ADVERTISEMENT

SFL After Week 2

smashmouthrick

Hall of Famer
Sep 7, 2006
Newcastle Ca.
With two games under SFL teams belt(except Whitney) here is my take on how they rank but first here is Cal preps rating snapshot as of 8/26/18 listed from highest to lowest:

Folsom: 69.9, SOS through 2 games: 57.4, Margin: 11.5
Oak Ridge: 32.8, SOS through 2 games: 10.3, Margin: 39
Del Oro: 30.6, SOS through 2 games: 2.4, Margin: 30
Rocklin: 12.5, SOS through 2 games: 6.4, Margin: 17.5
Grant: 10.1, SOS through 2 games: 19.4 Margin: -2
Granite Bay: 9.9, SOS through 2 games: 28.6 Margin: -17
Whitney: -0.8, SOS through 1 game: 22.7 Margin: -14

SMR's SFL ranking Week 1:
1 Folsom(surprise surprise)
  • No debate here, played DLS tough in a game that was arguably closer than the score board numbers
  • Bevy of starters on O & D returning
  • At another level vs the rest of the SFL and vs NorCal not named DLS
  • Crown them SFL champs now?
2 Oak Ridge
  • OR always seems to start out quiet but quickly establish themselves as the #2 or #3 team in the SFL early in the season
  • OR also always seems to produce a very good QB and no exception this year with Matt Jenner at 6-4 210lbs
  • OR has wider points margin and have played tougher teams vs DO so not hard for me to rank them over DO
  • OR has had DO's number
3 Del Oro
  • DO has gone to a more balanced attack vs their traditional run first out of the Pro Set
  • While it is weird for me to see DO running the spread they have looked very good executing it as they have some depth at the receiver position and a good QB
  • DO looked good in their first two games but they have not really played anyone that has challenged them
  • For me the jury is out on the spread until through the first three SFL games
  • Good size and skill at OL & DL and some good DB's with a little speed
  • 2nd year HC and 1st year DC
4 Granite Bay
  • This is where it get a little tougher, who is 4th?
  • Argument can be made for Rocklin or Grant but while GB has scored only 3 points in 2 games they have actually played someone
  • D is looking good but can't say the same for O
  • First SFL game can put them in 3rd with a win over DO but they have to put points on the board
  • Going to give GB the benefit of the doubt that they will improve on O, Cooper is not far away;)
5 Rocklin
  • Yes Rocklin over Grant as Rocklin has played in the SFL and competes in the SFL, something we have yet to see from Grant
  • IMO Rocklin seems down this year but they have good coaching staff that always gets the most of the team
  • Rocklin plays Damonte Ranch who shut out Granite Bay Friday 28-0 so this should be a good gauge game for GB vs Rocklin
6 Grant
  • First year in SFL for the G-men, welcome Grant!
  • Grant will raise the quality of football in the SFL with the athletes and skill they always seem to reload with and a tradition of competitiveness
  • Grant always has athletes and most years size but this year they are tilted more towards athletes vs size
  • Jury is out on Grant on how they will fare in the SFL but IMO they should compete well
  • Ding on Grant has always disciplined play. If Al and staff can improve team discipline then watch out for Grant
7 Whitney
  • Like Grant this is Whitney's first year in the SFL, welcome Whitney!
  • I don't know a lot about Whitney this year, last year they had a very tough start with coaching situation
  • They have played only one game so far vs the Hillman up the road and lost by 14
  • They play Central of Fresno this week who clobbered Grant so this will be a gauge game for Whitney vs Grant
Go SFL!!

With two games under SFL teams belt(except Whitney) here is my take on how they rank but first here is Cal preps rating snapshot as of 8/26/18 listed from highest to lowest:

Folsom: 69.9, SOS through 2 games: 57.4, Margin: 11.5
Oak Ridge: 32.8, SOS through 2 games: 10.3, Margin: 39
Del Oro: 30.6, SOS through 2 games: 2.4, Margin: 30
Rocklin: 12.5, SOS through 2 games: 6.4, Margin: 17.5
Grant: 10.1, SOS through 2 games: 19.4 Margin: -2
Granite Bay: 9.9, SOS through 2 games: 28.6 Margin: -17
Whitney: -0.8, SOS through 1 game: 22.7 Margin: -14

SMR's SFL ranking Week 1:
1 Folsom(surprise surprise)
  • No debate here, played DLS tough in a game that was arguably closer than the score board numbers
  • Bevy of starters on O & D returning
  • At another level vs the rest of the SFL and vs NorCal not named DLS
  • Crown them SFL champs now?
2 Oak Ridge
  • OR always seems to start out quiet but quickly establish themselves as the #2 or #3 team in the SFL early in the season
  • OR also always seems to produce a very good QB and no exception this year with Matt Jenner at 6-4 210lbs
  • OR has wider points margin and have played tougher teams vs DO so not hard for me to rank them over DO
  • OR has had DO's number
3 Del Oro
  • DO has gone to a more balanced attack vs their traditional run first out of the Pro Set
  • While it is weird for me to see DO running the spread they have looked very good executing it as they have some depth at the receiver position and a good QB
  • DO looked good in their first two games but they have not really played anyone that has challenged them
  • For me the jury is out on the spread until through the first three SFL games
  • Good size and skill at OL & DL and some good DB's with a little speed
  • 2nd year HC and 1st year DC
4 Granite Bay
  • This is where it get a little tougher, who is 4th?
  • Argument can be made for Rocklin or Grant but while GB has scored only 3 points in 2 games they have actually played someone
  • D is looking good but can't say the same for O
  • First SFL game can put them in 3rd with a win over DO but they have to put points on the board
  • Going to give GB the benefit of the doubt that they will improve on O, Cooper is not far away;)
5 Rocklin
  • Yes Rocklin over Grant as Rocklin has played in the SFL and competes in the SFL, something we have yet to see from Grant
  • IMO Rocklin seems down this year but they have good coaching staff that always gets the most of the team
  • Rocklin plays Damonte Ranch who shut out Granite Bay Friday 28-0 so this should be a good gauge game for GB vs Rocklin
6 Grant
  • First year in SFL for the G-men, welcome Grant!
  • Grant will raise the quality of football in the SFL with the athletes and skill they always seem to reload with and a tradition of competitiveness
  • Grant always has athletes and most years size but this year they are tilted more towards athletes vs size
  • Jury is out on Grant on how they will fare in the SFL but IMO they should compete well
  • Ding on Grant has always disciplined play. If Al and staff can improve team discipline then watch out for Grant
7 Whitney
  • Like Grant this is Whitney's first year in the SFL, welcome Whitney!
  • I don't know a lot about Whitney this year, last year they had a very tough start with coaching situation
  • They have played only one game so far vs the Hillman up the road and lost by 14
  • They play Central of Fresno this week who clobbered Grant so this will be a gauge game for Whitney vs Grant
Go SFL!!
Wow what a great breakdown! Go SFL! Best league in NorCal!

Reactions: smashmouthrick
grants strength is it’s athletes only problem with that is they don’t have a real qb coach and they don’t have the usual monsters upfront to just run down teams throat. Let’s not overreact to last week central very well could be playing folsom again for regionals. My biggest concern this year will be if they will get enough pressure with just their front against Folsom and some of the bigger lines without having to blitz. Athletically there’s no team in the sfl that will overwhelm grant with athletes FOLSOM included. I believe grant is in transition to post al era. They’ll have a younger coaching staff soon that will keep up with modern high school football which takes just as much coaching as it takes talent. In 2 years grant will be back to what it once was BOOK IT

...I believe grant is in transition to post al era. They’ll have a younger coaching staff soon that will keep up with modern high school football which takes just as much coaching as it takes talent...
Only a matter of time before Grant is back on top of the heap which will be good for NorCal football

grants strength is it’s athletes only problem with that is they don’t have a real qb coach and they don’t have the usual monsters upfront to just run down teams throat. Let’s not overreact to last week central very well could be playing folsom again for regionals. My biggest concern this year will be if they will get enough pressure with just their front against Folsom and some of the bigger lines without having to blitz. Athletically there’s no team in the sfl that will overwhelm grant with athletes FOLSOM included. I believe grant is in transition to post al era. They’ll have a younger coaching staff soon that will keep up with modern high school football which takes just as much coaching as it takes talent. In 2 years grant will be back to what it once was BOOK IT
I think the last thing you should be worried about right now is Folsom. That game will be a boat race. Just too many athletes all over the field for Folsom.

You need to be worried about getting at least one win in the SFL before thinking about anything.

It could be ugly for a while. IMO I don't think Grant ever gets back. Things have changed way too much.

Only a matter of time before Grant is back on top of the heap which will be good for NorCal football

AGREE it would be good for NorCal football.
DISAGREE that it’s “only a matter of time before Grant is back on top”. I think that ship has sailed. They may earn their way back into some level of prominence, but I don’t you’ll see them sniff a section title anytime in the near future.

DISAGREE that it’s “only a matter of time before Grant is back on top”. I think that ship has sailed. They may earn their way back into some level of prominence, but I don’t you’ll see them sniff a section title anytime in the near future.
I agree with you

I think the last thing you should be worried about right now is Folsom. That game will be a boat race. Just too many athletes all over the field for Folsom.

You need to be worried about getting at least one win in the SFL before thinking about anything.

It could be ugly for a while. IMO I don't think Grant ever gets back. Things have changed way too much.

As long as folsom doesn’t get another “wave” of athletes I like our chances in the long run. In most years grant will have the better players and that’s including this year BOOK IT. I was in attendance at the Jesuit game and I can see why sfl parents complain about Folsom folsoms biggest advantage over the other teams is speed, speed coming in from the express and badger

Hopefully moving to the sfl will benefit us a lot like it has Folsom since we both struggled to dominate the delta teams when in that league . I’m looking forward to playing oak ridge and Del Oro again

...DISAGREE that it’s “only a matter of time before Grant is back on top”...
Forgive my naïveté on the subject but what is your premise for this?

Grant has been at the top before, albeit without Folsom in the way, is the premise that Grant will not acquire/develop the coaching it takes any time soon to get to the top?

AGREE it would be good for NorCal football.

Sniffed one 4 years ago so who’s to say we can’t win another one. There’s no team that produces better talent and our coaching staff is moving in the right direction to better our program to utilize our athletes. History shows anytime we have a qb that can complete basic passes we win a championship. I wouldn’t want to see grant get back to it’s old ways either if I were a sjs team

Forgive my naïveté on the subject but what is your premise for this?

Grant has been at the top before, albeit without Folsom in the way, is the premise that Grant will not acquire/develop the coaching it takes any time soon to get to the top?

Probably bitter. A lazy fan would assume we don’t have the talent anymore or we lose kids to inderkum. Both completely false and now that we are in the sfl it’ll show that we are still producing athletes. If anybody watched our 4-6 team last year you couldn’t show me 4 teams in the sjs with better talent and size

Probably bitter. A lazy fan would assume we don’t have the talent anymore or we lose kids to inderkum. Both completely false and now that we are in the sfl it’ll show that we are still producing athletes. If anybody watched our 4-6 team last year you couldn’t show me 4 teams in the sjs with better talent and size
I think you are sniffing glue.

LOL. Doesn't even warrant a response. The game will be a boat race. Grant is likely a bottom tier SFL team at best. Just being honest.

No you weren't. Just stop it.

I was Jesuit was bigger Folsom was faster. A accurate qb from Jesuit and that gqnrbwill go down to the wire. It also didn’t help that #21 got hurt. Jesuit has a lot of players going both ways running a lot of fade routes with 87 killed any energy he should’ve had for defense. The most impressive thing about folsoms offense this year is their o line Jesuit didn’t get close to the qb, but I’m sure going both ways factored in. And for the 2nd game I think the younger Ngata looks more impressive. He’s gonna be a load to tackle for the next 2 years especially if he puts on some muscle

I was Jesuit was bigger Folsom was faster. A accurate qb from Jesuit and that gqnrbwill go down to the wire. It also didn’t help that #21 got hurt. Jesuit has a lot of players going both ways running a lot of fade routes with 87 killed any energy he should’ve had for defense. The most impressive thing about folsoms offense this year is their o line Jesuit didn’t get close to the qb, but I’m sure going both ways factored in. And for the 2nd game I think the younger Ngata looks more impressive. He’s gonna be a load to tackle for the next 2 years especially if he puts on some muscle
I think you need to focus on Whitney and give up the Folsom dream. That ship has sailed my friend.

As an outsider on this SFL thread I still have an opinion. The SFL is going to be a grind. I wouldn't be surprised if nobody goes undefeated in the SFL.

Reactions: Deltadodger
In 2 years grant will be back to what it once was BOOK IT
If all the kids that were supposed to go to grant actually went to grant they would go 2-3 years without losing a game . its enough ex - NFL heads over there to right the ship . will be interesting to see thou now that they have 3 youth leagues over there . its gonna be some real talented kids coming up over there .

Last edited:
They should probably focus on the game they have this week. Looks like Coach Taylor has got Capital playing some pretty good ball...

I’m not part of the coaching staff I’m sure the coaches will have them prepared. Central was damn good and we had chances to keep that game competitive til the end til we started imploding. We won’t face a team with more athletes than central all year BOOK It.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
If all the kids that were supposed to go to grant actually went to grant they would go 2-3 years without losing a game . its enough ex - NFL heads over there to right the ship . will be interesting to see thou now that they have 3 youth leagues over there . its gonna be some real talented kids coming up over there .

We don’t lose that many kids lol I’m the new direction we going (spread) it’ll probably attract more kids if anything and the chance to beat some of the best teams in the area is a plus. And our youth programs look very strong so the athletes will be there. If we hit on consistent qb play we will be back in that mythical “ we can beat dls” convo

We won’t face a team with more athletes than central all year
I am sure after you play Folsom you will be like "they had no athletes. Central had way more! Central is way better than Folsom!"

Most DLS fans would even agree that Folsom has the best athletes top to bottom. Even more so than DLS despite losing to them.

Book it.

Last edited:
LOL. Doesn't even warrant a response. The game will be a boat race. Grant is likely a bottom tier SFL team at best. Just being honest.

No you weren't. Just stop it.

I think we should wait a few more games to see how’s Grant going to be this season, it’s still too early in the season

grant almost not in discussion, they'all gonna be surprise in sfl, whitney-gb-rocklin down so could be 3 wins there, del oro soft schedule is question mark could be a win, oak ridge and folsom will be tough for grant, so grant could be up there near top

I think East Bay Mountain can claim the best League in Nor Cal title for now, going 2 - 0 vs SFL. EBM is 2-1 vs top 1000 teams while SFL is 1-4. Let's see how the season progresses before someone claims the title.

I think East Bay Mountain can claim the best League in Nor Cal title for now, going 2 - 0 vs SFL. EBM is 2-1 vs top 1000 teams while SFL is 1-4. Let's see how the season progresses before someone claims the title.
Small sample size. we will see where it rates on Calpreps at end of year. They have a great rating scheme.

This might be a shocking statement to make. But I would have to say that the SFL may not be as strong as we have seen in other years. You'd think it would be stronger...trading NU and Woodcreek for Grant and Whitney. But.....

Whitney is not your Whitney of two years ago....an upward rising program attracting talent from all over. Not even close.

Grant could however be great. I'd concede that. Its all about speed and execution. If they get the second part right, maybe....could be good.

Oak Ridge and Del Oro....perhaps just a little overrated. All this talk about their big tall strong quarterbacks...maybe they are okay. I'm not that impressed. Sounds like unsubstantiated press reports and, when the going gets tough, the true test will be given. Not sure if they will get good scores. The defenses look pretty good however. And the running game is certainly solid in both places.

Rocklin....I'd watch out for them. People overlook them. They might be a little better than folks give them credit for.

Granite Bay....I will concede that they should be great in fencing, tennis, badminton, swimming, diving, golf, darts, male gymnastics and snooker.

Folsom....Great but shut out by DLS. Easily whipped a not so good looking, annually overrated team from Fair Oaks or thereabouts who was without their speed guy for most of the game. Things to prove?

We shall see at the end of the season. But it could be that the league is just mildly good.

Snooker...is that funny or what? :)

Reactions: Deltadodger
This might be a shocking statement to make. But I would have to say that the SFL may not be as strong as we have seen in other years. You'd think it would be stronger...trading NU and Woodcreek for Grant and Whitney. But.....

Whitney is not your Whitney of two years ago....an upward rising program attracting talent from all over. Not even close.

Grant could however be great. I'd concede that. Its all about speed and execution. If they get the second part right, maybe....could be good.

Oak Ridge and Del Oro....perhaps just a little overrated. All this talk about their big tall strong quarterbacks...maybe they are okay. I'm not that impressed. Sounds like unsubstantiated press reports and, when the going gets tough, the true test will be given. Not sure if they will get good scores. The defenses look pretty good however. And the running game is certainly solid in both places.

Rocklin....I'd watch out for them. People overlook them. They might be a little better than folks give them credit for.

Granite Bay....I will concede that they should be great in fencing, tennis, badminton, swimming, diving, golf, darts, male gymnastics and snooker.

Folsom....Great but shut out by DLS. Easily whipped a not so good looking, annually overrated team from Fair Oaks or thereabouts who was without their speed guy for most of the game. Things to prove?

We shall see at the end of the season. But it could be that the league is just mildly good.

Snooker...is that funny or what? :)
The SFL is very top heavy. And I I'd agree it's not as strong as last years as a whole.

I'd lay low on the Jesuit being overrated thing for now though. They actually may be one of the top teams in the section when it's all said and done. Maybe its a down year for the section?

Folsom may have gotten shut out by DLS but go ask a DLS player or fan just how good Folsom is. Very telling. I dont think anyone comes within 2 scores of them the entire season.

Lots and lots to be played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT