ADVERTISEMENT

IMG vs. Mater Dei: Great Athletes, Bad for HS Football

OK, but my point was that although not every player on DLS is a D1 or even college player, every year they are loaded with more talent than most of the public schools in their league. So having to play against teams with more talent that get players from all over is something they deal with every year. Now that the IMGs and MDs of the football landscape are bringing in superior talent, DLS is getting to see what that is like. I'm not saying they recruit, lord knows that horse has been beaten to death, but they do attract more talent than the teams in their league get in their "neighborhood kids".

Whether playing teams with superior talent is fair or not is an age old issue.
DLS may have had fewer D1 players than one might think given their success, but they’ve had a heck of a lot more D1 players than most of the public schools they play who use “neighborhood kids”. The current DLS team has more future D1 players on their roster this year (sophs, jrs & srs) than schools in their league like Cal High or Amador Valley have had in the last 10 years combined.

Just because other teams like IMG and MD get more D1 players doesn’t mean DLS doesn’t get far more than their fair share.
Of course they’re had more than the local boundary public’s. Never said they didn’t. That wasn’t the argument.

MD, SJB will be tested in the Trinity. Especially against each other. Come playoffs, you can throw in CEN10 to the mix as well.

Have you seen their scores the past couple seasons since the program started injecting steroids? The only 'tests' MD had were against SJB, Centennial and BG. SJB has had one competitive league game against RSM aside from MD.

For me, its about what every family thinks is best for their kids.

I don't disagree. But what we're seeing isn't that. We're seeing over-the-top, athletically motivated front running and heavy recruiting by a handful of Nationally elite programs. That's not what HS life is supposed to be about and is better left for the next level.

As O22 states, dLS was 1/8 of EBAL in the ‘08-‘11 seasons. Likely forces were MVs loss by only a TD just before that and Cal High’s appearance vs them ‘07 in The Coliseum.

Prominent EBAL coaches at the time- Bergman, Kravitz, Sanchez, Sweeney- were part of the vote to bring it on.

@82- this is part of the WACd (Win At Costs) nature which has slinked into HS sports. “All-American” bowls, choosing hats for college on TV, paid expenses to OOS games, full unis paid for by the shoe companies all inoculated previously passionate programs into obsessing about dominance.

The trickle down is ridiculous:

Have you seen their scores the past couple seasons since the program started injecting steroids? The only 'tests' MD had were against SJB, Centennial and BG. SJB has had one competitive league game against RSM aside from MD.

I don't disagree. But what we're seeing isn't that. We're seeing over-the-top, athletically motivated front running and heavy recruiting by a handful of Nationally elite programs. That's not what HS life is supposed to be about and is better left for the next level.

I always respect your opinion Thunder but with all due respect who made you arbitrator of what HS life is supposed to be? You think it should be your way but others have their own idea of how they want their HS experience to be and they really shouldn’t be shamed for it because you don’t like it

Unfortunately, this is the new world we live in.

Most now chose to shy away from real competition under the disguise of "doing what is best for themselves." This obviously takes away from the overall competition in the high school ranks. High School has morphed into a hybrid college model in some areas.

I have my own opinion about all of it and feel it has many negatives. I do recognize some positives in terms of being a fan and I support the right to chose. Things change over time no matter if we like it or not. There is a lot of money at stake now in football and that has trickled down to the HS level. In my opinion, this will trickle down to the youth level if it already hasn't.

I am a traditionalist and am glad we still have a lot of what I love up north. Eventually that will change and likely morph into what the south has. There is no stopping it. I have accepted it and will embrace it when the time comes.

Again platitudes of choice, feelings and somehow transferring to Mater Dei from is the same level as immigrating from Venezuela to the United States.

All about egos of the adults running the programs, advising the kids and filling their heads with “options, exposure, blah, blah, blah”, and the fans who want to see super teams so they can be entertained.

It’s a farce. Quit kidding yourselves and acting like this is somehow progress. None of this is about the kids, it’s about egos, winning, egos, dream of a big payday and more egos.

Last edited:
I always respect your opinion Thunder but with all due respect who made you arbitrator of what HS life is supposed to be? You think it should be your way but others have their own idea of how they want their HS experience to be and they really shouldn’t be shamed for it because you don’t like it

You're absolutely right. I'm not the arbitrator. I'm not the arbitrator of lots of things we as a society shape as acceptable or not.

With regard to athletically motivated transfers, it has largely been ruled unacceptable for many years. Because the majority has always believed that HS is about things deemed more important than sports. That's not my opinion. That's simply the way it's been. All I'm saying is that I seem to fall with the majority on what HS life should be about -- right or wrong.

Lastly, I don't think I 'shamed' anybody (other than the adult recruiters at places such as IMG) for thinking differently. I just said it's not for me. And that I don't get or align with a front running mentality. If you believe in those things, more power to you. I certainly don't think less of you and also respect your opinion. I just disagree with you. As I typically like to say, there are greater tragedies in the world. ;)

Not to nitpick, but the Dodgers have signed exactly one big time MLB free agent in the past decade. Sorry, as a Dodger fan that fake narrative is thrown out all the time and it’s very annoying lol.

I'm a life long Dodgers fan too and I get that same narrative from my pro-Giants friends. I tell them all the time -- Kershaw, Jansen, Buehler, Bellinger, Puig, Seager, Kemp, Pederson -- all developed via the farm system. Then you have reclamation projects such as Justin Turner and Chris Taylor that were given up on by their former teams and acquired for cheap before turning around their careers in LA.

The current front office has been building the team via the farm system and bargain FA pick ups for some time now. They do have the highest payroll in MLB but a lot of that was due to former leadership and still wasn't due to signing the best players in FA. Most of it was due to a couple of trades where they absorbed bad contracts e.g., the Boston trade that netted Adrian Gonzalez while hampering them with Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett.

They did go out and get Manny Machado this year and Yu Darvish last year (via trades), but they've mostly been in the bargain bin business since Andrew Friedman and Farhan Zaidi took over. They've built one of the best farm systems in baseball, which is one of the reasons they were able to pull off the Machado trade.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. I'm not the arbitrator. I'm not the arbitrator of lots of things we as a society shape as acceptable or not.

With regard to athletically motivated transfers, it has largely been ruled unacceptable for many years. Because the majority has always believed that HS is about things deemed more important than sports. That's not my opinion. That's simply the way it's been. All I'm saying is that I seem to fall with the majority on what HS life should be about -- right or wrong.

Lastly, I don't think I 'shamed' anybody (other than the adult recruiters at places such as IMG) for thinking differently. I just said it's not for me. And that I don't get or align with a front running mentality. If you believe in those things, more power to you. I certainly don't think less of you and also respect your opinion. I just disagree with you. As I typically like to say, there are greater tragedies in the world. ;)

Fair enough....besides I’m also a huge Dodgers fan.Go Blue!!

They do have the highest payroll in MLB
And more crashing and burning in the playoffs.

As you can tell, I am a born and bred SF Giants fan :)

Every year when the Dodgers collapse in the playoffs with that payroll, it makes the Giants 3 titles in 5 years look even more impressive, when at that time they're main players were farm system products.

Great coaching, great farm system, and a great bullpen got it done. Those 3 titles are good for my lifetime. Even snagged one as a play in wild card team. Underdogs in 11 straight playoff series, and managed to win all of them in that time frame. Impressive. Madison Bumgarner is the best world series pitcher in the history of the league. So cool that he is a Giant and came up as a 19 year old through our system!

I look forward to another Dodgers playoff exit this year! Division titles don't matter if you can't win it all! Keep spending!

Go Giants! 3 in 5! 1988 never felt so long ago!

Reactions: Hatchball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT