ADVERTISEMENT

Presentation?

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
What has happened here?

Five years ago, Pres was competitive with almost everyone in the WCAL. They've now lost 27 straight league games, many by 50+. And they play the #1 team in the country tomorrow.

Is there hope? A different league?

Heh. Except that wouldn't solve the problem. SI beat Pres by 62 last week. Riordan won by 64. Valley by 45. And on and on. The longer this run of ineptitude continues, the harder it will be for Pres to ever regain a semblance of competitiveness.

They aren't any good at basketball that's what's happened. Uncomfortable truth but the truth nonetheless. Should've struck while the iron was hot but they missed their moment.

With less and less students to draw from, a tiny, all girls school is probably a tough sell to most teenagers. Although they would NEVER share their application numbers, I would be curious to see how many kids are applying to local private schools. I am guessing their acceptance rates are much higher than in late 90's to late 10's era when the school age population was booming around here. Riordan and Palma going co-ed are two metrics of how few kids there are out there (similar to the late 70's to mid 90's time frame).

That scandal at Pres several years hasn't helped. It got enormous pub at the time. All negative.

Presentation is in the wrong league. They wanted to leave, but for whatever reason, my understanding is they were forced to stay.

Nothing better than people sitting behind desks making decisions that humiliate the very children they're supposed to support.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
The old GPSL was pretty much the same with SHP dominating and Menlo was a formidable #2 team. SH and SI were always in the middle and the bottom feeders were ND Belmont, Mercy B, and Mercy SF. Maybe ICA was part of that too?

Presentation should be allowed to leave and join whatever lower private school league that ND Belmont, Mercy B are in.

With less and less students to draw from, a tiny, all girls school is probably a tough sell to most teenagers. Although they would NEVER share their application numbers, I would be curious to see how many kids are applying to local private schools. I am guessing their acceptance rates are much higher than in late 90's to late 10's era when the school age population was booming around here. Riordan and Palma going co-ed are two metrics of how few kids there are out there (similar to the late 70's to mid 90's time frame).
I went to Sacred Heart and although I believe an all girls school in the smaller end is a tough sell, most privates are thriving. When I went in 1987 300-350 applications with an acceptance of 225 was the norm. Today they get 1500 applications minimum.

As for Riordan, smart move. Including going the dorm route. For private schools who want to take a shot at being nationally ranked and becoming a national power dorms bring in huge revenue. Normal tuition is $24,500, boarding is $60,000. Great way to bring in international players and also raise more money for covering more kids athletic wise.

Wrong league? They are a Catholic school, in the West Catholic Athletic League- sounds about right to me.

I think that misses the point. Losing 86-7 has little connection with going to Mass on Sunday.

Final Score:

Mitty 86
Presentation 7

It wasn't as close as that indicates.
wow.. i wonder what the feeling is when you are the coach and have to go congratulate the losing team... for showing up.
i wonder what the parents of presentation were yelling all game.

I game like this what is stopping Cheli or Woliczko from trying to break Cheryl Miller's single game record? Why not?

Why would you want to break a national record by humiliating an opponent? What would be the point?

I think it's important to realize that the players on both teams are basketball players (their level of skill is not an issue) who work hard, practice or play five or six days a week, and deserve respect for their efforts. And in fact, it's much, much harder to put in the time and energy for a bad team than for a good one, so if anyone should be getting recognition, it should be the coaches and players at Presenation.

Reactions: Ladyjags
both these schools are in san jose... how does one have so much talent and the other is this bad??? its over a million people in san jose!!

maybe time for Mitty to join Luhi, IMG, Montverde… just like the boys programs have figured out… nobody cares about these types of games

maybe time for Mitty to join Luhi, IMG, Montverde… just like the boys programs have figured out… nobody cares about these types of games
I have always known Mitty to be a power. But never followed girls basketball to the point of where do the girls come from. In fairness if they are not getting girls from all over the country. Then why would they become like the above. Now what they can do as De La Salle football did is people didn’t want to play them every year so for a while that happened. But as long as Sue is there, I don’t think nothing can change

Long Island Lutheran is very likely to come back to the pack next year. This is a one-off group for them, much as this year's team is a one-off group for Mitty. Both schools will always be strong, but both are at their peaks this year.

IMG and Montverde are in a different category entirely. In fact, if they don't figure out how to play for a Florida state championship at some level, they may not be able to play California schools next year.

I don’t know how those schools played
California schools this year… IMGs sports performance budget and facilities must be in the tens of millions of dollars a year… how is this fair they should have their own league just like the boys

Last edited:
The irony is that none of Mitty's top players are actually from San Jose, so....
So again where are they from? I don’t know. Are they out of state. I mean no offense but when SH was number 1 in the nation they had girls from Fillmore, I think at least two came from Oakland, and one McDonald’s All American was from Hunters Point. Those girls came from good old Oscar at Mission Rec. I think one came from Marin.

Mitty's outstanding soph McKenna W. is from a San Bruno public middle school. She commutes to San Jose (40 miles each way) much of the time. She chose not attend the local public school, Capuchino, or any of the reasonably close private/parochial schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT