ADVERTISEMENT

SFL predictions

The Oak Ridge QB (who is starting his 3rd season) has more experience than the yet to be chosen Folsom QB. Take a look at last years game (which Folsom won) to see how close he was to winning the game. No more research needs to be done. Oak Ridge QB has more Varsity game experience than any team in the SFL. That is the point!

Okay, that's two years of experience... and one year as a varsity player, I think. The score of the game you are referring to was 17-16. It was an amazing defensive show. And, as to varsity experience, take a look at the QBs at Rocklin and Granite Bay. I suspect they have as much varsity experience. And, despite their records from a year ago, could be very effective for their programs this coming year.

Okay, that's two years of experience... and one year as a varsity player, I think. The score of the game you are referring to was 17-16. It was an amazing defensive show. And, as to varsity experience, take a look at the QBs at Rocklin and Granite Bay. I suspect they have as much varsity experience. And, despite their records from a year ago, could be very effective for their programs this coming year.
I'm excited for the OR/Folsom game this year! Should be awesome sauce!

Way too much is being made about previous experience. Jake Jeffrey threw for 4000+ yards and 50 TD's the year after Jake Browning left. Then Joe Curry threw for almost 4000 yards and 50+ TD's last year. Neither had any varsity starts prior to becoming the starter in their senior season.

On the other hand, the Oak Ridge QB threw for 1800 yards and 22 TD's last year. (He rushed for almost 1000 yards).

IMO the Folsom QB(s) will perform just fine this year.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
Oak Ridge QB transferred from PG in the middle of his soph season (3-4 games left). We placed him on varsity so he could acclimate to how we do things, so essentially he did not play football on Friday nights when he got to OR his soph season. He battled last off-season and won the starting job his junior year - throwing for 1800 yards and rushing for 1000 yards. He has one full year of varsity experience under his belt going into this season. He has a very high football IQ and is consistently the fastest player on the field each Friday night. He will be supported this year with a very good returning OL, anchored by an All-State Tackle with several D1 offers and the other OT (a junior) who may be the best on the OL unit. The biggest support to the pass game is the run game. OR is the most balanced offense in SFL. The emergence of new RB will definitely make the biggest impact for OR. He is the cousin of QB (both cousins to Dano Graves), and transferred from Folsom, where he rushed for over 1000 yards last season. Since our priority to run the ball exceeds Folsom's traditional attack, he will have more opportunity.

Hard to bet against Folsom but I have a feeling Oak Ridge will be on the same level. I see a 2 team race with the rest of the pack distant. OR wasn't suppose to be good in 2016 and look what they did. They have a lot of pieces back.

On February 18, 2016, Taylor was announced as the Passing Game Coordinator, Quarterbacks coach and play caller for Eastern Washington.[9]

I read that as one season away.....not two....

DO has not been great forever. The program was solid but not nearly on the level it has risen to under Taylor......PUSD now has closed it's open boundaries, the available talent pool will lessen, plus you can't lose a coach like that and still be the same.......name me a local school that has held on after losing a great coach???
Vacaville, Central Catholic, Elk Grove, Granite Bay, Marin Catholic, California or Monte Vista?

Vacaville, Central Catholic, Elk Grove, Granite Bay, Marin Catholic, California or Monte Vista?

Only CC and GB (MC?)have risen to the height of SBG....GB fell off quite abit after Cooper retired.....CC is another story as a private built to play football......the rest solid programs but not state level convo....

Only CC and GB (MC?)have risen to the height of SBG....GB fell off quite abit after Cooper retired.....CC is another story as a private built to play football......the rest solid programs but not state level convo....
Man gave you 7 and now ya'll making excuses, they all great programs.

Ya'll right, 1 year, still Folsom goes 12-2, not really crumbling much

No one said it was crumbling. Just that there would be a noticeable decline over a few seasons. And there has been. I pointed out already that Folsom had 0 losses in section during Taylors 4 year tenure as Co-HC. They had 2 losses in section just last season -- his first removed from the program. While not 'crumbling', that is a noticeable decline from the status quo when they weren't losing at all. They're still one of the front runners to win section. However, they're just not as relevant Nationally or at State as they were during Taylor's 4 seasons. But, especially for a public school program, what they've done since 2010 is pretty amazing.

Last edited:
So, they won every game in section for 4 straight years, won a state championship in the same time....and you think there would be "slight decline." Without any coaching changes at all, wouldn't the odds be so stacked?

I don't know, they seemed to be holding up fine until Taylor left. You can't lose a coach of that caliber and not have a drop off. We have no idea how long they could have kept up the same level of play had Taylor not left, but I surely liked their chances to maintain it much, much better.

The Folsom staff is one of the best in the state regardless of Coach Taylor moving to the college ranks. In 2016,they won the SFL crown and played for the D1 section title, so they were the second best team in the section. Losing to a VERY good St. Mary's team in the section final is hardly evidence of 'falling-off'.

In 2014, the Folsom team was one of the best in the country and they placed many of those players in major college programs. IMO, that team would have beaten DLS had they played, but we will never know for sure. That 2014 was special and other than the Big Green Recruiting Machine, no local team has been close to that level. It is completely unfair to compare Folsom in 2017 to Folsom in 2014. The 2015 team was also very good and they lost to Bellarmine in the Norcal finals. I guess by your definition, Folsom started to decline in Coach Taylor's final year.

Or just maybe, those of you predicting a decline might just be jealous, Folsom-hating nut jobs.

Don't you mean G61 = TheFolsomBulldog = troll?

In any case, any section champion is a state bowl contender. And each of the those teams mentioned (plus Oak Ridge) are teams that lost coaches and remain competitive for a section title. If Del Oro can't win their league or even finish second, and is a state title contender, then each of those teams are section title contenders and therefore SBG contenders. Further proof that those teams are on the state level is that in this thread they are being cited as potential SBG contenders. But why do you get to decide which teams are in the mix on the state level? It's your opinion, not a fact.

Don't you mean G61 = TheFolsomBulldog = troll?

In any case, any section champion is a state bowl contender. And each of the those teams mentioned (plus Oak Ridge) are teams that lost coaches and remain competitive for a section title. If Del Oro can't win their league or even finish second, and is a state title contender, then each of those teams are section title contenders and therefore SBG contenders. Further proof that those teams are on the state level is that in this thread they are being cited as potential SBG contenders. But why do you get to decide which teams are in the mix on the state level? It's your opinion, not a fact.

Good points Feed.....Agreed on G61=FBD=TROLL

Understand your points very well and they are well founded. I surmise my thoughts were more based on playing in an SBG....I did state that those were very solid programs.....

Just to be clear, I do not think FBD is a troll. I don't think people should be so quick to label those that passionately disagree with our opinions to be trolls (or nut jobs, or G61). I was just helping with the math. But I do appreciate the willingness to re-consider an opinion. That seems to be sorely missing from some posters on this board.

Just to be clear, I do not think FBD is a troll. I don't think people should be so quick to label those that passionately disagree with our opinions to be trolls (or nut jobs, or G61). I was just helping with the math. But I do appreciate the willingness to re-consider an opinion. That seems to be sorely missing from some posters on this board.
Thanks Feedback. Still unsure why every time I post, the same people come on here and start calling with L74 or whatever letter and number that is. Pretty bizarre.

Oh well back to football!

Yes, you are correct. My math would indicate two different people. Your equation would make it correct. The same person.

I guess by your definition, Folsom started to decline in Coach Taylor's final year.

Exactly. I never look at a coaching change as a precursor to a "let down". Instead, I think you would very likely see some changes based on the skill sets of the new coach and those will either work or they won't. But there is no assurance that it won't work. For that reason, I see Del Oro being very good this season. And, as I look at the coaching change at Granite Bay a few years back, I would say the coach has done an excellent job but may have lacked the players to make a champion. I think Folsom will miss Coach Taylor's rate of innovation of route concepts and run plays that they were able to integrate into their offense. But that doesn't mean the continuing group will not continue to innovate. In fact, I think it would be very surprising if play innovation slowed because that is the sort of expectation which tends to get established in an organization and stay around as the way you do things - particularly if only one coach departs as in the case there. There is no way you can look at the St. Mary's loss and put that on the coaches....Folsom could simply not compete with the size and speed of St. Mary's last year. They were big and fast and well coached.

DelOro needs to figure out how to defend that Folsom passing attack before they should be considered the favorite in the SFL. I think you have to take Folsom and Oakridge as favorites....Rocklin and DelOro at the next tier although these teams could knock each other out in a game with exception DelOro hasn't match up wll against Folsom in recent years. Folsom will reload at QWB as usual and has lots back even with the talent they lost from last season. Granite Bay has alot back and wiill be interesting if they improve a level with what they have back after being pounded last season. SFL should be a fun league to watch this year. Doesn't seem like an overly strong year for the league, but I may be wrong.

Reactions: Renegade4Life
DelOro needs to figure out how to defend that Folsom passing attack before they should be considered the favorite in the SFL. I think you have to take Folsom and Oakridge as favorites....Rocklin and DelOro at the next tier although these teams could knock each other out in a game with exception DelOro hasn't match up wll against Folsom in recent years. Folsom will reload at QWB as usual and has lots back even with the talent they lost from last season. Granite Bay has alot back and wiill be interesting if they improve a level with what they have back after being pounded last season. SFL should be a fun league to watch this year. Doesn't seem like an overly strong year for the league, but I may be wrong.

Agree with your comments. Senior leadership should not be underestimated. I like OR and GB for that reason. Leadership is pretty important.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT