ADVERTISEMENT

If you were either HC of @TheR or Salesian? What would your thoughts be as you had your morning coffee,…?

Riordan had a very good year. But don’t kid yourself that anything less than a state championship is underachieving when you put that much talent and size on a high school roster. This year was the perfect opportunity because nobody is socal is overwhelming athletically.
Please don’t say that. It is more impressive to be ranked 3 or 4 in the Open than it was for Klay Thompson, James Harden, Tyson Chandler, Luke Walton, Jeremy Lin, all this teams didn’t win D1 or Open(well there wasn’t one.) The Ball brothers throw their rings out the window as well.

Personally if my kid was told that being in second in NorCal is consolation over comparisons then that explains some stuff. No way in hell would teams compare and this is why we should just go back to open enrollment.
This is where @TheR is reminded of the 90’s team. Those players built legacies in their own right.

I am not saying those players and coaches don’t recognize Banners. It was about the number of players who recieved D1 opportunities and went on to make their own Riordan Folklore

Banner weren’t the goal, they were the buy products

But I don’t think you can understand that concept

Dude you could air up and talk about D1 players all you want. That’s the luck of the draw at times. But you can’t knock success. I mean beating two guys who made millions, one playing in the league for years and a huge football recruit who went to Oregon who Tofi worked his ass off. Ask Kately and Tofi who they beat. Ask Kately and Tofi who they played with during the summer.

Having D1 players no doubt helps. But winning is what counts period. Klay Thompson and James Harden could care less Hassan Adams was a D1 player and they were D3. Tell me genius, who made more money.

And Alloco would laugh at you. He isn’t the greatest high school coach this state has ever seen because he got D1 players left and right. He flat out could coach. Fillios has a D2 title, he flat out could coach. One of the biggest upsets against D1 recruits. Rapp can flat out coach. He didn’t have a loaded team. And RB could flat out coach. Had it not been for Covid he was on his way to a state title most likely at St Mary’s.

Fact is the WCAL has had unreal coaches. And none of them had that much talent on one team. You realize the target is on Riordan just like it was as everybody wanted to beat the number 1 Bay Area team. Hats off to Coach P for teaching his guards to play Salesian type defense.

Guess in 2002, being number 1 in Nor Cal didn’t matter. And having the player of the year in Nor Cal and a stud big man and tons of role players who BOUGHT in is less than……

SPEAK F*CKING ENGLISH BAKA!

Oh nice. You won a CCS Open title too! Congrats! Great season by Riordan. Time to go to that ATM again to see what players you can buy, .... I mean convince to transfer in next season.
Your S is tired. Go to the ATM and buy a new line.

Please don’t say that. It is more impressive to be ranked 3 or 4 in the Open than it was for Klay Thompson, James Harden, Tyson Chandler, Luke Walton, Jeremy Lin, all this teams didn’t win D1 or Open(well there wasn’t one.) The Ball brothers throw their rings out the window as well.

Personally if my kid was told that being in second in NorCal is consolation over comparisons then that explains some stuff. No way in hell would teams compare and this is why we should just go back to open enrollment.

Dude you could air up and talk about D1 players all you want. That’s the luck of the draw at times. But you can’t knock success. I mean beating two guys who made millions, one playing in the league for years and a huge football recruit who went to Oregon who Tofi worked his ass off. Ask Kately and Tofi who they beat. Ask Kately and Tofi who they played with during the summer.

Having D1 players no doubt helps. But winning is what counts period. Klay Thompson and James Harden could care less Hassan Adams was a D1 player and they were D3. Tell me genius, who made more money.

And Alloco would laugh at you. He isn’t the greatest high school coach this state has ever seen because he got D1 players left and right. He flat out could coach. Fillios has a D2 title, he flat out could coach. One of the biggest upsets against D1 recruits. Rapp can flat out coach. He didn’t have a loaded team. And RB could flat out coach. Had it not been for Covid he was on his way to a state title most likely at St Mary’s.

Fact is the WCAL has had unreal coaches. And none of them had that much talent on one team. You realize the target is on Riordan just like it was as everybody wanted to beat the number 1 Bay Area team. Hats off to Coach P for teaching his guards to play Salesian type defense.

Guess in 2002, being number 1 in Nor Cal didn’t matter. And having the player of the year in Nor Cal and a stud big man and tons of role players who BOUGHT in is less than……
This IS when you loose all credibility and respect when one starts using Dubs analogy…. I have reframed from call you the Skip Bayless of NorCal message boards. But you just Got the call.

I have said and am still think of the NorCal championship, “Sophie’s Choice”,…

So you Truthful Hyperbole is old and show signs of “make Riordan great again” is not legit or respectable to even debate

Night; HS dungeon & Dragons

Peace Out🎤,….drop

Your S is tired. Go to the ATM and buy a new line.
It not even tired, although I completely agree,..

It is just from a Poor SHC fan and probably alumnus… which should tell you everything

#RedhairedStepchildToTheWCAL :LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: sylvan

Lin's 2005 squad was the secnd or third best team in NorCal that year. Can't punish them for the CBEDs

there is no such thing as loose ball foul in high school. or over the back. or 8 seconds... please share that info with your friends.
and there is no S at the end of Salesian.
Actually Ankle some of us old school alums (c/o ‘86), OGs, and within the Salesian community, still call Salesian “Salesians.” Saint Jon Bosco started the “Salesians of Don Bosco.” Salesian College Prep/SJB (Bellflower & New Jersey)/Bosco Tech/etc. are all brother schools BTW. So you can say it with an “s” or not. I sat next to Kiddman at the Riordan/Salesian game, and I reminded him of a post a few years back when he tried to correct me.

Reactions: nickdakoolkat04
Actually Ankle some of us old school alums (c/o ‘86), OGs, and within the Salesian community, still call Salesian “Salesians.” Saint Jon Bosco started the “Salesians of Don Bosco.” Salesian College Prep/SJB (Bellflower & New Jersey)/Bosco Tech/etc. are all brother schools BTW. So you can say it with an “s” or not. I sat next to Kiddman at the Riordan/Salesian game, and I reminded him of a post a few years back when he tried to correct me.
because you do it, doesnt mean its right. some people still burn crosses too

Reactions: Eastbayhoops
If you had the opportunity to see these
Same two teams play each other at the
M LK event at DLS nothing should have surprised you the other night. salesian
Spotted them 10 that night and riordan
went to my turn your turn to shoot style of basketball and salesian's more disciplined
Style of play was the deciding factor.
On saturday The 2 shots on riordans last possession Mind you COMING OUT OF A TIMEOUT was all you needed to see to understand that clearly for this particular season salesian was just the better team period.

went to my turn your turn to shoot style of basketball and salesian's more disciplined
On saturday The 2 shots on riordans last possession Mind you COMING OUT OF A TIMEOUT was all you needed to see to understand that clearly for this particular season salesian was just the better team period.
and better coached

Reactions: rabbit5
That might be easy to say based on there
Talent level but getting that talent to play
TOGETHER and FOR each other with a
Complete buy in and understanding is not as easy as just saying "if I had that team"
that has been my argument for a minute with the girls teams. the coaches with talent get less credit than the people who do more with less... i have always said it is harder to coach the super talented over the ones who are not as gifted. i thought i knew everything the minute i walked on campus and i was not even talented.

Complete buy in and understanding is not as easy as just saying "if I had that team"
I have heard that line of envy too, but previous or other coaches don’t or didn’t have the talent at @TheR this year because that D1 Level talent is seeking @TheR now because there is something different….What is that?

It is “Not Buy In”, its because kids & parents want to be at @TheR

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
that has been my argument for a minute with the girls teams. the coaches with talent get less credit than the people who do more with less... i have always said it is harder to coach the super talented over the ones who are not as gifted. i thought i knew everything the minute i walked on campus and i was not even talented.
+5

The Ball brothers (Chino Hills) beat DLS in the Open in 2016, the year after they lost to SRV in the state D1 finals. But they did win SoCal titles 2 years in a row.

Riordan had a very good year. But don’t kid yourself that anything less than a state championship is underachieving when you put that much talent and size on a high school roster. This year was the perfect opportunity because nobody is socal is overwhelming athletically.
There was a question a certain poster on here had asked, just before the playoffs began. Had Riordan met their expectations for this season?

The answer at the time was so far so good, but with the talent assembled, they would need get in done in the postseason. Everyone expected them to win the WCAL & CCS. The real challenge for this squad was to win the NorCal Open and then the State Open, where they fell short. A very good year for sure, but they were capable of so much more.

Reactions: HSWIZARD73
Let me start off and say congratulations and best of luck to Salesian's basketball team, coach Mellis and staff! I was at the game and for all intents and purposes, the game came down to the final 16 seconds as Riordan had possession to either tie it or even win it if the 3pt shooter happened to make it and was fouled. The Salesian fans who I was surrounded by (and were great hosts btw!) were all on their feet as the game came down to the wire. I was obviously disappointed in the outcome, but if you ask anyone there, this was a great HS championship game.
There definitely was a lot of high expectations of Riordan this year, even Salesian! These are still high school kids and watching the game both teams were giving their all. Someone mentioned Salesian was more agressive going to the floor after a loose ball. On one of Riordan's first possessions, their 6-10 kid went to the floor and got the jump the ball. Both teams played physical hard nosed defense. Shots were not easy to come by.
I just find it interesting that some folks always point out to coaching (or lack thereof) or the kids were overrated. These are HS kids! Coach Curtin and the Riordan kids have certainly taken the brunt of it from this board - either directly or implied. Was it Coach Mellis' fault he lost last year to Granada with pretty much the same players who played Tuesday night? Isn't this Coach Mellis' first Open victory? Mitty's Tim Kennedy had 4 D1 players, but lost to SRV in a great game. No one was throwing Kennedy or his kids under the bus?
"In losses and adversity it is always the ones who never accomplished anything on the gridiron and court that have the biggest mouths and opinions. It’s usually always the underachievers who live vicariously through others. I always wonder since they have all of the answers to X’s and O’s then how come they just don’t coach themselves. (taken from an accomplished coach). " Best of luck to ALL of the NorCal teams! Go Pride!

Let me start off and say congratulations and best of luck to Salesian's basketball team, coach Mellis and staff! I was at the game and for all intents and purposes, the game came down to the final 16 seconds as Riordan had possession to either tie it or even win it if the 3pt shooter happened to make it and was fouled. The Salesian fans who I was surrounded by (and were great hosts btw!) were all on their feet as the game came down to the wire. I was obviously disappointed in the outcome, but if you ask anyone there, this was a great HS championship game.
There definitely was a lot of high expectations of Riordan this year, even Salesian! These are still high school kids and watching the game both teams were giving their all. Someone mentioned Salesian was more agressive going to the floor after a loose ball. On one of Riordan's first possessions, their 6-10 kid went to the floor and got the jump the ball. Both teams played physical hard nosed defense. Shots were not easy to come by.
I just find it interesting that some folks always point out to coaching (or lack thereof) or the kids were overrated. These are HS kids! Coach Curtin and the Riordan kids have certainly taken the brunt of it from this board - either directly or implied. Was it Coach Mellis' fault he lost last year to Granada with pretty much the same players who played Tuesday night? Isn't this Coach Mellis' first Open victory? Mitty's Tim Kennedy had 4 D1 players, but lost to SRV in a great game. No one was throwing Kennedy or his kids under the bus?
"In losses and adversity it is always the ones who never accomplished anything on the gridiron and court that have the biggest mouths and opinions. It’s usually always the underachievers who live vicariously through others. I always wonder since they have all of the answers to X’s and O’s then how come they just don’t coach themselves. (taken from an accomplished coach). " Best of luck to ALL of the NorCal teams! Go Pride!
I think that there were 20 kids between Riordan and Salesian that played Tuesday night that can play college basketball if they want. If a kid can go to college and not have to pay out of pocket or take any student loans, then I am all for it. I think too much is made out of D1 versus D2, D3, or NAIA in terms of 4 year institutions. Such a small percentage of kids play college ball, we should encourage them to play where they fit. Remove the Power 5 conferences and there is not a very big gap between D1 and D2. I had to tell my son that there are a number of former D2 players in the NBA Hall of Fame. Here's wishing all the kids in the class of 2024 that want to play at the next level the best of luck in finding where you fit. Don't forget many of the finest academic institutions are D3.

Good points Armchair. As stated, Riordan had a very good season. Going through the WCAL & CCS Open undefeated isn’t easy. They didn’t reach their ultimate goals, but Coach Curtin had them within reach at the end, but the ball didn’t bounce their way.

Regarding Mellis, I was impressed last season that his team did so well, despite losing their best player (Tyler Harris) from the year before to the aforementioned Granada squad, who also had a 6’11” D1 center. With the job Mellis did this season, and the absolute team ball he’s got everyone buying into, I am even more impressed. I love playoff basketball and this time of year!

ARmchair.. who was fouled on the 3 point shot you are speaking of. was it called or not called?

and these may be high school aged kids, but they def aint that way basketball wise. some have played on espn, others have played in elite tournaments across the country. a lot will be playing for pay next season or 2... they see way more scrutiny on instagram and tik tok believe you me. none of them are here with the has beens reading it.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
ARmchair.. who was fouled on the 3 point shot you are speaking of. was it called or not called?

and these may be high school aged kids, but they def aint that way basketball wise. some have played on espn, others have played in elite tournaments across the country. a lot will be playing for pay next season or 2... they see way more scrutiny on instagram and tik tok believe you me. none of them are here with the has beens reading it.
@ankleassassin no one was fouled and the shot attempt was missed. I was just pointing out the game came down to the final 16 seconds and the game was still in the balance.

dumb question time - when did Salesian basketball become a force? Was it with Treseler? I played summer leagues there in 90s and was a bad player on a bad team but dont remember Salesian's teams being dominant.

Mellis started there in the late 90’s, I think…. Don’t know if his teams became strong right away or not. But I bet it wasn’t long… I have no firsthand info because I lived in Oregon from ‘94 to 2012. But I don’t remember them being powerful in the years before I moved away. They were generally a mid-pack team. Back then, Salesian’s game was football.

I just put coming out a timeout.
coaches all over nor cal looked at the roster at riordan and all had the same line...

if i had that team.....

Heard that a few times this year. Some coaches at the crush were like wow.

This IS when you loose all credibility and respect when one starts using Dubs analogy…. I have reframed from call you the Skip Bayless of NorCal message boards. But you just Got the call.

I have said and am still think of the NorCal championship, “Sophie’s Choice”,…

So you Truthful Hyperbole is old and show signs of “make Riordan great again” is not legit or respectable to even debate

Night; HS dungeon & Dragons

Peace Out🎤,….drop
Ah where did I reference the Dubs.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
I have heard that line of envy too, but previous or other coaches don’t or didn’t have the talent at @TheR this year because that D1 Level talent is seeking @TheR now because there is something different….What is that?

It is “Not Buy In”, its because kids & parents want to be at @TheR
Jim I consider you a fairly knowledgeable basketball guy. You think after that timeout they stood a chance. You seriously need to watch game endings out of timeouts. If that’s why people go so be it. The last 11 seconds looked 8th grade

So what’s the value in it then. You think Oak Hill Academy or St Anthony’s Jersey or Dunbar worried about all the talent. Your statement is correct, and sometimes talent doesn’t rank over all. Just ask Mater Dei. And ask De La Salle when they lost to Oak Hil one year by 6.

Awwwww, is someone mad because their school's ROI didnt yield a state title? Buying all that talent on the football field and basketball court isnt paying off? 🎷WOMP WOMP WOMP🎷
SuxHard to be you - grown ass man - using womp, womp, womp

Womp womp womp is funny. But SH had pipelines and it created success on the girls side. If you’re gonna pump talent winning is everything.

So what’s the value in it then. You think Oak Hill Academy or St Anthony’s Jersey or Dunbar worried about all the talent. Your statement is correct, and sometimes talent doesn’t rank over all. Just ask Mater Dei. And ask De La Salle when they lost to Oak Hil one year by 6.
When a poster references National programs to make their point…I would say their point must be weak,,,Sheldon like from Big Bang

I believe I already corrected you when you were a volunteer side chick to the Riordan Basketball program in early 2000’s, but as far as I know there is no other connection. So in that frame of thought,…please put Mr in front of my surname. I actually respect that the student/athlete @TheR, SO Please refer to me as they do & should try to live up to their standards of @TheR

#PurpleRegein
#NewAttitude
#NewAproach
#CantFindHSwizardOnCoachingStaffAtRiordan-ever?

& Bazinga to a little person who wants to be,…God Love ya🏀👍🏿

Last edited:
Womp womp womp is funny. But SH had pipelines and it created success on the girls side. If you’re gonna pump talent winning is everything.
How are we measuring "talent"? I know that these kids are only in HS, so let's go to the basics. Are they exceptional shooters, passers, defenders (meaning that they move there feet to prevent the shot from even being taken), with high basketball IQs? IMHO, a few of the kids are exceptionally talented basketball players, but many are exceptional athletes with average basketball skills "raw". Maybe the issue is the expectations were unrealistic and the coach actually did a very good job with what he actually had.

Reactions: Eastbayhoops
It’s still weird for me to call them the pride too …chieftains!!! 😂

Kind of off topic too but what the heck happened to saint marys Berkeley? They used to have great basketball now they are terrible year in and year out. How can they miss out on all the Berkeley/Oakland talent?

Reactions: dlew66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT