ADVERTISEMENT

Rocklin vs Folsom for SFL Title

smashmouthrick

Hall of Famer
Sep 7, 2006
Newcastle Ca.
This could be the SFL title match or battle for a share of the title with playoff seeding implications.

Folsom is on a 40+ streak not losing to an SFL team, “the SFL streak” if you will.

I think we all know Folsom lost some bigs to graduation and seem to be a bit down from last year. Rocklin on the other hand is much improved over last year and seem to have that “2009” game face. Beating OR Friday puts them in the upper tier of the SFL, at least for now. They will be coming to Folsom with a lot of confidence and resolve to try to knock the Dawgs off their throne.

We know that good teams always find a way to win I.e. like Folsom did vs a very good OR team. Is Rocklin “good” enough to tame the Dawgs? We are going to find out soon.

Have not seen Rocklin play but I have seen Folsom play(vs the Green Machine) ant Folsom is pretty solid all around. One of the keys to beating Folsom is pressuring QB quickly and man coverage. Folsom will shred you if you play zone. If you look at film of the teams that have beaten Folsom these are the themes I see, QB pressure and Lester Hays(stick’em) like man coverage. Rocklin has the beef in the trenches but I don’t know if they have the DL/LB speed needed to affect Folsom pass game. Also I don’t know if Rocklin has the skill to man Badger, Ngata and Hutton. Maybe @ThunderRam can provide insight here.

Great to see someone else in SFL knocking on Folsom door. Going to be a great game!

Reactions: Santa Ball
It’s going to be an uphill battle for Rocklin, for sure. And while I’d love to see Rocklin pull the upset, the fact that the Thunder beat Oak Ridge who in turn played Folsom closely and easily could have beat them doesn’t mean a thing.

It’s about how these two teams matchup. Nothing more.

This past week was the first time I saw Rocklin in person this season and I saw Folsom live a couple weeks prior. I’ve seen both on film a few times.

But I don’t feel I’ve got as good a grasp on Rocklin as likely @WWHS44 does. So I’ll be curious to hear his take on the upcoming game.

My initial thoughts are, if Daniyel Ngata is healthy, Folsom clearly has to be the favorite. Probably by 10+. If he’s still a bit banged up, then Rocklin has a much better shot at it just like Oak Ridge did.

For the Thunder to compete and have a shot, they’re gonna have to win the LOS as they did this last Fri.

Defensively, they did a good job of pressuring Justin Lamson and keeping him uncomfortable. They’ll have to do that again this week.

Offensively, they’ve got good depth at the skill positions and can run those guys in and out all night to try to play a TOP type of game. Shorten the game.

Rocklin also has a pretty good kicker. He was accurate last week and the 45 yarder he made looked like it had the distance from 55. So if it comes down to a kick like the Folsom-OR game did, I like Rocklin’s chances better.

I think Folsom is just too loaded with Talent at the skill positions for Rocklin to match up against defensively. They have a really good QB, Ngata, Hutton and Badger and good coaching.Folsom is playing a home game and coming off the dismantling of MA, where the score could have been 90, save restraint.

It's hard to see how to stop any of the triplets. If you play zone Folsom will bleed you down the field and you play Man you might be out of the game by the second quarter.

I think playing for TOP is one way to go, but thunder running game has been good but inconsistent against inferior competition. If there is any advantage that Rocklin can exploit it might have to be in the air. That would be Watts QB, Barnes WR1, Becker WR2 to make splash plays against Folsom's secondary. If they can do that and win the lines of scrimmage on Defense, Rocklin may have a shot.

Unless they take an aggressive offensive game plan that is willing to gamble I don't think the Thunder can outscore Folsom. Just my opinion but the larger picture for Rocklin is D2 playoffs and good seeding. So just play to win,hair on fire, no conservative scheme and hey if you lose to a great team and go 5-2 do it with style. I'm hoping that this is a competitive game and both teams leave injury free. Should be a fun game to watch.

I think Folsom is just too loaded with Talent at the skill positions for Rocklin to match up against defensively.

Likely so. But even if they weren't, it sounds like we shouldn't bother paying any attention anyway because according to @THEOC89 , Rocklin is "weak", Oak Ridge is "an Awful SFL Team", Del Oro "Used to be good” and Whitney is "a sorry ass team". Least that's what is being spun on Prep's National board.

There's no bias in any of that analysis, for sure. :rolleyes:

Likely so. But even if they weren't, it sounds like we shouldn't bother paying any attention anyway because according to @THEOC89 , Rocklin is "weak", Oak Ridge is "an Awful SFL Team", Del Oro "Used to be good” and Whitney is "a sorry ass team". Least that's what is being spun on Prep's National board.

There's no bias in any of that analysis, for sure. :rolleyes:

You are Correct... I posted those things on the National Board in Response to a “Block” Thread....

What possible “National Relevance” does Folsom blow out wins over Rocklin, Whitney, And Del Oro have?.... Are you saying that any of those teams will be currently competitive on a National or State Level?....

Does anyone really think The Rest of The SFL has “Closed the Gap” on Folsom and Their 15 Football Transfers?...

That was all a “National Discussion” on a “Block Thread” about justifying State Level Rankings @ThunderRam, not a Nor Cal Rankings Discussion on this board...

Why you needed to bring it over-here who knows... I have not made one negative post about any of those teams on THIS board...

Except of course calling Folsom a “Paper Tiger”.... I have done that many times... ;)

Does anyone really think The Rest of The SFL has “Closed the Gap” on Folsom and Their 15 Football Transfers?...

Don’t think TR or anyone else is implying that. The theme of this particular thread is about the matchup between Rocklin vs Folsom where TR and Santa Ball appropriately replied.

Your question however got me thinking about how competitive the rest of the SFL has been vs Folsom so I did a little digging to satisfy my own curiosity. Looking at SFL league game results over the past 5years it is clear that no one has closed the gap meaning there is no consistent year over year improvement by any other SFL team.

Cumulative scores of Folsom vs SFL teams the past 5seasons with first number being Folsom:
2018 329-27
2017 274-69
2016 244-65
2015 225-66
2014 337-27

Oak Ridge has been Folsom’s best competition of all the SFL teams:
2019 Folsom 36, OR 33
2017 Folsom 42, OR 28
2016 Folsom 17, OR 16
2015 Folsom 35, OR 21
OR has matched up to Folsom better in the above 4 seasons than the rest of the SFL but has not closed the gap.

Interestingly enough the next most competitive SFL team has been Rocklin. While not matching up as well as OR has over past 5 seasons they have had a few games where they put some points on the board:
2015: Folsom 28, Rocklin 14
2014: Folsom 56, Rocklin 21
While by no measure these games make a case Rocklin is closing the gap they do show that Rocklin has had a roster that can “play” with Folsom thus back to my original question, how does Rocklin matchup to Folsom this year?

Reactions: THEOC89
You are Correct... I posted those things on the National Board in Response to a “Block” Thread....

What possible “National Relevance” does Folsom blow out wins over Rocklin, Whitney, And Del Oro have?.... Are you saying that any of those teams will be currently competitive on a National or State Level?....

That was all a “National Discussion” on a “Block Thread” about justifying State Level Rankings @ThunderRam, not a Nor Cal Rankings Discussion on this board...

Why you needed to bring it over-here who knows... I have not made one negative post about any of those teams on THIS board...

Except of course calling Folsom a “Paper Tiger”.... I have done that many times... ;)
TR probably just pushed the ignore button on you. He does not appreciate posters with their own opinions.

The numbers are pretty eye opening @smashmouthrick
Nice breakdown!

I personally see this game as a title fight in name only. Based on matchups alone Folsom should win this game. Oak Ridge had two weeks to prepare and mend for their face off at home with the bulldogs. Oak Ridge to their credit has played Folsom competitively in the last five seasons. Oh BTW, this is the Bulldogs homecoming on that Blue Turf.

Rocklin is a team coming off a big emotional win after Oak Ridge who in turn came off a huge emotional game with Folsom. Not to take anything away from the Thunder but they are a 2-8 team from last year off to a 5-1 start looking to make the playoffs after being left out last year. I have no doubt that Coach Adams, that staff and those young men have prepared their tails off for this game but the reality is Rocklin is a lunch pail team without a single D1 player. This game is likely a humbling/instructive stepping stone for the Thunder along a different path to what success looks like for them.

As per Rocklin stats they have a balanced offense with 800+ yards both passing and rushing. Looks like two RB’s carry the load. Any 411 on how OL + Run game will match up to Folsom’s D? Is Rocklin still running the Pistol?

The numbers are pretty eye opening @smashmouthrick
Nice breakdown!

I personally see this game as a title fight in name only. Based on matchups alone Folsom should win this game. Oak Ridge had two weeks to prepare and mend for their face off at home with the bulldogs. Oak Ridge to their credit has played Folsom competitively in the last five seasons. Oh BTW, this is the Bulldogs homecoming on that Blue Turf.

Rocklin is a team coming off a big emotional win after Oak Ridge who in turn came off a huge emotional game with Folsom. Not to take anything away from the Thunder but they are a 2-8 team from last year off to a 5-1 start looking to make the playoffs after being left out last year. I have no doubt that Coach Adams, that staff and those young men have prepared their tails off for this game but the reality is Rocklin is a lunch pail team without a single D1 player. This game is likely a humbling/instructive stepping stone for the Thunder along a different path to what success looks like for them.

Isn’t Bobby Piland likely to become a D1 player?

Isn’t Bobby Piland likely to become a D1 player?

I believe he will be, he’s a sophomore now that plays both offensive line and defensive line. If he stays healthy he should get serious consideration. He will be far more impressive next year and beyond with added strength but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play center or zero tech at the next level.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
As per Rocklin stats they have a balanced offense with 800+ yards both passing and rushing. Looks like two RB’s carry the load. Any 411 on how OL + Run game will match up to Folsom’s D? Is Rocklin still running the Pistol?

Yes, your typical spread offense with a few nice wrinkles, some clever routes and zone block power runs although I did notice tight formations with a wing back. They run about three backs but Douglas is the lead dog. I’m not sure how healthy that tailback group is at the moment but it appeared they had some guys banged up following last weeks game.

They have a solid offensive line imo, but they are much more improved on the defensive side of the ball. I would have to say the strength of the offense is the consistency of the qb play combined with a few outstanding receivers. They may surprise Folsom with the run, but think it will be an uphill battle for sure. Sitting as a fan I can’t see a lot to exploit against Folsom but their stud DE lynch can abandon gap integrity often in pursuit of a sack. As weird as it may sound, I test off tackle early on Folsom. I’m sure coaching staffs on both teams are pulling what they can from Hudl with a much better trained eye. I’m looking forward to this game because well it’s Folsom and they own the SFL.

Reactions: smashmouthrick
Good stuff @Santa Ball and also @ThunderRam . Hoping I’m in town to watch it.

Agree with you all that while Rocklin is up this year they will struggle against the mighty Dawgs. Hoping for a contested game from Rocklin and no blow out. Who knows this is high school ball after all...

Last edited:
Reactions: FootballJunkie101
I won't even bother trying to predict a score. I'll just say that I'll be pleasantly surprised if the game is just close in the 4th, let alone Rocklin winning it. I believe both things are possible, but I'm not at all expecting it.

For those that follow scores I came across a site that I may check out vs. scorestream, Max or twitter hunting. I think I read somewhere that https://scorebooklive.com/football/games is now partnered with CIF, for scores and stats. Hopefully another tool in the tool belt...

Thanks for the additional resource. I think I’ve seen it before.

You make mention of ‘hunting’ on Maxpreps. Some people aren’t aware but they do have live scoring by section or state where most scores are kept and up to date.

All you need to do is change the date filter to look ahead or behind.

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/contests...ectionid=d663c9bc-2efc-42a4-b1f5-f51200644ccc

I had Oakridge winning a close one and fell short. But I think Thunder will shock the world tonight! ——————- or I’m not even close lol. Im taking The underdog, I like to live dangerously.

JV game just wrapped up Folsom wins 21-14. Rocklin fumbles on Folsoms 3 yd line in the last minute of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT