ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Bowl Games Scoreboard

Great post!…. This is why I don’t care about “Ratings” generated by a computer….

CN supposedly rated higher the Serra but loses 41-0 to DLS…. These are HS kids and not robots and there is alot that goes into a FB game with Coaching, etc….

Just imagine if CN was Chosen for the open over Serra because of their 13-0 Record becaus of the. Imputed rated them higher than Serra…. 🤣
Imagine calling Serra frauds if they get boat raced by MD? I wonder how many of these experts will be doing that if MD runs it up? Or better yet what if Serra runs it up on MD does this mean they are all sudden frauds along with the whole southern section by proxy I guess?

Imagine calling Serra frauds if they get boat raced by MD? I wonder how many of these experts will be doing that if MD runs it up? Or better yet what if Serra runs it up on MD does this mean they are all sudden frauds along with the whole southern section by proxy I guess?
So what year did you graduate from Clovis North?

They were clearly an overhyped team. Thank god they didn’t represent NorCal in the open.

Hey Larry, let’s not forget Eddie Vanderdose from little ole Placer…played UCLA and drafted by Oakland Raiders and was in on DL his rookie season and most of 2nd before a knee injury set him back just a few short yrs ago… i just wanted to chime in with one of our D4 strawchewers from Auburn who was blessed to put the pads on Sunday!
😂😂😂😉😉😉
Why not just add Brady, Swann, OJ, M.Lynch, Adams, Rodger’s, the list goes on and on. Point is nobody ever claimed the area or NorCal doesn’t produce pro players! Why even bring it up? Ridiculous.

In fairness, Clovis North had a legit argument. But DLS is apparently annihilating and ending that argument tonight….
Again outcome is frankly meaningless on this game in terms of their worthiness in hosting the game. They earned that right all season. DLS may be the better team great. But they certainly didn’t earn the right to host this game. For that matter I don’t think Folsom has earned the right to host Pitt regardless of outcome tomorrow. You play the season for home field advantage’s etc…..Good for DLS getting the job done tonight at home, but honestly changes nothing in terms of Clovis complaints here.

No, Clovis North did not have any argument to host the game, nor did they earn anything of the sort.

Guys, we've literally had this same format for over 10 years. The very first play-in game saw De La Salle travel to play Folsom. These games have never been seeded. No team has ever "earned" a home regional game. CIF has always distributed them around the state. Any complaints of being slighted for this are completely without merit.

Grant will be playing La Serna who put up a 42 point 2nd half to win 49-32

I watched a lot of that game. In the first half, Orange Vista played pretty well and La Serna looked like they were just trying to hold on. OV seemed to have a size advantage, which will only get worse with Grant.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Hats off to Grant tonight. The domination was impressive. Good luck in state. The speed and athleticism was truly impressive. Had a fun time watching those DPH kids ball out.

Thunder can be proud of the season they had. It stings for sure, but the heart to compete and not quit is special.

Yes, the Pacers really showed out tonight. Great performance.

I also think that tonight also reminded us of the fluidity of high school football. You never know with some of these games.

No, Clovis North did not have any argument to host the game, nor did they earn anything of the sort.

Guys, we've literally had this same format for over 10 years. The very first play-in game saw De La Salle travel to play Folsom. These games have never been seeded. No team has ever "earned" a home regional game. CIF has always distributed them around the state. Any complaints of being slighted for this are completely without merit.
Should DLS been made to travel in those games? Probably not. Did the fact they smoked Folsom mean Folsom were fraudulently ranked or something? Probably not. Folsom routinely booked easy or moderate schedules and was hosting these games over DLS. Just because something has been done before or for as long as anybody can remember doesn’t make it right. Is not having playin games right? I personally don’t think so is it being done? Yes. Do I like losers advancing? No. Is it being done? Yes. Look congrats to DLS they handled their business and earned a bowl game, I’m sure in that building or program it’s not the one they wanted but they play on. CN learned a life lesson play the hand life deals and win or lose right or wrong keep moving forward.

Reactions: THEOC89
One of the things I was thinking about while watching the Grant Rocklin game but didn't give voice to it here last night was how well-coached Grant is now.

Yes, they had a lot of penalties, which is always frustrating (I witnessed a team I followed all season that had to be the most penalized team in the SJS and far exceeded any previous season I had seen...and they deserved it).

Still, the play-calling and the defensive schemes and adjustments were excellent. In addition, they had their kids focused and ready, so hats off to that staff.

We often give a lot of credit to the "groceries," but the chefs also deserve a lot of respect.

Grant will likely roll next week; they're that good.

Last edited:
One of the things I was thinking about while watching the Grant Rocklin game but didn't give voice to it here last night was how well-coached Grant is now.

Yes, they had a lot of penalties, which is always frustrating (I witnessed a team I followed all season that had to be the most penalized team in the SJS and far exceeded any previous season I had seen...and they deserved it).

Still, the play-calling and the defensive schemes and adjustments were excellent. In addition, they had their kids focused and ready, so hats off to that staff.

We often give a lot of credit to the "groceries," but the chefs also deserve a lot of respect.

Couldn’t agree more. That team last night was sensational. Rocklin had a phenomal year and will be back strong next year led by their QB but it’s clear the Pacers program is back and will continue to build momentum. I was really impressed with their ability to stop the run and get to Reeves. 2 things many teams have struggled with.

Also DLS looked a little like old self last night. Wow they were good as well. Another poster commented but I totally agree. That machine is looking strong.

I think the last comment on the groceries and chefs is a really good one, I personally reflect on the players too much. Grant coaching staff deserves respect for getting those lads laser focused. That said it did look like water buffalo's racing against cheetahs. Maybe that's not PC, but they just couldn't keep up outside. Credit Grant for coaching, team preparedness and player making big plays. They will do well in State.

Regarding Rocklins performance I thought during the game that the stage was too big for Sloan at qb, and being as good as he is it will shrink with another season under his belt. After digesting the game, still processing, barring a few plays, guys just weren't open. Grant covered Rocklin really well. Defensively Rocklin couldn't get the edge all night, one jump cut outside and they were in pursuit.

I also think that tonight also reminded us of the fluidity of high school football. You never know with some of these games.
@Cal 14, does that performance change your position on Grant as a team? You were a heavy doubter like many others about them. I agree their league was weak and their schedule wasn't as strong as others. Not trying to call you out but wanted to see if you have a new perspective. Same with others who had doubts as well.

I thought they would win but it be a closer game and more competitive game.

The O line and D line have been playing some good ball! Most of them are underclassmen, Sophomore and freshman. The future looks good.

*Just saw your response BIg after my post. Couldn't agree more!
It’s hard to believe that these kids are primarily freshman and sophomores. And the upperclassmen are extremely athletic! Great combination of size and speed!

Future looks great! Wishing the program good health and much success!

@Cal 14, does that performance change your position on Grant as a team? You were a heavy doubter like many others about them. I agree their league was weak and their schedule wasn't as strong as others. Not trying to call you out but wanted to see if you have a new perspective. Same with others who had doubts as well.

We can all agree that they should never ever see a D3 bracket again

Very true ! Coaches dialed up a great game plan! Great job!

Reactions: BayAreaBorn
Should DLS been made to travel in those games? Probably not. Did the fact they smoked Folsom mean Folsom were fraudulently ranked or something? Probably not. Folsom routinely booked easy or moderate schedules and was hosting these games over DLS. Just because something has been done before or for as long as anybody can remember doesn’t make it right. Is not having playin games right? I personally don’t think so is it being done? Yes. Do I like losers advancing? No. Is it being done? Yes. Look congrats to DLS they handled their business and earned a bowl game, I’m sure in that building or program it’s not the one they wanted but they play on. CN learned a life lesson play the hand life deals and win or lose right or wrong keep moving forward.
The First one was at Folsom (Sac State I Think), The Second one was at DLS (DVC)….

Then Folsom Cried like a Baby and the SJS put forth the Folsom rule, Ruining the open play in game and Handing out Nor Cal’s Top Championship rather then playing for it in the field….

This year, SJB beat MD 28-0 in the regular season…. MD returned the favor in the playoffs…. Who’s to say that DLS wouldn’t win a rematch against Serra if they played again?….. Just like Serra got the chance to do when they lost to ST Francis by 2 TD’s 2 years ago?…..

CN kids should be proud, they had a great year…. If they were mad about the location of the game then shame on their coaches….. It’s an honor to play a Big Time game at Owen Ownes Field which has hosted National Powerhouses and ESPN games for year and the biggest games in Nor Cal…. And the coaches should have had them fired up to play there….

Again, Outstanding season for CN and everyone should be proud…. But 41-0 just shows that they weren’t ready for this no matter where they played…..

I have looked previously and I have never seen anything official from the CIF regarding hosting regional games. No set of priorities or criteria (maybe the exception of suitable facility and capacity). All l’ve unofficially seen them say is they try to spread it around regionally.

Really its no big deal. Get on a bus, take care of business and move on. I swear this whining goes on every year with some teams and fan bases.

Again, Outstanding season for CN and everyone should be proud…. But 41-0 just shows that they weren’t ready for this no matter where they played…..
I’ve been a critic of Alumbaugh but I give credit where it’s due.He obviously saw something on film that told him CN couldn’t handle the veer and he stuck to their strength.What might be more impressive is the defense gave up 0 points

Yes and no.

Did I think that Grant would take this game? No, I did not, but they clearly overwhelmed the Thunder and I hope they do the same to La Serna.

Do I take back what I said about how things didn’t point to a Pacer win? No, I do not… that remains true based on the history of the season. But, fortunately for all of the teams in these games, the results aren’t based on what had a happened in the past. It’s whoever clicks the chinstrap and takes it to their opponent or has an enough luck on their side (looking at you, Birmingham).

I can only hope that the next/last Pacer game is at the same venue as Soquel so that I can watch them win the state title in person.

I have looked previously and I have never seen anything official from the CIF regarding hosting regional games. No set of priorities or criteria (maybe the exception of suitable facility and capacity). All l’ve unofficially seen them say is they try to spread it around regionally.

Really its no big deal. Get on a bus, take care of business and move on. I swear this whining goes on every year with some teams and fan bases.

Exactly. None of this is new. I don’t understand the confusion.

Reactions: bella123
Should DLS been made to travel in those games? Probably not.
We will keep an eye on this transaction next year. I assume if DLS doesn't get the 2024 bid of the SBG Open division, but lands in the regionals, they will travel. It is a recent phenomena where DLS is slated in the regionals instead of Open. But in this recent history DLS has alternated home and travel games.

2021 was the first year DLS did not get the Open bid for SBG since the inception of regionals and modification to by bypass regionals if landing the Open bid. DLS is a good sample because they always find their way into the Bowl games.

2021 Home
2022 Travel
2023 Home
2024 predictions if DLS is in the regionals - Travel

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89

Hear Hear!!! I have always felt the coach was the most important 12th person on the team. I might even say they are the most important #1 in the game. Certainly talent is a very important factor. But a good coach can augment the team success more than the best talent available.

However, I'm all for having best groceries. And a good chef!

The fact that a team like Sacramento Grant would be playing a local neighborhood school from a small suburban district like like La Serna is funny

Grant should be playing D 1A teams.

LA Serna was losing until Orange Vista best RB got hurt

Last edited:
IMO no one will be calling Serra frauds. They earned their good season and played the best teams available. Next year they went and got SJB.

Reactions: THEOC89 and WCAL88
So what year did you graduate from Clovis North?

They were clearly an overhyped team. Thank god they didn’t represent NorCal in the open.
CN did beat JSerra (which was a good win). Sometimes kids just have a bad day. Also I think DLS has really improved and may be better than Serra at this point.

Shocked that you missed this one so bad. 41-14? You tend to get into the minutia so deep that the obvious is missed.

Reactions: remc
CN did beat JSerra (which was a good win). Sometimes kids just have a bad day. Also I think DLS has really improved and may be better than Serra at this point.
The game last night was more than a “bad game”. It was 33-0 at half. DLS called the dogs off or the score would have been worse. DLS best player wasn’t even playing!
CN surely had a bad game but they’re not anywhere close to the likes of Serra, DLS, Folsom, and a few others.

The fact JSerra lost to them isn’t a good look for the TL this year in all honesty.

The game last night was more than a “bad game”. It was 33-0 at half. DLS called the dogs off or the score would have been worse. DLS best player wasn’t even playing!
CN surely had a bad game but they’re not anywhere close to the likes of Serra, DLS, Folsom, and a few others.

The fact JSerra lost to them isn’t a good look for the TL this year in all honesty.
Not necessarily. For young teams the difference between Sept and Nov are pretty significant. Teams have off days. We don't know if key starters were out etc. Alot of factors are involved. I think the CN beating JSerra was a good win for CN and CN had to be pretty darn good to beat JSerra. Not sure why CN looked so terrible vs DLS after running their schedule. Either DLS has improved incredibly, or it was a terrible matchup in styles for CN, or CN was emotionally checked out.

An example of all this is that JSerra beat OLU 24-14 and OLU beat DLS 35-14.

Is that a bad look for DLS and Nor Cal that OLU beat DLS, and then OLU lost to JSerra?

Not necessarily. For young teams the difference between Sept and Nov are pretty significant. Teams have off days. We don't know if key starters were out etc. Alot of factors are involved. I think the CN beating JSerra was a good win for CN and CN had to be pretty darn good to beat JSerra. Not sure why CN looked so terrible vs DLS after running their schedule. Either DLS has improved incredibly, or it was a terrible matchup in styles for CN, or CN was emotionally checked out.

An example of all this is that JSerra beat OLU 24-14 and OLU beat DLS 35-14.

Is that a bad look for DLS and Nor Cal that OLU beat DLS, and then OLU lost to JSerra?
That’s a fair point. The DLS loss to OLU was a bad look for sure. I don’t think anyone would pick OLU to beat DLS today. DLS has a long history of starting seasons slow and becoming a machine by the playoffs.

There’s no way to spin that CN wasn’t overrated. They had one good game on their schedule. The central section is pretty weak most years. They did literally nothing last night. JV vs Varsity. There’s a handful of teams from NorCal that would smoke them.

That’s a fair point. The DLS loss to OLU was a bad look for sure. I don’t think anyone would pick OLU to beat DLS today. DLS has a long history of starting seasons slow and becoming a machine by the playoffs.

There’s no way to spin that CN wasn’t overrated. They had one good game on their schedule. The central section is pretty weak most years. They did literally nothing last night. JV vs Varsity. There’s a handful of teams from NorCal that would smoke them.
I agree with you. The JSerra win was most likely a fluke. Because CN was not really tested other than the Jserra game allowed them to almost ride that one win into the Open. SOS should be a main decider in comparing unbeaten or 1-2 loss teams.

Reactions: SJS Lord
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT