ADVERTISEMENT

MC Holiday Hoop Classic First Round

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
Eight games! Like most 16-team tournaments, the first day will feature some mismatches, but there are at least a few potentially solid matchups...

10am: Campolindo (6-3) v. Lincoln of Stockton (4-7)
Lincoln graduated Kelly and all other size last season and have gone all-in with the full-court press and first-guy-downcourt-shoots game. They're scoring in bunches, but they are giving up points in even bigger bunches in a not-very-strong schedule. Campo is having a strong year with two freshmen in the starting lineup and has designs on a deep run in the playoffs. Their three losses are to strong teams that also are playoff probables, and they've got some good wins, too. With the running and pressing, this one will be fun to watch... Campo should win by double digits, maybe BIG double digits...

11:30am: Clovis West (14-1) v. Patterson (2-8)
Clovis West is loaded and on a mission after getting left out of NorCals last year. Patterson is, well... not good. Blowout city.

More of this "exciting" preview to come...

Reactions: AHSFan2019
Thanks Kiddmann. Maybe I will see you out there later in week. You still sitting behind scorers?

Yup, several rows up behind the scorers. Not sure how many days I'm gonna stay... I have a motel for the first night only and will be there for that and the next day (my birthday present to myself!), and am likely to extend that stay... We'll see. :)

Back to the epic preview...

1pm: Tracy (7-3) v. Weston Ranch (9-1)
Interesting game here... On the surface it looks like Ranch should be a fairly heavy favorite, but Tracy tends to show up pretty well in this tournament (or at least, that's what I remember). Ranch looked solid in their win at San Leandro last week, however... If they can bring that effort, they'll be very tough. They have played one common opponent, Ranch beating Ripon by 15 and Tracy losing to them by about 20. That adds up to 35 points difference, but I'll bet this will be a good bit closer than that... But I do think Ranch should win fairly comfortably.

2:30pm: Vanden v. Bakersfield Christian (both 8-2)
I said in another thread awhile back that the four Bakersfield teams in this tourney would likely go 0-4 in the first round, but I think this one should be the closest of the four. Vanden is on a roll right now, having won six in a row. Bakersfield Chr. lost its last, to a solid Clovis North team. Overall, Vanden's schedule has been somewhat tougher, and I'll go with Vanden to get this one... Could be close, tho.

4pm: Centennial (5-7) v. Manteca (9-2)
Gasp! Someone (Centennial) actually has put up stats to Maxpreps! They're only shooting 36%, which probably explains their record... Their SOS is rated slightly higher than Manteca's, but I have an idea Manteca's size will win out.

5:30: St. Pat's-St Vincent (3-4) v. Turlock (6-6)
St. Pat's started slow with three straight losses, but then won their next three before losing in OT to a tough Albany squad. Turlock has split their games while playing a much weaker slate. At least they've put up stats... St. Pat's should win pretty comfortably.

7pm: Modesto Christian (6-3) v. Ripon (4-7)
MC is flat loaded... Their three losses are against top-notch foes, and they have pounded all others, even beating otherwise undefeated Clovis West by 15. Ripon, well... tries hard. However, they do have a win over Tracy. MC should run off with this one... Interesting note: According to the Sac-Joaquin website, transfers become eligible Dec. 28... If true, that would make them eligible to play in the semi's.

8:30: Foothill-Bakersfield (5-5) v. Beyer (9-2)
Foothill has lost to two teams in this tournament and neither was very close, though losing to Clovis West by 19 isn't awful... Beyer won the Modesto City Classic, something they seem to do just about every year, but they lost to 3-11 Bear Creek awhile back. Their SOS is a super-weak 0.2, also. So maybe THIS is Bakersfield's shot at a first-round win.. But I'll go with Beyer.

Campo 20-Lincoln 19 after 1, both teams trading score after score

Just noticed Ahazie isn’t dressed for Campo, nor is Carter Mahaney. That’s two maaaaajor pieces.

Campo closes the half in style with a sweet no-look pass to a score... but Lincoln leads 46-45.

String of treys for Campo making it 66-58 Campo with 4:22 left in third

Campo gets a nice run going... 66-58. Lincoln’s def. hitting tho.... This game’s gonna wear out the scoreboard!

Quarter ends 75-73 Campo after a Lincoln 3ball goes around the rim like 6 times and falls at the buzzer!

Game 1 Final: Campolindo 96-Lincoln 84, Campolindo plays Foothill (Bakersfield)-Beyer winner at 7:30pm tomorrow. Lincoln plays Foothill (Bakersfield)-Beyer loser at 1:30pm tomorrow.

Nice touch in the tourney program... The names of the top players on each team are in bold type, marked as players to watch... GREAT idea!

And I thought the LAST game was gonna break the scoreboard... 34-23 Clovis West after 1

Just saw the last 5 running-clock minutes.... Clovis West is impressive... Long, fast guard-forward types, a gaggle of ‘em!

Weston Ranch leads Tracy 18-13 after 1... High-action if somewhat ragged play...

Tracy fighting back this q, but just can’t seem to make a dent in the lead... 52-35 with a minute to go in the 3rd.

Ranch putting in a strong show here... Program says they’re D4, but they don’t look it... Not a whole lot of size, but a ton of speed and bounce!

MaxPreps has Ranch in D3... Whatever they are, they’ll be hard to deal with!

In the early going, Vanden leads Bakersfield Christian 10-7.

Btw, the program didn’t get the memo that the Martinez brothers are no longer at Vanden...

Vanden threatening to take this one over... Bakersfield Chr. Needs a spark. 66-52 Vanden, halfway thru 4th.

Bakers Chr playing the hack n hope game now... Vanden starts racking up the FT’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT