ADVERTISEMENT

Newman wins thriller!! 30-27!!!

larry legend33

Hall of Famer
Silver Member
Dec 4, 2007
Great night for football. Stadium up in Auburn is gorgeous. Field is brand spanking new. Should be a good one.

Great opening 80 yd drive by Newman as Moran punched it I from 2.
6-0 newman extra point botched

Nice answer by Hillman. They march down and score. 7-6 placer. They have a heck of a kicker

Newman kicks a 43 yard FG and clock was at zero and they are making them redo.. can you say hometown. Very strange

16-14 newman 1:31 left in half.
Newman D having issues slowing down run game of placer. Good game so far.

21-16 placer halftime. Very impressive half by Hillman. Newman having issues at line stopping run.

Hillman answer
27-22 Hillman

Bad personal foul call on Newman gave placer first down and they did rest

Feels like playoffs in sept!

9 min left in 4th

One of greatest Hs football games I’ve seen
Pavitt the unitmate leader and hats off to placer. What a program.

What a GREAT game up here in Hillmen country,Placer is reloading a little this yr but they’re getting better.They gave a good and also young Cardinal Newman team all they could handle!Placer fumbles late after taking over on downs on a great goal line stand at Placer 26 with 3 min to play and hillmen up 27-22.Placer defense went right back to work and forced a 3rd and goal from the 8 with 10 seconds remaining on the clock,Pavitt from Cardinal Newman(very good QB)throws corner pass and wr goes high to catch game winner with 4 ticks on the clock....TD CN plus 2 pt conversion.....game over!Final Cardinal Newman 30 Placer 27.....tough loss for Placer they played their butts off tonite.Placer learning quick with this preseason schedule,they go to Vista Del Lago next fri and they finish up pre season with the Dragons of Bishop O’Dowd in 2 weeks...these games will get these Hillmen ready for league play in FVL.Fantastic game tonite,on a BEAUTIFUL new field.A big thank you to Larry legend33 for the updates throughout game.This was a great game to watch tonite between 2 well matched and storied programs,bravo to BOTH teams. Go Placer

Last edited:
Reactions: larry legend33
Totally agree. That is a heck of a team placer has. What a great venue. Newman struggled at times tnite but was big when.they needed to be. #9 Nunnally is a tough matchup at 6”3 and long. He’s going to be a good one at WR. The Moran brothers were incredible. #10 and #4. Newman pretty jr rich team. They lack that elite size but quickness and skill players as good as they get in HS.

Newman goes 3-0 after 2 tough road games in SJS. They get a rest and then play powerhouse Liberty on 9-21.

Reactions: championcif75
Great game, but still believe Cardinal Newman is overrated at #7. Placer is a decent team...QB's father is a long time friend of mine. Placer is good, but not as strong as last season as is Cardinal Newman or their earlier competition. Great game though but both teams are probably in the 15-20 range for top 20. Not to say they aren't good teams and a great game.

Great game, but still believe Cardinal Newman is overrated at #7.

In talking to @championcif75 after the game, the Hillmen should have won it. They were running the clock down and fumbled it thus giving Newman life.

It seems clear to me that Placer is at the same level as CN at the very least. And Placer isn’t worthy of #7 in NorCal. Not right now, anyway. Although with all their youth and experiences like last night, look out for them come playoff time.....

In talking to @championcif75 after the game, the Hillmen should have won it. They were running the clock down and fumbled it thus giving Newman life.
I guess if you don't want to give credit to the OLB blowing up the trap block and disrupting the pitch. I don't think losing at home puts you on equal footing with any team.

I
I guess if you don't want to give credit to the OLB blowing up the trap block and disrupting the pitch. I don't think losing at home puts you on equal footing with any team.
I think Placer played Cardinal Newman very well,when your the home team and take over on downs deep in your territory and you are UP 27-22 and unfortunately fumble the ball away on a 3rd and 5 on your 26 yd line with 1:45 on the clock and weren’t able to PUNT the ball away and with 10 seconds remaining a very good QB throws a TD for the win.....I would say the home team was every bit on equal footing if not better than their opposition if not for the unfortunate fumble!Both teams were very well matched and either time could have won.Placer is fairly young this yr after graduating a ton of talent last yr,talent that played in the D4 state championship down south vs Crenshaw and lost 46-43 in 2017,the same talent that moved up to a new D3 FVL League and won and managed to go to SJS D3 Championship 26-23 in 2018.So for this fairly young 2019 Hillmen team to play a fairly young as well Cardinal Newman team with a very good QB in Pavitt and be ahead 27-22 with 1:45 on the clock before unfortunately fumbling the ball away,I would say the home team was on equal footing if not better!Great game to watch by two very evenly matched teams,regardless if an OLB blew up a play or not it was very unfortunate at that point in the game.....for Placer!Congratulations to BOTH teams,they battled each other very well ALL GAME!

Last edited:
Reactions: FootballJunkie101
It was very evenly matched. I was there. It wasnt a great match up for Newman to be honest. Big strong team that runs will give Newman issues. Newman skill players much better. Pavitt And receivers picked apart them all night. Placer line and big RB were very good. They did a nice job all game chewing up yards and the clock.
It’s always hard to win on the road especially given the circumstances. Give credit to Newman for escaping. Great teams do that.
Honestly was that one of Placers biggest non SJS home games ever? New field...

Newman was on wrong end of a few big calls as well.
1. Targeting personal foul in 2nd on 3rd down led to first down and score. Questionable..
2. Fumble recovered near placer sideline called off.
3. Debacle at end of 1 newman kicker hits 43 yard FG and they screwed up clock and made him re kick. Never seen that and kid nails it again. Could have been difference in game. Btw both teams great kickers.

Placer will be a hard out. Wouldn’t be surprised if they run table from here. Excellent team. Newman could give Liberty issues as well in 2 weeks. Both teams aren’t same team as last year. Newman 1-2 lineman away from being legit top 10 NorCal team. I would say 10-12 is probably where they belong.

Like I said before it was a great HS game played the way football was meant to be played.

Last edited:
It was very evenly matched. I was there. It wasnt a great match up for Newman to be honest. Big strong team that runs will give Newman issues. Newman skill players much better. Pavitt And receivers picked apart them all night. Placer line and big RB were very good. They did a nice job all game chewing up yards and the clock.
It’s always hard to win on the road especially given the circumstances. Give credit to Newman for escaping. Great teams do that.
Honestly was that one of Placers biggest non SJS home games ever? New field...

Newman was on wrong end of a few big calls as well.
1. Targeting personal foul in 2nd on 3rd down led to first down and score. Questionable..
2. Fumble recovered near placer sideline called off.
3. Debacle at end of 1 newman kicker hits 43 yard FG and they screwed up clock and made him re kick. Never seen that and kid nails it again. Could have been difference in game. Btw both teams great kickers.

Placer will be a hard out. Wouldn’t be surprised if they run table from here. Excellent team. Newman could give Liberty issues as well in 2 weeks. Not same team as last year.
Larry legend33 thanks for your updates during game and your thoughts on the game,pretty much spot on.As for this Placer team running the table i’m a lil more reserved than you are right now....last couple yrs absolutely not.But the Hillmen visit an always decent Vista Del Lago than entertain my old frosh and soph alma matre Bishop O’Dowd at home,so as I said i’m a bit more reserved at Placer running the table,not that it’s not possible just a little more reserved than I would have been if it were the 2017,18 Hillmen.As for O’Dowd I read somewhere they are a little down this yr than in past as they start out at 0-2 thus far,I believe that like Cardinal Newman the O’Dowd game will be another exciting game for this Placer squad.Your thoughts?

I can't give credit for something I didn't see or know about. Just commenting on what I was told happened.

I

I think Placer played Cardinal Newman very well,when your the home team and take over on downs deep in your territory and you are UP 27-22 and unfortunately fumble the ball away on a 3rd and 5 on your 26 yd line with 1:45 on the clock and weren’t able to PUNT the ball away and with 10 seconds remaining a very good QB throws a TD for the win.....I would say the home team was every bit on equal footing if not better than their opposition if not for the unfortunate fumble!Both teams were very well matched and either time could have won.Placer is fairly young this yr after graduating a ton of talent last yr,talent that played in the D4 state championship down south vs Crenshaw and lost 46-43 in 2017,the same talent that moved up to a new D3 FVL League and won and managed to go to SJS D3 Championship 26-23 in 2018.So for this fairly young 2019 Hillmen team to play a fairly young as well Cardinal Newman team with a very good QB in Pavitt and be ahead 27-22 with 1:45 on the clock before unfortunately fumbling the ball away,I would say the home team was on equal footing if not better!Great game to watch by two very evenly matched teams,regardless if an OLB blew up a play or not it was very unfortunate at that point in the game.....for Placer!Congratulations to BOTH teams,they battled each other very well ALL GAME!
Plays are made all throughout the game. It was just as unfortunate depending on your perspective that Placer was able to make a huge play right before the end of the half despite Placer guard tackling the LB at the LOS. It was a great game! Not discounting that. Hard to match the energy of first home game of the year on a brand new field.

That said here is where Placer is better than a year ago. QB is much better passer than last year. RB a year older, bigger, stronger Grassman is as advertised. SR Wing Whigham might be the best talent in the backfield and looks like is more solid version of last year. TE that guy is tough and is an upgrade, CB both corners looked more solid than a year ago. DL moving Grassman to DE makes your DE an upgrade even though that guy was a stud last year. Weak side OL is the one area that is not as strong as a year ago but since Placer runs a lot of unbalanced sets it really only affects pass game.

Good luck on the rest of the year

Larry legend33 thanks for your updates during game and your thoughts on the game,pretty much spot on.As for this Placer team running the table i’m a lil more reserved than you are right now....last couple yrs absolutely not.But the Hillmen visit an always decent Vista Del Lago than entertain my old frosh and soph alma matre Bishop O’Dowd at home,so as I said i’m a bit more reserved at Placer running the table,not that it’s not possible just a little more reserved than I would have been if it were the 2017,18 Hillmen.As for O’Dowd I read somewhere they are a little down this yr than in past as they start out at 0-2 thus far,I believe that like Cardinal Newman the O’Dowd game will be another exciting game for this Placer squad.Your thoughts?

No problem. Was a real treat for me to be there. Great fans and venue. Top notch snack bar too.

I think ODOWD is down from what I read but you never know. Vista Is 3-0 after a thrilling victory over CR but you guys have played a much tougher schedule. I like your chances. That is a good football team you got!

No problem. Was a real treat for me to be there. Great fans and venue. Top notch snack bar too.

I think ODOWD is down from what I read but you never know. Vista Is 3-0 after a thrilling victory over CR but you guys have played a much tougher schedule. I like your chances. That is a good football team you got!
ODowd is down.

Question for those who attended this game; would you say that CN is overrated in Norcal at #7, or is Placer underrated by not being ranked? Seems like a game that could’ve maybe gone either way, so hard to see such a gap between these two in the rankings

MRBIG64- I was in attendance and here are my thoughts.
Newman is more of a 10-15 type team this year but last year was more of a legit top 7 type team. They had 1 loss and it was much closer than the score to Liberty.
Placer is much better than there record. They could be 3-0 right now. But I'm not discounting a 3+ hour road trip to one of the best venues in Norcal either. Plus this was the first game on new field. Impressive win for Newman on the road.

Newman might prove to be over ranked at #7, but I would throw it back this way:

What has the team's shown behind them?

Newman has one of the best quarterbacks in the region, one of the best coaches in the region and a good collection of players to play RB/WR/LB/DB. They are small and don't have great depth. They have played closer than expected games at Sutter and Placer.

At least in our rankings, team that follow include St. Francis (physical, size, but very limited on offense and lack speed), Pittsburg (big play potential, but don't have the same high end size and speed as past years), Oak Ridge (good QB play from Lamson, good skill guys, solid line play), St. Mary's (see Pittsburg), Wilcox (strong running game, but a notch below last year), Clayton Valley Charter (good running game, played well against strong comp), Inderkum (good running game, good coaching, quality wins over Elk Grove and Del Oro).

Who definitely needs to move up past Cardinal Newman?

I can see the case for a different order, but I'm fine with Cardinal Newman leading the pack as of now too.

It speaks more to a lack of depth of top teams this year. It is looking like 5 higher end teams this year with the jury out on Menlo-Atherton.

Reactions: FBAddict

Newman has one of the best quarterbacks in the region, one of the best coaches in the region and a good collection of players to play RB/WR/LB/DB. They are small and don't have great depth. They have played closer than expected games at Sutter and Placer.

At least in our rankings, team that follow include St. Francis (physical, size, but very limited on offense and lack speed), Pittsburg (big play potential, but don't have the same high end size and speed as past years), Oak Ridge (good QB play from Lamson, good skill guys, solid line play), St. Mary's (see Pittsburg), Wilcox (strong running game, but a notch below last year), Clayton Valley Charter (good running game, played well against strong comp), Inderkum (good running game, good coaching, quality wins over Elk Grove and Del Oro).

I can see the case for a different order, but I'm fine with Cardinal Newman leading the pack as of now too.

It speaks more to a lack of depth of top teams this year. It is looking like 5 higher end teams this year with the jury out on Menlo-Atherton.

I think Mack beats CN in a close one and wouldn’t surprise to see MC beat them too in D4 finals.....also CVC probably beats them along with Pitt and St Mary’s ......but all those would be good games so yes it’s kinda not clear this year

Agreed. Overall after 5 its a bit squishy. Nunnally at WR could end up being their most highly recruited player as well. That kid has big time upside and checks all the boxes. Elite size, speed, hands. etc. He's a rangy 6"3 right now as a JR.
The Moran brothers are incredible athletes. They play Liberty next week. People will go to watch Butterfield and walk away impressed with Pavitt. I wouldn't be surprised if its a close game. Like I said before Newman is a couple lineman away from being an elite type team at their level.

I think Mack beats CN in a close one and wouldn’t surprise to see MC beat them too in D4 finals.....also CVC probably beats them along with Pitt and St Mary’s ......but all those would be good games so yes it’s kinda not clear this year
Not so sure after seeing a closer than expected Mack vs Encinal score.

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
I type almost all of these post from my phone, Im sorry for any typos.

Ratings are hard to figure out early and fairly useless for a lil while. What I will say is that there could be a bias in seeding when looking at seeding committee (my guess is a few voters dont get to see all the teams seeded in the playoffs) those voters could go off of rankings. These voters might be making seedings on biased opinions or opinions posted as truths, sounds like real life lol.

My opinion is this:
If you lost to a team last year or have a consistant dominance over another program recently and both teams are an unknown based on returners, then the winner should always be ranked higher. I know we but D.O. this yr but their past years D's whooped our O, no fricking way we should have been ranked ahead of them till we could prove it on the field.

Now we have teams being ranked very high that don't have playoff success over some of the most dominant programs in our sections history. Not saying these teams are not improved, not saying they don't deserve, just saying as a coach...it doesnt matter and a program has not proved a thing till the numbers on the scoreboard are at zero's and the scoreboard is in their favor.

Just my .02 cents felllas

Last edited:
Should be ranked higher than Newman in my opinion:

Clayton Valley Charter – 1-1 – Win over Turlock and OT loss (missed extrapoint) to Liberty

Oak Ridge – 2-0 and possibly stronger schedule

Pittsburg (2-1) win over St Mary’s and loss to Serra

St. Mary's – loss to 2-1 Pittsburg and win over Central catholic (which had killer schedule)

Monterey Trail (3-0) - Dominated Sheldon, Spanish Springs and San Ramon Vallley. Only loss last season was Folsom.

Monte Vista- Danville (2-0) wins over Granite Bay and San Leandro

Indekum (3-0) win over Del Oro

Possibly better -

St Francis (0-2)

Granite Bay (2-1)

McClymonds (2-0) – Wins over a very good Marin Catholic (that could be better than Newman) and Encinal.

Oakdale (2-1)

Wilcox (Santa Clara, CA) – close game with VC and defeated San Benito

Salinas – (1-0) – favorite in relatively strong league. Should be as good as last season and top tier QB Maybe top Norcal QB).

Turlock (2-1)

Campolindo (3-0) win over Amador Valley

There are several teams including above and others that may lose a game early put will improve dramatically. Just think Cardinal Newman schedule looks better than it is. Placer is a decent team and they will improve as well since QB is first year starter and will improve and could have just as easily won game against Newman. Maybe a 15-20 ranked team.

Just believe Newman would have some trouble against some of the more athletic, fast, physical teams and they aren't what they were last season.

It was good to see you there Friday night! Too bad how it turned out but they sure played well and learned a lot and will be very prepared for league in a couple of weeks. Are you going to the Vista game this Friday? If so, I'll see you there. If not I'll look for you in two weeks at the Bishop O'Dowd game.

It was good to see you there Friday night! Too bad how it turned out but they sure played well and learned a lot and will be very prepared for league in a couple of weeks. Are you going to the Vista game this Friday? If so, I'll see you there. If not I'll look for you in two weeks at the Bishop O'Dowd game.
Great to see you,it was a great game the boys played very well,tough loss but vs a very good program...they’re learning!There is a good one between Folsom and DeLaSalle at Folsom,was contemplating but since they aren’t too far from each other I may.....heck i’m really contemplating,lol.I will be in the area for sure!But yes,O’Dowd for sure please stop by.....Go Placer

But I'm not discounting a 3+ hour road trip to one of the best venues in Norcal either. Plus this was the first game on new field. Impressive win for Newman on the road.

Where were you when I was defending the home field advantage effect in another thread? Lol.

Should be ranked higher than Newman in my opinion:

Clayton Valley Charter – 1-1 – Win over Turlock and OT loss (missed extrapoint) to Liberty

Oak Ridge – 2-0 and possibly stronger schedule

Pittsburg (2-1) win over St Mary’s and loss to Serra

St. Mary's – loss to 2-1 Pittsburg and win over Central catholic (which had killer schedule)

Monterey Trail (3-0) - Dominated Sheldon, Spanish Springs and San Ramon Vallley. Only loss last season was Folsom.

Monte Vista- Danville (2-0) wins over Granite Bay and San Leandro

Indekum (3-0) win over Del Oro

Possibly better -

St Francis (0-2)

Granite Bay (2-1)

McClymonds (2-0) – Wins over a very good Marin Catholic (that could be better than Newman) and Encinal.

Oakdale (2-1)

Wilcox (Santa Clara, CA) – close game with VC and defeated San Benito

Salinas – (1-0) – favorite in relatively strong league. Should be as good as last season and top tier QB Maybe top Norcal QB).

Turlock (2-1)

Campolindo (3-0) win over Amador Valley

There are several teams including above and others that may lose a game early put will improve dramatically. Just think Cardinal Newman schedule looks better than it is. Placer is a decent team and they will improve as well since QB is first year starter and will improve and could have just as easily won game against Newman. Maybe a 15-20 ranked team.

Just believe Newman would have some trouble against some of the more athletic, fast, physical teams and they aren't what they were last season.
Phew! That’s a long list! You might have left a few more out

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT