ADVERTISEMENT

Takes on DLS vs. STA

raffidog123

Superstar
Nov 11, 2018
1. The ESPN coverage was HORRIBLE! All the announcers could talk about was the 20+ D1 players on STA. Nothing about DLS teamwork, etc. But that is typical of the ESPN approach to praise individuals over team.

2. Garrett got 187 yards in 17 carries against a great team. He is definitely the second best running back in northern/central California after Kendall Milton of Buchanan (Garrett is, I think, now better than Ngata of Folsom).

3. I don't see DLS losing to anyone on their remaining schedule until they meet MD or SJB in the State Game.

4. Teams like STA, IMG, Bishop Gorman, MD, and SJB are ruining high school football with their blatant recruiting. To put in perspective, if DLS was a true recruiting machine, the Liberty qb would be a Spartan. I mean, do you really think the 20+ STA D-1 stars live in wealthy Ft. Lauderdale, where STA is located?

Reactions: THEOC89
1. The ESPN coverage was HORRIBLE! All the announcers could talk about was the 20+ D1 players on STA. Nothing about DLS teamwork, etc. But that is typical of the ESPN approach to praise individuals over team.

2. Garrett got 187 yards in 17 carries against a great team. He is definitely the second best running back in northern/central California after Kendall Milton of Buchanan (Garrett is, I think, now better than Ngata of Folsom).

3. I don't see DLS losing to anyone on their remaining schedule until they meet MD or SJB in the State Game.

4. Teams like STA, IMG, Bishop Gorman, MD, and SJB are ruining high school football with their blatant recruiting. To put in perspective, if DLS was a true recruiting machine, the Liberty qb would be a Spartan. I mean, do you really think the 20+ STA D-1 stars live in wealthy Ft. Lauderdale, where STA is located?

Ngata’s offer sheet is way more impressive than Garrett’s.

Would the Liberty quarterback really want to play in the DLS run oriented offense instead of the pass happy Liberty offense?

I think it’s gotten to the point where DLS is going to have its hands full against nationally elite teams until they switch to a more modern offense.

Agree on the need for DLS to mix in more passing. As far as Garret goes, i think what I see is that he has improved a lot that it is hard to say ngata is better. Lets wait until end of the year to see where the offers come from for both players. Need to remember that Garret will be playing a much tougher schedule this year. Ngata won't face any really good teams other than DLS. Central Catholic, St. Francis, Buchanan are better than any team Folsom plays, except for DLS, and, of course, we know that STA is one of the top 2-3 teams in the country (which Garrett rushed for 187 yards against)..

Re: ESPN's coverage... Yes, they did talk a whole lot about STA's 20 d1-offered guys a lot, but they actually talked a good bit about DLS' program, sound execution, work ethic, coaching continuity, etc. They also had a phone interview with former DLS stud Amani Toomer and interviewed Coach Lad during the game. I didn't think the coverage was all that one-sided...

The announcers even sounded kinda "homer-ish" on that controversial late call, completely dismissing the possibility that the pass was caught then punched out by the defender (which is what I believe happened). I would have liked to have seen a closer-up replay, but after all this isn't Super Bowl coverage.

That early pass-interference call that some are calling bogus? Come on... The DB pushed the receiver out of bounds with the pass on the way. Textbook PI.

Today I learned that bumping a non-TV cameraman on the sideline during a play is a penalty... Wait, no it isn't...

You are 100% correct regarding Garret!!!... I have been saying that kid will be special this year all along, you could just see it coming from him...

He was a little small the last couple of years but has put on some bulk and is now breaking the tackles he couldn’t before... and his electric speed is world class!!!

To put up 187 on 17 carries against THAT Defense was a Big Time National Level Performance....

But what we learned last year is that the very poor competition Folsom plays does not affect the 5 star players....

I mean Nagata’s Brother was dominated last year by a no star defensive back from DLS and he is Making a Major impact at Clemson...

I agree it seems rediculous that Garret doesn’t have multiple D1 offers, But I wouldn’t necessarily rank him above Nagata... Yet...:)

I thought STA coach Roger Harriott did a great job with his teams overall preparation. I also give coach Harriott much credit and respect the way he handled the post game ESPN interview. He gave everyone their props even talked DLS up in a positive light. Coach Harriott is a great man and we need more man like him coaching our kids.

so being athletic means you cant be wealthy? Or being black you cannot be wealthy and in Fort Lauderdale. You obviously have only been to North Florida which is not Dade or Broward

Reactions: FBAddict
I thought STA coach Roger Harriott did a great job with his teams overall preparation. I also give coach Harriott much credit and respect the way he handled the post game ESPN interview. He gave everyone their props even talked DLS up in a positive light. Coach Harriott is a great man and we need more man like him coaching our kids.
interesting... cuz on the other thread about the game ole boy said Harriott couldnt coach his way outta the 4th grade pop warner playoffs

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
interesting... cuz on the other thread about the game ole boy said Harriott couldnt coach his way outta the 4th grade pop warner playoffs
I don't know anything about that thread but whomever said that should rethink their analysis in what a good football coach is and mean. Because the tree of coaching where I come from it's a lot more to coaching then being a good X's & O's guy. Coach Harriott genuinely seems to care about the well being of football and people all together. Not just his high level of skills he presents regarding X's & O's. Jmho

1. One look at the STA O&D lines vs DLS lines and I can see how they might get more attention. If #15 Wingo is the #14 ranked OLB recruit how good are the 13 ahead of him?!
2. Someone at the Power 5 will offer him based on that performance, but not better than Ngata.
3. Agreed.
4. I don't see how this ruins high school football. Two of the top teams in the country played to a 24-14 game and DLS had their opportunities. I do, however, think that those teams that can go 25 deep on their OL/DL and are in the National Top 25 should be excluded from State playoffs and be invited to a national playoff format. Team expenses paid for by the TV contract that would come with it.

Hey Raffidog, can you take a break on Folsom and their players? It's seriously painful to see yet another post that diminishes them. We know you sleep with a DLS poster over your bed but my God your negativity regarding Folsom is exhausting

Some great players at Folsom, but like other posters, I would like them to join DLS in playing very good teams. Nor Cal fans deserve the best two teams in Nor Cal testing themselves.
I totally agree with you. Folsom has a load of special players and it would be great to see them challenge themselves in the pre-season. They also had a helluva coaching staff as well. Something tells me that coach Doherty will take a different route than the last staff if he has the same success as they did. Win, lose or draw I will still give them props for challenging themselves. Wishing coach Doherty and the Bulldogs a successful 2019-2020 season together.

Hey Raffidog, can you take a break on Folsom and their players? It's seriously painful to see yet another post that diminishes them. We know you sleep with a DLS poster over your bed but my God your negativity regarding Folsom is exhausting
I agree. It has been painful to read through these threads with the same handful of posters passive aggressively bashing a Folsom team that has done so many good things.

Almost every thread seems to go back to digs on Folsom, why haven't they played anyone, etc, etc, etc. And from the same exact people. You will know exactly who they are because they will post in succession, in direct response to this post. Easy to spot.

Have you noticed there are hardly any pro Folsom people on here anymore. The mod has banned almost every one of them, while the other trolls post at will. The obsession is real. Sad it has gotten to this point.

I hope, as a new poster, I am banned, just to prove my point.

And to be upfront- I am a Folsom poster and WILL post positive things about the school and program. If you don't like that, I suggest you lobby the mod for a ban.

They are playing DLS in week 3, who just took the #1 team in the country the distance. What else do you want?
So in your opinion, all Folsom has to do in order to gain respect in the pre-season is schedule DLS over and over and over again? Even if they could beat DLS, scheduling them just for "kicks & giggles" shouldn't be glorified, it should be scrutinized. Also, the pre-season bench mark for such a power like Folsom should be higher. Scheduling teams ranked 150 and higher in the state is mind boggling. Scheduling teams no higher than 75 in your State should be the standard for a perennial power like Folsom. With that said, I believe coach Doherty will be a solid coach for Folsom and I also believe he'll change the past negative pre-season scheduling perception as well. And btw, I respect Folsom football, I just hate the soft padding of their past and previous pre-season schedule. Have a great season and wishing the Bulldogs nothing but more success in 2019-2020!

I agree. It has been painful to read through these threads with the same handful of posters passive aggressively bashing a Folsom team that has done so many good things.

Almost every thread seems to go back to digs on Folsom, why haven't they played anyone, etc, etc, etc. And from the same exact people. You will know exactly who they are because they will post in succession, in direct response to this post. Easy to spot.

Have you noticed there are hardly any pro Folsom people on here anymore. The mod has banned almost every one of them, while the other trolls post at will. The obsession is real. Sad it has gotten to this point.

I hope, as a new poster, I am banned, just to prove my point.

And to be upfront- I am a Folsom poster and WILL post positive things about the school and program. If you don't like that, I suggest you lobby the mod for a ban.

Who besides G61 from Folsom has been banned ?

I totally agree with numbers 2 & 3 and I think you picked a bad example for #4. Why would any quarterback with D1 skills and aspirations want to run the veer at DLS? Speaking of that, whenever anyone complains that DLS doesn't pass enough remember who's playing QB. Hale is an outstanding athlete but his passing accuracy is suspect at best.

Lots of impressive talent on both sides the one I was most impressed with was STA starting left guard #75. He's by far the best, most polished sophomore offensive lineman I've ever seen. Who has 21 offers(big power 5 offers)their sophomore year?

Last edited:
So in your opinion, all Folsom has to do in order to gain respect in the pre-season is schedule DLS over and over and over again?
I was just using an example for this season, as well as last. And it should be noted that the very last thing that Folsom is trying to do is "earn respect." If you can't respect what they have done so far, then there is something very wrong.

Good questions though- keep em coming!

They are playing DLS in week 3, who just took the #1 team in the country the distance. What else do you want?

To do what St. Mary's did and Schedule PITT, Mission Viejo and DLS which is what St. Mary's did this year....

That being said, can we keep the Folsom Discussions to the Folsom Threads?... Debating whether Garret's Performance against STA is better then anything Nagata has accomplished so far is fine, But most of us would prefer to read posts about the DLS vs STA game on this thread... :)

That was me who said that I was not Impressed by STA's coaching, but I did not say that the coach "Couldn't Coach his way out of the 4th Grade Pop Warner Playoffs."....

I said I thought the Play Calling was predictable and STA was not taking advantage of the HUGH mismatch STA had in the middle of the Field with DLS's undersized LB's.... And if they did so they could have buried DLS... Instead DLS was in the game until the Ref's put it away for STA with that terrible Fumble call with 4 min left in the 4th quarter...

I am sure he is a great coach and an even better person, but in person his team looked undisciplined and like they were winning based on talent and not coaching...

Harriott has been at STA since 2014 I think and his only State Title is 2015 and he annually has the most Talented Team in his playoff division but loses to the Public Schools in the Playoffs... Also he was Shut out 12-0 By AZ Centennial in 2017 in another game where the talent gap was just incredible...

When you have that Big of a Talent Advantage as STA had over DLS you should Smoke them like SJB and MD have done the last 3 years... That is on the Coaching, so Yes, I was not at all Impressed by STA's Coaching...

OC89 I can't agree more. That game shouldn't have even been close but kudos to the Spartans for hanging in there until the end.

Reactions: THEOC89
OC89 I can't agree more. That game shouldn't have even been close but kudos to the Spartans for hanging in there until the end.

Forsure!!!... I was super Impressed with The Spartans, They are so tough and have so much Heart!!!.... STA did not out physical DLS in that game even with the huge size and talent advantage... They had opportunities to take control of that game but just couldn't take advantage of them!

Reactions: aztecpadre
Forsure!!!... I was super Impressed with The Spartans, They are so tough and have so much Heart!!!.... STA did not out physical DLS in that game even with the huge size and talent advantage... They had opportunities to take control of that game but just couldn't take advantage of them!

Before the game I predicted lots of penalties from STA and even though I was right, they weren't the unsportsmanlike variety from dirty play that I expected from a talented team from that area.

The elephant in the Room is the DLS coaching leaves a lot to be desired.12 men on multiple occasions,Hale didn’t look like he improved at all.Multiple movement penalties on the OL.The execution was shoddy....This isn’t the first year we’ve seen this either

The elephant in the Room is the DLS coaching leaves a lot to be desired.12 men on multiple occasions,Hale didn’t look like he improved at all.Multiple movement penalties on the OL.The execution was shoddy....This isn’t the first year we’ve seen this either

That's hard to argue Ararar. In all fairness four of the OL movement penalties were from the same player who was extremely challenged based on the guy he had to block. I find it hard to blame that one on coaches. Illegal substitutions is squarely on the staff IMO.

That's hard to argue Ararar. In all fairness four of the OL movement penalties were from the same player who was extremely challenged based on the guy he had to block. I find it hard to blame that one on coaches. Illegal substitutions is squarely on the staff IMO.
With the talent on STA D-Line I’d say every kid on the O-Line had a challenge.How many kids get 4 infractions and don’t get replaced...even for a series or two.Im just questioning if Alumbaugh is the right dude or not

With the talent on STA D-Line I’d say every kid on the O-Line had a challenge.How many kids get 4 infractions and don’t get replaced...even for a series or two.Im just questioning if Alumbaugh is the right dude or not

Fair enough

They have run the veer successfully forever. I credit Alumbaugh for recognizing they needed to do something different on offense in last year's state championship game. It's one thing to be a stud athlete at QB, it's an entirely different thing to process the passing game and multiple reads as a QB. The issue is that you can't just go part way there. You have to go full in and I don't think that DLS is staffed for a complete offensive overhaul.

Reactions: remc and THEOC89
They have run the veer successfully forever. I credit Alumbaugh for recognizing they needed to do something different on offense in last year's state championship game. It's one thing to be a stud athlete at QB, it's an entirely different thing to process the passing game and multiple reads as a QB. The issue is that you can't just go part way there. You have to go full in and I don't think that DLS is staffed for a complete offensive overhaul.
The poor kid didn’t look like he learned/improved any from last year.Either that’s the kids fault or the coaching staffs.The only reason Alumbaugh did something different in the open game was because he was severely out maned so it was obvious he had to.
I agree they are not staffed for what they need to do so is that the administrations fault or the head coaches?
I just see what seems like a lack of attention to detail over a period of years now....it concerns me since details is what DLS is known for

The poor kid didn’t look like he learned/improved any from last year.Either that’s the kids fault or the coaching staffs.The only reason Alumbaugh did something different in the open game was because he was severely out maned so it was obvious he had to.
I agree they are not staffed for what they need to do so is that the administrations fault or the head coaches?
I just see what seems like a lack of attention to detail over a period of years now....it concerns me since details is what DLS is known for

By “not staffed”, are you guys saying they don’t have the personnel, or that they don’t have enough or the proper coaches?

So there is a plan on paper that looks great and there is reality. Reality is that Alumbaugh is following a legend and it’s probably very difficult to make wholesale changes to a very successful model. Given how their defense plays I would say the attention to detail still exists.

So there is a plan on paper that looks great and there is reality. Reality is that Alumbaugh is following a legend and it’s probably very difficult to make wholesale changes to a very successful model. Given how their defense plays I would say the attention to detail still exists.

Ok ....so who’s fault is it that only one side of the ball pays attention to detail? Because the offensive execution of the veer hasn’t been very good either.Penalties and turnovers along with missed assignments have stood out like a sore thumb in recent years.
Do you believe Alumbaugh is the right coach for DLS? I’m starting to wonder after what I’ve seen the last 3 years

I think dls should bring in the top talent in the Bay Area if possible. We know dls doesn’t have the most talented teams but when a out of state beats dls they believe they beat the most talented team and players nor cal has to offer. I’d love to see a loaded dls team like mater dei and bosco represent nor cal. Folsom might be our most talented team this year. If they pull off the upset we’d get our most talented team vs so cals

I think dls should bring in the top talent in the Bay Area if possible. We know dls doesn’t have the most talented teams but when a out of state beats dls they believe they beat the most talented team and players nor cal has to offer. I’d love to see a loaded dls team like mater dei and bosco represent nor cal. Folsom might be our most talented team this year. If they pull off the upset we’d get our most talented team vs so cals

I would rather see just the opposite, discourage transferring and guys play football at the school they are zoned to attend. That's the thing I love most about high school football. A handful of studs playing both ways because there aren't 22 studs on any one team.

Ararar regarding why Alumbaugh didn't remove the left tackle my take is this. I'm normally a fan of removing a player with multiple penalties but I think it matters what type of penalties they are getting. If he were getting multiple holding or unsportsmanlike penalties that's one thing. He was so seriously outmanned by Wingo it wasn't even funny. If you take him out you further risk Hale's health at quarterback because logic says the lineman's backup isn't as talented. I thought the DLS offensive line actually did a pretty good job. In all fairness my attention was mostly on Ben Roe on both sides of the ball. I thought Ben did a really nice job on offense and did really well against Sapp. With all this said the left tackle was by far the most challenged because Wingo is such a stud. Mark my words the left tackle will be fine all year until the state championship game.

Ok ....so who’s fault is it that only one side of the ball pays attention to detail? Because the offensive execution of the veer hasn’t been very good either.Penalties and turnovers along with missed assignments have stood out like a sore thumb in recent years.
Do you believe Alumbaugh is the right coach for DLS? I’m starting to wonder after what I’ve seen the last 3 years
It's probably not fair to say the execution hasn't been very good after one game against a team that had the size of a D1 College team. The run game was not an issue for DLS. Pass pro was tough against a guy that looked like he could contribute at the college level today. The reason you schedule those games is so your team is better prepared to take on similar teams at a later date. At the end of the day, SJB and MD have better passing games, so you are going to have to use the QB's athleticism to have a chance. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Ararar regarding why Alumbaugh didn't remove the left tackle my take is this. I'm normally a fan of removing a player with multiple penalties but I think it matters what type of penalties they are getting. If he were getting multiple holding or unsportsmanlike penalties that's one thing. He was so seriously outmanned by Wingo it wasn't even funny. If you take him out you further risk Hale's health at quarterback because logic says the lineman's backup isn't as talented. I thought the DLS offensive line actually did a pretty good job. In all fairness my attention was mostly on Ben Roe on both sides of the ball. I thought Ben did a really nice job on offense and did really well against Sapp. With all this said the left tackle was by far the most challenged because Wingo is such a stud. Mark my words the left tackle will be fine all year until the state championship game.
I would rather see just the opposite, discourage transferring and guys play football at the school they are zoned to attend. That's the thing I love most about high school football. A handful of studs playing both ways because there aren't 22 studs on any one team.

It’s a private school if you’re gonna be a top private school and play the best teams might as well load the roster

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT