 4. Let's get the math right before we move forward. This is all public record.

Moving forward....Them being 13-2 does not mean they are used to winning. Being used to winning is a tradition. Traditionally they are not used to winning. Yes, they are 13-2 and picked higher than SHC which means that they are favored to win a home game against them.

Leaving her alone for wide open jumpers? That was a pick and roll play that they could not defend. I'm pretty sure no coaches game plan is to leave anyone open to shot especially after a players shows they can make the shot.

It's not personal for me at all. I don't have a horse in the race yet. I'm just a basketball fan.

Here are some numbers I seen last night. SHC shot 3 free throws the entire game, St Francis shot 22.

Don't quite understand how it could come back to bite them - they'll either win the next game against SHC or they won't . I would assume that SHC losing this game is enough motivation for the next time they meet.
If you don't understand how a player watching another team storm the court after a regular season win is fuel for the fire then you have never played this game.

BOD just beat SHC 63-50, and no celebration at all took place. SHC looked tired, like they left it all on the court last night.

BOD played well. I like the point guard! Tough loss for SHC playing late last night traveling back to the city late then having a 12pm game. no excuses though this is what playing a tough schedule is about!

We have to remember this is not the "No Fun League. IMO.....even the no fun league should loosen up and let folks enjoy the triumphs and small or large victories. After all, isn't it just a game? I'm not saying take it too far. Or to be openly disrespectful. Just be happy.

Because you are talented enough to hit the latest dance move, or turn a flip after scoring, that isn't excessive celebration. And it's not disrespectful.

Who's we? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is storming the court running to half court celebrating is uncalled for against a team that you are ranked higher than and picked ahead of in league. Again, just my opinion.

I watched both the SHC vs SI game and the SHC vs SF game. Funny because I thought SHC should have lost the SI game, they were very fortunate to pull out that game. This game vs SF was the opposite feeling to me. They gave the game away much like SI did. SHC was ahead the entire game and should have been able to pull this one out. So funny how things work themselves out like that. I didn’t have a problem with the way SF celebrated after the win, especially because of the fashion they came back to pull this one out that wasn’t going well for them. After losing to them 4 times last year, I’m sure they were both elated and also probably shocked they came back to win like that. Also their seniors played well. Love how Uyehara plays the game. Hope she gets a chance somewhere to play at the next level.

You are correct SHC should have lost that game to SI and the shoe was on the other foot last night. Every team except Mitty is young and has to learn how to win especially on the road in a tough league. Last years team is last years team. If the SHC team was the same team from last year and picked ahead of SF then yes I totally agree. If SF hit a buzzer beater, yes I totally agree. They pulled out the game and won a home game that they were supposed to win. I don't see the championship celebration for that but hey it's early in the year so we will revisit at the end.

If you don't understand how a player watching another team storm the court after a regular season win is fuel for the fire then you have never played this game.
So you're saying that if SF didn't storm the court last night, SHC would be less motivated in their next game?

Knowing Coach Russell I don't think what happens after the game is much of a concern to him. And from what I know of the SHC program - and I guarantee you I am familiar with their program, they don't and won't need to worry about SF's celebration.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun

That's because BOD doesn't play them every year and lose a minimum of 2 games a year for the last 4-7 years. It was a fun, close game. You are allowed to show emotion.

Relax people.

Nothing you are saying is making any sense......Listen, I don't mind the debate and offering of opinions but let's get the facts STRAIT. Initially you said St Francis hasn't beat SHC in 7 years. What kind of math are you doing? That was what my response was geared towards. The last time St Francis beat SHC was in January of 2015. That's 4 years. How are you taking the years someone didn't win who's in college and adding it to the seniors who haven't won since they were freshman? Paige was on that team. So she hasn't beat SHC in 3 years not 4. Let's get the math right before we move forward. This is all public record.

Moving forward....Them being 13-2 does not mean they are used to winning. Being used to winning is a tradition. Traditionally they are not used to winning. Yes, they are 13-2 and picked higher than SHC which means that they are favored to win a home game against them.

Leaving her alone for wide open jumpers? That was a pick and roll play that they could not defend. I'm pretty sure no coaches game plan is to leave anyone open to shot especially after a players shows they can make the shot.

It's not personal for me at all. I don't have a horse in the race yet. I'm just a basketball fan.

Here are some numbers I seen last night. SHC shot 3 free throws the entire game, St Francis shot 22.

Not personal for me either. So I was right. The 2019 never beat SHC. Is that better? Geez. You said they had with Harrigan. So you were wrong too.

The reason why Sfhs shot so many ft's is because they were getting to the basket. ShC was not. Why is it always the referee's fault and bias all the time? It's about how you play the game. SFHS was outhustling them on the offensive boards which resulted in more chances and more attempts. It's a simple game.

Tuttle will make a difference the next time. But you better hope sfhs shoots 20% again or it's going to be a sweep. Imo they are the better team.

Who's we? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and mine is storming the court running to half court celebrating is uncalled for against a team that you are ranked higher than and picked ahead of in league. Again, just my opinion.

They did not storm the court. They celebrated at their bench. You are such a homer. Lol

Shc was ranked higher going in on most sites, except for maybe maxpreps.

And you are entitled to your own opinion. I agree that shc should and will use that as fuel to try to beat them next time.

They did not storm the court. They celebrated at their bench. You are such a homer. Lol

Shc was ranked higher going in on most sites, except for maybe maxpreps.

And you are entitled to your own opinion. I agree that shc should and will use that as fuel to try to beat them next time.

Celebrating with their bench is celebrating on the bench. That wasn't the case. They all ran to the middle of the court and jumped up and down. Homer? Now let's keep it classy. I'm not calling you out your name and I would appreciate if you did the same. It's all a difference of opinion no need to name call.

Max preps is what most people go by so the other sites might not make to much of a difference. Either way cudos to them enjoy the win and let's revisit during Nor-Cal

Not personal for me either. So I was right. The 2019 never beat SHC. Is that better? Geez. You said they had with Harrigan. So you were wrong too.

The reason why Sfhs shot so many ft's is because they were getting to the basket. ShC was not. Why is it always the referee's fault and bias all the time? It's about how you play the game. SFHS was outhustling them on the offensive boards which resulted in more chances and more attempts. It's a simple game.

Tuttle will make a difference the next time. But you better hope sfhs shoots 20% again or it's going to be a sweep. Imo they are the better team.

Your killin me. Facts http://www.maxpreps.com/high-school...a)/girls-basketball-winter-14-15/schedule.htm

Let me know who the coach was the last time they beat SHC.....

I never said it was anyones fault I just gave you a stat line. There's no way possible that a high school girls team only fouls a team 3 times in a game. If you agree with that then we can't discuss basketball. i can show you numerous times Talo drove to the basket and was bumped and there was a no call. The game is on NFHS.

SF shot 20% for a reason.....

So you're saying that if SF didn't storm the court last night, SHC would be less motivated in their next game?

Knowing Coach Russell I don't think what happens after the game is much of a concern to him. And from what I know of the SHC program - and I guarantee you I am familiar with their program, they don't and won't need to worry about SF's celebration.

I never said that either. A loss is motivation but why give them more fuel for the fire? I am just as familiar with the program and I can guarantee you the opposite. Did you not see Russell point to the celebration during? I was there and seen it so yea...

I never said that either. A loss is motivation but why give them more fuel for the fire? I am just as familiar with the program and I can guarantee you the opposite. Did you not see Russell point to the celebration during? I was there and seen it so yea...
To answer your question, "why give them more fuel?" Because they are high school girls, whose coach I'm sure hyped this game to them, and were excited about the win. A very rare win for the program. SHC will beat them next time if they play better than SF, just as they'll beat Mitty if they play better. Being pissed about a "celebration' will have no bearing on the outcome, in my opinion. Making baskets and getting stops on defense will.

And just so I am upfront, since my daughter was a WCAL player, and Mission Rec teammate with all of the 2007/2008 SHC players, I pull for all of the WCAL teams., but especially SHC and Mitty...except when they play the school where I coach.

To answer your question, "why give them more fuel?" Because they are high school girls, whose coach I'm sure hyped this game to them, and were excited about the win. A very rare win for the program. SHC will beat them next time if they play better than SF, just as they'll beat Mitty if they play better. Being pissed about a "celebration' will have no bearing on the outcome, in my opinion. Making baskets and getting stops on defense will.

And just so I am upfront, since my daughter was a WCAL player, and Mission Rec teammate with all of the 2007/2008 SHC players, I pull for all of the WCAL teams., but especially SHC and Mitty...except when they play the school where I coach.

Correct they are high school girls who are excited which is why its up to the coach to help them understand how to expect to win and not get to high or low about a win or loss at the beginning of conference. I'm not here to question who you root for or question your motive. I'm just stating my opinion that I though the celebration was a bit much for the second conference game with a team that they might see 3 more times. Everyone has a preferred method that's just mine as a former player, ref and coach. Just as I'm sure you have your own.

Reactions: basketba11
The best way to not let teams celebrate is don't get beat by them. It is high school basketball. I am sure SHC celebrated when they won a D3 state championship and not the open.

For the record we are not against the celebration, just what game and under what circumstances one can celebrate. Congratulation to SF on a big win!

The best way to not let teams celebrate is don't get beat by them. It is high school basketball. I am sure SHC celebrated when they won a D3 state championship and not the open.

For the record we are not against the celebration, just what game and under what circumstances one can celebrate. Congratulation to SF on a big win!

Very true.....Key word CHAMPIONSHIP. Still confused on how it's a big win but ok

Your killin me. Facts http://www.maxpreps.com/high-school...a)/girls-basketball-winter-14-15/schedule.htm

Let me know who the coach was the last time they beat SHC.....

I never said it was anyones fault I just gave you a stat line. There's no way possible that a high school girls team only fouls a team 3 times in a game. If you agree with that then we can't discuss basketball. i can show you numerous times Talo drove to the basket and was bumped and there was a no call. The game is on NFHS.

SF shot 20% for a reason.....

We are not arguing who coached sfhs last time they won. I am telling you Paige and Mia never beat SHC in their sfhs careers. For those counting at home, That's 15/16, 16/17, 17/18, 18/19. So like i said in my original quote, 1st time these seniors won in the almost 4 years they've been there. Can you finally agree on that?

There were more than 3 fouls called against them. There were only 3 shooting fouls called against them. Sfhs went to the rack way more than shc. You can watch the tape if you want. Talo went hard at the end of the 4th when the game was 1 pt i think, tried to use her body to get the foul, but sfhs defense was playing d with their hands straight up and feet set. That's no foul. I still feel like they shot more than 6 free throws.

You can also watch the tape to see they celebrated near their bench. No way they were on their emblem at center court. That's crazy. You make it sound like TO posed on the star after his TD. Come on man. Looks like your more upset about it than anyone else is.

Sfhs missed wide open looks from in the paint and from three. Their two leading scorers went 5-27. That won't happen against shc again. I would be shocked if it did. But if it does happen, shc will win.

We are not arguing who coached sfhs last time they won. I am telling you Paige and Mia never beat SHC in their sfhs careers. For those counting at home, That's 15/16, 16/17, 17/18, 18/19. So like i said in my original quote, 1st time these seniors won in the almost 4 years they've been there. Can you finally agree on that?

There were more than 3 fouls called against them. There were only 3 shooting fouls called against them. Sfhs went to the rack way more than shc. You can watch the tape if you want. Talo went hard at the end of the 4th when the game was 1 pt i think, tried to use her body to get the foul, but sfhs defense was playing d with their hands straight up and feet set. That's no foul. I still feel like they shot more than 6 free throws.

You can also watch the tape to see they celebrated near their bench. No way they were on their emblem at center court. That's crazy. You make it sound like TO posed on the star after his TD. Come on man. Looks like your more upset about it than anyone else is.

Sfhs missed wide open looks from in the paint and from three. Their two leading scorers went 5-27. That won't happen against shc again. I would be shocked if it did. But if it does happen, shc will win.
Your original quote said 7 Yeas counting some player who was in college. Stop while your ahead.

Your original quote said 7 Yeas counting some player who was in college. Stop while your ahead.
Wow. Really? Actually my original quote said "about 7 years". So yes, i did my math wrong.

And you were also wrong by saying in your original retort that they won "a few years ago with Harrigan". It was 4 years ago. The entire point and big picture was this class never beat them.

Are you man enough to own up that you were wrong too?

Geeeeezzzzzz

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT