ADVERTISEMENT

NCS playoffs

bones40

Sports Fanatic
Apr 3, 2014
With the playoffs a week away wanted to get opinions on who are the top 4 seeds in D 1,2,and 3. this should be an exciting two weeks of games with some tough choices as to which games do you go and see. Here is my take D 1.top seed MV SRV 2 (I have them beating Dela this wk)
Dela 3 San leandro 4
D 2 El Cerrito top seed Montgomery 2 Dublin 3 case grade 4
D 3 O'dowd top seed Campo 2 moreau 3 drake 4

Bones,

Nice picks but im still on the fence in D1 about Mv and De la.Its just hard to bet against Alloco come playoff time...And in D3 I think Moreau Catholic is the sleeper pick.Moreau will face Campo for the right to face Odowd.Campo and Hansen is solid but I believe Moreau is too fast and Frayer is an athletic big guy which might give Campo trouble...Ec will be strong in D2 but Montgomery will be tough as they are big and their point guard is a sharp shooter.In D4 should be a tossup between St.Marys, Salesian and Cardinal Newman.

DJ, I think he was just talking about seedings, not the actual results of the playoffs. That being said, as hard as it is to bet against Allocco, I believe Nick Jones has now beaten him 5 times in a row and something like 7 or 8 times in the past 4 or 5 years. The 2 MV-DLS meetings have been great games this year, and I'm sure if they meet again at NCS it will be another barn burner. Both teams need to worry about playing at SRV this week before getting ready for the playoffs.

NCS should be as competitive as a field as I can recall.

In D1 you have 3 teams that can all beat each over on any given night. DLS, MV, and SRV. MV seems to have DLS # so you sort of have to go with them as favorite. I think not having a presence like Asiasi in the middle this year as really hut DLS. Also San Leandro is a darkhorse who could spoil the day for one of the above.

D2 I think EC will be too athletic for Monty but if Monty can slow it down and keep game in the 50's they have a chance. The big kid should have a field day. He's starting to really put up good #'s. Bet he ends up going D1 at a local school. You can't 6"11 and athletic.

D3- I don't see Moreau beating Campo. They make too many mistakes. It will be Campo and ODOWD in finals. Drake seems to have fallen off

D4- Might be the closets on paper. Salesian, St Marys, Newman, and St Pats.... Wow. To close to call.

Larry,
I have seen Monty play a few times this year. They have ZERO chance to take NCS DII. They have one decent guard and a soft "like charmin" big man. They will get blown out against EC.

In regards to big guy at Monty he lacks consistency. I saw him tear up Campo and Hanson early
in the year and then there are nights when he drifts and is is not active at all.If i was
santa clara or san jose st i would take him as someone said you can'take teach 6'11.I think in D 2 it will be Dublin getting past Monty in the semi's and losing to El Cerrito in the finals.

Originally posted by bones40:
In regards to big guy at Monty he lacks consistency. I saw him tear up Campo and Hanson early
in the year and then there are nights when he drifts and is is not active at all.If i was
santa clara or san jose st i would take him as someone said you can'take teach 6'11.I think in D 2 it will be Dublin getting past Monty in the semi's and losing to El Cerrito in the finals.
I just saw Dublin lose to a pedestrian Miramonte team last week, and was not impressed. The Falls kid is a player though.

@ observer 22 I agree there is nothing special at all all about Dublin and there defense is sometimes poor to put it nice.my reason for picking them over Monty is only based on the the fact that they will put up 70 or more points and I don't think Monty can match that.If falls and Knox get it going they will outscore monty.

I see it as:

D1 = MV, DLS, SRV, San Leandro (straight up who beat who)
D2 = EC, Montgomery, Dublin, Las Lomas (really tight after EC)
D3 = BOD, Moreau, Drake, Campo (Moreau beat Drake, Drake beat Campo)

I've heard similar about the Monty kid.I hear some nights he's on but most night he's soft and doesn't have strength of Hansen so he gets pushed around against physical teams.But from what I hear it's the point guard of Montgomery that makes the team go so if he's on maybe they give Ec a run...El Cerrito's big man is only 6"7" but he is bulky and not easy to move around. montgomery's best chance against Ec would be to slow game down and feed the big man.This Ec team is very fast athletic deep and play good team defense.. But they will struggle against a team with a good big man..

D1 = Monte Vista, San Ramon, De La Salle & Freedom or Berkeley
D2 = El Cerrito, Dublin, Montgomery & Las Lomas. Mont will probably get #2 if league champ.
D3 = Bishop O'Dowd, Moreau Catholic, Campo & Drake (but you I see your point about head to head)

D1 Field & not in order of seeding = Monte Vista, San Ramon, De La Salle, Granada, Amador Valley, Foothill, Dougherty Valley, Berkeley, Freedom, Liberty, Heritage, Pittsburg, Antioch, College Park, San Leandro & Castro Valley. Outside looking in = James Logan & Clayton Charter

EBAL- 6 teams
BVAL- 5 teams
WACC- 3 teams
DFAL- 1 team
DVAL- 1 team

For the record a Monty win over EC would be a huge upset. Monty is very well coached. Fitchie and Tiedemann will have some tricks up there sleeve. Its Monty's guard that makes them go. I've seen so many 6"11 stiffs play and this kid isn't one of them. He will get picked up locally by a D1 school. He can shoot 3's and shoots probably 80 % or better from the line.

To have a chance against Ec Monty will have to get the big guy going Ec will lock down the guard but the midmatch will be the big guy they have nobody to contain him..2nd for Monty what kind of defensive team are they? Ec has 4 starters who can all score in double figures they can all drive to the hoop and they can all shoot the 3 plus they have 3 bench players who can score. How deep is Monty's bench? Can they keep up with Ec who likes to run all game? ....Hansen from Campo destroyed Ec but he got tired in 4th quarter and no one else stepped up.....That said I think Montgomery is easily the 2 seed and can give Ec a scare

DJ- I agree with you. On paper EC is a good 10 pt favorite to me. I've seen both teams play a few times in person and Monty doesn't have the quickness or athletes that EC does. With that said Monty is like MV and DLS in a way. They will grind you out and make 4-5 passes before they get a good shot. They usually make very few mental mistakes. They play great team D and have a couple guards that can shoot it. They have a 6"8 forward and a 6"11 center so they have good size. Also, they've played a very good schedule this year so its not like they will be intimidated come playoff time.

They have a 15pt win against Campo early in the season holding them to 37 pts
They've lost to Folsom 2x.
Split with Cardinal Newman who is 24-2.
Lost to St Augustine from SD without Septimo.

Also its hard to look at them mid year because the guard was out. Right now this is a dangerous team who is 8-0 since Septimo returned. I think they will meet Newman for the NBL champ on Friday night. Would be a great tuneup for both teams.

Nice article with video on Septimo here. From what I've seen, he's still a little gimpy. He can have a great game, so I think they'll win the NBL tournament, but I'm not sure he is healthy enough to string a bunch of great games together like he'll have to win NCS.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/3521552-181/benefield-montgomery-high-schools-michael?page=0

Quaffer- The ULTIMATE SONOMA COUNTY HOMER
uzi.r191677.gif

Why are you picking another fight with me you asinine mullet-head? I just posted a link relevant to a player under discussion. Go back to the football board. Everybody loves you there.
roll.r191677.gif

I just had to check in with you. I had to let you know I was here...

And I still own you...
uzi.r191677.gif

Oh, yeah, you own me. Just like the Knicks own the Warriors. Like the Raiders own the Patriots. Like a baby dear owns a mountain lion.

If only saying stupid things over and over made them so, you'd rule the world, Troll.

But do me one favor, please. Stay away from baseball. It would be too bad if you tried to ruin that too.

Feeding the Troll

Hey, Troll. Grab yourself some Chic-fil-a and enjoy this nicely done video retrospective of Coach Fitchie's career at Mongtomery:

http://www.ysn365.com/video/coach-tom-fitchie-tribute-video/

You're welcome.

LOL nice video...

You are a total, and complete HOMER
laugh.r191677.gif

There is a world outside of Sonoma County...I hope you are aware
uzi.r191677.gif

Oh, and didn't you guy's JUST get a Chick-fil-a in Santa Rosa!? You DO know that is a chain place right? LOL
This post was edited on 2/19 4:25 PM by G61

Oh, sheeze....

You probably won't understand, but I'll try to explain it real slowly.

------------------------------

You have repeatedly made a lame comments about SoCo people not knowing Chic-fil-a is a chain. The first time may have been vaguely amusing. After that it was just stupid.

I parried that back at you by telling you to grab some Chick-fil-a.

------------------------

It really should not be that difficult to grasp, but obviously you're a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Larry....

the 6'8 kid is academically ineligible for Monty.....hasn't played since the new year started.

and it is only fitting that Monty and CN meet for that game tomorrow...

no better way for coach Fitchie to go out than against his nemesis...there have been alot of legendary
games between these 2 schools in Sonoma county overt the years....perfect ending as far as I am concerned.

Quaffer still thinks Coddingtown is a cool hangout! LOL
uzi.r191677.gif

Get out of the bubble you loser!

Just looked at D1 for NCS and it looks like there will be some controversy at the bottom half of the bracket with 18 eligible teams. Clayton Valley will probably get in on the strength of their win over College Park. American or James Logan will have the inside track depending on their outcomes tomorrow with Moreau and Washington respectively. The BVAL doesn't deserve 5 representatives because that league is horrible this year. Freedom is walking through undefeated and they're nowhere near that good. Antioch or Heritage will probably fall short considering the MVAL will get at least one in but both should be left hanging since Granada might hold a slight edge over them (forget that early Heritage win).

Bumpy, I posted this about the NCS D1 situation yesterday an a different thread. I counted 19 potentially eligible teams.

For NCS D1, the top 3 seeds almost have to be 1) MV, 2) DLS and 3) SRV, even if SRV beats MV Friday. Those are the top 3 teams in D1 by far and MV beat DLS twice while DLS beat SRV twice. I don't see any of these 3 teams being beaten prior to the semis.

Freedom has won the BVAL and is undefeated in league at 9-0, but they were 7-9 in the preseason and you have to wonder just how good the BVAL was this year. San Leandro, Berkeley and Castro Valley are all good teams, but should all fall in the 4-8 seeding zone along with Freedom & College Park who coughed up a 10 point 4th quater lead last night to an average CVC team. SL has wins over Berkeley, Freedon, CV & CP, but they have also lost to Berkeley, Freedom & CV.

AV, Dougherty, Liberty, Foothill, Heritage, Antioch, CVC, Pittsburg, Granada, Logan and American in no particular order should all fight for the remaining 9-16 spots, with 3 of them falling short.

Yes you did Observer (I missed your post) and to top it off, I can't count either. Although now I see if Irvington can get another win over Newark Memorial (really!! Who would have believed that was possible), they would be the 20th eligible team.

D1 is a crapshoot from top to bottom. Jones at MV has done the best coaching job by far and presents the best bet but they'll slip somewhere along the way. DLS always deserves the benefit of a doubt but that hole in the middle has hurt them. If MV doesn't make it though, DLS is the next best thing. No news there.

My dark horse is College Park. The new coach is learning on the job but he is learning. The field is wide open for teams like this to get hot and surprise everyone. A couple of other teams could say the same thing but I'll go with CP.

Bumpy, now that you mention it Irvington is 7-6 in league, so even if they lose tonight to Newark they'll still be .500 in league and playoff eligible. That means 20 are eligible and 4 teams will be left out.

Unless they've changed the criteria, a team has to have a winning record in their league, division or overall. Irvington can pull it off though. The cupboard must really be empty if Ashmore is losing in league. That's like an extinction level event.

Originally posted by noknight:
I see it as:

D1 = MV, DLS, SRV, San Leandro (straight up who beat who)
D2 = EC, Montgomery, Dublin, Las Lomas (really tight after EC)
D3 = BOD, Moreau, Drake, Campo (Moreau beat Drake, Drake beat Campo)
Only missed on San Leandro, who fell to a 6 seed.

I'm going to say the finals will be MV over SRV, El Cerrito over Monty and O'Dowd over Moreau.

Open will be MV, EC and BOD

(edited because NCS is probably only getting 3 teams into the open)
This post was edited on 2/22 1:29 PM by noknight

The 4 D1 teams that were left out were CVC, Logan, American & Irvington. As expected, the top 3 seeds were MV, DLS & SRV. Freedom, Berkeley & SL are 4-6, while AV got the 7th seed with their win over Foothill Friday night. College Park slid all the way to #12 after their loss to CVC last week, despite a 22-6 record, and winning both the regular season & playoff DVAL titles and beating CVC soundly in the rematch last night. #5 Berkeley has to play at CP Tuesday night since CP is a league champ in what could be the best 1st round match up. Foothill at CV, Granada at SL and Heritage at AV are good match ups too, but the winners of those games get thrown to the Wolves in round 2 by having to play at the top 3 seeds. Should be some fun hoop action.

(1) MONTE VISTA (EBAL) 23-3*
AT MONTE VISTA HS - 8:00 PM (16) ANTIOCH (BVAL) 14-12

(8) CASTRO VALLEY (WACC-F) 16-9
AT CASTRO VALLEY HS - 6:30 PM (9) FOOTHILL (EBAL) 16-10

(4) FREEDOM (BVAL) 17-9*
AT FREEDOM HS - 7:00 PM (13) PITTSBURG (BVAL) 16-10

(5) BERKELEY (WACC-F) 17-9
AT COLLEGE PARK HS - 7:00 PM (12) COLLEGE PARK (DVAL) 22-6*

(2) DE LA SALLE (EBAL) 23-3
AT DE LA SALLE HS - 8:00 PM (15) LIBERTY (BVAL) 17-9

(7) AMADOR VALLEY (EBAL) 15-11
AT AMADOR VALLEY HS - 7:00 PM (10) HERITAGE (BVAL) 15-11