ADVERTISEMENT

Grant pacers

Nobody knows whats going on when you consider Sacchief's "top 3 in SFL" and the once-removed opponent wins, only Folsom has "barely" played anyone who has played anyone!

Folsom(2-1)*(4-4 with the 4 opponent wins vs teams combined 6-7)
-delasalle(3-0) -- 3 wins vs teams 5-3
-jesuit(0-2)+ -- no wins
-antelope(1-2)+ -- 1 win vs team 1-2

Oak ridge(3-0)*(2-5 with the 2 opponent wins vs teams combined 1-7)
-lincoln(1-1) -- 1 win vs team 1-2
-Vacaville(1-2) -- 1 win vs team 0-3
-reed,nv(0-2) -- no wins

Del Oro(3-0)*(3-5 with the 3 opponent wins vs teams combined 0-11)
-Amador Valley (2-1) -- 2 wins vs teams 0-6
-oak grove(0-2)+ -- no wins
-windsor(1-2)+ -- 1 win vs team 0-3

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Nobody knows whats going on when you consider Sacchief's "top 3 in SFL" and the once-removed opponent wins, only Folsom has "barely" played anyone who has played anyone!

Folsom(2-1)*(4-4 with the 4 opponent wins vs teams combined 6-7)
-delasalle(3-0) -- 3 wins vs teams 5-3
-jesuit(0-2)+ -- no wins
-antelope(1-2)+ -- 1 win vs team 1-2

Oak ridge(3-0)*(2-5 with the 2 opponent wins vs teams combined 1-7)
-lincoln(1-1) -- 1 win vs team 1-2
-Vacaville(1-2) -- 1 win vs team 0-3
-reed,nv(0-2) -- no wins

Del Oro(3-0)*(3-5 with the 3 opponent wins vs teams combined 0-11)
-Amador Valley (2-1) -- 2 wins vs teams 0-6
-oak grove(0-2)+ -- no wins
-windsor(1-2)+ -- 1 win vs team 0-3

Kickingtee18,,, good info. Thx for taking the time to look up that up. The sfl should be extremely interesting this year and i look forward to seeing how all the teams pan out, top to bottom.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
Hold on fellas,, hoooooooold on! Lets not get to ahead of ourselves about this sfl race or grinder as some say. Labeling the champ after 3 games plus dividing up the sfl into two seperate groups, the top tier teams and bottom tier teams? We've all seen a few games and have a lil grasp of what teams seem to be clicking on all cylinders and which teams need fine tuning or a major overhaul. Seems that some feel the top tier teams consist of, folsom, oak ridge, and del oro. Followed by granite bay, rocklin, whitney, and grant all in the bottom tier. Could easily be true at the end of the year. Side note; Last night when i left the grant game i was truly disappointed in the outcome, as i was the previuos week against central. The qb play must improve and im hopeful it will because the kid is a good athlete with a strong arm. Poster JM pointed out and was right, capital christian is good this year and to me i wouldnt be suprised if they finish the regular season undefeated as will central. Two good teams that exposed some of the things we need to work on before league. While thinking about the game and the supposedly sfl tier scale, I took a few minutes today to take a look at our pre season numbers and compared them to other sfl teams. I was Surprised to discover that our opponents overall win/loss record or sos, along with whitney and granite bay, was stronger than the other teams (solely based on w/l record). Grant and del oro are the only two teams in the league with a win over a team with a winning record(2-1davis and 2-1amador valley) followed by oak ridge with a win over 1-1 lincoln. No bragging rights with any of those wins or any other win by a signal team in the entire sfl. In fact as a league we lost all the marquee match ups thus far. Rocklin and folsom have a shot to make a statement this weekend against some good teams(good luck fellas), but if not the league just isnt as strong as some feel. Come league time i wouldnt be suprised to see two or three of the "so called bottom tier teams" on top when its all said and done.

"So called bottom tier teams"
Granite bay(1-2)*(5-2)
-monte vista(3-0)
-damonte rnch(2-0)
-jesuit(0-2)+

Rocklin(1-2)*(4-4)
-antelope(1-2)
-franklin(1-2)+
-Damonte ranch(2-0)

Whitney(0-2)*(6-0)
-Placer(3-0)
-Central(3-0)
-bye

Grant(1-2)*(8-1)
-Davis(2-1)+
-Central(3-0)
-capital christain(3-0)

"So called top tier teams"
Folsom(2-1)*(4-4)
-delasalle(3-0)
-jesuit(0-2)+
-antelope(1-2)+

Oak ridge(3-0)*(2-5)
-lincoln(1-1)+
-Vacaville(1-2)+
-reed,nv(0-2)+

Del Oro(3-0)*(3-5)
-Amador valley(2-1)+
-oak grove(0-2)+
-windsor(1-2)+

Key bar
*( ) Opponents win/loss record
+ Team win

I thought about this when looking for some positives for this year outside of folsom playing dls grant has played the better teams. Capital Christians looks the part this year. I’m a fan of what they have going I think Sacramento needs a great private school and I see capital being that in a couple years. Grant is losing the mental battle they are truly beating themselves

Delta.... I agree with you about Capital. Coach Taylor played a lot of good teams in the preseason while at del Oro. I'm sure that helped draw some student-athletes in the surrounding area to his team that may have opted for a different school. If coach Taylor continues this trend I'm sure he will draw the talent he needs to make capital into a national power or at least make them relevant on the national scene. With the amount of talent in the sac area, I don't think it will take long to get there.

Delta.... I agree with you about Capital. Coach Taylor played a lot of good teams in the preseason while at del Oro. I'm sure that helped draw some student-athletes in the surrounding area to his team that may have opted for a different school. If coach Taylor continues this trend I'm sure he will draw the talent he needs to make capital into a national power or at least make them relevant on the national scene. With the amount of talent in the sac area, I don't think it will take long to get there.
Coach T played teams far out of his league in preseason (Bishop Gorman, DLS, Helix). He took lumps early and his W-L record would be much better had he played who they play today (Windsor, Oak Grove). But it prepared them for playoffs and won them a lot of big section and norcal final games. He is doing the same at Capital now.

Coach T played teams far out of his league in preseason (Bishop Gorman, DLS, Helix). He took lumps early and his W-L record would be much better had he played who they play today (Windsor, Oak Grove). But it prepared them for playoffs and won them a lot of big section and norcal final games. He is doing the same at Capital now.

Their numerous losses combined with low enrollment, placed them in lower tier playoffs. And that is where Del Oro had success in the playoffs (D2 and below). Some may like to think that getting their butts kicked by much, much better teams gave them some type of advantage whey they played the mediocre lower-tier playoff teams, but there is only anecdotal evidence that is true. It could logically be argued that these brutal losses had zero benefit, exposed them to injury and artificially deflated their record. If you used their games vs. Folsom as a measurement of the benefit of playing these top teams in the pre-season, it is plain that there was no benefit (as measured by their repeated blow-out losses). But since DO has not had any success with the real D1 playoff teams, we will never really know.

Since the SJS relied so heavily on enrollment in prior years to place playoff teams, there was a significant benefit to being a good team with low enrollment. That may change slightly in 2018 with the move to a enrollment and ranking placement.

But since DO has not had any success with the real D1 playoff teams, we will never really know.
Their losses didn't place them in D2 or below, it was their enrollment, so losing early didn't matter. They are not a D1 school, they just happen to be in a league that has D1 teams (by enrollment). Beating Folsom in the regular season would have been akin to beating DLS in the preseason, odds are not good whether its August or October.

There was a significant benefit to being a good team with low enrollment.
When playoffs rolled around, they were "a good team with low enrollment" because they played up early and were better for it versus the other low enrollment teams more worried about the W and playing far easier schedules.

Feedback1 and kickingtee18

You both have a good argument and make valid points. Both folsom and del oro have a very different approach to scheduling and how it prepares their team for league and the playoffs. i cant argue with either of them, mainly because they both have experienced a lot success under their preferred approach. Personally i like it when our local boys play teams out of area and especially when they play out of state opponents. Win, lose, or draw i like to compare sac football to other areas of the country.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
Both folsom and del oro have a very different approach to scheduling and how it prepares their team for league and the playoffs.
"Had" a different approach. Folsom is now playing up (Chaminade and DLS), Del Oro playing down (Windsor, Amador Valley). Interested to see how it plays out in league and playoffs. And yes, the out of region games are a lot more interesting to follow.

Their losses didn't place them in D2 or below, it was their enrollment, so losing early didn't matter. They are not a D1 school, they just happen to be in a league that has D1 teams (by enrollment). Beating Folsom in the regular season would have been akin to beating DLS in the preseason, odds are not good whether its August or October.

We are saying something similar. But you have it reversed. DO is in a D1 league so they are a D1 team. Period. There is no such thing as divisions by enrollment. There are no formal enrollment thresholds that place a team in one division vs. another. What we had under the OLD playoff system is teams were ranked by enrollment AFTER the playoff teams were determined. So the ranking/enrollment is not absolute, but it was relative to the other teams making the playoffs. A team could land in D1, D2, or D3 depending on the other qualifying teams and their enrollment. So we cannot say DO is a D2 team (by enrollment). The only absolute that exists is to say that every SFL team is a D1 team (for example). If a school's enrollment drops them down, then they are a D1 team playing in a D2 or D3 playoff bracket. This is the way SJS brackets work. Some teams play up, some play down and others play at their division.

If DO had beat Folsom - they would have been a D1 team playing in a D1 playoff bracket without enrollment being a factor. Look at St. Marys. They have a much lower enrollment than DO (930 vs. 1743), but they win their league and play in the D1 playoffs. They are also a D1 team. Would you say that St. Mary's is a D3 team? That is where they would place in the playoffs if they did not win their league.

Reactions: cashisking18
DO is in a D1 league so they are a D1 team. Period.
Yet, they will most likely play in the D2 playoffs. Reality check: DO is neither a D1 or D2 until the regular season is over. The league may be labeled D1, and the league champion plays in D1 bracket, but doesn't mean members will absolutely end up in the D1 playoffs. Put it another way, can you define a D1 vs D2 team prior to the playoffs now based on the SJS definitions?

Would you say that St. Mary's is a D3 team? That is where they would place in the playoffs if they did not win their league.
Exactly, sounds like you are getting it because St. Mary's is not a D1 caliber school.

Yet, they will most likely play in the D2 playoffs. Reality check: DO is neither a D1 or D2 until the regular season is over. The league may be labeled D1, and the league champion plays in D1 bracket, but doesn't mean members will absolutely end up in the D1 playoffs. Put it another way, can you define a D1 vs D2 team prior to the playoffs now based on the SJS definitions?

Exactly, sounds like you are getting it because St. Mary's is not a D1 caliber school.
Okay this is my understanding of playoff divisions. St Mary is one of the teams that have been pushed up. They can play no lower than D2 Christian Brothers can play no lower than D3 Central Catholic under continued success rule has to play D2. Oakdale was on the line for continued success rule being pushed up to D2 like Central if they had won section last year. Two years ago there were a couple of teams that had higher enrollment than Oakdale in D4. But Oakdale plays in D3-4 league if you win that league you have to play D3. DelOro was pushed up to no lower than D2 because of continued success rule. Now I think they are enrollment wise a D2 team anyway. That's why Placer if they win league will play D3 even though they are D4 enrollment wise. I will ask Will DeBoard he is a friend and works for SJS so he will know for sure. I'm thinking by the rules I pointed out both Capital Christian and Place will be placed in D3 because of league championships. If Oakdale wins VOL they play D3. If they don't win league ( with Oakdale down this year an CC playing well) they can play D4. Now Merzon plays for VOL championships. Anything after that is just icing on the cake. Those are his words. But I think he really want to win it all every year!

Yes, we can state with certainty which divisions schools are in. Their placement in a league - and the league placement in a division defines their division. Every SFL team is a D1 team. Semantics aside, you may wish it to be different, but facts do not care about your feelings.

Which playoff brackets the football team plays in is decided after the season is complete. And only after considering the relative enrollment of the other playoff qualifying teams. That activity does not change their division assignment. For the football team or the school. They are a D1 team playing in a different playoff bracket. The section recognizes league placement within divisions (for all sports). And they refer to those assignments in their bylaws (they do not refer to the playoff bracket placement of the varsity football team as defining which division the SCHOOL belongs to).

In the same way, you cannot say that River City is a D1 team. They played in the D1 playoffs last year. But they were in a D4 league. They were a D4 team that played in the D1 playoff bracket. Their placement in the D1 bracket did not represent their competitiveness.

For some reason the SJS is stuck on enrollment as a primary factor in placing teams, but will use Calpreps to rank teams within a division (in 2018). Enrollment seems to be at best a general indicator of relative strength. Calpreps or power rankings would be a much more accurate measure of where to place teams.

Reactions: smashmouthrick
Varsity football team playoff bracket assignment DOES NOT EQUAL school division assignment. And. School division assignment DOES NOT EQUAL varsity football team playoff bracket assignment.

Tough concept, I know. Everyone please give your opinions of the way you think it should be.

Or how about - Accept reality on reality's terms?

Yes, we can state with certainty which divisions schools are in. Their placement in a league - and the league placement in a division defines their division. Every SFL team is a D1 team. Semantics aside, you may wish it to be different, but facts do not care about your feelings.

Which playoff brackets the football team plays in is decided after the season is complete. And only after considering the relative enrollment of the other playoff qualifying teams. That activity does not change their division assignment. For the football team or the school. They are a D1 team playing in a different playoff bracket. The section recognizes league placement within divisions (for all sports). And they refer to those assignments in their bylaws (they do not refer to the playoff bracket placement of the varsity football team as defining which division the SCHOOL belongs to).

In the same way, you cannot say that River City is a D1 team. They played in the D1 playoffs last year. But they were in a D4 league. They were a D4 team that played in the D1 playoff bracket. Their placement in the D1 bracket did not represent their competitiveness.

For some reason the SJS is stuck on enrollment as a primary factor in placing teams, but will use Calpreps to rank teams within a division (in 2018). Enrollment seems to be at best a general indicator of relative strength. Calpreps or power rankings would be a much more accurate measure of where to place teams.
I just got my information from Will DeBoard he says I was right. He further explained that no matter your enrollment you can't drop more than one division than your league. St Mary's plays in a D1 league if they win they play D1 but if they don't win league they can play D2. Now when it comes to state bowl games they try to match up teams that are competitive. That's why Sutter was lined up to play Oakdale two years ago. Sutter has almost half the enrollment as Oakdale. They had it right that was a great hard hitting hard nose game. Sutter came into the Corral to play! Now the state bowl game was a mismatch. Bishop's had great athletes but were just worn down.

First, I have no feelings, so you can put that aside. Secondly, its not a tough concept.

Every team is aligned to a D1, D2, D3, etc. LEAGUE. Once playoffs roll around, a team's division is determined and it may be a lower or higher division than their LEAGUE depending on a variety of things. Therefore, a team from a D1 league can be considered a D2 division level team. The only absolute is that the team was in a D1 LEAGUE.

The reality is that playoff placement determines divisional team ranking -- just accept reality on reality's terms and everything will be just fine.

Reactions: THEOC89
St Mary's plays in a D1 league if they win they play D1 but if they don't win league they can play D2. Now when it comes to state bowl games they try to match up teams that are competitive.
And there you have it, thanks for checking rocknrolus. So is St. Mary's a D1 or D2 right now? We won't know until the end of the regular season!!

I just got my information from Will DeBoard he says I was right. He further explained that no matter your enrollment you can't drop more than one division than your league. St Mary's plays in a D1 league if they win they play D1 but if they don't win league they can play D2. Now when it comes to state bowl games they try to match up teams that are competitive. That's why Sutter was lined up to play Oakdale two years ago. Sutter has almost half the enrollment as Oakdale. They had it right that was a great hard hitting hard nose game. Sutter came into the Corral to play! Now the state bowl game was a mismatch. Bishop's had great athletes but were just worn down.

This would be cool for everyone.... The Rams don't seem to have the team they usually do and lost a lot of talent to Graduation... They are always a well coached and fearless team once again scheduling the #1/2 (depending on the poll) team in CA and arguably the country!!!!..

If they go to D2 that would really make that playoff bracket fun and I think those kids would have a great shot at winning it!... That being said, I think they win their league... They certainly will get better and the only team I think that can beat them is Lincoln-Stockton....

I see them as not looking good right now due to their schedule.... When a team like Central Catholic this year looks like the "Easy Game" game on your schedule so far you have a tough schedule....:)

So as far as an 0-3 team, you have to look at who they are playing... If they go 1-2 in the next three games and 5-0 in league, they finish 6-5 and are league champs... That would be a dangerous 6-5 playoff team...

Reactions: Renegade4Life
This would be cool for everyone.... The Rams don't seem to have the team they usually do and lost a lot of talent to Graduation... They are always a well coached and fearless team once again scheduling the #1/2 (depending on the poll) team in CA and arguably the country!!!!..

If they go to D2 that would really make that playoff bracket fun and I think those kids would have a great shot at winning it!... That being said, I think they win their league... They certainly will get better and the only team I think that can beat them is Lincoln-Stockton....

I see them as not looking good right now due to their schedule.... When a team like Central Catholic this year looks like the "Easy Game" game on your schedule so far you have a tough schedule....:)

So as far as an 0-3 team, you have to look at who they are playing... If they go 1-2 in the next three games and 5-0 in league, they finish 6-5 and are league champs... That would be a dangerous 6-5 playoff team...
I'm so old when I was in high school both Lincoln and St Mary's were in the VOL.

Reactions: THEOC89
I have seen Stockton high in old record books. Did that become a new H.S. or what happened to Stk High?

Good article. Awesome nickname-mascot!

We say all the time look like Tarzan, play like Jane.

What an oppurtunity for the next new high school to open as Stockton High (if chosen).
This makes more sense now that I know more about Stockton College. I remember being told about Oakdale playing Stockton College and it seemed weird sounding. I knew old timers like Eddie Labaron from Oakdale went to College of the Pacific.

Reactions: mistark

Great article and couldn’t have answered that question any better. Thanks for sharing.

I was a little puzzled by this line attributed to Mark Tennis, as there are many, many communities without namesake high schools? Perhaps he meant communities of a certain size? Is there even a San Francisco HS?

“So, as Tennis pointed out, Stockton is one of just two communities in California without a namesake high school.”

Reactions: cashisking18
In the 925, there have never been namesake high schools in communities like Martinez, Walnut Creek or Pleasanton. WC & Pleasanton have now grown and have more than one HS, but Martinez is a small town with 1 high school (Alhambra) that is not a namesake.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT