ADVERTISEMENT

Presentation Shootout

BBallEvents

Superstar
Apr 17, 2012
Nice line up of teams at the Presentation Shootout this Saturday. Coach Wade always does a good job with this event every year.

10:30am PST Valley Christian vs Leland

12pm PST Wilcox vs Edison

1:30pm PST St. Francis vs Woodside Priory

3pm PST Archbishop Mitty vs Aptos

4:30pm PST Sacred Heart Cathedral vs Heritage

6pm PST St. Ignatius vs Salesian

7:30pm PST Presentation vs Branham

Games will be streamed if anyone is interested
https://www.passthaball.com/page/show/4589282-presentation

Last edited:
The WCAL challenge.. good way for everyone to get a look at everyone else. Does any WCAL team besides SI (and maybe shc?) have a chance of losing??

Also, the link doesn't work for me...

will the games be available to watch after the fact? or only live streaming?

Mitty 89 - Aptos 31 and Prez 80 - Branham 23---that's seems like a lot of fun for all the players. CCS Public Schools need to realize that when you play the Privates you are playing Winter AAU Teams. You are not playing by the same rules. Going to their shootouts is going to a beating for your tesm. Get smart coaches and schedule teams that play by the same rules that you do.

Scheduling is the most undervalued aspect of high school coaching. Too many still buy into the "To be the best you have to beat the best" and so play elite teams. Sure, that statement is true, but only applies after you've built your program up to a very high level.

Whats wrong with playing a team better than you to give your team a true test before heading into a weaker league schedule? Leland only lost to Valley by about 10. Sure you might get killed, thats part of life. Learn from it, use it as something to strive for, and move on. You guys are softer than the kids...

Scheduling is the most undervalued aspect of high school coaching. Too many still buy into the "To be the best you have to beat the best" and so play elite teams. Sure, that statement is true, but only applies after you've built your program up to a very high level.

...and Aptos is regarded as the best CCS public school outfit this season...

I agree that scheduling is crucial to the success of a program, but there are teams that have inflated records with first round exits in playoffs. Why? Because a cupcake schedule. If your league is horrible (there are a lot out there), you have to get tested in the preseason. I agree that any public school besides MM or Heritage (there are more-calm down) would be crazy to schedule them (neither team gets anything out of it), but you have to get tested somehow. I'm sure Aptos is trying to be as successful as they can.

Is Aptos the best public school in CCS this year?

Reactions: OnBall8
I agree that scheduling is crucial to the success of a program, but there are teams that have inflated records with first round exits in playoffs. Why? Because a cupcake schedule. If your league is horrible (there are a lot out there), you have to get tested in the preseason. I agree that any public school besides MM or Heritage (there are more-calm down) would be crazy to schedule them (neither team gets anything out of it), but you have to get tested somehow. I'm sure Aptos is trying to be as successful as they can.

Apparently. The pickings are very slim in the CCS public sector this season. Very slim.

Exactly! And I would take a team trying to get out of their comfort zone in the preseason over a team who doesn't. Look at St Francis right now. Sure they are 8-0 but who have they played?? If they played today, I would take a 2-3 SHC team who has played some good teams over 8-0 SF who hasnt tested themselves. They might lose by a lot to PW on Sat

Exactly! And I would take a team trying to get out of their comfort zone in the preseason over a team who doesn't. Look at St Francis right now. Sure they are 8-0 but who have they played?? If they played today, I would take a 2-3 SHC team who has played some good teams over 8-0 SF who hasnt tested themselves. They might lose by a lot to PW on Sat
SF league is incredibly loaded. They play Pinewood too. In league: Mitty twice, Presentation, SI, VC. I think they were smart to schedule that way. They will be tested plenty of times soon. I see what you are saying but all of their tough games will come in league they don't need a ton of pre season challenges.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
So this is what I mean: If I'm building or rebuilding a program, the "to beat the best ..." mantra is generally misplaced. I find it highly unlikely that losing to Mitty by 68 points helped Aptos in any way, shape or form.

Now if Aptos is good enough to play Mitty within 20, then fine, that makes sense. If your team can do that, you're going to win enough games to still have a belief in the system, and losing to Mitty is a teaching moment.

But if I'm at a medium school, and I want to build something, playing Mitty does zero good. I have to get players and parents to buy in, and losing by 50 doesn't do that, nor does it do anything in terms of development except point out to everyone that you're nowhere near the best teams.

So instead of scheduling Mitty, schedule St. Francis, say, or Presentation. You still lose, most likely, but you're not overmatched, and your players and parents can see that with improvement, beating those teams is within reach.

Now if I have a team that I feel has a good chance to win a game or two in NorCals, then I need to play teams at the level of the best in my division in my section in order to prepare. But if I have a nice D4 team that I'm hoping will win two games in section and slide into NorCals, I'm scheduling differently.

But again, there's no way losing a game by 68 points helps my team or my program.

Clay, do you really think Aptos went into the game thinking they were 50 pt underdogs?? I'm sure they did think they could keep it in the 20 range.

Another question for you, when signing up for these shootouts and ones like last week at cabrillo.. are you signing up knowing your opponent and therefore can decline playing someone like mitty? Or are you telling (for this example) Presentation you want to play in the shootout and they schedule it as they seem fit?

I have no idea what Aptos was thinking, and that's not an insult because I don't know the coach (who I think is new). Maybe they misjudged their talent, or Mitty's talent, or maybe they had some injuries or illnesses ... no clue.

As for shootouts, generally you have some say -- and the tournament director doesn't want any routs either (though the running clock does keep you on schedule). The more elite the team, the more input, but since there's generally a modest fee involved, it's unlikely a team just gets stuck with a bad matchup. That said, the tournament director might be in a bind for whatever reason and say "Hey, will you take a bullet this year? I'll take care of you next year."

Reactions: OnBall8
Thanks clay, I had a feeling that neither Christian Brothers nor Aptos really "wanted" to play AM so bad that they requested it through the directors.

Clay, do you really think Aptos went into the game thinking they were 50 pt underdogs?? I'm sure they did think they could keep it in the 20 range.

Another question for you, when signing up for these shootouts and ones like last week at cabrillo.. are you signing up knowing your opponent and therefore can decline playing someone like mitty? Or are you telling (for this example) Presentation you want to play in the shootout and they schedule it as they seem fit?
I think every public school playing Mitty should consider themselves minimum 40 point dogs. They beat WCAL schools by 20-30 on average. Let's be real.

SF league is incredibly loaded. They play Pinewood too. In league: Mitty twice, Presentation, SI, VC. I think they were smart to schedule that way. They will be tested plenty of times soon. I see what you are saying but all of their tough games will come in league they don't need a ton of pre season challenges.
Exactly! What other big names does SFHS need to play? They will play Pinewood, Mitty x2, SHC x2, SI x2, VC x2, and Pres x2. Didn't someone tell me on a different post that I was wrong by saying every private vs. public school score is always lopsided? And now that SFHS smacked Aragon, Seaside, and will probably beat Leland by 20 that's not good enough. You guys crack me up!

Like I said before these are Winter AAU Teams playing against neighborhood teams. No reason to schedule them if you are a public school team. Any school in CCS D1, which is all public, has no reason to schedule the Winter AAU Teams.
Schedule games against teams that play under the same rules that you do. There are plenty of good public school teams that you can play. Losing by 60 does your kids no good. That is not a challenge, it is a beating that does you no good

Interesting how one of the Augmon sisters who was at Silver Creek is now at Woodside Priory. I wonder how that happened? Quite a ride from San Jose to Portola Valley. Just a simple transfer I guess????????

Reactions: colhenrylives
Interesting how one of the Augmon sisters who was at Silver Creek is now at Woodside Priory. I wonder how that happened? Quite a ride from San Jose to Portola Valley. Just a simple transfer I guess????????

If you think it's bad in CCS, check out the rampant transfers in the Southern Section.

Exactly! What other big names does SFHS need to play? They will play Pinewood, Mitty x2, SHC x2, SI x2, VC x2, and Pres x2. Didn't someone tell me on a different post that I was wrong by saying every private vs. public school score is always lopsided? And now that SFHS smacked Aragon, Seaside, and will probably beat Leland by 20 that's not good enough. You guys crack me up!

They should beat up the Neighborhood Schools. The Neighborhood Schhols need to stop scheduling them. They beat you up and steal your kids. Bottom line is most of these Privates have turned into Winter AAU Teams. They play under different rules than the Public Schools. My advice is to stop scheduling them, let them play against other Winter AAU Teams.

yup take your ball and go home.. just the lesson we should be teaching our kids. And we wonder why kids these days are so entitled..

Nice reply, kind of like the kid from Silver Creek going to Woodside Priory. Don't tell me about taking your ball and going home. That is a weak reply. Sounds to me that you like the Privates beating up the publics. Well guess what I don't.

Anyone remember the Mitty v McClatchy score last year? Very similar score. Maybe Mitty is really good vs no public can play with private. Aptos has already beat a few private’s this year. Aptos was clearly out matched and knew that going in but I think every girl relished the chance to play defending national champions and best player in country (who also happens to be from Santa Cruz county). Did they bite off more than they can chew...obviously but can’t take down Goliath unless you play them.

Congrats to them for doing it with a bunch of girls within a 10 mile radius. See lots of private schools who recruit etc. that won’t play the schedule that Aptos has this year. Woodside Priory, SI, Mitty, Presentation, St Francis (who they played good last year) and Oakland High.

Bottom line: High school basketball should be a good experience for the players, which does not necessarily include wins and losses or margin of victory/loss as part of the definition.

Sometimes it's fun to play a great team, and a player like Haley Jones, just to be able to say you did it. Sometimes it's good to get humbled a bit; sometimes it's good to feel like a champion.

Every school's "good experience" is going to be different, and given injuries and other random factors, no one can predict how seasons will play out -- so coaches have to just do the best they can with the information they have when they set up their schedule.

Anyone remember the Mitty v McClatchy score last year? Very similar score. Maybe Mitty is really good vs no public can play with private. Aptos has already beat a few private’s this year. Aptos was clearly out matched and knew that going in but I think every girl relished the chance to play defending national champions and best player in country (who also happens to be from Santa Cruz county). Did they bite off more than they can chew...obviously but can’t take down Goliath unless you play them.

Congrats to them for doing it with a bunch of girls within a 10 mile radius. See lots of private schools who recruit etc. that won’t play the schedule that Aptos has this year. Woodside Priory, SI, Mitty, Presentation, St Francis (who they played good last year) and Oakland High.
And THATS the attitude I would ask my team to have.. dont take your ball and go home, jump in there with the big kids and do your best. I can only imagine that Aptos will be even stronger next year, they lose their captains in Pardue and Hocom, but Giuffre and Ackerman will be seniors and are already 2 of the 3 leading scorers. I hope they don't shy away from anyone again next year. Maybe pass on AM but schedule all the other privates you can! Lets go Mariners

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT