ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal is showing very well at Torrey Pines

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Sheldon continues its strong season by reaching the National Division of the Torrey Pines Holiday Classic. They beat Westchester (which beat O'Dowd) 77-69 behind a team high 25 points from Darren Tobias. They will play JSerra for the title on Monday.

Mitty plays for the Consolation title in the National Division against Foothills Christian after losing the opener to St. Augustine.

It is an All-NorCal final in the American Division where Bellarmine will face St. Joseph. The Bells won the first meeting 58-45 on December 20.

Sheldon continues its strong season by reaching the National Division of the Torrey Pines Holiday Classic. They beat Westchester (which beat O'Dowd) 77-69 behind a team high 25 points from Darren Tobias. They will play JSerra for the title on Monday.

Mitty plays for the Consolation title in the National Division against Foothills Christian after losing the opener to St. Augustine.

It is an All-NorCal final in the American Division where Bellarmine will face St. Joseph. The Bells won the first meeting 58-45 on December 20.

My prediction about Bellarmine and St. Joes came true!

Extra Credit needs to be given to Sheldon, who is doing this without Bagley!

Reactions: frencheezy
It’s a very good year in NorCal for the top tier teams. One of the better I can recall.

impressive that SJND made finals but I got Bells cruising to a win.

Sheldon. They play better without Bagley. More like a team. With Bagley they stand and watchbthe Bagley show. Bagley is good. BUT in some ways they [sheldon] are easier to play, with him on court. Sheldon has a lot of talent. A lot. Some known players and guys who if they keep playing will blossom at the JC level.

Someone on here, I think Larry Legend, had the nerve to say Bagley was better than DeMarcus Nelson. GTFOH.

As someone who witnessed Nelson up close and personal. Its not Close. Nelson helped to build that Sheldon program..He put Sheldon on the map. AND it wss sustained by his father, Ron Nelson, who over the years trained most of the players in that program and other parts of Sac. Kids that hoop, coming up in Sac want to go to Sheldon. If not for the Nelson's this wouldnt be the case.

Nelson was/is California's all time leader in points. He was a Mcdonald All.American. He led Sheldon to Norcal finals against De La Salle, where they lost to the Spartans.

He was first early Duke Committee as a SOPHOMORE IN high school. Basketball wise, he was a 6 foot 3 power guard. Kinda a tweener. His only weakness is he didn't have a true position. Not a point. Not a sg. Just a guard. He started basically four years at Duke alongside JJ Reddick.

Nelson had one to two years in NBA. Started as a undrafted Free Agent at point for the Warriors then was on the Chicago Bulls. Now he is overseas and a millionaire playing in Europe [Greece and Italy] And has been last 12 years.

If he would've been in high school today he would've averaged 40 points a game. As he was a killer. I saw him give a state champion St. Mary's [with 3 D1 players] 47 and he missed 9 fts. As a sophomore. He was a walking double double and often times triple double in high school.

I know we sometimes live in the moment. But I wanted to set the record straight on that matter.

To be fair Larry did say he considered nelson a Vallejo kid. So maybe all this transfer stuff can be blamed on him

I said Bagley has more upside than Nelson going into college. I still think so. I watched Nelson religiously since he was a frosh at Vallejo. I still equate him with the apaches. He was an incredible Hs player. A scoring machine who overpowered smaller guards. He was 6”2 on a good day but had arms of a 6”8 guy. Incredible scorer but wasn’t a great shooter. Agree he wasn’t a PG or a SG. Tweener.

Bagley can play 2-3 positions, is much more skilled shooter and will continue to develop. Also has the benefit of having his brother.

Sheldon today is not Sheldon when Nelson was there. Heck some of those former players wouldn’t even make today’s team. I don’t disagree they aren’t more of a team without him. That is the stardom syndrome.

Time will tell but Bagley has a bright future as well.

So the argument can be settled that Rollings is a pretty good if he can get this team to play better even without the national recruit.

To be fair Larry did say he considered nelson a Vallejo kid. So maybe all this transfer stuff can be blamed on him

No back when he transferred there wasn’t an issue at all. Kids generally transferred because parents moved for jobs/better quality of life/etc. Different times. Still nowhere near what goes on in SoCal.

A family situation In Vallejo caused the move to Sac for the Nelsons. Coach Gratton and now Rollins benefitted from the Nelson effect. I think After Nelson got to Sheldon, SHELDON went to a high school tourney in North Carolina. He basically got the Huskie hype rolling. Then after 6 years later his little brother and cousin kept it rolling And its bern the premiere program in sac last ten years.

No back when he transferred there wasn’t an issue at all. Kids generally transferred because parents moved for jobs/better quality of life/etc. Different times. Still nowhere near what goes on in SoCal.

What makes Sheldon so tough now is they are loaded with d2/jc and some low d1 players. Some of the best hs teams are the ones with these types who all buy in. Chemistry is so underrated. Bagley is very polished though. Against a SC type you do need a kid like that in my opinion.

Reactions: ayalar09
One factor is the factor Bagley's been injured so often, which has made it difficult for the rest of the players to actually get used to Bagley's game and learn not to "stand around and watch". Hard to develop the chemistry if the ingredients aren't there...

Reactions: ayalar09
I joined the board because of the hate from Larry about the Nelson's. Larry has a real dislike for that family for some reason. I like Bagley but it's hard for me to put him ahead of the former good Sheldon players. He is always hurt or sitting out games. Sheldon won cif without him and do play better as a team when he is out. He is a great talent and has great upside but has to stay healthy. Joey has always been underrated as a coach but he always has his players playing hard and does coach the players. This year team is good but the competition in norcal is not as good in previous years and that's why they look so good.

Elite players today get jerked around more by college and AAU influence. It’s even worse in baseball. High school is almost an afterthought. Bagley isn’t going to Risk the big picture. Do I agree with this? No. But is it reality today. Pretty much.

But if we are talking about pure talent and potential at next level I still like Bagley. You can’t teach 6”8 225. His network is big and already on nba radar.

I loved demarcus for the record. Great player. Loved energy and passion. His brother was a bad teammate and head case. That is a fact. I never appreciated his on court antics and off court he had bigger problems. I was really off base huh? . Never played in college because coaches at that level don’t put up with it. And they didn’t. Hopefully he turned his life around. He had bigger issues than basketball.

From our good friend joe Davidson. Since I’m the reason you joined. Yeah I guess people like this I don’t care much for. I was raised wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article9645629.html

Elite players today get jerked around more by college and AAU influence. It’s even worse in baseball. High school is almost an afterthought. Bagley isn’t going to Risk the big picture. Do I agree with this? No. But is it reality today. Pretty much.

But if we are talking about pure talent and potential at next level I still like Bagley. You can’t teach 6”8 225. His network is big and already on nba radar.

I loved demarcus for the record. Great player. Loved energy and passion. His brother was a bad teammate and head case. That is a fact. I never appreciated his on court antics and off court he had bigger problems. I was really off base huh? . Never played in college because coaches at that level don’t put up with it. And they didn’t. Hopefully he turned his life around. He had bigger issues than basketball.

From our good friend joe Davidson. Since I’m the reason you joined. Yeah I guess people like this I don’t care much for. I was raised wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article9645629.html
any updates on him? lets start a Where are they now conversation. I got a few I wanna see where they at or what they doing

I joined the board because of the hate from Larry about the Nelson's. Larry has a real dislike for that family for some reason. I like Bagley but it's hard for me to put him ahead of the former good Sheldon players. He is always hurt or sitting out games. Sheldon won cif without him and do play better as a team when he is out. He is a great talent and has great upside but has to stay healthy. Joey has always been underrated as a coach but he always has his players playing hard and does coach the players. This year team is good but the competition in norcal is not as good in previous years and that's why they look so good.
often times on here coaches with better talent or never given credit but say someone with certain kind of players are always regarded as great because they get more out of them. It is much harder to coach more talent and expectations than people realize.

Reactions: frencheezy
Sheldon. They play better without Bagley. More like a team. With Bagley they stand and watchbthe Bagley show. Bagley is good. BUT in some ways they [sheldon] are easier to play, with him on court. Sheldon has a lot of talent. A lot. Some known players and guys who if they keep playing will blossom at the JC level.

Someone on here, I think Larry Legend, had the nerve to say Bagley was better than DeMarcus Nelson. GTFOH.

As someone who witnessed Nelson up close and personal. Its not Close. Nelson helped to build that Sheldon program..He put Sheldon on the map. AND it wss sustained by his father, Ron Nelson, who over the years trained most of the players in that program and other parts of Sac. Kids that hoop, coming up in Sac want to go to Sheldon. If not for the Nelson's this wouldnt be the case.

Nelson was/is California's all time leader in points. He was a Mcdonald All.American. He led Sheldon to Norcal finals against De La Salle, where they lost to the Spartans.

He was first early Duke Committee as a SOPHOMORE IN high school. Basketball wise, he was a 6 foot 3 power guard. Kinda a tweener. His only weakness is he didn't have a true position. Not a point. Not a sg. Just a guard. He started basically four years at Duke alongside JJ Reddick.

Nelson had one to two years in NBA. Started as a undrafted Free Agent at point for the Warriors then was on the Chicago Bulls. Now he is overseas and a millionaire playing in Europe [Greece and Italy] And has been last 12 years.

If he would've been in high school today he would've averaged 40 points a game. As he was a killer. I saw him give a state champion St. Mary's [with 3 D1 players] 47 and he missed 9 fts. As a sophomore. He was a walking double double and often times triple double in high school.

I know we sometimes live in the moment. But I wanted to set the record straight on that matter.

Yes, Sheldon is in fact a better team when Bagley doesn't play. I'm 58 and can't recall such bad shots from a High School player.

Cmon Larry you know how much you hate the Nelson's. Lol. Btw I am still waiting to watch a game with you.

One factor is the factor Bagley's been injured so often, which has made it difficult for the rest of the players to actually get used to Bagley's game and learn not to "stand around and watch". Hard to develop the chemistry if the ingredients aren't there...

Kidman, are you talking about Sheldon or the Sac Kings? LOL
Both Bagleys have been injured quite a bit.

Reactions: kiddman32
Cmon Larry you know how much you hate the Nelson's. Lol. Btw I am still waiting to watch a game with you.

Von you are just making stuff up. I have been on this board a long time and don’t have a dog in the fight but LL has never been against the family. He has heaped praise on Demarcus for not only being a great player but also a class act off the court. I don’t recall one mention ever about his dad. And in regards to Darius everything he ever stated was a 100% fact. The kid was a complete piece or crap on and off the court. He had an awful attitude and was a worse teammate. And we don’t even need to get into his legal troubles as an adult.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan

"This year team is good but the competition in norcal is not as good in previous years and that's why they look so good."

Sheldon hasn't played a norcal team yet, all their games have been in NV and socal tournaments.

Last edited:
Von you are just making stuff up. I have been on this board a long time and don’t have a dog in the fight but LL has never been against the family. He has heaped praise on Demarcus for not only being a great player but also a class act off the court. I don’t recall one mention ever about his dad. And in regards to Darius everything he ever stated was a 100% fact. The kid was a complete piece or crap on and off the court. He had an awful attitude and was a worse teammate. And we don’t even need to get into his legal troubles as an adult.

Thank you. I’m from an era where you call out people who don’t do the right things instead of making excuses for them. Those Sheldon teams were so talented but bad teammates made it impossible. It would have been hard to coach that team for anybody. That is no jab at rollings.

Time to talk hoops! I guess I’m in the minority on Bagley. But I do see the chemistry issues with stardom status. Sheldon is so good though they would be the best in NorCal by double digits without him.

I guess I'm delusional about Larry the hater. I know there is people on this board that know what Larry does. Larry does have good insight about basketball but he loves to point out the bad stuff about certain players. Also what other bad teammates Joey has had to deal with? I know for fact that at least 5 of his former players have graduated from college. Post those articles about the good stuff. I'm from the era where we dont hide behind keyboards. Lol

Back to basketball, my point about Bagley is he has to stay healthy if he wants to be great.

his legal troubles.. was he convicted?

"This year team is good but the competition in norcal is not as good in previous years and that's why they look so good."

Sheldon hasn't played a norcal team yet, all their games have been in NV and socal tournaments.
This has to be the dumbest post I may have ever read. Sheldon looks good because Norcal is down and they’ve only played tournaments in Nev and Vegas. So I guess beating some Nor cal teams is better than there wins against Riverdale Baptist MD, Westchester 2x , Corona Centennial at their house and own tourney, Mater Dei, Santa Clarita Christian by 30+ a night after they beat Rancho Christian, Gulliver Prep Florida, Hillcrest, Riverside Poly and gave away game against Bishop Gorman in last minute. Ya on second thought your right . Should have stayed home and played “down” Norcal teams cause then Sheldon wouldn’t “Look so good”

Reactions: damim
This has to be the dumbest post I may have ever read. Sheldon looks good because Norcal is down and they’ve only played tournaments in Nev and Vegas. So I guess beating some Nor cal teams is better than there wins against Riverdale Baptist MD, Westchester 2x , Corona Centennial at their house and own tourney, Mater Dei, Santa Clarita Christian by 30+ a night after they beat Rancho Christian, Gulliver Prep Florida, Hillcrest, Riverside Poly and gave away game against Bishop Gorman in last minute. Ya on second thought your right . Should have stayed home and played “down” Norcal teams cause then Sheldon wouldn’t “Look so good”

I stated prior to season this was clearly Sheldon’s best team on paper. They are right there with any SoCal team as the best team in the state and their results specifically in first two tournaments show that.

Reactions: jordan24
I stated prior to season this was clearly Sheldon’s best team on paper. They are right there with any SoCal team as the best team in the state and their results specifically in first two tournaments show that.

Yes you did. Don’t know anybody who thinks otherwise. I also don’t think NorCal is down. I like what I see. Salesian, Mitty, DLS, Campo, Dublin, Riordan. List does on.

Reactions: jordan24
I realize that this a discussion forum and that there can be differences of opinion, but it seems that a lot of this “discussion” in many threads has turned into pissing matches and namecalling... Take a chill pill, y’all...

kiddman32- I’ve found the football forum to be a lot better in terms of quality of post and less attacks. Folsom gets people riled up still but overall for whatever reason that side of the fence plays better in the sandbox. I watch a ton of HS football so it’s usually a good group of people. Thx for the message and all you do.

Funny... I have found the football forum to be quite a bit worse.

But maybe that’s cuz I don’t go in there all that much. Almost all I do in there is that pick’em thing just for fun.

How could anyone in the Bay Area get fired up about High School football, when De La Salle has owned this area since about 25-30 years ago!

When you post articles about people getting arrested all rules are thrown out. Like I said you do give good insight but that other stuff is not cool. Larry I just want to watch a game with you. Lol.

JSerra uses a 32-15 run in 3rd/4th quarter to take a 48-46 lead on Sheldon. 2:30 remaining in the game.

50-49 J Serra, Davis at the line shooting 1/1 for Sheldon (his first FT/s of the game)
:45 seconds remaining

Makes 1st, misses 2nd. Offensive rebound for Sheldon. TO Sheldon, 26 seconds remaining.

Tobias fouled out for Sheldon, Bagley not playing again

50-50

Sheldon misses...JSerra comes down in scramble mode. Passes to Big man (he’s gotta be maybe 6’10”) who buries about a 8 foot floater with 1.1 remaining.

Sheldon gonna lose unless they pull off miracle here.

Get a decent look from about 5 feet past half court but miss.

JSerra wins.

Sheldon misses...JSerra comes down in scramble mode. Passes to Big man (he’s gotta be maybe 6’10”) who buries about a 8 foot floater with 1.1 remaining.

Sheldon gonna lose unless they pull off miracle here.

Get a decent look from about 5 feet past half court but miss.

JSerra wins.

thanks for the updates. I know some say Sheldon is playing better without Bagley but you gotta think they win that game with him. At least I do. Not sure if anybody in the delta will give them any pressure. Maybe Jesuit or Davis on an off night? Like really off.

Sheldon was outsized, although their backcourt crashed the glass well and gave them a number of second chances. They are fast to the ball on D as well. JS shot the ball well in the 2nd Half, Sheldon didn’t. Sheldon does move the ball really well, and ball handlers did a good job breaking down the D. That said, I haven’t seen anyone who is consistently knocking down jumpers for the Huskies. The lack of shooters showed up in the second half when JS went to a 1-3-1. I can see how having Bagley in there would potentially limit some of their ball movement. But defensively , Bagley changes what the other team can do in the paint.

I have only watched parts of 4-5 of Sheldon’ games, but have a hard time thinking Sheldon is a better overall team w/o Bagley. Maybe a little more fluid, but their ceiling is much higher with Bagley IMHO

Last edited:
I realize that this a discussion forum and that there can be differences of opinion, but it seems that a lot of this “discussion” in many threads has turned into pissing matches and namecalling... Take a chill pill, y’all...

I Second that. We don't need to call kids crap and trash. Be critical but keep it in bounds please.
Here's wishing you great hoops

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT