ADVERTISEMENT

If you were either HC of @TheR or Salesian? What would your thoughts be as you had your morning coffee,…?

It’s still weird for me to call them the pride too …chieftains!!! 😂

Kind of off topic too but what the heck happened to saint marys Berkeley? They used to have great basketball now they are terrible year in and year out. How can they miss out on all the Berkeley/Oakland talent?
o dowd and moreau and tech happened.. and gentrification... there just aint that many left to spread around

Rich Buckner (ex Riordan coach) got St. Mary's to a State Title game in 2020. The State Championship was cancelled due to COVID.

I think everyone is missing one thing. Jasir had a very bad game. That makes a difference.
No one is perfect and such is life. Rencher IMO sacrificed the most this season. Offensively this season he did not progress, but defensively he was as stout as they come. Whatever improvement there was, it wasnt going to be seen during games but rather him going up against Sensley during practice. That ideally is what most stacked teams like Riordan are selling. You're going to compete against guys going to be on D1 college rosters and you'll get better and be prepared for that next level.

That wont necessarily translate to winning high leverage high school playoff basketball games. Rencher, Hilman and Emenecke will be even tougher next year.

Rich Buckner (ex Riordan coach) got St. Mary's to a State Title game in 2020. The State Championship was cancelled due to COVID.
I will be the first to say, Coach Buckner had No support at Riordan after his former coach/ AD retired. IMHO,…he did the most with less in the historic folklore.

Coach Buckner bringing St. Mary’s Berkeley to the canceled State Game demonstated that,..
But his success at St. Mary’s Berkeley as a coach does not compare to his success as a player at Riordan, D1 Student/Athlete or as a GA earning his Maters.

That is the Legacy of Riordan, that I anticipate the @TheR is rising back too of the 90’s

I personally know D1 student/athletes who came to Riordan because of him

Last edited:

Kind of off topic too but what the heck happened to saint marys Berkeley? They used to have great basketball now they are terrible year in and year out. How can they miss out on all the Berkeley/Oakland talent?
where is he coaching now?
Talked to him the other day. He is enjoying the kids and working. He is not sure if he will get back into it. I hope he does. At least at a an assistant level if anything has he has a tremendous impact on kids. He gets kids to play hard as hell.

They lost to Piedmont at NCS, and were placed in D3. They lost to Salesian in league at home that year 74-39. Not a great team, but a nice NorCal run under the competitive equity format.
They can’t even come close to competing with Salesian. They are very academically driven and the parents have a ton of money. So the school has let sports go to the waist side in some senses. That’s why it was impressive to get that run. If I recall the year before the state run his best player transferred who would have stayed. But Salesian to St Mary’s is like Duke to North Carolina A & T

If you where at Salesian in the 80s and before, we still call ourselves "Chieftains."

I hear you regarding St. Mary's. They had a great hoop program and battled Salesian for the league title ten plus years ago.

Wow that’s your response. Are you on medication. There was no open. D3 was the strongest division. Riordan was the number 1 team in the bay the year Tofi won it. WCAL schools that played D1 and D2 were SI, Bellarmine, and St Francis when enrollment was in play. Who beat Riordan SHC. In the WCAL title game, in the CCS title game, 2-2, Tofi and squad won the NorCal and the state. Ain’t no WCAL team or any other team in the Bay Area could mess with that team. It’s why they were ranked 1 in the bay. You disappoint me Mr. Basketball. You should know this. Riordan was 1, SHC 2 that year. And the team they beat, two guys made millions in the league. As for Isola, there were 3 divisions. Therefore Riordan was D1. But you could play up, and so they did. Just like Jkidd and 300 students at St Joes did. You realize the 90’s Riordan team and St Joes would blow the socks off of any team in the Bay Area at this moment. It wouldn’t be pretty. Anyways too bad the biggest Riordan fan is gonna watch it at home. I was gonna buy you some popcorn.

By the way Tofi’s team blew it in the Burlingame tournament. Kind of like Umiversity in their own tournament. If Salesian wins tonight please don’t put #playerswanttocometotheR. They already have the players, this team should not lose
That was actually a Bellarmine/Riordan Co-Championship in 2001

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT