ADVERTISEMENT

St Joes vs St Pats

No one should doubt St. Joe's quality win on the SPSV undefeated Home turf. That's never easy.

I was there... JV game was great, too.. It looked like the Pilots were going to lose by 30+ when they fell 15 down during the 2nd Q, but they came back to squeeze out an overtime win. Set up a great varsity game... Even tho St Joe's held the lead the whole way it was never easy, and full of spectacular plays.

The game is available on YouTube, excellent feed from NorCal Sports TV.

Is st Joes pretty much a lock for open now? They really don't have a great win. I mean DLS is solid and so is St Pats but I was looking at there schedule and its pretty weak. Their league is awful.

Is st Joes pretty much a lock for open now? They really don't have a great win. I mean DLS is solid and so is St Pats but I was looking at there schedule and its pretty weak. Their league is awful.

This year with the NCS being down compared to previous years in my opinion St. Joe's is a lock. I also think that Salesian is a lock. But depending on if the CIF takes 3 or 4 teams from the NCS will really determine who would be in.

Salesain- I think will be the highest seeded NCS team- Probably a 3 seed at best.
St. Joes- I think will be 2nd higest seeded NCS team- Possibly a 4 or 5 seed.

Bubble Teams

DLS- If they win NCS D1 then they become a lock and can be seeded higher than SJND
O'Dowd- If they win NCS D2 then I think they would at least be in the conversation.
St. Pats- If they beat St. Joes in the NCS D4 Championship then I think they are in also.

St. Joes beat Modesto Christian, Serra, St. Pats (twice), De La Salle and Won Torrey Pines Tourney in So-Cal.- I think thats enough

Salesian beat Capital Christian, O'Dowd (twice), Freedom, Manteca, St. John Bosco, and St. Pats.

O'Dowd- Beat Bishop Montgomery, Crespi, and Lynwood

Reactions: observer22
My guess is that if they win the NCS d4 tournament (Certainly the favorite, but no lock), they'll get called up. They still *might* get into Open even if they get to the NCS d4 final and lose. Don't be surprised if they get to the finals and see that St. Pat's is their opponent.

I agree, their league was not much of a challenge... They blew out everybody except Bentley of Lafayette, and those games were only moderately close. Bentley should be a high seed in d5 NCS. Head-Royce should be a fairly high seed in d5, too, but St. Joe's clobbered them in both meetings.

Interestingly, Bentley was beaten twice by Head-Royce. And.. they face Head-Royce again in the first round of the league playoffs. Matchups can be a funny thing sometimes...

St. Joes beat Modesto Christian, Serra, St. Pats (twice), De La Salle and Won Torrey Pines Tourney in So-Cal.- I think thats enough

Actually, Modesto Christian was the Pilots' only loss. I was there... MC was hot from 3-point land, something like 12-24, and the Pilots couldn't hang with that.

And the Pilots beat St. Pat's three times.

Playoffs always get interesting. I still like woodcreek in the open mainly because of how well they play as a team and there ability to get after you defensively. It doesn't hurt to have Brown either. There size sets them apart as well and when you get deep into the playoffs it does help having a few 6"5-6"6 kids who can add muscle down low. Sheldon will have something to say about that of course. Personally I would like to see St Joes stay in D4 this year. They could make a strong run at a state title.

St. Joe tournament win down South locks them in for one of the top 2 teams in all of North Coast.

O'dowd needs to be taken out of any open discussion and I am sure they wouldn't
mind it at all.

Throughout the open discussion I never change my mind outside the following 6 teams:
Sheldon
Woodcreek
Salesian
St. Joe's
NCS D1 Champ [DeLaSalle]
CCS D1 Champ [Bellarmine]
End

St. Joes won the second division in Torrey Pines for perspective. Also, O'Dowd could easily have won either of their Salesian games, a little more perspective. I'm sure O'Dowd wouldn't mind staying in D2, but don't act like that don't belong in the open conversation. The only team I wouldn't pick them against is Woodcreek.

Realistically how far do you believe BOD would get in the open? Out of the first round? Semifinals? The NorCal finals? Do you believe BOD could win D2 NorCal to make the D2 State Finals?

Last edited:
Well, if they were the 7th or 8th seed, realistically I'd see them losing in the 1st round. But last year Salesian nearly upset DLS in the 1st round, so one never knows. That's why they play the games.

Obviously they would have a better chance playing against lesser teams in D2, but that school has a storied past and were the Open champs just 2years ago. I think they'd rather challenge themselves against the best in the Open rather than play in the NIT.

Reactions: nostancenochance
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT