ADVERTISEMENT

Northern California Open Game Play In

Aug 18, 2017
Any chance that DLS and Folsom would be put together to play for the right to face So Cal in the Open Game? Would sort of be great to see, but would probably be another 5-6 TD DLS win.

Any chance that DLS and Folsom would be put together to play for the right to face So Cal in the Open Game? Would sort of be great to see, but would probably be another 5-6 TD DLS win.
I think SOCAL is the big favorite this year. DLS would stand best chance, but definitely the underdog.

Reactions: coachlittle
SJS petitioned to get rid of the Open Regional game and all other sections signed off on it a few years ago

Reactions: awood1
Did Folsom pressure the SJS for that petition since they were tired of getting killed by DLS in the Open play in game?
Lol this has been well covered. You're about 3 years too late.

Folsom has an amazing program. Nobody petitioned anyone. St Mary's Stockton in theory should have played DLS last year but did not due to the open regional bowl rule. Nobody said a thing. And they are a private.

Last edited:
Did Folsom pressure the SJS for that petition since they were tired of getting killed by DLS in the Open play in game?
I doubt Folsom had anything to do with it but SJS did propose the ending of the Open Regional game

Parents, fans argue football playoff system is unfair

http://www.lincolnnewsmessenger.com/article/parents-fans-argue-football-playoff-system-unfair

Folsom’s second blowout loss in as many years to De La Salle in the Northern California open championship football game have some parents and fans grumbling about the playoff system.

One, in fact, called Sac-Joaquin Section commissioner Pete Saco and left him what he described as the worst voice mail he’s received in 21 years. While Saco provided the big push to start the state football playoffs in 2006, laying the blame at his feet is unfair. Saco, who’s been commissioner of the section for 21 years, recognizes the position of Folsom fans.

“I’ve been doing this long enough where I get all the positions,” Saco said. “I get where Folsom is coming from. I’m about doing what’s right. I want to defend and support the schools in the section.”

Jennifer Cartier, whose son Nick Bolling is a senior offensive lineman on Folsom’s team, wrote a letter to The Folsom Telegraph, and also to other media outlets and the California Interscholastic Federation, the ruling body of all high school sports in the state. She points out the unfairness of public schools facing private schools. De La Salle, as Cartier states, “is a private school which can attract talent from all over the state, and in some instances, the country, to play for their team.”

Another Folsom resident, who wished to remain anonymous, also wrote a letter to the Telegraph saying a lawsuit should be filed against the CIF utilizing state sports title data to prove private and public schools should never play each other in the CIF state playoff structure. The resident, who has no ties to the Folsom football program or the high school, said there should be a title path in which private schools play for a state title and a separate path for public schools to battle for the state title.

“A lawsuit would change the system and bring fairness back to public school kids who have been cheated out of a large amount of state titles by being forced to play private schools, which have more money … and the ability to bring in players from anywhere,” he wrote.
This has all been covered extensively.

But I agree with the position. We are comparing public restrictions to private advantages. Not fair. And people even still complain when a kid transfers to a public school then turn around and say "well you can't beat DLS!"

Can't have it both ways friends.

Folsom isn't even a good team why don't they just go home and let other teams have a shot terrible could never beat mission Viejo

But I agree with the position. We are comparing public restrictions to private advantages. Not fair. And people even still complain when a kid transfers to a public school then turn around and say "well you can't beat DLS!"

Did a grownup just utter the words it’s not fair

SJS petitioned to get rid of the Open Regional game and all other sections signed off on it a few years ago

Not true

Elimination of regional Open games driven by SS/Pac5's desire to not have to risk the spot they automatically get without it. Plus, they wanted a bye week before playing DLS.

LBP losing to Granite Bay in '12 was final straw -- now, SoCalFan can say that that couldn't happen

Why is that unfair. DLS isn't in the practice of accepting transfers, especially in upper classes. Philosophically, they replace attrition with a larger 9th grade class (which is always largest in school) because they believe DLS best serves boys with a 4-year experience

Not true

Elimination of regional Open games driven by SS/Pac5's desire to not have to risk the spot they automatically get without it. Plus, they wanted a bye week before playing DLS.

LBP losing to Granite Bay in '12 was final straw -- now, SoCalFan can say that that couldn't happen
Guess you missed this.From now on stop with So Cal lies

Folsom’s second blowout loss in as many years to De La Salle in the Northern California open championship football game have some parents and fans grumbling about the playoff system.

One, in fact, called Sac-Joaquin Section commissioner Pete Saco and left him what he described as the worst voice mail he’s received in 21 years. While Saco provided the big push to start the state football playoffs in 2006, laying the blame at his feet is unfair. Saco, who’s been commissioner of the section for 21 years, recognizes the position of Folsom fans.

“I’ve been doing this long enough where I get all the positions,” Saco said. “I get where Folsom is coming from. I’m about doing what’s right. I want to defend and support the schools in the section.”

Jennifer Cartier, whose son Nick Bolling is a senior offensive lineman on Folsom’s team, wrote a letter to The Folsom Telegraph, and also to other media outlets and the California Interscholastic Federation, the ruling body of all high school sports in the state. She points out the unfairness of public schools facing private schools. De La Salle, as Cartier states, “is a private school which can attract talent from all over the state, and in some instances, the country, to play for their team.”

Another Folsom resident, who wished to remain anonymous, also wrote a letter to the Telegraph saying a lawsuit should be filed against the CIF utilizing state sports title data to prove private and public schools should never play each other in the CIF state playoff structure. The resident, who has no ties to the Folsom football program or the high school, said there should be a title path in which private schools play for a state title and a separate path for public schools to battle for the state title.

“A lawsuit would change the system and bring fairness back to public school kids who have been cheated out of a large amount of state titles by being forced to play private schools, which have more money … and the ability to bring in players from anywhere,” he wrote.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan

Source? It's been said by La Times sports writer Erik S that the SS wanted the extra week before facing DLS after the 2014 and 2015 losses in the SBG. Or so I hear. Something about the SS having more playoff games and needed the time to study the veer. Or so I hear.

I actually think the format was a good idea.

But in no way do these articles prove anyone lobbied anyone. I would agree though that many people in the SJS section, to include Folsom fans, probably supported change and felt it was fair.

Interviewing people for their opinions does not mean anyone lobbied anyone. I also don't think it's going to change. You may be able to argue it is a good idea for this year alone but public schools like Folsom, Del Oro, Freedom, etc, have the major ups and downs that privates don't. I think the field is a little more level now. Is it perfect? No.

I don't think comparing this to the SoCal system is even remotely a good argument. They have a much different make up of publics and privates than we do here. I don't think we should look south for the best example of high school football parity. We don't have many of the issues they have on a large scale such as players playing for 3-4 different schools in a HS career. That is pretty exclusive to SoCal.

I don't see anything in here that supports your assertion

I'm sure I can find articles about SoCal football parents it's unfair that DLS doesn't have to face the same playoff rigor as Pac5 teams (at the time) -- certainly every SoCal poster I know has mentioned it repeatedly

If that's your smoking gun, then there is no smoking gun and my narrative, IMHO, is more plausible than yours, especially considering Folsom reached out to DLS for a game in '14 -- DLS declined with a smile, saying "we'll see you guys in December." The regional games weren't cancelled until late August that year. How does this fit in with the SoCal fake narrative?

Reactions: aztecpadre
I actually think the format was a good idea.

But in no way do these articles prove anyone lobbied anyone. I would agree though that many people in the SJS section, to include Folsom fans, probably supported change and felt it was fair.

Interviewing people for their opinions does not mean anyone lobbied anyone. I also don't think it's going to change. You may be able to argue it is a good idea for this year alone but public schools like Folsom, Del Oro, Freedom, etc, have the major ups and downs that privates don't. I think the field is a little more level now. Is it perfect? No.

I don't think comparing this to the SoCal system is even remotely a good argument. They have a much different make up of publics and privates than we do here. I don't think we should look south for the best example of high school football parity. We don't have many of the issues they have on a large scale such as players playing for 3-4 different schools in a HS career. That is pretty exclusive to SoCal.

The Southern Sections lack of enforcement to its own transfer rules:

a) Enables some historical Super Teams -- i.e. SJB '13 was the first, MD '17 may be best team ever
b) Is a competitive advantage that will (and already has) tilted the SBG results back in favor of SoCal

Reactions: ChrisRScoreMan
I don't see anything in here that supports your assertion

I'm sure I can find articles about SoCal football parents it's unfair that DLS doesn't have to face the same playoff rigor as Pac5 teams (at the time) -- certainly every SoCal poster I know has mentioned it repeatedly

If that's your smoking gun, then there is no smoking gun and my narrative, IMHO, is more plausible than yours, especially considering Folsom reached out to DLS for a game in '14 -- DLS declined with a smile, saying "we'll see you guys in December." The regional games weren't cancelled until late August that year. How does this fit in with the SoCal fake narrative?

He's only saying it's evidence because it is Folsom. Any of school and he wouldn't be posting anything. I have gotten used to it.

I’m saying it because it’s true.Its right in front of your face but you refuse to see it

Which is exactly what Saco did when he brought up ending the open Regional game.

I feel like I have to have John Lennon's "imagine" playing in the background to make this effective....but I digress.

IMAGINE, if you will, we aren't talking about any team you know. No publics and privates, no recruiting and transfers. Just 2 halves of a state pitted against each other for the purposes of determining the best half of a state.

Please explain the scenario / strategy / thought that says that in assembling the representatives for each half of the state (regardless of the method for determining those representatives) when it makes sense to say, "Welp, we figured it out and as a result, we have decided to send our best team to represent our 1/2 of the state at the highest level and our 3rd best team to represent us at the next level!" HUH? Whaaat?

Would it make sense for the National League to send their #1 and #3 seeds to the playoffs?
Should Jamaica send Usain Bolt and their 3rd place guy to the Olympics?
Would Phil Jackson say 'I'm gonna start Jordan and Kukoc' in the playoffs because Michael is better than Scottie."?

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Reactions: ChrisRScoreMan
The rule is here. Likely isn't going away, so lets move on from the whys of it all
Respectfully:
But the rule should be removed.
EBAL: California, Foothill, San Ramon, Monte Vista, Amador Valley, and Livermore might not like playing DLS, but these teams step up and give their best and play the game. And as far as I know you don't see stories pop up in the Contra Costa Times newspaper where parents are complaining about it.

I do know this Pittsburg, Clayton Valley Charter, Monte Vista, San Ramon or for that matter any Bay Area high school football team would take great pleasure in being the first team in Northern California in 25 years to beat DLS and not instead hide from that opportunity.

Pittsburg, Clayton Valley Charter, Monte Vista, San Ramon or for that matter any Bay Area high school football team would take great pleasure in being the first team in Northern California in 25 years to beat DLS and not instead hide from that opportunity.
Respectfully.

Folsom is not in the Bay Area. Different section.

Last year St. Mary's was in the same position as Folsom is this year. I didn't hear a peep about any "open rule" or any of the sort. Nothing changed this year.

The rule is not going away. As Streak said, to continue to talk about it is just trolling. It has been covered in length. NorCal is not going to send their #2 teams home while sending the #1 and #3 team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT