ADVERTISEMENT

Sac Bee Top 20

Actually the Boise State kid played at Murrieta Valley High School.Its a winnable game for Capital Christian but they need to play mistake free

Sorry you're right/ I got it confused. The receiver with the great catch in the end zone against FSU is from VM. Looks like his little brother is currently playing for VM as well.

Coach Gimenez was 67-38 in his nine seasons at WHS. He made the play offs in 7 of 9 seasons and won 1 section title and runner up in another...pretty good run for a start up school.

I've not heard good things about Dougherty. The antics that Folsom displayed in pre-game support the lack of discipline I've heard from many sources. Wait until they pull that BS with DLS... Going to get the ball pounded down their throats. I'm betting we see on and off the field issues with Folsom this year. Already saw a few of their "stars" complaining and verbally going after the coach when they decided to kick FG's against Jesuit. Not something that any coach should stand for. Gotta give the former staff at Folsom props because they had those kids in check. You may not have liked the run up in scores and I didn't either but on the field for the most part they kids behaved.

Jimenez ran a great program and Whitney was a class act under him. Period. Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: THEOC89
Ya Jimenez was their from the start when the school opened. I think he was at Woodland before. But Whitney was a nice small school power under him and he laid the foundation. Must have been hard for him watching what he built take a 180 the three years Doherty was there. I have always heard great things about Jimenez. I do not know much about Coach McNally, but i do know he is a De La Salle grad and that has some merit. Being a part of a winning program and being coached by greats gives you a very good foundation of how to run a program. I do know their OC was a coach at oak Ridge for a while and is also a De La Salle grad. Hopefully they continue their success their this season! Very cool story brewing up there in Rocklin.

Part of my point is how you spell his name! Small school or not, his teams defeated many local powers Placer, Lincoln, Valley, Concord, Rocklin, Sacramento and Woodland when they were still D2. The SFL is a different breed....time will tell if WHS is ready to make the next step. Paraclete is a small school and Placer graduated a very stout class....time will tell soon enough.

Reactions: championcif75
Grant will be fine last year I said when they play in the sfl will see grant still has a lot of size and talent, but their offensive schemes don’t work and very predictable of what’s coming. When you see a box score then see them in person you could clearly see that they could be a top team in the sfl. Teams stop our fade routes it seems like we throw those the most anything really in between. This years team is inexperienced but still have a lot of talent still has 2 d1 linemen. It’s enough to be 2nd best team in sfl if the coaching was different. We don’t wanna trick you at all we will run the bell even if you show all out blitz

Reactions: RidgeRider
I normally don't disagree with you on this board but for you to say this is a winnable game for CC is a little too much. By your standards maybe it is winnable but most people with SOLID football knowledge would tell you this isn't a winnable game for CC. If CC beats VM, this game was only winnable because Casey is the better coach. Period! This game wasn't even a game most would say is winnable before the major injury to a key CC player in last weeks game. I believe coach Casey will make this game competitive for the most part but would be totally shocked if he wins it. As TR said, VM is historically a very good SS team and knowing that they are going to be better than the prior year tells me that they are going to give CC fits in all aspects of the game. They're going to challenge CC in ways they've never been challenged this year and without a key player makes things worst not better for CC. That said, I have major respect for Casey win, lose or draw for scheduling like a man or better yet a coach willing to challenge his program.

That’s fine everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’ve already said I like VM in the game.I didn’t realize they had a major injury which will make it harder but I still think they have a punchers chance

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
You may not have liked the run up in scores and I didn't either but on the field for the most part they kids behaved.

I like how you strategically stated "for the most part". Cause you know someone was bound to bring up Joe Ngata's cheap shot vs. Rocklin ;)

<And I guess I just did>

Ya Jimenez was their from the start when the school opened. I think he was at Woodland before.

Yes sir. Gimenez was Woodland's HC for 11 seasons prior to kick starting Whitney's program.

136-85-4 combined record. Nearly split down the middle at both stops. 69 W's at Woodland, 67 at Whitney.

Pretty darn consistent.

Word I read was he resigned to spend time with family and to take a break from the sport. I haven't heard anything about him returning any time soon. If he did, some program would be fortunate to have him.

@WWHS44
Paraclete is a small school

They have been to two regional championship games in the past 3 years with a State Championship in 2016 and just beat a Chaminade team who was ranked top 25 in the state after they lost to Oaks Christian by 7. Definitely not a small school. Maybe in numbers but not in Sports.

Woodland was D3/D4 when they lost to Whitney. I was the HC. :) We played them tough the first year. Got thumped the second year. Whitney had some very good players. The QB had a scholarship to Oregon, and the TE went to USC. They had a very good undersized RB. Their line was big. Gimenez had a good program. I see him at the Gym in the mornings. He isn't coming back.

We played Whitney my second year at Inderkum in The D2 playoffs during the first round. We beat them pretty soundly. I felt they lacked physicality compared to the teams Mike had. Folsom is a different animal. They are loaded with talent. I think Dougherty will do just fine with this group.

@zebs I feel like any coach would do just fine with Folsom's players...lol

Even Coach AL! Who won with equal or better talent and is the only NorCal program besides DLS to win an Open State title.

As I said before, there will never be a substitute for talent! If a coach is gifted an abundance of it, they’ll usually fare pretty damn well.

@WWHS44

They have been to two regional championship games in the past 3 years with a State Championship in 2016 and just beat a Chaminade team who was ranked top 25 in the state after they lost to Oaks Christian by 7. Definitely not a small school. Maybe in numbers but not in Sports.

Kinda like how Serra-Gardena is a small school, right? ;)

Sac Top 10 after 3 weeks.
1. Folsom
2. Monterey Trail
3. Oak Ridge
4. Inderkum
5. Capital Christian
6. Granite Bay
7. Whitney
8. Davis
9. Sheldon
10. DO
Bubble: Placer (2 close loses to Whitney and Newman)

First 3 seem like a lock.. gets interchangeable after.

Sac Top 10 after 3 weeks.
1. Folsom
2. Monterey Trail
3. Oak Ridge
4. Inderkum
5. Capital Christian
6. Granite Bay
7. Whitney
8. Davis
9. Sheldon
10. DO
Bubble: Placer (2 close loses to Whitney and Newman)

First 3 seem like a lock.. gets interchangeable after.
Respect your top 10 Larry but I see it this way.

1. Folsom
2. MT
3. OR
4. Indy
5. CC
6. Whitney
7. Granite Bay
8. Elk Grove
9. Placer
10. DO
Bubble: Vista Del Lago & Davis

"Seems" like a lock TR. hahhahha. Probably too early to tell but I like this years OR team a lot more than the past. Better athletes than in past and the best QB since Book. They play in a tough league and Indy always seems to get bounced from the playoffs prematurely after having a lot of success in the regular season. . We will see what sort of OR team shows up against Folsom in 2 weeks.

"Seems" like a lock TR. hahhahha. Probably too early to tell but I like this years OR team a lot more than the past. Better athletes than in past and the best QB since Book. They play in a tough league and Indy always seems to get bounced from the playoffs prematurely after having a lot of success in the regular season. . We will see what sort of OR team shows up against Folsom in 2 weeks.

Fair enough. I'm not busting balls, but rather really was curious about your reasoning. As you said, it's still way early and hard to know a lot.

We should have a better indication once OR faces DO in about 5 weeks, as they'll have faced a common opponent. That's not the end all be all, of course, but it's at least something to work with.

I think that MT just had a win that might prove benchmark as the season wears along. SRV was a good team last season and faces both CVC and DLS in several weeks.

As for Indy, they were legit last season. There's no shame losing to a Central Catholic team that might have beaten Del Oro for the section title if not for the ejection of their QB. And Indy played CC right down to the wire and easily could have won. It's not like they are losing to scrub teams or not being competitive against these other top teams.

Besides, the same can be said about OR, no? They do well in the regular season too then get bounced by the Semi's each season. That's no knock on OR, who is a very good program and is losing to the likes of St. Mary's, Elk Grove and Monterey Trail -- all top SJS teams.

But the same is true of Indy. Losing out to Oakdale, CC and Del Oro isn't something they should be criticized for IMO. Those are great SJS programs too.

Last edited:
Enrollments were released today. Cosumnes Oaks is the smallest of the possible playoff teams. After that, Inderkum is the most likely of the expected D1 playoff teams to get bumped down.

Reactions: ThunderRam
OR would most likely have issues with both Indy and MT. They would need to really control the ball and limit big plays. OR in the SJS last year had a lot of problems with the speed of MT but it was the QB who was absolutely dynamic and special. The fact that he moved on was one reason I thought MT would be down this year. That kid was a track and football star. Hopefully these 2 can meet up again.

Zach Larrier was the best QB in MT history, so he won't be easily replaced. That whole group of skills players last year was strong. QB, RB, and WR with scholarships. There are a lot of good, young players in the program, though. It should be another exciting year.

Oak Ridge will be 3-0 going into first league game against Folsom. OR is much improved but still “on paper” not in Folsom league. I’ve seen both teams and it will be a good game I think for 2 and possibly 3 qtrs. Oak Ridge looks much crisper but talent is still in favor of bulldogs. Maybe I’m being too optimistic...

They better triple team Badger.

I value each and everyone of ALL your thoughts and insights into the leagues,teams,players,accomplishments,TITLES but I have to at this time with this Placer team after losing a good group of seniors last yr say that Placer IMHO right now at 1-2 having lost close to Whitney(who everyone seems to be talking about)47-34 and a very close 30-27 loss to Santa Rosa’s Cardinal Newman and still play final 2 pre-season games vs a usually solid Vista Del Lago then entertain Oakland’s Bishop O’Dowd in Auburn....I would honestly rank our relatively young Placer Hillmen somewhere in the LOW teens...15-20,that is IMHO.....and you all know how passionate I am about our lil strawchewers.Placer right now is nowhere near a top 15 let alone a top 10.....those are some VERY good teams up there in the 10.Placer is growing and learning everyday and this yr,this group playing the Whitney’s,Cardinal Newman’s,Bishop O’Dowd’s,Hell Eureka last couple yrs not bad at all...and an always descent Vista Del Lago.Placer this yr is preparing to compete and defend its 2018 D3 FVL Title vs D4 State Champion Rio Linda and SJS single season rushing leader Cameron Skatebo,Ponderosa,Lincoln,Oakmont,Nevada Union.In this new D3 FVL Placer is the small fish in the big pond(enrollment 1250)all others are in the 1600+ to 2000+ (Lincoln,Oakmont I believe).So I believe our Hillmen are somewhere in the bottom teens of the rankings BUT could be somewhere in between 10-15 should they go 6-1,7-0 remainder of schedule.....just my input! Your thoughts.

Last edited:
I’ll let everyone in on a little secret.....Placer’s BEST RB who also plays SAFETY has yet to play,I got that info from a VERY GOOD source!And that shocked me because I think FB Grassman and RB Whigam are pretty darn good along with a couple jr’s lately who have been running the ball,we shall see!Go Placer.......NEWS FLASH...just got word......the RB has just been medically CLEARED to practice and will play first league game vs Nevada Union!

Last edited:
THE BEE’S FOOTBALL RANKINGS 9/09/2019
1. Folsom (2-0)

2. Monterey Trail (3-0)

3. Oak Ridge (3-0)

4. Capital Christian (2-1)

5. Inderkum (3-0)

6. Granite Bay (2-1)

7. Del Oro (2-1)

8. Davis (3-0)

9. Rocklin (2-1)

11. Sheldon (2-1)

12. Elk Grove (1-1)

10. Vacaville (1-2)

13. Jesuit (0-2)

14. Whitney (2-1)

15. Placer (1-2)

16. Center (3-0)

17. Rio Linda (2-1)

18. Bear River (3-0)

19. Yuba City (2-1)

20. Pleasant Grove (2-0)

Bubble teams (alphabetical order): Casa Roble (1-2), Colfax (1-1), Cosumnes Oaks (2-1), Del Campo (1-1), El Camino (3-0), Franklin (2-1), Laguna Creek (2-1), Lincoln (2-1), Nevada Union (1-1), Oakmont (3-0), Ponderosa (2-1), River Valley (2-1), Roseville (2-1), Vista del Lago (3-0), Woodcreek (1-2), Woodland (1-2).

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/article234864477.html

THE BEE’S FOOTBALL RANKINGS 9/09/2019

I think Indy is a bit low, but they've got time to rise.

Also very curious to see how good Davis Sr. proves to be.

They beat Grant Union by similar margins as Central-Fresno and Eastside Catholic-WA then crushed a decent Woodland team. With Elk Grove, Sheldon and Jesuit on their horizon, we should find out soon.

10 of the top 14 teams are in the SFL and the Delta. Really tough to predict the Delta right now. The pecking order in the middle of the SFL is no easy guess either. League play is going to settle a lot of issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT