ADVERTISEMENT

Serra 7, SI 0

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
That win secures a WCAL regular-season title (or co-title with Valley Christian depending on league rules) for the Padres. It's their 20th since the WCAL was founded 50 years ago. Up next: League playoffs. Serra and VC wound up 11-3 in league action but the Padres beat VC twice. Serra must win the playoffs to nail down an outright championship if, in fact, they don't have to share the regular season title. The San Mateans won six baseball crowns in the old CAL as well, giving them a grand total of 26. Somewhere in the great hereafter, Jim Fregosi and Danny Frisella are smiling tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: calm62
I've indicated my thoughts on titles. Good luck to all in playoffs. BTW, I hear SHC beat Riordan in 9 innings 4-3. What a dismal season for the Wildcats. But with feel good playoff format a deserving team (Top 4) has to throw an arm. I think last year, S.I came in 7th place, had one ace and beat SHC in first round. Is any team from City qualifying for CCS, or do they have to win WCAL. Again, I only think Top 4 teams should play in a playoff (5-8 should just take their shot in CCS. IMHO.

I remember when only the champion went to sectionals. Two teams that made championship game made it to CCS starting in 1980.

According to SJ Mercury, Serra wins round-robin title by virtue of two wins over VC.

SF should get the #3 seed....Mitty and SF split....so they look at records against the 1st place team. (Serra). They both beat Serra once...so they look at record against 2nd place team. (VC) VC swept Mitty, but SF beat VC once....That would break the tie...unless they have changed the rules in the last couple years. SF/SHC and Bells/Mitty in first round is what I think.

SF should get the #3 seed....Mitty and SF split....so they look at records against the 1st place team. (Serra). They both beat Serra once...so they look at record against 2nd place team. (VC) VC swept Mitty, but SF beat VC once....That would break the tie...unless they have changed the rules in the last couple years. SF/SHC and Bells/Mitty in first round is what I think.

Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT