ADVERTISEMENT

Sacred Heart Basketball, New Beginnings 2016/17 Season

drmarkppd

Rookie
Oct 11, 2015
After reading the posts about SHCP for two years, I figured it would be a great idea to provide information and clear up a few things before the season gets started.

I am a former basketball player, City College of San Francisco (Coach Brad Duggan) and Indiana University (Bob Knight). I played overseas in a number of countries for years. I coach on the AAU level and have three boys who all play basketball. My son Nathan Robinson (the oldest) has been at SHC for two years. What you are about to read is not guess work by a couch pillow. I know more about the game then I care to know and have deep insight on SHC basketball for the past two years.

Parents did not get the previous coach fired, and no parent suggested to fire him! I understand the CB had success in the past, but things change, and this generation of kids is different if you coach you know this. They will do what they feel unless the COACH teaches, directs and in some cases makes kids choose my way or the highway.

We expect the kids to give 110% effort and that should be done from coaches. Coaching is not always about wins and losses and must include discipline, personal development, community service, playing as a team and respect. Making a kid a better player is easy but are coaches making players better people?

We have a new coach, and he is great for this generation of kids. Does that mean they will win, I don't know. But what I do know is that these are kids, and as adults, we should encourage them to be the best they can be and sometimes that is not good enough to win games.

I can say the boys on SHC will be managed from the sideline and won't be allowed to dictate to the coach what plays they want to run or when they feel like playing defense or skip weight training, miss workouts, refuse to work out, disrespect each other on the court, refuse to wear team shoes, walk back on D, refuse to pass the ball to teammates, not this year! If so, this coach will not tolerate it!

So, let's all move in a New Direction with the SHC boys basketball program and support the team, if you are a fan, lol. They have been working hard to play to the best of their ability and who know’s they might just surprise some people…..

Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson, Thank you your post...Can you shed some light on why Hollins transferred? Was it a personal choice from his family or him? Do you think CB changed the team to accommodate Hollins style of play? Your son will be one of the leaders this year so more will be expected of him. As a alumnus, Nate appears like an excellent kid, he has a great attitude and demeanor on the court. I have also heard from several students that your son is very humble and just a nice kid period. If SHC had faces of the team he definitely should be one of them on a SHC basketball brochure or banner. Can you elaborate on the 2017 season and why you think they will surprise or be a better team than last year? Also, your younger boys, what are their strengths now or weaknesses and do you plan on them all going to SHC in the future? What a legacy they can bring to the program:)

After reading the posts about SHCP for two years, I figured it would be a great idea to provide information and clear up a few things before the season gets started.

I am a former basketball player, City College of San Francisco (Coach Brad Duggan) and Indiana University (Bob Knight). I played overseas in a number of countries for years. I coach on the AAU level and have three boys who all play basketball. My son Nathan Robinson (the oldest) has been at SHC for two years. What you are about to read is not guess work by a couch pillow. I know more about the game then I care to know and have deep insight on SHC basketball for the past two years.

Parents did not get the previous coach fired, and no parent suggested to fire him! I understand the CB had success in the past, but things change, and this generation of kids is different if you coach you know this. They will do what they feel unless the COACH teaches, directs and in some cases makes kids choose my way or the highway.

We expect the kids to give 110% effort and that should be done from coaches. Coaching is not always about wins and losses and must include discipline, personal development, community service, playing as a team and respect. Making a kid a better player is easy but are coaches making players better people?

We have a new coach, and he is great for this generation of kids. Does that mean they will win, I don't know. But what I do know is that these are kids, and as adults, we should encourage them to be the best they can be and sometimes that is not good enough to win games.

I can say the boys on SHC will be managed from the sideline and won't be allowed to dictate to the coach what plays they want to run or when they feel like playing defense or skip weight training, miss workouts, refuse to work out, disrespect each other on the court, refuse to wear team shoes, walk back on D, refuse to pass the ball to teammates, not this year! If so, this coach will not tolerate it!

So, let's all move in a New Direction with the SHC boys basketball program and support the team, if you are a fan, lol. They have been working hard to play to the best of their ability and who know’s they might just surprise some people…..

Mark Robinson

Thank you Mr. Robinson. Your insight helps dissect how dysfunctional things got in the past 3 years. I've seen Nate on BART and the Robinson family has my admiration. Nate could've went to any school in the east bay but he chose SH. That commitment and continued commitment speaks volumes of your family.

As for the past few years, I have not seen SH teams with that much lack of chemistry. Teammates that dont like their teammates or dont trust their teammates is not a good formula for success. Unfortunately for our previous coach, he could not find the right answer. I believe in the new coach and his coaching style. I think if you have a team that is scrappy and works hard on defense, it will translate to overall team success.

Looking forward to see new wrinkles in Nate's game this season.

Reactions: drmarkppd
I think if you have a team that is scrappy and works hard on defense, it will translate to overall team success.

Coach McKay was standing all game long and focused on the court, and that was during the Alumni game. Too bad Hollins chose to transfer.

Mark Robinson, Thank you your post...Can you shed some light on why Hollins transferred? Was it a personal choice from his family or him? Do you think CB changed the team to accommodate Hollins style of play? Your son will be one of the leaders this year so more will be expected of him. As a alumnus, Nate appears like an excellent kid, he has a great attitude and demeanor on the court. I have also heard from several students that your son is very humble and just a nice kid period. If SHC had faces of the team he definitely should be one of them on a SHC basketball brochure or banner. Can you elaborate on the 2017 season and why you think they will surprise or be a better team than last year? Also, your younger boys, what are their strengths now or weaknesses and do you plan on them all going to SHC in the future? What a legacy they can bring to the program:)

Hollins is a great kid, leaving SHC was more of a preference to play on a National level to get him more exposure and although people have their opinions, he gave SHC three years and now its time for him to do something for himself. Also, he will play on ESPN a few times. I think the biggest thing for AH is the fact that he is away from the city and has a real chance to grow as a person, being away from family and friends will do that. I have seen the post about him leaving and folks writing he should have stayed. I often wondered how many of them live in Bay View? How many of them have ever been to Bay View? Although I hated to see him leave I truly believe it's the best thing for him.

We didn't take advantage of AH skill set last year because he can play all five positions. Without him, we lose scoring and major rebounding but once this group gets a few games under their belts I think the quickness and speed make them a good team. I don't know about being better than last year but if they can win more than 4 WCAL games, that will answer the question, lol.

Hollins is a great kid, leaving SHC was more of a preference to play on a National level to get him more exposure and although people have their opinions, he gave SHC three years and now its time for him to do something for himself. Also, he will play on ESPN a few times. I think the biggest thing for AH is the fact that he is away from the city and has a real chance to grow as a person, being away from family and friends will do that. I have seen the post about him leaving and folks writing he should have stayed. I often wondered how many of them live in Bay View? How many of them have ever been to Bay View? Although I hated to see him leave I truly believe it's the best thing for him.

We didn't take advantage of AH skill set last year because he can play all five positions. Without him, we lose scoring and major rebounding but once this group gets a few games under their belts I think the quickness and speed make them a good team. I don't know about being better than last year but if they can win more than 4 WCAL games, that will answer the question, lol.

Thank you for your response...I think your statement is fair and I do not know the kid or his family situation at all. However, my general feeling is moving senior year isn't exactly the best timing either and the WCAL is as good as any league to improve and perform. Yes, I have been in the Bayview and one can argue at least at the academic and athletic level he got a excellent chance to excel at a good school where I am sure others in his area did not.

Yes without him individually, SHC basketball would have even lost more games but it might be fair to state the team just couldn't play cohesively around him either nor did he make the team play better. Best of luck to Hollins, he will do well at the next level I am sure, maybe the change of scenery somewhere is what he needs too. As a another poster said, your son takes BART and travels to come to SHC everyday and he could easily be playing at Salesian or O'dowd, etc, so that already speaks volumes and shows another level of commitment that isn't measured.

Last edited:
Reactions: drmarkppd
Hollins is a great kid. I have seen the post about him leaving and folks writing he should have stayed. I often wondered how many of them live in Bay View? How many of them have ever been to Bay View?

Don't worry. I know.

I don't come on this website too much now of days my son has graduated from S.H but when I read your comments Mr. Robison I must say somethings you are saying you are right on point about it was time for him to move on... But for you to sit here and act like you and some other parents wasn't part of the problem ( you are not being honest at all) I personally heard that you wrote a letter to JoAnn regarding COACH I also know you wanted him to play Nate at point guard and you didn't care about if the team won or lost your only concern was him playing point guard you personally has went and sat in Coach Barber Office trying to tell him what he should do,,, So for you to come on here and try to make it like it was all him you are not.As we say KEEPING IT REAL,,,Let alone you and another parent not getting along and you both making things worse with the kids,,Last you the same parent who told Coach that you wouldn't let your son play summer league because of the assistant coach Who does that

Reactions: rebelmafia
I don't come on this website too much now of days my son has graduated from S.H but when I read your comments Mr. Robison I must say somethings you are saying you are right on point about it was time for him to move on... But for you to sit here and act like you and some other parents wasn't part of the problem ( you are not being honest at all) I personally heard that you wrote a letter to JoAnn regarding COACH I also know you wanted him to play Nate at point guard and you didn't care about if the team won or lost your only concern was him playing point guard you personally has went and sat in Coach Barber Office trying to tell him what he should do,,, So for you to come on here and try to make it like it was all him you are not.As we say KEEPING IT REAL,,,Let alone you and another parent not getting along and you both making things worse with the kids,,Last you the same parent who told Coach that you wouldn't let your son play summer league because of the assistant coach Who does that

Interesting. I wonder when that happened because I do remember the Bruce game and for some reason, Nate was bringing the ball up on multiple possessions and not Melo. I want to say 90% of the time Nate was bringing the ball up, Trammell picked him before midcourt or forced him into a turnover. It was very frustrating to watch because you have the arguably the best ball handler in the league and hes not bringing the ball up?

And the day was going so well,. Thanks for your response, it's people like you that start fires and run! My intention in my original post was not to have a back and fourth with anyone, especially a person I don't know. However, you, my friend have open the door to a room which you are not qualified to be in. Anyone who knows me would tell you I am all about two things developing kids and winning, in that ordIt's Its the only basketball environment I have every been associated with. So let me address your points clearly and carefully.

I never wrote a letter to anyone, if you have proof to the matter, put up or SHUT UP. I had a relationship with CB and we spoke all the time and 90% of the time our conversations had nothing to do with basketball and I often warned him of the issues outside of basketball that athletes (young black athletes) deal with. In fact, I speak to coaches from all sport at levels around the country on the subject (just so you know). But I think you might be referring to the Personal Player Development report CB ASKED me to write for him (ASKED ME TO WRITE FOR HIM) while we were having lunch. I have a copy if your interested in reading it. You should check www.ippdword.com, because thats what your talking about, so, misguided!

I did have a conversation with CB about
my son handling the ball, not playing point guard, its a big difference. If you know so much about the program, you will know that our PG last year was Mello. Since Mello has been at SHC he has been injured at different times during a season and not able to play. Therefore, going into the season I DID have a conversation about my son having the opportunity to handle the basketball, because, I felt if given that opportunity we as a team would not suffer and my son would be better prepared, if Mello became injured. As you know (I hope) it is not easy to go from running the lane to becoming the PG. What happen? Mello left school and my son was made to play PG, (not just handle the ball) with no prep or experience at the WCAL level, before the biggest game of the year (the Bruce) and struggled big time at that position, why, because he was not given the opportunity to handle the basketball prior, as discussed. My conversation did not make CB put my son at the PG position, Mello being out at that time did. And you will also recall when Mello came back my son moved back to the SG position. You must have missed all that!

Speaking of the Summer 2015, my son played in the summer in a tournament in Livermore and CB coached the team. Moving forward to the summer league at CCSF, my son played in the first game and you are correct it was coached by one of the assistant coaches. It was a five in five out sub rotation and CB told me he was not going to coach and he never coaches in that league. Thats a time I let the assistants coach, so THEY can get experience. So let's get this right, the Head coach from HMB, University, SI, etc, all coach their teams during the summer to work on things and develop them and we have the an assistant coaching in a five in five out system, so coaches can get experience, not so the kids can develop and get better but so the coach can get experience? SO, you are correct again. My son is not traveling 50 minutes across the bay for one running clock game so coaches can get experience. If you noticed my son did not miss summer league games this summer unless he was out out town with AAU. However, the purpose of this summers program was player development.

As far a parents, don't know about all that, all of the parents who's kid was on the team last year, I speak to weekly, (Hollins Grand dad, Smith's Dad) with the exception of Hillmans dad as we only would exchange hello's as well as Jamar's dad. But I do know the parents your talking about but it was not me.

I hope I addressed all your points and in closing this part. I often find it strange how people like yourself put a coaches role above a teachers. If I can request a meeting with my sons History teacher regarding how we can get the most out of the kid to get the best grade possible, why is it inappropriate to have the same conversation with the coach? How about this one, if you know a kid is struggling with a subject, we provide him tutors to ensure he is prepared to take the chapter test. But for parents to have a conversation with the football or basketball coach about their kid preparing to be the best they can be, well, thats a no no! I say BS!

Now, lets GET REAL! My son, was one of two kids that attend every 6am preseason workout his freshman year and then his sophomore year, FACT! Its a fact because I drove him to each one leaving the east bay at 5am, not you, not CB. All the players were told to attend. I sat outside that gym each morning and witnessed none of the other players, most of them live in SF. They were in BED, Ok! No consequence, no punishment, nothing. No one said a word, CB and two kids out of a team of 14 getting ready for the season? If you think this is acceptable you must be an SI fan. I am all about winning and inorder to do that you must have everyone ALL in from day one! If not were just looking at playing recreational basketball.

Our kids are a daily investment and if you think my involvement with my sons development as a person and a player is not to your standard, thats your opinion. If you or anyone else have something else to express on the subject I suggest you do two things, grow a pair, then grab your phone ,and give me a call. Make sure you unblock your number, 415-378-7658, Gut Check!

Interesting. I wonder when that happened because I do remember the Bruce game and for some reason, Nate was bringing the ball up on multiple possessions and not Melo. I want to say 90% of the time Nate was bringing the ball up, Trammell picked him before midcourt or forced him into a turnover. It was very frustrating to watch because you have the arguably the best ball handler in the league and hes not bringing the ball up?
Your right about that Mello is one of the best. However, he was not on the team during that time. You people remember what you want about a game and act as if 7000 plus people saw a different game... smh

Reactions: nostancenochance
Your right about that Mello is one of the best. However, he was not on the team during that time. You people remember what you want about a game and act as if 7000 plus people saw a different game... smh

Ah yes, Melo was not with the team. Welp, if I guess Barbour didnt have much choice on who he wanted to bring up the ball, either a freshman who probably hasnt played in front of 7,000 fans before or a sophomore who's more or a shooter than a ball handler.

My apologies for the major factoid of Melo not playing this game.

Our SH community has been very spoiled with success. Having great teams led by the likes or Greene/Brown/Cooper/Gartrell and then Johns/Fox/Petroni/Pratt. It seemed as though we were becoming a "reload" school. That didnt translate well afterwards as the talent didnt match the success. The boys teams were not able to emulate the girls teams who seem to have the system down pat. I would guess the goal of the school is to be like Mitty where every year they are stocked full of D1 talent, making deep playoff runs, and are either playing in the NorCal or State Finals or both on the basketball side of things.

I hope the wins come again. For now, Im happy to see a change just for the sake of changing things up with Coach Mackay. You can see there is growth happening with this years team which is all you can ask for at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT