ADVERTISEMENT

The Future of the SFL: Who Will Dominate?

The record over the past 30 years of a high school is almost meaningless when it comes to predicting the future. Demographics can change pretty dramatically over the course of a decade, or even just a few years if a district changes transfer policies, enrollment boundaries, or opens a new school. Not saying Grant will or will not be the team to beat in the SFL moving forward, just saying that looking at the history of any of those schools won't give us any meaningful info.

The fact that grant has changed their outdated offense will help...it's easy to use a 5 year span when trying to make a point but outside of Folsom and Del oro what other team won a section title in that same span? Grant is different than any team in the sfl the delta league usually has better athletes Folsom struggled when they had to play those delta teams weekly there's no team in the sfl that is more proven than grant it's been over 30 years of playing at a high level you can't name another team in the sfl that can say that

Reactions: feedback1
And correct me if I'm wrong but since you are going off a 3 year span they only played rocklin and granite bay twice and went 2-2...but it's about match ups sac high hasn't won d2 section title but some how they can match up and beat Folsom...football is about match ups. Do some research on Folsom and look how Folsom struggled with those delta league teams

In the time span that I listed above, Grant played these SFL teams:
2017: Rocklin (loss)
2016: Rocklin (win)
2015: Granite Bay (loss)
2014: Folsom (loss)
2013: NU (win), Oak Ridge (loss), Del Oro (loss)
That is a 3-5 record, or 2-5 if you exclude NU which will not be in the SFL in 2018.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
That is a 3-5 record, or 2-5 if you exclude NU which will not be in the SFL in 2018.
Future this isn't lookin good. And that's with not having to play SFL teams every week in league. No weeks off like Grant is used to in their wral league. Big boy time!

Interesting. Exposed meaning 2 state titles from DO and 1 from Folsom in the last 3 years?

Your bar is awfully high. Some leagues in NorCal have never won a state title. Ever.

A few years ago, there was a lot of barking about SJS teams beating De la Salle. After a few good ole fashion @$$ Whoopings we gave up....

It's crickets.

Folsom, GB, and DO didnt have the athletes and Grant couldn't even beat Rocklin with arguably the most talented roster in SJS history.

[QUOTE="TheFolsomBulldog,

And good public school league? It is THE #1 ranked league in NorCal per cal preps. What an awful league with mediocre teams lol[/QUOTE]

How can it be #1 and have mediorce teams. You have stated Rocklin, WC, NU are mediorce.....you must mean Folsom is the best of a weak league.....better go try the Delta where you had more success???

Do some research on Folsom and look how Folsom struggled with those delta league teams

No problem:
2017: Jesuit (w)
2016: Jesuit (w), PG (w), Sheldon (w), Elk Grove (w)
2015: PG (w), Franklin (w), EG (w)
2014: PG (w), Franklin (w), MT (w), Grant (w)
2013: MT (w), Franklin (w) (vs. the Delta Valley as Folsom was in the Delta River in 2013)
2013: Jesuit (w), Sheldon (w), PG (w), Jesuit (w) (vs. future member of the Delta)

All told, Folsom is 18-0 vs the Delta in that same span. But hey, don't let facts interfere with your pre-conceived opinions.

Reactions: ILOVETROJANFOOTBALL

Pretty sure they played granite bay last year too
12-13 were young years for grant that's why they won sections in 2014 every 4 years they'll win 2018 they'll be due for 1

No problem:
2017: Jesuit (w)
2016: Jesuit (w), PG (w), Sheldon (w), Elk Grove (w)
2015: PG (w), Franklin (w), EG (w)
2014: PG (w), Franklin (w), MT (w), Grant (w)
2013: MT (w), Franklin (w) (vs. the Delta Valley as Folsom was in the Delta River in 2013)
2013: Jesuit (w), Sheldon (w), PG (w), Jesuit (w) (vs. future member of the Delta)

All told, Folsom is 18-0 vs the Delta in that same span. But hey, don't let facts interfere with your pre-conceived opinions.

Those are after they years they started poaching sac for talent I was referring to the years before then when they actually were in the same league

A few years ago, there was a lot of barking about SJS teams beating De la Salle. After a few good ole fashion @$$ Whoopings we gave up....

It's crickets.

Folsom, GB, and DO didnt have the athletes and Grant couldn't even beat Rocklin with arguably the most talented roster in SJS history.
I'm struggling to find the connection between having the strongest league in NorCal and DLS? I'm confused.....

It's funny when you only want to go back 4 years to determine a teams consistency...why not go back 10...nobody said 30 years ago...why not bring up the matches they each team has played since 2000 or 2005 or 2010... why only gonna baxk to the favorable years? Last time I checked the sfl is a great league because what the teams did past 4 years ago right? If that's not the case then it's only two teams that's relevant from that league as of rightnow

[QUOTE="TheFolsomBulldog,

And good public school league? It is THE #1 ranked league in NorCal per cal preps. What an awful league with mediocre teams lol

The uppper half of the league is awesome. Lower is mediocre to include Rocklin. Although SFL mediocre is elite for teams in the sticks that play in the NBL.

It's funny when you only want to go back 4 years to determine a teams consistency...why not go back 10...nobody said 30 years ago...why not bring up the matches they each team has played since 2000 or 2005 or 2010... why only gonna baxk to the favorable years? Last time I checked the sfl is a great league because what the teams did past 4 years ago right? If that's not the case then it's only two teams that's relevant from that league as of rightnow
The world is what have you done for my lately. Not 20 years ago before all the families with money moved east.

The world is what have you done for my lately. Not 20 years ago before all the families with money moved east.

Let me guess you only go back as far as 2010 huh lol y'all welcome the most yall ever got talked about was for beating grant Folsom and rocklin...2010 section game would've been a lot like the first game if grant was healthy...but hey can't wait to see this new look Folsom team

Let me guess you only go back as far as 2010 huh lol y'all welcome the most yall ever got talked about was for beating grant Folsom and rocklin...2010 section game would've been a lot like the first game if grant was healthy...but hey can't wait to see this new look Folsom team
Aw the whole "if we were healthy" argument. Creative yet convincing. I like it!

Maybe 20 years ago. But nobody is changes addresses to attend Grant anymore lol
You are correct, people from the burbs are not flocking to the Heights to play for Grant. They never have. The only one I know of was the QB from N.U. in 1996, and that is not the burbs......and I don't blame him. He was a passer but was shackled by the wing tee where he might get to throw 10 passes a game, and mostly play action to back out of the backfield, or ocaisionly to the TE on the waggle. The demographics in the Heights have been stable for over 55-60 years when many people from the south came to work at McClellan. The only demographic change that has taken place is the influx of Pacific Islanders, and from what I understand most of them live in Foothill Farms, North Highlands, and Rio Linda, but have chosen to attend Grant. Not a bad problem for Grant Football!! The Twin Rivers School District appears to have open enrollment and they encourage transfers to Grant. Now, all that Grant needs to dominate the SFL is the right coach, and that's a big order.

I'm struggling to find the connection between having the strongest league in NorCal and DLS? I'm confused.....

I don't see the point of boasting about having the "strongest league in norcal", if the teams in that league can't beat or compete with De la Salle; the "strongest team"....

Sure, 4 teams have won State Bowl Games in the last 10 years, thats awesome! And commendable.... I get that

But the Fresno, Southern, Pac-5, and San Diego sections have all fielded teams that have beaten De la Salle. I mean public schools from both Washington state and Utah have beaten the Spartans...

Why not the SJS?

Claiming to be the strongest league in NorCal means nothing when there is a team that has won 155 plus games in a row...

I don't see the point of boasting about having the "strongest league in norcal", if the teams in that league can't beat or compete with De la Salle; the "strongest team"....

Sure, 4 teams have won State Bowl Games in the last 10 years, thats awesome! And commendable.... I get that

But the Fresno, Southern, Pac-5, and San Diego sections have all fielded teams that have beaten De la Salle. I mean public schools from both Washington state and Utah have beaten the Spartans...

Why not the SJS?

Claiming to be the strongest league in NorCal means nothing when there is a team that has won 155 plus games in a row...
I am not claiming anything. This is Calpreps rankings. They use advanced metrics. Has nothing to do with me. This is fact. And it is a good, verified source. I didn't make the rankings lol

Not after CC siphons all the talent from Folsom. LMAO
In another section, this would be the case. But not in the SJS. CC may siphon off a few people from Rancho and that area. But there is not a large enough group of people willing to pay tuition AND drive all the way to CC from the foothills, where most of these athletes reside. Sure, they may pick up a few from Sac and Rancho, but how much damage will they really do? Win a D4 or D5 section title....sure!

In another section, this would be the case. But not in the SJS. CC may siphon off a few people from Rancho and that area. But there is not a large enough group of people willing to pay tuition AND drive all the way to CC from the foothills, where most of these athletes reside. Sure, they may pick up a few from Sac and Rancho, but how much damage will they really do? Win a D4 or D5 section title....sure!

Spot on. Its really an imposition when you've driven all the way from Sparks (in the foothills) to have to travel that additional 8 miles along Hwy 50 to get to the Bradshaw exit - even if they've waived your tuition!

Spot on. Its really an imposition when you've driven all the way from Sparks (in the foothills) to have to travel that additional 8 miles along Hwy 50 to get to the Bradshaw exit - even if they've waived your tuition!
And Bradshaw area? Ouch....I get scared around that place. Little RoseRancho

Is this you finally admitting the areas where Folsom gets its athletes? Sounds like you not worried about talent sharing cause cc division they play in it'll suck if for state they'll get to play up to d1 or open

The real question is did their freshman team look like their varsity team this year 2 years ago..if not they'll find some kids in a different district to get..them it'll be ok to enroll at Folsom right?

Two years ago their current freshman were the best team in the league (same last year), which includes all the SFL teams minus NU, Whitney, Placer & Lincoln. The only team that they struggled with at all was Antelope I hear, who I was told had kids playing down and were eventually asked to leave the league after only two years in the junior league.

Folsom is an attractive option for high school players and it appears Folsom is adept at getting new players into their high school program who didn't play in their junior program so I expect next year as a JV squad they will be strong again

Is this you finally admitting the areas where Folsom gets its athletes? Sounds like you not worried about talent sharing cause cc division they play in it'll suck if for state they'll get to play up to d1 or open
I am not worried about any school in Rosemont/RanchoMento

Two years ago their current freshman were the best team in the league (same last year), which includes all the SFL teams minus NU, Whitney, & Lincoln. The only team that they struggled with at all was Antelope I hear, who I was told had kids playing down and were eventually asked to leave the league after only two years in the junior league.

Folsom is an attractive option for high school players and it appears Folsom is adept at getting new players into their high school program who didn't play in their junior program so I expect next year as a JV squad they will be strong again
I mean, who wouldn't want to play here. Coaches, fans, great town. Great culture. Same if not better facilities as the privates, without the tuition.

Reactions: future10

It's crickets.

I watched two of the DO v De La Salle games and it wasn't even close. I will say though that the last time DO played De La Salle, it transformed that team on their way to a state title. They played hard all game, even when it was obvious DLS was a level better.

Huge for them to schedule schools like DLS, Timpview, Cathedral Catholic, Helix, Punaohu, Vista Murrieta, etc over the past few years.

Public schools like GB, DO, and Rocklin will likely never be at that level, which is fine and to be expected.

Last edited:
I am not claiming anything. This is Calpreps rankings. They use advanced metrics. Has nothing to do with me. This is fact. And it is a good, verified source. I didn't make the rankings lol

Ok so Cal Preps has it as the toughest league...
It doesnt change the fact that the teams in the toughest league in Nor Cal can't compete with the best team in NorCal...

I

Ok so Cal Preps has it as the toughest league...
It doesnt change the fact that the teams in the toughest league in Nor Cal can't compete with the best team in NorCal...

I
Still doesn't change the fact that it's the best league in NorCal and that bothers you. Not one private in the league. Ouch.

I watched two of the DO v De La Salle games and it wasn't even close. I will say though that the last time DO played De La Salle, it transformed that team on their way to a state title. They played hard all game, even when it was obvious DLS was a level better.

Huge for them to schedule schools like DLS, Timpview, Cathedral Catholic, Punaohu, Vista Murrieta, etc over the past few years.

Public schools like GB, DO, and Rocklin will likely never be at that level, which is fine and to be expected.

Indeed... DO plays a very challenging schedule and they get an accurate assessment of how good they are. Folsom does not...

My point is dont boast about how great your team is when they dont play the best competition. Theres another level of competition out there. Del Oro has experienced it. Which I think is why coach Taylor took on the challenge of going private. He saw an opportunity to build a program with the private priveleges....

Folsom has had a great 10 year run. If Del Oro and St. Mary's can schedule top tier teams, Folsom should be able to as well.

Indeed... DO plays a very challenging schedule and they get an accurate assessment of how good they are. Folsom does not...

My point is dont boast about how great your team is when they dont play the best competition. Theres another level of competition out there. Del Oro has experienced it. Which I think is why coach Taylor took on the challenge of going private. He saw an opportunity to build a program with the private priveleges....

Folsom has had a great 10 year run. If Del Oro and St. Mary's can schedule top tier teams, Folsom should be able to as well.
Who should they schedule? Private powers? There's no public schools on their level in NorCal currently. There's not a lot of fish in the sea. The WCAL sucks and DLS is the lone private worth a lick right now.

7 year run 10 years ago you couldn't find a Folsom fan...they beat grant in 2010 to get into the scene before that they were losing to these same sfl and delta teams that the currently run over BECAUSE OF THEIR PRIVATE SCHOOL WAYS everybody in Sacramento knows Folsom is full of non Folsom kids...that's why cc will be a big threat for them they are already pulling kids away from folsoms program

7 year run 10 years ago you couldn't find a Folsom fan...they beat grant in 2010 to get into the scene before that they were losing to these same sfl and delta teams that the currently run over BECAUSE OF THEIR PRIVATE SCHOOL WAYS everybody in Sacramento knows Folsom is full of non Folsom kids...that's why cc will be a big threat for them they are already pulling kids away from folsoms program
Lol no Rosemont school private or public is shining our boots. Let's be real here. Grant is a 4th place team in the SFL. Sac teams don't know the grind of the SFL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT