6-2 Ryder Bush
6-4 Jasen Davis
6-4 Andrew Hilman
6-6 John Tofi Jr
6-6 Jasir Rencher
6-10 Nes Emeneke

Add: 6-1 TT Carr

Reactions: ayalar09
It is really big news. I would think Riordan starts at No. 1 followed by Salesian and Modesto Christian in some order

Will he have to sit out the preseason? or is he moving into the dorms for his change of residence? Wonder how he's going to make up all those religious requirements to graduate!! PURPLE RAIN!

Reactions: PALFan
Will he have to sit out the preseason? or is he moving into the dorms for his change of residence? Wonder how he's going to make up all those religious requirements to graduate!! PURPLE RAIN!

Pretty sure his family already lives in the city.

Reactions: bearphan
Pretty sure his family already lives in the city.
So he's from the City, dad played at Riordan, but he traveled north to play for Branson?
I'm a little puzzled to begin with. Riordan is a very good school, has great athletics, and has a family lineage.
The move makes more sense than many of these other transfers if these things are true.

We played Branson Friday night. I can see why he transferred. They don't have the tools to help him this year. Not enough to even fight through. Very very young team.

We played Branson Friday night. I can see why he transferred. They don't have the tools to help him this year. Not enough to even fight through. Very very young team.
Interesting. Not sure how you learn perseverance and commitment without challenges. I guess this is one of the reasons kids are transferring schools at both HS and college levels, so they can avoid having to overcome adversity. I hope that's not the case with Semetri because he's a great kid.

Interesting. Not sure how you learn perseverance and commitment without challenges. I guess this is one of the reasons kids are transferring schools at both HS and college levels, so they can avoid having to overcome adversity. I hope that's not the case with Semetri because he's a great kid.
you dont think there are challeges at riodan? the stakes are higher for sure, and the pressure is immense.
people arent transferring down, more than they are moving up.

So he's from the City, dad played at Riordan, but he traveled north to play for Branson?
I'm a little puzzled to begin with. Riordan is a very good school, has great athletics, and has a family lineage.
The move makes more sense than many of these other transfers if these things are true.
Keep in mind that Branson has been very good for one thing and is also an elite academic school which hopefully counts for something these days. Riordan is also a good school, of course, but Branson is a bit higher up the charts.

Reactions: observer22
Keep in mind that Branson has been very good for one thing and is also an elite academic school which hopefully counts for something these days. Riordan is also a good school, of course, but Branson is a bit higher up the charts.
Agree. Branson is probably like going to CAL and Riordan like UC Davis. Both places you will end up with a good degree and have the tools to do whatever you want. My uncles are Riordan alumni and have done just fine.

Reactions: cityfan
First chance to witness the Carr Crusaders is tonight at CCSF Wellness Center
6:30 Riordan vs Fremont(Oakland)
8:30 Riordan vs Washington (SF)

you dont think there are challeges at riodan? the stakes are higher for sure, and the pressure is immense.
people arent transferring down, more than they are moving up.
Hoops-wise, the one of the glaring challenges since Riordan became THIS Riordan is: One ball, too many mouths to feed. (I date this starting when Bryce Monroe transferred there), then the waterfall of talent from everywhere started coming (Rinny, Sek, Sensley, etc.)

Hoops-wise, the one of the glaring challenges since Riordan became THIS Riordan is: One ball, too many mouths to feed. (I date this starting when Bryce Monroe transferred there), then the waterfall of talent from everywhere started coming (Rinny, Sek, Sensley, etc.)
i absolutely agree and have said that many many times... it is MUCH harder to coach talent when it is only 32 minutes in the game.. to whom much is given much is expected and that has hurt Riordan... everyone cant be the chief.

i absolutely agree and have said that many many times... it is MUCH harder to coach talent when it is only 32 minutes in the game.. to whom much is given much is expected and that has hurt Riordan... everyone cant be the chief.
I'll add on with this as an example. Riordan got a kid Jordie Mckenzie from wherever he was at his junior year. Comes over to Riordan for his senior year just so he can just stand in the corner to launch his 5-8 three-pointers a game (if hes lucky to touch the ball) when he already secured his college scholarship. In this finite time period of life, you dont have many opportunities to be the man cuz as you you progress to the next levels, your chances of being that guy diminish.

I'll add on with this as an example. Riordan got a kid Jordie Mckenzie from wherever he was at his junior year. Comes over to Riordan for his senior year just so he can just stand in the corner to launch his 5-8 three-pointers a game (if hes lucky to touch the ball) when he already secured his college scholarship. In this finite time period of life, you dont have many opportunities to be the man cuz as you you progress to the next levels, your chances of being that guy diminish.
Yup and that is why you will always have a school like Salesian with 1-2 D1 guys and a bunch of D2-JC guys that will beat the Riordan's of the world. They totally buy in and are comfortable with getting their 10-12 ppg. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't only 1 guy from Salesian average over 10ppg last year?

Yup and that is why you will always have a school like Salesian with 1-2 D1 guys and a bunch of D2-JC guys that will beat the Riordan's of the world. They totally buy in and are comfortable with getting their 10-12 ppg. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't only 1 guy from Salesian average over 10ppg last year?
You can definitely appreciate a team like Salesian because those kids are really coached up and buy into their roles. Do we know in general if most of their kids on the roster are from Richmond/area. From time to time O'Dowd is just like this.

Reactions: larry legend33
No one averaged 10 points per game last season at Salesian, but 8 kids averaged 7 or more points per game. Team averaged 80 points per game on offense.

You can definitely appreciate a team like Salesian because those kids are really coached up and buy into their roles. Do we know in general if most of their kids on the roster are from Richmond/area. From time to time O'Dowd is just like this.
Salesian’s terrific pg, Aaron Claytor, was a transfer from Hawaii 2 years ago.

McKenzie transferred from Pinole Valley. So in his senior season he played in the NorCal TipOff (vs. SS runnerup Roosevelt), Gridley (vs. Branson, SRV, Clovis North), Catholic Classic @ crypto.com Arena (vs. NV state champ Bishop Gorman), Crush in the Valley (vs Corona Centennial), MLK (vs. Salesian), and WCAL league (SI, Mitty, Serra among them). Not sure he would play against that competition if he stayed at PV.

I agree it's a challenge to have talented players coming in for only 1-2 seasons, trying to build team chemistry and lineup rotations, with some players sitting out until January. Teams like Salesian have teammates come up with them all 4 years, including AAU and summer ball. Definitely hurts Riordan in the won/loss collumn with those early season losses without a full roster. Could have been a different story had Riordan had home court thru NorCals.

No one averaged 10 points per game last season at Salesian, but 8 kids averaged 7 or more points per game. Team averaged 80 points per game on offense.
Thats an incredible stat. I do believe they pull from a wide range of places all over the greater bay area. Pretty sure they have a kid from Ukiah who actually stays down during the week. But that's not different than anybody else today and there are much worse "offenders."
They are a joy to watch.

McKenzie transferred from Pinole Valley. So in his senior season he played in the NorCal TipOff (vs. SS runnerup Roosevelt), Gridley (vs. Branson, SRV, Clovis North), Catholic Classic @ crypto.com Arena (vs. NV state champ Bishop Gorman), Crush in the Valley (vs Corona Centennial), MLK (vs. Salesian), and WCAL league (SI, Mitty, Serra among them). Not sure he would play against that competition if he stayed at PV.

I agree it's a challenge to have talented players coming in for only 1-2 seasons, trying to build team chemistry and lineup rotations, with some players sitting out until January. Teams like Salesian have teammates come up with them all 4 years, including AAU and summer ball. Definitely hurts Riordan in the won/loss collumn with those early season losses without a full roster. Could have been a different story had Riordan had home court thru NorCals.
Love me some Bill Mellis ;) Been to Gridley the last 15 years in a row.

Here's wishing youj great hoops

In the end its just basketball. I do lean towards the kids that have put in the work, the hours, the dedication/loyalty to the school and coaching staff and theoretically "earned" a bigger role on the team for their following seasons. Ive seen too many examples of kids riding the bench because someone else came in the next year who is the shiny new object and took minutes/opportunities from kids who have been already there.

You can argue that the competition will make them all better. That is definitely true. Its how some schools and their programs operate now. It is what it is.

Obviously, you didn't see Jordy's entire game. He played great defense and also was a slasher and finished strong. His play earned the starting role over Berridge. Berridge did have a great post season run with highlight level play starting with the CCS Open Title game all the way to the NorCal Title game.

Love me some Bill Mellis ;) Been to Gridley the last 15 years in a row.

Here's wishing you great hoops

On the way out from watching Salesian win the semifinal game at Gridley, I passed Coach Mellis and told him how much I liked his team, and he told me that the 2023-2024 team was his favorite ever, no egos, ball never sticks, everyone plays tough D, etc.

And I doubt he was throwing any shade on any of his past great teams... This one was magical.

Maybe I am out of date on the rules. Guys playing already in summer for schools before they even start the academic year. Did not know that was legal. All these posting by Riordan doesn't it show recruiting. Still have to go through the clearing process with CCS.

Never seen a problem with it... and have been going to these June scrimmages for a few years. I think the fact they ARE scrimmages allows this activity.

I'm pretty sure I've seen guys play with their future teams, even though they weren't eligible to play in actual games until the 30-day sit was done.

You're correct. Salesian did have at least 3 d1 players this year

8-10 players on that Pride roster will be playing at the next level -D-1, D2, D3, JC
Thats what makes them so great. I've always thought the best HS teams I've seen over the years mixed in a bunch of college guys at various levels. The all star teams rarely win because chemistry matters.
To win at the Open level every starter has to be playing at the next level somewhere as do the top guys off the bench.

Maybe I am out of date on the rules. Guys playing already in summer for schools before they even start the academic year. Did not know that was legal. All these posting by Riordan doesn't it show recruiting. Still have to go through the clearing process with CCS.
you act like recruiting is some secret... everyone knows it happens.. if you aint cheating you aint trying.
are these teams playing under aau teams?

To this point of rising freshmen playing varsity summer ball..,

I’m at Dougherty Valley watching one of those dudes now.

Miles Cooper is a rising freshman playing for College Park, and he is a PROBLEM!

Reactions: observer22
Why are some rising freshman allowed to play with their high school teams during the summer and some are not? League rule or section rule?

As long as a kid is ENROLLED into that school there is no issue. If it is not a valid transfer move they will have to sit 30 Days. Summer has nothing to do with CIF in most cases and everyone is "ELIGIBLE" to play summer even kids with 1.0 GPA. The problem starts when a kids is on the bench of a school BEFORE he is actually enrolled.
Then it becomes PRE ENROLLMENT contact which makes it illegal.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
As long as a kid is ENROLLED into that school there is no issue. If it is not a valid transfer move they will have to sit 30 Days. Summer has nothing to do with CIF in most cases and everyone is "ELIGIBLE" to play summer even kids with 1.0 GPA. The problem starts when a kids is on the bench of a school BEFORE he is actually enrolled.
Then it becomes PRE ENROLLMENT contact which makes it illegal.
Do you enroll in a school in june?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT