ADVERTISEMENT

The Future of the SFL: Who Will Dominate?

I think a school like Grant decline over the next decade. Times change and so do demographics. Did anybody predict the fall off that NU had? Years ago they were a power. But that area doesn't support a lot of families and the school suffered. You have to have population. Inderkum is already better than Grant and its a much better school. I don't see the glory days of GU ahead. Football is also becoming a wealthy sport in terms of programs with money and resources are now the top dogs. The Granite Bay's, Folsom, Oak Ridges are going to be good for a long time. The schools in Elk Grove will continue to prosper. Their program has some cannibalization of athletes. Too many schools so the talent gets spread thin. Think back of the old Elk Grove HS teams when it was the only game in town.

I could see St Mary's of Stockton becoming a power as well. Stockton has a lot of diversity. You have african americans, islanders, hispanics, whites, etc. Stockton got a lot of folks from Oakland over the last 15 years. St Mary's has facilities and great support. They will continue to take it up a notch.

Declining? How many years does it take to decline? It’s been 30 years and it’s still the same income doesn’t change that much houses are going up if you can’t afford to live in Elk Grove or north natomas chances are you live around grant. Inderkum is better? Since when? When has inderkum ever won a section title? Have you seen their league? Some of inderkum best players in their history are grant players don’t get me wrong inderkum is good but no kid in north sac is choosing inderkum over grant for football there’s a different expectation level think about it people want coach al fired for the same reason others praise inderkum for

Reactions: JoeMixon
I
Yeah, 2 losses in a season (2nd was to another "regular" team that featured another 1st rd. NFL draft pick) and a 4pt. loss in the section finals is an early exit.
But everyone knows that team featured kids from Rancho, Rosemont, Bella Vista, Bakersfield...hell they even had kids that played youth football in IN and NY!!
think I caught up to you shaq was hurt a lot that year they had 5 starters out that year it’s why they lost to Lincoln by so much they lost to bethel in the play offs because shaq tried to play hurt and maybe hurt his team more than helping them as he tried to play qb with 1 leg

Lol ask bulldogmgc who's better this year. He will tell you. Not a knock on them at all. Great program and a great private power. Pretty amazing that were better than most privates.
As of this current time of the season, I will admit Folsom has a better team than St. Mary's of Stockton. But, there is a reason this is the case and it was exposed in it's loss to Central Catholic and the recent games played against Cardinal Newman and Cosumnes Oaks ... the St. Mary's Rams do NOT have an elite QB it had the last 2 seasons and an elite QB they had to start this season. Had the up and coming stud sophomore Noah May not gotten injured in their game vs Serra in the 3rd quarter, the Rams offense would be as balanced as the last 2 seasons, but maybe not as much as last season. Yet, they would have "still" been better than Folsom, and it wouldn't even be close, just like last year when the Rams beat up the Bulldogs from Folsom pretty bad. Go even a season back and the Rams nearly pulled off the upset with a much younger team. Had the Rams TD been called a TD instead of a fumble at the Folsom 1 yard line, it would have been a different game. That play changed the momentum and lit a fire for the Bulldogs to march down the field and take control of the game. Both teams were unstoppable that season. But, just when the Rams were about to put the game away, the wheels fell off the bus and Folsom made some great plays down the stretch to win it. Hats off.

As far as exposure. Yes, the Rams without Noah May are certainly exposed "right now" to be a one-dimensional team on offense. Just stop Frampton and the running game, and you stop the Rams. Mater Dei should have no problem with that this Saturday. No team, yet, has rushed more than 80 yards vs the Monarchs, including Bishop Gorman, who annihilated DLS last week. Last year, when St. Mary's played SJB, the game was close in the beginning. In fact, the Rams had the lead, made the early stop and the Rams stud RB, Dusty Frampton, could not be stopped by SJB with huge runs coming out of the backfield. As soon as he got hurt, the wheels fell off the bus, as the Rams became exposed to being a one-dimensional team in "having to" throw the ball. SJB took advantage, got a couple of picks, a blocked punt, and next thing you know, it's a blowout. Likewise, St. Mary's was in cruise control when they played Cathedral Catholic in the state championship last year. They were winning big and it could have been even a bigger margin, until Frampton went down and once again, the Rams were left to being a one-dimensional team throwing the ball. Still, they came back from briefly falling behind and still had a chance to win in OT. However, NO Frampton meant no running game, and the Rams struggled to score in OT, yet were able to stop Cathedral, as well. But, they were on the short end of the stick when it came to the coin flip as to who was on offense first, and Cathedral kicks the FG and wins.

One-dimension offense only gets you so far. Sure, there are exceptions like DLS and other teams who focus solely on the ground game. And that's fine when indeed it is your focus and you perfect it. But, if you have a designed balanced offense and then remove one side of it, it is not as easy to win against "good" teams, especially when you have a ton of turnovers. Had Noah May gone out earlier in their game vs Serra, I honestly believe it would have been a closer game. The Rams have a ton of potential in their speedy WR's. But, if you can't get them the ball, it means diddly squat! The Rams still have a very good defense, too. Folsom may be better at this very moment. But, if the Rams can some how find balance in their offense and Aponte can pass the ball better than he currently is (and there is hope), come playoffs, I wouldn't necessarily say the other teams in the SJS playoffs are going to be better than St. Mary's. Folsom struggled with Sacramento "again". Why? Match-ups, athletes vs athletes. The Rams still have athletes, especially on defense. Right now, Folsom is better suited to utilize their athletes, while St. Mary's is transitioning to finding a new offense without Noah May. Just imagine what Folsom would have been like if it didn't have Jake Browning or anyone else in the wings to back him up. Because St. Mary's is a private school with a much smaller enrollment, if a key player goes down, it doesn't necessarily mean there is much depth to cover. Same could be said for Central Catholic. Take away their stud RB Booker, and they would not be the same team. I believe Manteca has the balanced offense it needs to beat Central Catholic this week, and I might just pick Manteca over Central Catholic for that reason. Why did Manteca beat St. Francis? Did St. Francis throw the ball? Does Central Catholic throw the ball?

St. Mary's is not exposed specifically by SJB or Mater Dei. They haven't even played Mater Dei. They are exposed by themselves in an effort to try and fill a void. Plain and simple. Not saying had Noah May been healthy they would compete with Mater Dei this year. But, I will say I would not expect it to be as much a blow out as it is going to be without him. The Rams would definitely have a better chance. Frampton is good, very good. He does not have the same line he had last year, but the line is still solid. They are not as big and not as strong, but they do enough to open the holes for him to get his yards. However, it will be a total mismatch vs Mater Dei. Frampton will be lucky to get 50 yards total in this game. However, even against Central Catholic, Frampton was averaging nearly 10 yards a carry with only a dozen or so carries. Having lost May, the Rams were trying to immerse Aponte at QB throwing the ball, since they did not do as much against Cardinal Newman. Obviously, he wasn't quite ready and the continued turnovers did not help. I don't see the Rams going gung ho trying to throw against Mater Dei, either. They certainly did not put up big yards via the air vs Cosumnes Oaks. But, I do anticipate they will try more during league play when the competition is not expected to be as strong to get more passing play experience for Aponte. We'll see. Right now, I think they may be focusing in trying to strengthen their running game and stick to it, since it works.

St. Mary's has always been a consistent power in football. It has had its down years (like any school), but always makes the playoffs even in its down years. Just look at their overall record for the last 10-15 years. And it's not just football. Historically, the Rams have had a very good boys basketball program and recently a very strong baseball program, too. But, they are probably most notable for their girls basketball program which has more state championships than Folsom has combined in all of their sports programs and the Lady Rams have been a national powerhouse (not just state). This year is not expected to be any different for the Lady Rams who have one of the best if not the best post players in the country (recently helped the USA girls under 18 3-on-3 basketball team win GOLD in China), in 6'2" Aquira Decosta. I bet anyone she would beat TheFolsomBulldog in a game of 1-on-1 and it wouldn't even be close. LOL!

Happy with my "lengthy" response? LOL!

As of this current time of the season, I will admit Folsom has a better team than St. Mary's of Stockton. But, there is a reason this is the case and it was exposed in it's loss to Central Catholic and the recent games played against Cardinal Newman and Cosumnes Oaks ... the St. Mary's Rams do NOT have an elite QB it had the last 2 seasons and an elite QB they had to start this season. Had the up and coming stud sophomore Noah May not gotten injured in their game vs Serra in the 3rd quarter, the Rams offense would be as balanced as the last 2 seasons, but maybe not as much as last season. Yet, they would have "still" been better than Folsom, and it wouldn't even be close, just like last year when the Rams beat up the Bulldogs from Folsom pretty bad. Go even a season back and the Rams nearly pulled off the upset with a much younger team. Had the Rams TD been called a TD instead of a fumble at the Folsom 1 yard line, it would have been a different game. That play changed the momentum and lit a fire for the Bulldogs to march down the field and take control of the game. Both teams were unstoppable that season. But, just when the Rams were about to put the game away, the wheels fell off the bus and Folsom made some great plays down the stretch to win it. Hats off.

As far as exposure. Yes, the Rams without Noah May are certainly exposed "right now" to be a one-dimensional team on offense. Just stop Frampton and the running game, and you stop the Rams. Mater Dei should have no problem with that this Saturday. No team, yet, has rushed more than 80 yards vs the Monarchs, including Bishop Gorman, who annihilated DLS last week. Last year, when St. Mary's played SJB, the game was close in the beginning. In fact, the Rams had the lead, made the early stop and the Rams stud RB, Dusty Frampton, could not be stopped by SJB with huge runs coming out of the backfield. As soon as he got hurt, the wheels fell off the bus, as the Rams became exposed to being a one-dimensional team in "having to" throw the ball. SJB took advantage, got a couple of picks, a blocked punt, and next thing you know, it's a blowout. Likewise, St. Mary's was in cruise control when they played Cathedral Catholic in the state championship last year. They were winning big and it could have been even a bigger margin, until Frampton went down and once again, the Rams were left to being a one-dimensional team throwing the ball. Still, they came back from briefly falling behind and still had a chance to win in OT. However, NO Frampton meant no running game, and the Rams struggled to score in OT, yet were able to stop Cathedral, as well. But, they were on the short end of the stick when it came to the coin flip as to who was on offense first, and Cathedral kicks the FG and wins.

One-dimension offense only gets you so far. Sure, there are exceptions like DLS and other teams who focus solely on the ground game. And that's fine when indeed it is your focus and you perfect it. But, if you have a designed balanced offense and then remove one side of it, it is not as easy to win against "good" teams, especially when you have a ton of turnovers. Had Noah May gone out earlier in their game vs Serra, I honestly believe it would have been a closer game. The Rams have a ton of potential in their speedy WR's. But, if you can't get them the ball, it means diddly squat! The Rams still have a very good defense, too. Folsom may be better at this very moment. But, if the Rams can some how find balance in their offense and Aponte can pass the ball better than he currently is (and there is hope), come playoffs, I wouldn't necessarily say the other teams in the SJS playoffs are going to be better than St. Mary's. Folsom struggled with Sacramento "again". Why? Match-ups, athletes vs athletes. The Rams still have athletes, especially on defense. Right now, Folsom is better suited to utilize their athletes, while St. Mary's is transitioning to finding a new offense without Noah May. Just imagine what Folsom would have been like if it didn't have Jake Browning or anyone else in the wings to back him up. Because St. Mary's is a private school with a much smaller enrollment, if a key player goes down, it doesn't necessarily mean there is much depth to cover. Same could be said for Central Catholic. Take away their stud RB Booker, and they would not be the same team. I believe Manteca has the balanced offense it needs to beat Central Catholic this week, and I might just pick Manteca over Central Catholic for that reason. Why did Manteca beat St. Francis? Did St. Francis throw the ball? Does Central Catholic throw the ball?

St. Mary's is not exposed specifically by SJB or Mater Dei. They haven't even played Mater Dei. They are exposed by themselves in an effort to try and fill a void. Plain and simple. Not saying had Noah May been healthy they would compete with Mater Dei this year. But, I will say I would not expect it to be as much a blow out as it is going to be without him. The Rams would definitely have a better chance. Frampton is good, very good. He does not have the same line he had last year, but the line is still solid. They are not as big and not as strong, but they do enough to open the holes for him to get his yards. However, it will be a total mismatch vs Mater Dei. Frampton will be lucky to get 50 yards total in this game. However, even against Central Catholic, Frampton was averaging nearly 10 yards a carry with only a dozen or so carries. Having lost May, the Rams were trying to immerse Aponte at QB throwing the ball, since they did not do as much against Cardinal Newman. Obviously, he wasn't quite ready and the continued turnovers did not help. I don't see the Rams going gung ho trying to throw against Mater Dei, either. They certainly did not put up big yards via the air vs Cosumnes Oaks. But, I do anticipate they will try more during league play when the competition is not expected to be as strong to get more passing play experience for Aponte. We'll see. Right now, I think they may be focusing in trying to strengthen their running game and stick to it, since it works.

St. Mary's has always been a consistent power in football. It has had its down years (like any school), but always makes the playoffs even in its down years. Just look at their overall record for the last 10-15 years. And it's not just football. Historically, the Rams have had a very good boys basketball program and recently a very strong baseball program, too. But, they are probably most notable for their girls basketball program which has more state championships than Folsom has combined in all of their sports programs and the Lady Rams have been a national powerhouse (not just state). This year is not expected to be any different for the Lady Rams who have one of the best if not the best post players in the country (recently helped the USA girls under 18 3-on-3 basketball team win GOLD in China), in 6'2" Aquira Decosta. I bet anyone she would beat TheFolsomBulldog in a game of 1-on-1 and it wouldn't even be close. LOL!

I lived in Stockton for some years and I admire all of St. Mary’s sports teams but as a grant fan I still don’t see how St. Mary’s hasn’t beat grant yet we are more 1 dimensional than Stanford lol. Folsom will struggle against any team that can offer what sac high can offer on th field and luckily no team in their league can and as long as Folsom can pull in those type of players they’ll always have an edge. Believe it or not folsom use to struggle with the Elk Grove schools til they switched leagues and started bringing those Elk Grove kids to Folsom.

Nevada City/Grass Valley has seen flat population increases over the past decade +. Areas like Folsom, Rocklin, EDH, Natomas, and Elk Grove are booming. It takes young families to keep that pipeline going. Who is moving to NU territory? Retirees and weed growers. Sorry its more than administration. You need talent and a pipeline to sustain a good program. Coaching of course is the icing on the cake.

Only love for Grant. You have an extraordinary person in Coach AL doing things that 99% of the people can't do. I have a hard time believing he's replaceable. I'm looking at the factor as well. If he was 40 it would be one thing.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
I think the word "exposed" is a bit over the top. Both those teams were/are highly Nationally ranked teams. Both top 10 in the Nation at game time. And while MD will win big, how about we wait til it actually happens before talking past tense? :) Anyway, I have a hard time with the word exposed when facing top 10 teams in the Nation (SJB finished #2 and MD is currently #1 or #2 depending where you look). Only a handful out of 10's of thousands could beat those teams. St. Mary's wasn't exposed, just beaten by a truly elite team.

The person you refer to doesn't represent Folsom at all. I highly doubt there is any connection to the school/program whatsoever. There are some really knowledgeable and cool Folsom fans on this board with @awood1 being chief among them. He's far more representative of the typical Folsom fan. So I wouldn't allow the boorish and sophomoric behaviour to sway your opinion on the program. But perhaps that's just me.

LL, I still think you're way off base on this one. The demographics around DPH and the school hasn't changed all that much, if at all. I don't know why you believe it has or will. And the NU comparison is poor from the standpoint that the reasons they've fallen off the map are different. Lots of administrative happenings as has been pointed out by some of our NU friends over the years. Could you be proven right over time? Sure, anything is possible. But I'd really like to know what you're basing your opinion on other than a hunch or because you feel it's inevitable. Inderkum becoming good doesn't mean a thing. As mistark has pointed out, they don't end up with a ton of kids that would otherwise attend GHS. You seem overly eager to bury Pacer Nation for some reason. :)

It has to be the move to the sfl I wouldn’t understand why any current team would be happy to play grant every year in an league that’s already hard to win. He wants to burry is cause he knows out of any public school we probably have a really down year once every 4 years anc we win a section every 4 years but in those other years we will field a pretty solid team probably just won’t have a qb that can throw

Dang, my ADHD just got exposed!! LOL

Reactions: bulldogmgc
I think the word "exposed" is a bit over the top. Both those teams were/are highly Nationally ranked teams. Both top 10 in the Nation at game time. And while MD will win big, how about we wait til it actually happens before talking past tense? :) Anyway, I have a hard time with the word exposed when facing top 10 teams in the Nation (SJB finished #2 and MD is currently #1 or #2 depending where you look). Only a handful out of 10's of thousands could beat those teams. St. Mary's wasn't exposed, just beaten by a truly elite team.

Hey Thunder, I didn't mean exposed in the sense of embarassment. What I meant by exposed was being introduced to a program that aggressively goes after the top talent in its region. St. Marys was exposed (introduced) to a parochial school that fields a team full of division 1 prospects. St. Mary's was able to see another Parochial school (Bosco), that fielded a team whose athletes resembled the Grant Pacer teams that they faced in years past.

In my opinion, St. Mary's resides in an area that would allow them to put together teams that resembled Bosco. There are some great athletes in the 209 area and it's Bay area connection is strong.

^^ Understood. I'm not sure I agree that the 209 could field a top 5 team Nationally -- at least not very consistently. The SoCal powers are in a much better position to do that and do it consistently.

Reactions: bulldogmgc
I think a school like Grant decline over the next decade. Times change and so do demographics. Did anybody predict the fall off that NU had? Years ago they were a power. But that area doesn't support a lot of families and the school suffered. You have to have population. Inderkum is already better than Grant and its a much better school. I don't see the glory days of GU ahead. Football is also becoming a wealthy sport in terms of programs with money and resources are now the top dogs.

Grant willl be fine. Their talent pool is still among the strongest in the region. Al has had a great run and carries the distinguished responsibility of passing the torch to someone else. He can't take the program any higher than what he has taken it. With 8 section championships, his legacy is cemented. But his best years as a head coach have come and gone.He was great at getting athletes on the field. That skill has declined immensely.

The athletes are still there, pop warner is alive and well. His successor will shoulder the responsibility of taking the program to the next level. The hope is that the successor unifies the community and does not divide it.

In 2000 NU has 2,890 students. In 2017 they have 1500.

In 2012 NU had it's chance to get out of the SFL and didn't. Worst decision in sports history. Talk about an Admin/AD that was out of touch with what the future was going to hold. Since NU went into the "new" SFL they have a combined 3 varsity league championships. 3...IN ALL VARSITY SPORTS...BOYS AND GIRLS.

When people talk about the "decline" of NU..it's not football only.

Here is another little nugget to bite on. In 2009 (last year NU won a section title) the school had a 5% population of Title 1 students. In 2017 that number is at 40%. So...math majors out there, drop your enrollment by 50% and increase the number of lower income kids 35%...then, for good measure, keep that school in the most dominant public school league in, maybe, the state??? That's a recipe for a huge disaster.

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
Lol they lost to a mediocre Rocklin this year. Let that sink in. Troll.
Ok but went 14-1 with a section championship in 2014... with 7 players from that team now playing division 1 and several others on their way via juco...

Also has several prospects currently playing not to mention a few who are attending other schools....

Theres still a lot of talent around the area...

Ok but went 14-1 with a section championship in 2014... with 7 players from that team now playing division 1 and several others on their way via juco...

Also has several prospects currently playing not to mention a few who are attending other schools....

Theres still a lot of talent around the area...
2014 was a flash in the pan. They weren't even the best team in their league that year. Been crap since then.

^^ Understood. I'm not sure I agree that the 209 could field a top 5 team Nationally -- at least not very consistently. The SoCal powers are in a much better position to do that and do it consistently.
100% Agree ... not at the D1 level. There just isn't that many students attending St. Mary's or in the nearby 209 areas to compare to these larger Catholic (private) schools. Let St. Mary's compete at a level that truly fits it's enrollment size like Central Catholic got to do for their enrollment size, and relative to their size they would a "power" team in the state and nationally. But, like Central Catholic is moving up in division level due to the success their program has had with multiple state championships in a row, St. Mary's has always found itself competing at the D2 or D1 level for so many years, and their enrollment is less than 1K (co-ed). Yet, they compete with the public and private schools in NorCal with much larger enrollments. Just how big in enrollment are the WCAL schools? Also, need to remember that St. Mary's #1 priority is NOT football. And it is really NOT girl's basketball. And they don't have the same student/region pool size that some of these other Catholic schools have. But, they still do very well considering.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Thought I might get a glimpes of St. Marys brand of fb tonight so I went to see the JV game at RHS.....I was very surprised to see a private team with maybe 30 players....now that being said they sure passed the eyeball test.....Rocklin shell shocked them. They were never in the game..........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT