ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at Potebtail CIF State Game Matchups

Cardinal Newman has 573 kids this year and has suired up 28 or 29 kids every game. They played in that D3 state title game because CN opted up those yrs because there was no D4 state title games.
Hey, believe me I appreciate you throwing CN into a conversation regarding DLS and Folsom to make a point but your comparing apples and oranges.

TRUST ME...Id LOVE for CN to have 1000 kids and be able to suit 45 -50 kids and actuall have backups to give the starters a break now and then.

PS I dont know of any public schools of 2k that CN beats regularly.
The largest school in our county is Santa Rosa and they have been hovering between 1900 and 2k for awhile.
With kids like Max Pond well I believe that was his name. You don't need more than 28 or 29 players. Max played one of the best Duel threat QB high school games I personally watched. My only complaint was it was against Oakdale.

Reactions: slick58
disagree. 54-35 on a neutral field against a team of all juniors, against a senior heavy Central quad is dismantling. It will be much worse if they play this year.

Cookie, my friend, it appears your Blue & Red colored glasses has fogged your memory.

The Folsom vs Central game was held in Folsom, not a “neutral field” as claimed above. For a guy who seemingly attends every game, this is a concerning oversight. C’mon man, the turf is blue, it’s not that hard to notice!!! :)

BTW...The score of this so-called ‘dismantling’ was 40-35 halfway through the 4th quarter. And while I always thought Folsom was going to hold on and win, to call the game a ‘dismantling’ is simply insincere, or a lack of understanding of the meaning of the word. Unless you want to claim DLS’ win over Folsom earlier this year was a dismantling too?

Central gave Folsom a great game last year, on the Dogs home field. Sorry to burst your revisionist bubble.

Last edited:
Reactions: nascar624
If you want to have an adult conversation with facts, then by all means, let's do that. Unfortunately, I will not respond to the same old rhetoric of "that team you played sucks!" "you suck!" That stuff is for kids.

If you want to have a legit argument, with facts, let me know, and we can square off, like adults.
Adults don’t go crying to Streak. Adults don’t go trolling every thread pushing Folsom down everyone’s throats. Adults don’t change there handle every other week.
Folsom is a good team you could even say great. But they aren’t special. They played one good team this year and got dismantled. Folsom will go on and win there cute little 1AA state game. And they will probably go buy themselves championship rings. But for anyone that’s every coached HSFB it’s the “open” or bust.

Adults don’t go crying to Streak. Adults don’t go trolling every thread pushing Folsom down everyone’s throats. Adults don’t change there handle every other week.
Folsom is a good team you could even say great. But they aren’t special. They played one good team this year and got dismantled. Folsom will go on and win there cute little 1AA state game. And they will probably go buy themselves championship rings. But for anyone that’s every coached HSFB it’s the “open” or bust.
I wouldn't call it dismantled, That game could have fallen the other direction pretty fast and easily.
It is comical how they treat winning the SBG consolation bracket every year like its a real state Championship. I'd bet DLS coaches prefer having an almost unwinnable Open division game than a spoon fed D1 ring...

I wouldn't call it dismantled, That game could have fallen the other direction pretty fast and easily.
It is comical how they treat winning the SBG consolation bracket every year like its a real state Championship. I'd bet DLS coaches prefer having an almost unwinnable Open division game than a spoon fed D1 ring...
I agree it’s not a dismantling anymore then Folsom dismantling Central last year.

The list of teams Folsom might play in the SBG is almost criminal. SoCal should automatically bid a team into the Open game, and have Folsom play the D1 winner.

1.True, but we have also seen how both teams have progressed since then. You can come to your own conclusions and I have, and I am sure others have.

2.Not really- common opponents.

DLS struggled against Buchanan, who won't contend for anything, even in NorCal. That hardly got ANY coverage or mention on this forum? Why? If Folsom struggled against a team like Buchanan or Central, they would get creamed on this forum! Prove me wrong.

3. Pure opinion and speculation. I actually believe the opposite and believe Folsom could give any SoCal team a run for their money, with respect to the SoCal teams. Personally, I think Folsom beats Cen10, and has a shot to beat SJB. All day long. I think MD would be much more of a challenge, but I believe Folsom could make that game interesting...They may not win, but it would be awfully interesting. The intrigue would be there. This year, there is no intrigue with the open game. Good or bad, we know exactly what we are getting and what the outcome is. Not a bad thing, as DLS earned that spot. Folsom did not.

1. Yes we have seen how both teams have progressed and of course Folsom appears to have improved at a quicker pace, as they should have. They were returning practically their whole team on offense and DLS had a number of new guys they are still currently trying to get up to speed, but by years end DLS has always seemed to have got their offense firing on all cylinders by post-season.

2. Common Opponents???? There is no common opponent between Folsom and DLS. Even if Folsom ends up playing Central, it's still a daisy chain comparison and probably the weakest argument when comparing teams. Not even worth talking about that sort of comparison.

3. Of course any talk about how either Folsom or DLS would do against the SoCal all star team is purely opinion and speculation, but the main difference is my opinion is unbiased and looking through a neutral lens, yours is all clouded with blue and red and with a very biased opinion Your not capable of giving an unbiased opinion. You lose your crowd immediately with such biased views and it's hard to listen to any facts you give when your agenda is to try and convince the neutral crowd that Folsom is the best in NorCal and would give a better game in an open championship game. This is a losing battle for you and probably won't get proven this year since it's a very slim hope of Folosm getting to play in the Open. Very unlikely DLS loses before the bowl game this season.

The list of teams Folsom might play in the SBG is almost criminal. SoCal should automatically bid a team into the Open game, and have Folsom play the D1 winner.
Won't happen.

Socal posters have openly stated that they like the fact that most of the top 10 teams go home. They would rather have them go home and see a bloodbath in the D1AA game, rather than seeing an instant classic like Folsom/Cen10. I don't understand the thinking, but to each their own. This isn't Folsom's fault.

Reactions: nascar624
I'd bet DLS coaches prefer having an almost unwinnable Open division game than a spoon fed D1 ring...
Spoon fed? You don't have to win your league? Your section?

The real questions will come when DLS is dismantled in the open game and Folsom steam rolls some random SoCal team nobody has ever heard of. All while Socal posters will yell from the mountaintop that Folsom played nobody, yet refused to send anyone of substance to the D1AA game.

Reactions: Golfpilot
It’s definitely no fault of Folsom as to who they play in the state game. It’s my opinion that Folsom wants no part of Cent10. They are just way to much for Folsom. But I would love to see a Folsom, OC game. That would be a instant classic IMO. But beleave me none of those big team down south want anything but the open.

Spoon fed? You don't have to win your league? Your section?

The real questions will come when DLS is dismantled in the open game and Folsom steam rolls some random SoCal team nobody has ever heard of. All while Socal posters will yell from the mountaintop that Folsom played nobody, yet refused to send anyone of substance to the D1AA game.
The reason they don’t send anyone of substance to the D1AA is because nobody cares about the D1AA. Folsom will go out and buy themselves state championship rings. But in the end they will just be the team that lost to the team that lost the actual state championship. There is only one real state champ the rest are just divisional champs.

Reactions: aztecpadre
It’s my opinion that Folsom wants no part of Cent10.
False. Folsom would PREFER Cen10. SoCal posters have openly stated they do not want to see this. They would rather play Cen10. Based on what I've seen this year from Cen10, Folsom wins that game.

But I would love to see a Folsom, OC game.
This would be better than what is projected right now, I would agree. But, still that game would be a Folsom 3-4 score win minimum. Oaks has one great player, some decent size, and that's about it. Folsom would boat race them.

Socal needs to step up and send something decent this year. Sending teams 2-10 home, while promoting #20 or so is lame and a ridiculous excuse to hide teams that you don't want to see potentially lose.

I have to say Cash you are the only person in the world that can make me side with dls. And I know I have to be careful because you’ll go crying to Steak. Witch is why Envy is no longer with us. Folsom LOST to dls with the best opportunity to beat them. You can’t change that. Chaminade isn’t good at all and the powers that be knew that the day the scheduled them. Folsom is right where they should be as far as ranking goes. They would get absolutely man handled by MD,SJB,DLS,CENT10, and maybe even OC. Those are just facts. At the end of the day Folsom has played one decent team and they lost. Folsom is a good team but there not one of the BIG boys.
Is Cash/kingera/many others snitching? Hahaha. Folsom, in no way, would make a "game" against any of the opponents you mentioned. Pretty sure Folsom is undefeated in all of the games never played. What a winning streak.

Is Cash/kingera/many others snitching? Hahaha. Folsom, in no way, would make a "game" against any of the opponents you mentioned. Pretty sure Folsom is undefeated in all of the games never played. What a winning streak.
Lame attempt at a troll job.

Folsom will play anybody.

This is just a diversion to not have to deal with the fact that during SBG time, SoCal will be hiding about 10 of their top teams on local couches, opting to rather eat popcorn and watch Folsom boat race a team like Upland.

This is just a diversion to not have to deal with the fact that during SBG time, SoCal will be hiding about 10 of their top teams on local couches, opting to rather eat popcorn and watch Folsom boat race a team like Upland.
Diversion? Come on block, I use to defend you on the national board because you were from NorCal, until it was just too much. You keep saying Folsom would do this to that team or to this team, knowing full well those games will not take place. Folsom is a very talented team. Top 10 in Cali no doubt. But to say y'all can take on the MD's, SJB's, CEN10's, DLS's of the world and pass it off as fact is purely conjecture at best. You talk about not talking smack about Folsom because they are kids, well so are the other teams that you claim are weak or overrated or terrible (Central) comes to mind. Just laying out some facts brother. Can't have it both ways

Diversion? Come on block, I use to defend you on the national board because you were from NorCal, until it was just too much.
What the heck is a national board? Fill me in.

Top 10 in Cali no doubt. But to say y'all can take on the MD's, SJB's, CEN10's, DLS's
Folsom can't "take on" the teams you mentioned, but yet "took on" DLS week 0 this year AT DLS? I am sure they would just shake in their boots and decline a state bowl game with Cen10. BTW- The game was DLS was actually great.

You talk about not talking smack about Folsom because they are kids, well so are the other teams that you claim are weak or overrated or terrible (Central) comes to mind.
Now you are just lying. I never said a bad thing about ANY kids or a program. I stated the facts- that Central would get boat raced. And they will. If that offends you, you probably shouldn't be engaging in this discussion.

The reason they don’t send anyone of substance to the D1AA is because nobody cares about the D1AA.
Nobody cares? It has been mentioned many times over any potential open game. The outcome of the open game is already determined. People aren't enthralled by that. If people didn't care about the 1AA game and didn't want to see Folsom play a great SoCal team, the same posters wouldn't be showing up and constantly responded in regards to a game that "nobody cares about." They care.

Folsom will go out and buy themselves state championship rings.
The CIF buys the rings.

What the heck is a national board? Fill me in.

Folsom can't "take on" the teams you mentioned, but yet "took on" DLS week 0 this year AT DLS? I am sure they would just shake in their boots and decline a state bowl game with Cen10. BTW- The game was DLS was actually great.

Now you are just lying. I never said a bad thing about ANY kids or a program. I stated the facts- that Central would get boat raced. And they will. If that offends you, you probably shouldn't be engaging in this discussion.
Haha, why in the heck would that offend me? I live 4 hours away from Fresno. That's good that you got that other board out of your head block. I would too if I got banned. If DLS shook in their boots to beat Folsom again, then that would be the first time ever, considering the national powers they have played and will continue to play year in, year out. Don't be mad block, y'all have a special team up there this year. Very good skill position players. Like many have said on here, I just wish y'all would have scheduled accordingly.

The reason they don’t send anyone of substance to the D1AA is because nobody cares about the D1AA. Folsom will go out and buy themselves state championship rings. But in the end they will just be the team that lost to the team that lost the actual state championship. There is only one real state champ the rest are just divisional champs.
Very true. The Open bowl game is for the true state championship of California. The rest are for the kids and fans to enjoy the state bowl game atmosphere, which I think its cool. The kids and their fans get to play an extra game at the end of the year. Cool stuff.

Reactions: remc

Why would SoCal do that?

Haha, why in the heck would that offend me? I live 4 hours away from Fresno. That's good that you got that other board out of your head block. I would too if I got banned. If DLS shook in their boots to beat Folsom again, then that would be the first time ever, considering the national powers they have played and will continue to play year in, year out. Don't be mad block, y'all have a special team up there this year. Very good skill position players. Like many have said on here, I just wish y'all would have scheduled accordingly.
That was a bizarre post.

And while what you have posted may be historically correct, Bishop Gorman, Central Catholic, & Buchanan aren't exactly national powers.

Call a spade what it is this year- a spade.

Why would SoCal do that?
You would have to ask them.

My guess is they feel the other games outside of the open are not important. They don't feel a need to send they're other top teams to represent them against Norcal in the lower bowl games.

They have so much talent to showcase. Why not continue to showcase it instead of eating popcorn on the couch and watching your lesser schools continue to represent you?

One of these teams will likely be playing Folsom in a SBG

School State League Division W-L League W-L Division W-L Rating Schedule Strength Opponents' W-L
Calabasas (CA) team preview trend Southern Marmonte 2 6-1 1-0 (t 1st) 2-0 59.7 47.1 32-19
WINS: #180 Westlake (Westlake Village, CA) (20-14), #241 Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth, CA) (42-35), #370 Lawndale (CA) (41-20), #429 La Habra (CA) (43-27), #714 Valencia (CA) (21-20), #897 Rancho Cucamonga (CA) (42-13), LOSSES: #6 JSerra (San Juan Capistrano, CA) (49-21)

2 Norco (CA) team preview trend Southern Big VIII 2 6-1 2-0 (t 1st) 1-0 57 35.9 25-24
WINS: #178 Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, CA) (30-23), #248 Redlands East Valley (Redlands, CA) (52-37), #548 Williams Field (Gilbert, AZ) (49-21), #624 Santiago (Corona, CA) (33-22), #897 Rancho Cucamonga (CA) (49-14), #8189 King [Dr. Martin Luther] (Riverside, CA) (42-7), LOSSES: #105 Servite (Anaheim, CA) (37-32)

3 Upland (CA) team preview trend Southern Baseline 2 6-1 2-0 (t 1st) 3-0 51.5 30 23-27
WINS: #248 Redlands East Valley (Redlands, CA) (35-7), #429 La Habra (CA) (24-12), #2948 Damien (La Verne, CA) (35-0), #2973 Los Osos (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) (45-23), #3695 El Diamante (Visalia, CA) (49-0), #4223 La Mirada (CA) (35-7), LOSSES: #20 Mission Viejo (CA) (41-8)

4 Alemany (Mission Hills, CA) team preview trend Southern Mission 2 6-1 2-0 (t 1st) 1-0 50.7 28.5 21-28
WINS: #210 Chaminade (West Hills, CA) (31-14), #1821 Loyola (Los Angeles, CA) (34-8), #1836 Downey (CA) (20-14), #2098 San Fernando (CA) (43-0), #4517 Charter Oak (Covina, CA) (33-3), #6330 Dorsey [Susan Miller] (Los Angeles, CA) (35-6), LOSSES: #15 Oaks Christian (Westlake Village, CA) (56-14)

5 Westlake (Westlake Village, CA) team preview trend Southern Marmonte 2 6-2 1-1 (t 3rd) 1-1 49.3 37.8 39-20
WINS: #241 Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth, CA) (35-30), #601 Moorpark (CA) (34-0), #1003 Mission Hills (San Marcos, CA) (28-13), #1214 Oxnard (CA) (24-20), #1584 St. Bonaventure (Ventura, CA) (39-7), #1600 St. Francis (La Canada, CA) (35-21), LOSSES: #49 Calabasas (CA) (20-14), #283 Grace Brethren (Simi Valley, CA) (24-6)

6 Redlands East Valley (Redlands, CA) team preview trend Southern Citrus Belt 2 4-3 1-1 (t 3rd) 2-2 46.2 42.9 34-15
WINS: #287 Heritage (Romoland, CA) (12-6), #429 La Habra (CA) (22-21), #1615 Yucaipa (CA) (51-30), #1951 Colony (Ontario, CA) (48-14), LOSSES: #79 Cajon (San Bernardino, CA) (48-38), #84 Norco (CA) (52-37), #142 Upland (CA) (35-7)

7 Notre Dame (Sherman Oaks, CA) team preview trend Southern Mission 2 5-2 2-0 (t 1st) 1-0 46 31.6 27-22
WINS: #300 Serra [Junipero] (Gardena, CA) (38-7), #1521 Paraclete (Lancaster, CA) (55-7), #1821 Loyola (Los Angeles, CA) (28-7), #2098 San Fernando (CA) (56-7), #2559 Birmingham (Van Nuys, CA) (49-12), LOSSES: #219 St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) (23-12), #601 Moorpark (CA) (35-34)

8 Los Alamitos (CA) team preview trend Southern Sunset 2 6-1 2-0 (t 1st) 1-0 45.3 23.3 28-22-1
WINS: #382 Poly (Long Beach, CA) (20-6), #743 Tesoro (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA) (35-16), #2325 Carson (CA) (24-14), #3269 Fountain Valley (CA) (69-0), #5675 Newport Harbor (Newport Beach, CA) (42-7), #6925 Banning [Phineas] (Wilmington, CA) (49-13), LOSSES: #178 Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, CA) (38-35)

9 Heritage (Romoland, CA) team preview trend Southern Ivy 2 5-2 0-0 1-1 45 31.1 25-23
WINS: #79 Cajon (San Bernardino, CA) (41-36), #797 Oak Hills (Hesperia, CA) (24-7), #4063 Temescal Canyon (Lake Elsinore, CA) (28-0), #5159 Elsinore (Wildomar, CA) (35-7), #6122 Great Oak (Temecula, CA) (33-0), LOSSES: #36 Lutheran (Orange, CA) (35-16), #248 Redlands
Out of this list, which do you think would give Folsom the toughest game/ have a chance to win?

You would have to ask them.

My guess is they feel the other games outside of the open are not important. They don't feel a need to send they're other top teams to represent them against Norcal in the lower bowl games.

They have so much talent to showcase. Why not continue to showcase it instead of eating popcorn on the couch and watching your lesser schools continue to represent you?
Agree, a waste good football teams

Reactions: cookie530
With kids like Max Pond well I believe that was his name. You don't need more than 28 or 29 players. Max played one of the best Duel threat QB high school games I personally watched. My only complaint was it was against Oakdale.

Great memory. Max Pond was one of the many great QB's to have played for Cronin over the last decade +. i believe he played at Oregon for a year as a walk on. Those were some special teams that beat the likes of DO & Palma to name a couple.

That was a bizarre post.

And while what you have posted may be historically correct, Bishop Gorman, Central Catholic, & Buchanan aren't exactly national powers.

Call a spade what it is this year- a spade.
Your right they aren’t national powers. But everyone of those team would have there way with Chaminade.

Nobody cares? It has been mentioned many times over any potential open game. The outcome of the open game is already determined. People aren't enthralled by that. If people didn't care about the 1AA game and didn't want to see Folsom play a great SoCal team, the same posters wouldn't be showing up and constantly responded in regards to a game that "nobody cares about." They care.

The CIF buys the rings.
ProductDetails.asp

I like these...
https://www.orderfastawards.com/Pro...MImeDHyJf93QIVUF8NCh3jPA68EAQYAiABEgKT5_D_BwE

As big time high school football fan I just feel robbed. This was the year Folsom was supposed to step up the schedule with with plethora of talent they have. No disrespect to other teams but I dont want to see them play Jesuit (ever again) Antelope, Chaminade, or a WCAL team. They should have played Centennial. Pittsburg has played them 2-3 times and played them this year. The DLS game went as many expected, but a Cen10 game gets Folsom the national recognition they crave. Until the beat DLS up here, beat a true socal power they will always finish ranked below SJB, MD, CEN10. Even if they win there SBG by 50, which they will most likely do. Norcal public schools rarely get a team like this. Just too bad.

I think any true hs football fan knows that Folsom is a step below SJB, MD, CC, and DLS. Would be no different this year. I just wish that So Cal would let two of their big three play both DLS and Folsom in two of the state games.

I hope that next year Folsom will add another good team to their schedule other than the D:LS game already scheduled. Try taking on MD or SJB next year.

I was at that game. Fun place. Had skydivers and everything. 2007 season.

There is no doubt MD/SJB/DLS are top teams in the state. All three are private. How would you guys rank top Public schools in the state, just curious. I see Folsom, Liberty and Central top in NorCal, possibly state.

There is no doubt MD/SJB/DLS are top teams in the state. All three are private. How would you guys rank top Public schools in the state, just curious. I see Folsom, Liberty and Central top in NorCal, possibly state.

I’ve only seen Folsom and Cen 10 out of the top public schools. I watched Centennial vs Narbonne and they were evenly matched. The difference in that game I’d say was coaching, specifically penalties. Narbonne had to have over 20. Centennial is good but they didn’t look as dominant as years past.

First of all, Folsom didn't dismantled anything last year. Those young man from "west" Fresno that suited up for Central do not fear Folsom in anyway whatsoever. Believe that. Fyi, those kids are Edison Tiger babies. Those that know anything about west Fresno knows exactly what I'm talking about here. The only team in the Sacramento region that can match the athletic talent in west Fresno is Grant. Tbth, most on this board brought up Central's superior physicality, speed and athleticism when the two teams played last year. Let's make one thing clear. Folsom won because they out schemed Central not because they had more talent or better athletes across the board. Yes, Central lost a lot from last years team in regards to experience and senior leadership but they'll never lose in the heart department and they'll always be more physical and athletic than Folsom. Bank that!

You could be right but don't underestimate Central's superior speed, athleticism and physical talent. All to say, that's why we play the game. Grant vs LBP "2008".

Personally knowing the athletic talent that come out of west Fresno and the not so much talent that come from Folsom I have the credentials to say you're trip'n. Take away the Reno Express and Central owns Folsom and you know it. Richardson's wicked offensive schemes in which he's developed over the years wouldn't help Folsom against Central if there were no Reno Express. Just imagine if Central's every year talent had Richardson wicked offensive schemes at their disposal. They'll be a Div-1 State Championship program and a yearly National power. Facts.

Spot on!! I said it last year when grant moves to the sfl they’ll see why grant is losing and talent isn’t one of em. Folsom doesn’t have elite players they have good players with great coaching with schemes that put them in the best position. When grant plays folsom folsom will not have the better athletes. They added 4 Reno kids with the new one being Reno’s best d linemen and yet they’ll
Look like a normal grant team that runs a perfect spread offense. I’ll say this again sac high beat this same folsom team not by mistake but because they have the type of athletes that folsom usually doesn’t have they nearly and should’ve beat folsom last year. If you can play press man or man period you can beat em. Their line is underrated the qb isn’t pressures in sfl games cause teams are scared to blitz them because they don’t trust their coverage. And people should quit saying Joe Ngata is a sure nfl player he’s 6’3 and runs a 4.6 that’s a easier cover at the next level

False. Folsom would PREFER Cen10. SoCal posters have openly stated they do not want to see this. They would rather play Cen10. Based on what I've seen this year from Cen10, Folsom wins that game.

This would be better than what is projected right now, I would agree. But, still that game would be a Folsom 3-4 score win minimum. Oaks has one great player, some decent size, and that's about it. Folsom would boat race them.

Socal needs to step up and send something decent this year. Sending teams 2-10 home, while promoting #20 or so is lame and a ridiculous excuse to hide teams that you don't want to see potentially lose.

It’s funny you say they send #20 to play the state game but last year after barely getting by helix you swore up and down that helix was a top 5 team in so cal even after I said that they moved up when everybody lost in the play offs

It’s hard to rank public skools these days because not all publics are created equal I’d ranked folsom and cen10 near the top but they are closer to private’s than publics as far as imported talent. Then the sjb md are built on the talent they grab from the publics. So really if all the talent played at their respective public school boundaries if that’s even a thing anymore I’d say poly is the best public school in California. And maybe Edison of Fresno I’m central section and pitt/grant In NorCal

Folsom never has Elite guys, Cam Robinson, Jake Browning, both Ngata Elite D1 offers, those DE’s etc. Folsom has Elite guys, not an entire team of guys like MD, SJB. No way Grant has better guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT