ADVERTISEMENT

Grant pacers

Sacchiefs

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2018
I'm so excited to be moving to the sfl this year and i wonder if any one has any info on them this year. I know last year was our first year not to make it to the playoffs in two plus decades. Work has been crazy so I haven't h

Reactions: concrete17
Ad a chance to check them out thus far. Btw I'm so sorry for the double post. I don't know how to explore this site yet. When I get some more free time I'll try to figure it out but for now any other info on my beloved g- Boyz would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Having Grant in the SFL will be great for the league. Grant will be adding 6 very physical and disciplined teams to their schedule. I think every team in the league will benefit. Grant will be better prepared come playoff time.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Having Grant in the SFL will be great for the league. Grant will be adding 6 very physical and disciplined teams to their schedule. I think every team in the league will benefit. Grant will be better prepared come playoff time.
Grant, moving to the SFL will be like moving from one black and blue league to the other...Delta League was not kind to the Pacers as the pacers went 2-5 in league play and 4-6 for the season...Grant was never shut out, but every league game was a battle. except for the 63-21 beating..The 2018 season may see a change in Pacer direction...

I agree fellas, with both of you! The delta league and sfl are grinder leagues. I see the delta (in my opinion) as athletic and fast and the sfl as physical and disciplined, give or take a few athletes or schools that can easily cross over to the other league and still fit it/be successful. What surprised me most the past few years in the delta was how much talent the city of elk Grove has. plus add in Sheldon with the addition of coach c . And Jesuit. The delta league was tough and only getting tougher. I expect the same in the sfl with each week being a close game were one mistake can cost you a game. Side note,,,Maybe I'm being selfish but I sure wish Nevada union stayed in the sfl(no disrespect intended towards Whitney). I loved playing them so much I still watch my old tapes from time to time, even the ones we lost. Al will have his hands full this year but so will the other sfl coaches. I can't wait

Grant, moving to the SFL will be like moving from one black and blue league to the other...Delta League was not kind to the Pacers as the pacers went 2-5 in league play and 4-6 for the season...Grant was never shut out, but every league game was a battle. except for the 63-21 beating..The 2018 season may see a change in Pacer direction...

Last year was an experiment they tried to go a new direction the long time linebacker coach was the oc. If you watched them play you couldn’t point to more than 2 teams that could’ve fielded more size and talent but their offense was hard to watched they nearly beat Jesuit with a 1 game starting 4th string qb. Everything they did to change the offense was for a qb that ended up transferring no qb that played after that was a passer they should be better this year with a better grasp of the spread offense in year 2. Going from delta to sfl they’ll face better price grams but I believe the delta has better athletes that also run more trickier offense that’ll test grants biggest problem discipline!! What you see is what you get with grant man press cover 1/0 blitzing backer if you got the players to beat the 1 on 1 battles then you’ll have success if not it’ll be a long day. If their offense is the same as last year a off man blitzing defense could stop 90% of what they do as their only answer will be fade routes. Can’t play checkers in a chess match you’ll see they aren’t lacking talent like many would believe maybe missing nfl talent but not many teams have that yearly in nor cal

I agree delta dodger. It was tough for me to watch them play last year. The QB position was a big set back with CE jr leaving, esp with all the success his dad had at grant. I was hoping to finally open up the o. Lots of talent ever year so I expect they will bounce back. Btw I like new the offensive scheme. Pretty much smash mouth football which is a grant staple but in a spread look. Teams will continue to crowd the line of scrimmage, which will back fire at some point in the game esp if they mix in some well timed pass plays. Quick screens to get those athletes in space or do like in the old days, just throw it up and see who wants it more. If the DB makes a play I'm okay with that, good play and treat it like a punt. Just don't hold the ball waiting for someone to come open before you toss it, which I feel was a major problem whoever played the QB position. Too many sacks or late throws that allowed beat DB's to recover. I know we didn't have a true QB last year which hurt but I'm hoping with a year to prepare, we can see some quick throws when teams stack the box. this will make teams play honest and to me if teams have to play us honest,, I love our chances esp with all that beef up front creating running lanes.

Reactions: Deltadodger
I agree delta dodger. It was tough for me to watch them play last year. The QB position was a big set back with CE jr leaving, esp with all the success his dad had at grant. I was hoping to finally open up the o. Lots of talent ever year so I expect they will bounce back. Btw I like new the offensive scheme. Pretty much smash mouth football which is a grant staple but in a spread look. Teams will continue to crowd the line of scrimmage, which will back fire at some point in the game esp if they mix in some well timed pass plays. Quick screens to get those athletes in space or do like in the old days, just throw it up and see who wants it more. If the DB makes a play I'm okay with that, good play and treat it like a punt. Just don't hold the ball waiting for someone to come open before you toss it, which I feel was a major problem whoever played the QB position. Too many sacks or late throws that allowed beat DB's to recover. I know we didn't have a true QB last year which hurt but I'm hoping with a year to prepare, we can see some quick throws when teams stack the box. this will make teams play honest and to me if teams have to play us honest,, I love our chances esp with all that beef up front creating running lanes.

I watched them play Sheldon they should mimic them they threw short timed passes it was a good way to keep grant honest but like said last year any year grant has a decent qb they almost always win a ring. The record won’t show how much talent they had the past 2 years as vanilla as their offense and defenses are teams still struggle against them they nearly beat Jesuit with a junior qb who really was their 4th option. They’ll struggle with folsom this year but don’t be shocked if moving forward folsom loses to grant regularly. This years match up I’d be shocked if this folsom team doesn’t win by atleast 3 tds this years folsom team could be the best they’ll every put together

Grant moved to the Spread Offense? Ouch Look out...I will be checking on them...thanks for the info fellas

Grant moved to the Spread Offense? Ouch Look out...I will be checking on them...thanks for the info fellas

It’s not well ran. It’s literally their old offense but from shot gun they still have attached tight ends with off set full backs and the they still run it up the middle to the obvious side. No zone reads no zone option no screen plays. They still huddle. no uptempo. I’ve seen youth programs with a better grasp of the spread offense than what I seen grant do last year

Delta,, Ive seen the folsom offense and most will agree that they are talented at the skill position with weapons everywhere. i did say everywhere, right? I mean Everywhere! But hey,,,, so will grant! The only question again will be is at the qb position, which is huge factor(as for all teams). As talented as the folsom skill positions are, honestly that's doesnt concern me, minus the qb position. The grant db's will not be intimidated or scared or play off. Like sacramento they will challenge the recievers on the line of scrimmage and be physical, taking away the screen plays that give folsom big chunks of yards which those receivers usually turn into 6 points. Containing the qb however does concern me. i believe we get tons of pressure on him, but can we prevent him from leaving the pocket and making the big play? Im not sure. We like to come at the qb position with relentless pressure and if you over pursue, i think he's good enough to evade and make you pay. I saw their qb do this a number of times last year. On the flip side this also tells me there are cracks in the o line that teams have been able to expose and flush him out of the pocket. Contain the pocket and force him to throw timing patterns all game. The kid has a good arm dont get me wrong, i saw plenty of accurate balls, short and deep. The receivers will obviously make some big plays, but crashing the pocket will hopefully prevent/eliminate the double moves they destroy teams with that lead to 80 yard td's throws. I see it as a close game this year. Folsom defense has struggled against teams that are able to establish the run and mix in a few play action passes. If i had to call it today id say it will be closer than 3 td's. More like 33-27 either way. Just my humble opinion

Grant only won 2 games in the Delta last year (PG and Davis) and finished 4-6 overall. A fifth win would have landed them in playoffs, but they could not get it done. The playoffs will be different this year as the qualification is based on Calpreps ranking (and CBEDS).

I can only laugh when I read how easy it is to game plan Folsom. And that might be part of the problem if Grant fans don't understand the differences between Folsom and Grant are deeper than formations or running the right plays or moving the right guy to QB. One team is coming off an undefeated season and state championship and is returning most of their roster and the the other team had to get a 4th win from Burbank and Capital Christian and did not even make the playoffs. But you see the game as a 'toss-up'? That seems delusional to me. IMO Grant should focus on being competitive in the SFL - and beating Rocklin (who beat them last year), Del Oro, Oak Ridge and Granite Bay.

Folsom will line-up a team where just about every skill player has been offered a scholarship. Games are not won with scholarships, but they are an indicator that Folsom is loaded. Or maybe go back and look at the last time Folsom and Grant played. Complete blow-out.

I think what he is saying is that Grant year in and year out is the most talented team in our section. Games are not won in shorts and shirts but IMO, Grant has the most talent in Sac almost every year. I think he was also stating that sub-par QB play lead to an extremly talented team under-acheving in the win-loss dept.

Does anyone think that if Grant had Folsom's QB instead of the 5 QBs they were forced to play that Grant would have went 4-6 last year?

You would be hard-pressed to find a coach that thinks his team is as talented as any Grant team. Folsom has that argument this year (and recent) at some of their skill spots and most important at QB. Folsom is very well coached and runs a great program that devlops their players as good as anyone in our section.

Last edited:
if GHS was to get Q involved in run game, with their stable of RBs that's all they need, pound da rock and throw in quick screens and its off to da races!

Grant only won 2 games in the Delta last year (PG and Davis) and finished 4-6 overall. A fifth win would have landed them in playoffs, but they could not get it done. The playoffs will be different this year as the qualification is based on Calpreps ranking (and CBEDS).

I can only laugh when I read how easy it is to game plan Folsom. And that might be part of the problem if Grant fans don't understand the differences between Folsom and Grant are deeper than formations or running the right plays or moving the right guy to QB. One team is coming off an undefeated season and state championship and is returning most of their roster and the the other team had to get a 4th win from Burbank and Capital Christian and did not even make the playoffs. But you see the game as a 'toss-up'? That seems delusional to me. IMO Grant should focus on being competitive in the SFL - and beating Rocklin (who beat them last year), Del Oro, Oak Ridge and Granite Bay.

Folsom will line-up a team where just about every skill player has been offered a scholarship. Games are not won with scholarships, but they are an indicator that Folsom is loaded. Or maybe go back and look at the last time Folsom and Grant played. Complete blow-out.

Any given year grant will have more talent that the sac high team that beat folsom and gave them a scare last year like I stated before if you look at box scores you’d think grant and Folsom are on two different levels but grant had a lot of talent last year but they had a 10 year DEFENSIVE POSITION coach running the offense show me another team that can do that and still win they played with multiple qbs. The sfl is tough but it grant will play well against every team in my opinion the delta league has better athletes with better schemes that complicate what grant likes to do. Yes they lost to rocklin last year but they also beat rocklin the year before and blew granite bays doors off and they did get blown out by folsoms best team ever that series is tied 2-2. I don’t think folsom will have a problem beating grant this year but you’re wrong if you think every year folsom will put out more talented teams than grant every year. Folsoms coaching is by far on a different level than grants. You will finally get a chance to see why many fans want new coaches at grant

I think what he is saying is that Grant year in and year out is the most talented team in our section. Games are not won in shorts and shirts but IMO, Grant has the most talent in Sac almost every year. I think he was also stating that sub-par QB play lead to an extremly talented team under-acheving in the win-loss dept.

Does anyone think that if Grant had Folsom's QB instead of the 5 QBs they were forced to play that Grant would have went 4-6 last year?

You would be hard-pressed to find a coach that thinks his team is as talented as any Grant team. Folsom has that argument this year (and recent) at some of their skill spots and most important at QB. Folsom is very well coached and runs a great program that devlops their players as good as anyone in our section.

Spot on post!! People only see the box scores and assume grant fell off it’s not a coincidence that whenever grant has a qb that they trust they win a section title. Keep in mind people that they don’t even have a qb coach.

Reactions: Renegade4Life
Feedback,,, you make some valid points inregards to grants overall record and struggles last year. However I still strongly believe the skill positions for both teams are equal, minus the qb position. Most people wouldnt know much about the nagata brothers if they didnt have a qb to get them the ball. Hence the reason why you and others dont know much about the always talented grant receivers. Trust me, if folsom where to grab some of those skilled players from the del paso heights area, they to would also be unstoppable in the folsom system and you would again feel loaded with talent. Btw grant and folsom are 2-2 against each other with all 4 games ending in blow-outs. Even with grant at a 4-6 record last year and folsom at 16-0, id bet coach Richardson isnt as confident as you are in getting a win. He knows what grant brings to the table and will not under estimate us. Outside of de la salle and wanting to beat a so-cal squad, coach Richardson has that grant game circled on his calendar as a must win!!

Feedback,,, you make some valid points inregards to grants overall record and struggles last year. However I still strongly believe the skill positions for both teams are equal, minus the qb position. Most people wouldnt know much about the nagata brothers if they didnt have a qb to get them the ball. Hence the reason why you and others dont know much about the always talented grant receivers. Trust me, if folsom where to grab some of those skilled players from the del paso heights area, they to would also be unstoppable in the folsom system and you would again feel loaded with talent. Btw grant and folsom are 2-2 against each other with all 4 games ending in blow-outs. Even with grant at a 4-6 record last year and folsom at 16-0, id bet coach Richardson isnt as confident as you are in getting a win. He knows what grant brings to the table and will not under estimate us. Outside of de la salle and wanting to beat a so-cal squad, coach Richardson has that grant game circled on his calendar as a must win!!

Grant doesn’t have a wr on the caliber of the big 6’4 stud but they pretty much will field pretty equal talent everywhere else. Last year grant had two halfbacks that should’ve been slot WRs who could’ve started as Folsom slot WRs. Their defense was pretty good show me another team that plays cover 1 as much as grant does. They put a lot of pressure on their players. Think about this in 30 years when have you ever said “ grant won because of coaching”

ya'll make good points on GHS, see them bein in the hunt, got what they need to beat whitney, rocklin, del oro and granite bay, who knows maybe oak ridge, definite possible top 4 team in sfl for playoff spot

Hey delta,, yeah no 6-4 stud but I do like pw jr at 6-2. The kid can play and with his dad's NFL experience along with being coached by urban myers, I'd like to think he's passed along some good tips and knowledge to his son. With a good QB I'd like to see what his potential could be on the offensive side. With no QB he may transition more to being a db. Curious,, what are your thoughts on him?

ya'll make good points on GHS, see them bein in the hunt, got what they need to beat whitney, rocklin, del oro and granite bay, who knows maybe oak ridge, definite possible top 4 team in sfl for playoff spot

Should be fun to see how they handle the week to week of the SFL. Can't wait to come to GHS this season. They'll be a tough test for all the teams.

Don't mean to be disrespectful to the Delta league supporters but the SFL is a tougher league with better teams, even though they have fewer athletes.

Should be fun to see how they handle the week to week of the SFL. Can't wait to come to GHS this season. They'll be a tough test for all the teams.

Don't mean to be disrespectful to the Delta league supporters but the SFL is a tougher league with better teams, even though they have fewer athletes.

Tougher league forsure I believe what the sfl teams like to do will play better into grants strength for 20 years certain offensive schemes that tested grants eye discipline had good success. My opinion is the delta league had 3 teams running wing t or veer with better athletes. Granite bay runs a decent version of the triple option but grant and granite bay is very familiar with each other. Sfl overall will be a good move for grant I wouldn’t be shocked if they had better success in the sfl than delta. If my memory is correct I believe folsom also struggled when they played in that league

Ah yes. Being in the Delta league is the reason that Grant only won 4 games last year. If only they had been in the SFL, they could have challenged Folsom and Oak Ridge for the league title. Brilliant.

The narrative that the Delta has the better athletes - where is the data to support that statement? scholarships? stats? SPARQ scores?

Setting aside the opinion that the Delta has better athletes, where is the data that shows that 'having better athletes' translated to on-field success? did you loook at head-to-head games between the SFL and Delta?

It is pretty easy to look up whether Folsom struggled in Delta (they did not). Would you say that Franklin (EG) has better athletes than Folsom? They have played many, many times since Franklin opened. Look to see how many wins they have vs. Folsom. From way back - before Folsom got it going.

Should we place an asterisk next to the 'superior athletes' theory? Or is the Sac-Folsom game from 2 years ago the only proof we need?

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
Very small sample size yet revealing nonetheless. In the ‘12 Sac vs EB ASG, Sac’s Alberghini went against EB’s Bergman/Kravitz. With only four practice days and highly varied schemes to filter out, coaching is paramount. The EB guys took a QB with less than 250 atts in his HS career and outplayed Sacs (Folsom’s T Trosin) new CA state record holder for atts/yds. Remarkable on several fronts, especially as the EB squad had much fewer offers.

Grant and Burbank staff's coached Defense and Del Oro and others called Offense for those All Star games.

Grant and Burbank staff's coached Defense and Del Oro and others called Offense for those All Star games.
That’s good to know Stark if indeed Alberghini did not run O (2011 game.). If you were there it was relentless LB blitzing by Sac and the EB QB got clocked (with +15) as he did less pocket bailing like Trosin. The other EB QB- Eddie Heard, BSB player too- rolled his ankle in his first series trying to escape a goal line safety from the aforementioned blitzing. With no fullbacks either side it was dump a screen or run like crazy. Demariay Drew won his Cal scholly in that game.

Ah yes. Being in the Delta league is the reason that Grant only won 4 games last year. If only they had been in the SFL, they could have challenged Folsom and Oak Ridge for the league title. Brilliant.

The narrative that the Delta has the better athletes - where is the data to support that statement? scholarships? stats? SPARQ scores?

Setting aside the opinion that the Delta has better athletes, where is the data that shows that 'having better athletes' translated to on-field success? did you loook at head-to-head games between the SFL and Delta?

It is pretty easy to look up whether Folsom struggled in Delta (they did not). Would you say that Franklin (EG) has better athletes than Folsom? They have played many, many times since Franklin opened. Look to see how many wins they have vs. Folsom. From way back - before Folsom got it going.

Should we place an asterisk next to the 'superior athletes' theory? Or is the Sac-Folsom game from 2 years ago the only proof we need?

Eyeball test says Elk Grove/ South Sacramento always had more athletes than the foothills coaching and personnel is totally different the better programs are in the sfl. You could look at Folsom prior to the 2010 season and see how competitive their league was before the move to sfl. Some of folsom better skill positions have came from the Elk Grove/ South Sacramento Area no sfl teams were able to match up with them they play sac high with similar athletes with a similar scheme and for once we seen folsom look like evenly matched

Eyeball test says Elk Grove/ South Sacramento always had more athletes than the foothills coaching and personnel is totally different the better programs are in the sfl. You could look at Folsom prior to the 2010 season and see how competitive their league was before the move to sfl. Some of folsom better skill positions have came from the Elk Grove/ South Sacramento Area no sfl teams were able to match up with them they play sac high with similar athletes with a similar scheme and for once we seen folsom look like evenly matched
Recent memory tells me that Rocklin played Sac High, with one of their better teams couple years ago, on a Saturday at Sac High and never struggled.....RHS also beat GHS last season, lost by 1 very late in the game year before and beat GHS in the section title game in 2009....Del Oro beat a really good EG team in the sections, WHS knocked a really good CO team off few years ago. Other than Sac high pulling one off on Folsom.....the SFL has had their way when it counted...

Last edited:
Recent memory tells me that Rocklin played Sac High, with one of their better teams couple years ago, on a Saturday at Sac High and never struggled.....RHS also beat GHS last season, lost by 1 very late in the game year before and beat GHS in the section title game in 2009....Del Oro beat a really good EG team in the sections, WHS knocked a really good CO team off few years ago. Other than Sac high pulling one off on Folsom.....the SFL has had their way when it counted...

I said better athletes not teams which many would agree. Better coaches with better programs are in the sfl for sure you’ll will see a heavy dose of grant moving forward and time will tell if grant is better off in the sfl or delta me personally I believe they’ll do better in the new league

The sfl has been the premier league in the sac area for several plus years. To me there's no dispute. With regards to athletes, there is no comparison, the delta is King over the sfl. However the sfl does not lack there fair share of pure gifted athletes. The sfl boils down to much better coaching and team ball. That seems obvious to me based on championship rings and teams still consistently playing late in Nov/Dec. When the delta had Folsom and pleasant Grove, those were epic games with pg controlling the series. Coaching was the difference. Athletes everywhere with a good coach in coach c! Pg was legit and a force to reckon with. With the departure of coach c from pg, Folsom benefited, especially in regards to acquiring more talent. I do not reference any other delta teams from that era mainly because Folsom regularly out coached everyone else with the exception of coach c.

Reactions: RidgeRider
The sfl has been the premier league in the sac area for several plus years. To me there's no dispute. With regards to athletes, there is no comparison, the delta is King over the sfl. However the sfl does not lack there fair share of pure gifted athletes. The sfl boils down to much better coaching and team ball. That seems obvious to me based on championship rings and teams still consistently playing late in Nov/Dec. When the delta had Folsom and pleasant Grove, those were epic games with pg controlling the series. Coaching was the difference. Athletes everywhere with a good coach in coach c! Pg was legit and a force to reckon with. With the departure of coach c from pg, Folsom benefited, especially in regards to acquiring more talent. I do not reference any other delta teams from that era mainly because Folsom regularly out coached everyone else with the exception of coach c.

Agreed sfl has great athletes and kids with good size that are coachable

The athlete disparity between the two leagues isn't that big. Both leagues have had their share of top prospects/athletes. Difference in league boils down to the coaching and the feeder programs.

Reactions: kpcarter2000
Hey streak,, thanks for chiming in. I definitely agree with you on the coaching and feeder programs. If the coaching was on par between the two leagues (from top to bottom) I believe you would see more student-athletes from the delta getting a free education at the next level. Too much talent not being coached up, put in the right position, etc. Honestly walk around some of these delta league campuses. They got tons of kids who aren't even on the field playing ball but dominate some of the kids on the field that get scholarship offers when they play a pick up game. Its pretty unreal. Because of the coaching disparity I believe we will see more student-athletes from these youth feeder programs in south sac/elk grove/dph filter to other schools with better coaching(I know it already being done, but on a whole new level)... An education at the next level costs way too much money now a days for parents and their student-athletes to not explore there options.

Fascinating post Sac. Let me see if I can summarize:
1. Delta League scholarships are being lost lost because of poor coaching.
2. Great athletes are all over Delta League schools, but they are playing pick-up games instead of playing for their teams.
3. The scholarship athletes are getting dominated in pickup games by the non-football players
4. You are predicting a mass exodus of kids from EG area to surrounding schools with better coaching.

Do you have evidence or support for any of these feelings/opinions? I would suggest that literally none of this is true.

Hey feedback,,,
This form is designed for all of us to express our point of view-whether popular or not. Im sure some, maybe even most " feedback" will disagree. I am okay with that. But I've come to understand that most people are opinionated and typically don't budge on there view, so im not concerned with trying to change there perception. So To answer your question,,, yes I strongly believe in all 4 points that's you have summed up with the exception of a mass Exodus. More like a gradual switch to your desired school based on whatever the student/parents needs/preferences are. I think there is a certain sfl school that is paving the way and showing the blue prints on how to do it. Pick a team that fits the scheme you like and rent a room in the area before you enter hs. I believe there was a story in the sacbee about it. I don't disagree with this at all. I'm pro choice and support student-athletes moving on to college while parents get to save money and support there kids dreams. It's been done and I expect other parents and students will follow. I'm an ex athlete and I know I would. Why play for a teacher/coach that doesn't know x's and O's like coach x at school x. A hs diploma isn't that hard to earn so going to another school to increase my chances at a college degree is extremely appealing. Just my opinion. For the record the coaching in the delta is not bad, I just feel some of the sfl coaches get more out of there players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT