ADVERTISEMENT

The Future of the SFL: Who Will Dominate?

Lol no Rosemont school private or public is shining our boots. Let's be real here. Grant is a 4th place team in the SFL. Sac teams don't know the grind of the SFL.

I guess losing to the Elk Grove schools prepared you guys well so I im sure we will fit right in too

I guess losing to the Elk Grove schools prepared you guys well so I im sure we will fit right in too
Lol in 1990? Sure. We've been blowing out Elk Grove City Schools for the last decade. It's getting old beating up on these South Sac 2.0 schools

Lol in 1990? Sure. We've been blowing out Elk Grove City Schools for the last decade. It's getting old beating up on these South Sac 2.0 schools

Last decade? You sure about that yall only on a 7 year stint now? Anything past 2010 Folsom was struggling with all the delta and current sfl teams...but kudos for the turn around

Last decade? You sure about that yall only on a 7 year stint now? Anything past 2010 Folsom was struggling with all the delta and current sfl teams...but kudos for the turn around
Epic turnaround. Turned Grant, Jesuit, and Elk Grove into "has beenz!"

Who should they schedule? Private powers? There's no public schools on their level in NorCal currently. There's not a lot of fish in the sea. The WCAL sucks and DLS is the lone private worth a lick right now.

Centennial-Corona, Bellevue, Mater Dei, Bosco, Gorman, Timpview, East (Salt Lake City), Bingham, DLS....etc.. Take a trip! Go beat somebody....

Everybody else has...

Centennial-Corona, Bellevue, Mater Dei, Bosco, Gorman, Timpview, East (Salt Lake City), Bingham, DLS....etc.. Take a trip! Go beat somebody....

Everybody else has...
Most of those schools are privates. Different rules involved. Wouldn't u rather else play a top public? Apples to apples comparison.

But thanks for the compliment. Being mentioned with those schools is an honor we've worked hard for. Hopefully we meet someone like that in the SBG. We're probably the only team that NorCal fans will route against in a SBG. Lol

Reactions: BigMann08
7 year run 10 years ago you couldn't find a Folsom fan...they beat grant in 2010 to get into the scene before that they were losing to these same sfl and delta teams that the currently run over BECAUSE OF THEIR PRIVATE SCHOOL WAYS everybody in Sacramento knows Folsom is full of non Folsom kids...that's why cc will be a big threat for them they are already pulling kids away from folsoms program

Folsom has a great program with great coaching. I dont know how things are now that Troy Taylor left but they have a good program! Leadership turned things around at Folsom. They have a great system that people buy into.

Honestly the SJS is up for grabs and the privates are in a great position to build teams that can compete with De la Salle. I think thats why Casey Taylor went to CC.

I wouldnt be surprised to see St. Mary's turn into a national powerhouse like they are in womens basketball. They have the resources and the population to do so.

Its pretty obvious why Bosco has success with De la Salle now...They flooded the field with D1 caliber athletes...

Bosco looks like 08 Grant now... hahaha big fast and strong....

CC should be able to do something similar. We already see it happening on a smaller scale.

SFL gonna still be interesting and Battle it Out with the WCAL (CCS), EBL (NCS) & BVL (NCS) for the Top League in NorCal! Great to hear that some school districts are doing away with open enrollment! We shall have to wait & see on how that affects the schools in 3-5 years!

Reactions: BigMann08
i wouldnt be surprised to see St. Mary's turn into a national powerhouse like they are in womens basketball.

Except they're maybe the 2nd or 3rd best team in the SJS. Tough go be a national power when your not the best in your section. And Folsom has had more success and national recognition in the last decade.

SFL gonna still be interesting and Battle it Out with the WCAL (CCS), EBL (NCS) & BVL (NCS) for the Top League in NorCal! Great to hear that some school districts are doing away with open enrollment! We shall have to wait & see on how that affects the schools in 3-5 years!
This year the SFL is the best league. That's is my opinion based on Calpreps rankings.

Except they're maybe the 2nd or 3rd best team in the SJS. Tough go be a national power when your not the best in your section. And Folsom has had more success and national recognition in the last decade.

Here you go again with this decade stuff y'all haven't been around for that long st Mary's is easily on par with Folsom plus they actually play hard teams meanwhile Folsom plays small schools everybody wants to see Folsom schedule up how do you say Folsom is the best program in the sjs and they play no other top teams but will find games from d3 schools

Hahaha...

When teams fear for their players safety and doesn't want your team in their league then you gotta go pick on the foothill schools. Grants the program that made Folsom it's only right when we end it

Here you go again with this decade stuff y'all haven't been around for that long st Mary's is easily on par with Folsom plus they actually play hard teams meanwhile Folsom plays small schools everybody wants to see Folsom schedule up how do you say Folsom is the best program in the sjs and they play no other top teams but will find games from d3 schools
Lol ask bulldogmgc who's better this year. He will tell you. Not a knock on them at all. Great program and a great private power. Pretty amazing that were better than most privates.

Probably because what a school did 30 years ago is meaningless. I'm from the Monterey area and 30 years ago these things were true:

North Monterey County was on the same level as Palma.

Marina, Pajaro Valley, Scotts Valley, Christopher, Greenfield, Soledad, Alvarez, St. Francis-Watsonville, and Rancho San Juan weren't open.

Live Oak was one of the better programs in the CCS (Sobrato hadn't opened yet) and was in the MBL.

Fort Ord was still open, which significantly boosted the enrollments of Monterey and Seaside.

Point is, things can change a lot in 10 years, much less 30.

It's funny when you only want to go back 4 years to determine a teams consistency...why not go back 10...nobody said 30 years ago...why not bring up the matches they each team has played since 2000 or 2005 or 2010... why only gonna baxk to the favorable years? Last time I checked the sfl is a great league because what the teams did past 4 years ago right? If that's not the case then it's only two teams that's relevant from that league as of rightnow

Last edited:

Yeah but over the past two seasons St. Mary's has been exposed to Mater Dei and Bosco. They were able to see the amount of athletes that Bosco put on the field.

If the staff gets ambitious, there is enough talent around the 209 to assemble some incredible teams.

Reactions: awood1
Probably because what a school did 30 years ago is meaningless. I'm from the Monterey area and 30 years ago these things were true:

North Monterey County was on the same level as Palma.

Marina, Pajaro Valley, Scotts Valley, Christopher, Greenfield, Soledad, Alvarez, St. Francis-Watsonville, and Rancho San Juan weren't open.

Live Oak was one of the better programs in the CCS (Socratic hadn't opened yet) and was in the MBL.

Fort Ord was still open, which significantly boosted the enrollments of Monterey and Seaside.

Point is, things can change a lot in 10 years, much less 30.

The point is grant is doing the same thing they always been doing since 30 years ago that's what makes them impressive they won section just 3 years ago. So you when you compare grant to the rest of the sfl compare evenly

Yeah but over the past two seasons St. Mary's has been exposed to Mater Dei and Bosco. They were able to see the amount of athletes that Bosco put on the field.

If the staff gets ambitious, there is enough talent around the 209 to assemble some incredible teams.
He's a troll he only started rooting for Folsom in 2014

He's a troll he only started rooting for Folsom in 2014

Agreed, Biggest troll on Internet today. Honestly sheds a negative light on all Folsom fans. Makes me despise them more. Not only do they have have kids from Reno on their team, not only is their field the ugliest field in the section, but their fans are also like this troll. Very sad

When teams fear for their players safety and doesn't want your team in their league then you gotta go pick on the foothill schools. Grants the program that made Folsom it's only right when we end it

The Foothill schools have had success with Grant, as has Grant with them. But Grant struggles against well-coached teams. We've seen this time and time again.

There staff is a great support staff but they need a brilliant football mind to run the ship.

The Foothill schools have had success with Grant, as has Grant with them. But Grant struggles against well-coached teams. We've seen this time and time again.

There staff is a great support staff but they need a brilliant football mind to run the ship.

Your half way right they only struggle with well coached teams when they don't have a man child on their team...when your outmanned talent wise coaching isn't going to help. On defense the run a cover 0 no matter what the other team is running. It's the years when they can't get away with that is when they lose but they are a spread team now so stuffing the box vs grant should be in the past

Agreed, Biggest troll on Internet today. Honestly sheds a negative light on all Folsom fans. Makes me despise them more. Not only do they have have kids from Reno on their team, not only is their field the ugliest field in the section, but their fans are also like this troll. Very sad
You're just mad because you live in Carmichael! Lol. Enjoy all the wins this year.

The blue turf rules!

They're a private school and can't beat a public school in Folsom this year. Let that sink in.

PUHSD Policy for Intradistrict Transfers

Changes for school year 2017-2018 school year (applications being submitted by February 10, 2017) include:

• All students are expected to attend their school of residence.
  • All transfer applicants will need to demonstrate a hardship. Hardship is defined as an unforeseeable, unavoidable and uncorrectable act, condition or event, outside of the student’s or family’s control, which causes the imposition of a severe burden, unrelated to an curricular or co-curricular activity in which the student wishes to participate.
DO gets most of their players thru "Inter" district transfers, so I doubt the "Intra" district policy will effect them that much.

DO gets most of their players thru "Inter" district transfers, so I doubt the "Intra" district policy will effect them that much.

The vast majority of the football rosters at DO are local kids, the kids that do live outside the boundaries and play football, do in fact enroll as freshman using "inter" district transfers. The way you wrote it makes it sound like most of their football players are transfers, which is not true. Just wanted to make sure so folks don't get the wrong impression.

I do agree with your comment though that kids will still want to attend from Rocklin and Roseville and will transfer if that's what they want...up until DO is completely impacted or builds more facilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: DelOroFB_Dad
...last time I seen a regular grant team play a regular Folsom team Folsom lost 43-16

You mean the one where it was 20-16 at half until the light bulb went on and someone realized Shaq Thompson might be something special?

Yup, I am sure that a lot of "regular" Grant teams will run the "Give Shaq the ball" offense and count on their "regular" kicker to chip in (3) 40yd+ FGs.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good game between 2 "regular" teams with one extraordinary player on the field.

Who should they schedule? Private powers? There's no public schools on their level in NorCal currently. There's not a lot of fish in the sea. The WCAL sucks and DLS is the lone private worth a lick right now.
The WCAL is down from 5+ years ago, but given that Folsom's record against the WCAL is 0-1, best to beat someone before bragging too much. With that said, in the past 10 years Folsom has not beaten a top 30 team in the country. I think Folsom is plenty good enough to challenge the top Privates and Publics - they are good enough, but havent found a way to schedule one. I cant imagine it is anything but choice, as many other programs that are not as good as Folsom finds ways to make it happen. Folsom will continue to be doubted as an Elite team until they do, but they will keep on winning and will in most cases be going to state bowl games as the 2nd place NorCal team. With a DLS loss this year, had Folsom played BG/MD/Cent/MV and beaten them, they would be deserving of being picked ahead of DLS. We will not find out how good Folsom really is because they wont play the game(s) that will show it.

The vast majority of the football rosters at DO are local kids, the kids that do live outside the boundaries and play football, do in fact enroll as freshman using "inter" district transfers. The way you wrote it makes it sound like most of their football players are transfers, which is not true. Just wanted to make sure so folks don't get the wrong impression.
My mistake, yes I meant most of their transfer students are inter not intra.

Reactions: RidgeRider
You mean the one where it was 20-16 at half until the light bulb went on and someone realized Shaq Thompson might be something special?

Yup, I am sure that a lot of "regular" Grant teams will run the "Give Shaq the ball" offense and count on their "regular" kicker to chip in (3) 40yd+ FGs.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good game between 2 "regular" teams with one extraordinary player on the field.

Meanwhile they lost a couple games that year and exited the play offs early. That might also been the last Folsom team to come from its residency. I know it hurts to watch this year Elk Grove bulldogs lol or Reno bulldogs I’ll let folsoms fans pick which city folsoms recruited the best

I think a school like Grant decline over the next decade. Times change and so do demographics. Did anybody predict the fall off that NU had? Years ago they were a power. But that area doesn't support a lot of families and the school suffered. You have to have population. Inderkum is already better than Grant and its a much better school. I don't see the glory days of GU ahead. Football is also becoming a wealthy sport in terms of programs with money and resources are now the top dogs. The Granite Bay's, Folsom, Oak Ridges are going to be good for a long time. The schools in Elk Grove will continue to prosper. Their program has some cannibalization of athletes. Too many schools so the talent gets spread thin. Think back of the old Elk Grove HS teams when it was the only game in town.

I could see St Mary's of Stockton becoming a power as well. Stockton has a lot of diversity. You have african americans, islanders, hispanics, whites, etc. Stockton got a lot of folks from Oakland over the last 15 years. St Mary's has facilities and great support. They will continue to take it up a notch.

What is this crap that EVERY SFL game is a playoff game. There is the regular season then the playoffs. Don't go overboard on the SFL.

Meanwhile they lost a couple games that year and exited the play offs early. That might also been the last Folsom team to come from its residency. I know it hurts to watch this year Elk Grove bulldogs lol or Reno bulldogs I’ll let folsoms fans pick which city folsoms recruited the best

Yeah, 2 losses in a season (2nd was to another "regular" team that featured another 1st rd. NFL draft pick) and a 4pt. loss in the section finals is an early exit.
But everyone knows that team featured kids from Rancho, Rosemont, Bella Vista, Bakersfield...hell they even had kids that played youth football in IN and NY!!

Reactions: TheFolsomBulldog
The Granite Bay's, Folsom, Oak Ridges are going to be good for a long time. The schools in Elk Grove will continue to prosper. Their program has some cannibalization of athletes. Too many schools so the talent gets spread thin. Think back of the old Elk Grove HS teams when it was the only game in town.

Well, this is all nice. But being good and elite are two very different things. Elite means you bring players in from everywhere. They want to be in the program because they know the coaching is good. So, what is missing here is whether the coaches are going to stick around or leave, and then whether they get replaced by folks just as good. I think there is a good chance Folsom could see more coaches go to the college ranks.

The WCAL is down from 5+ years ago, but given that Folsom's record against the WCAL is 0-1, best to beat someone before bragging too much. With that said, in the past 10 years Folsom has not beaten a top 30 team in the country. I think Folsom is plenty good enough to challenge the top Privates and Publics - they are good enough, but havent found a way to schedule one. I cant imagine it is anything but choice, as many other programs that are not as good as Folsom finds ways to make it happen. Folsom will continue to be doubted as an Elite team until they do, but they will keep on winning and will in most cases be going to state bowl games as the 2nd place NorCal team. With a DLS loss this year, had Folsom played BG/MD/Cent/MV and beaten them, they would be deserving of being picked ahead of DLS. We will not find out how good Folsom really is because they wont play the game(s) that will show it.
That all sounds great, except for we didn't make the rankings. Calpreps rated the league the top in Norcal. The WCAL isn't even the top two in NorCal. It is a down year in the WCAL and that will continue for the near future. The WCAL schools will not be able to compete with the SJS power schools because of shifting demographics in the Bay Area. I called this years ago. Even DLS isn't what it once was.

I'm not bragging about the league ranking. I am just pointing out Calpreps rankings based on numbers and not jealousy and envy from others.

SFL is the premier league in Norcal.

Yeah but over the past two seasons St. Mary's has been exposed to Mater Dei and Bosco.

I think the word "exposed" is a bit over the top. Both those teams were/are highly Nationally ranked teams. Both top 10 in the Nation at game time. And while MD will win big, how about we wait til it actually happens before talking past tense? :) Anyway, I have a hard time with the word exposed when facing top 10 teams in the Nation (SJB finished #2 and MD is currently #1 or #2 depending where you look). Only a handful out of 10's of thousands could beat those teams. St. Mary's wasn't exposed, just beaten by a truly elite team.

The person you refer to doesn't represent Folsom at all. I highly doubt there is any connection to the school/program whatsoever. There are some really knowledgeable and cool Folsom fans on this board with @awood1 being chief among them. He's far more representative of the typical Folsom fan. So I wouldn't allow the boorish and sophomoric behaviour to sway your opinion on the program. But perhaps that's just me.

I think a school like Grant decline over the next decade. Times change and so do demographics. Did anybody predict the fall off that NU had? Years ago they were a power. But that area doesn't support a lot of families and the school suffered. You have to have population. Inderkum is already better than Grant and its a much better school. I don't see the glory days of GU ahead.

LL, I still think you're way off base on this one. The demographics around DPH and the school hasn't changed all that much, if at all. I don't know why you believe it has or will. And the NU comparison is poor from the standpoint that the reasons they've fallen off the map are different. Lots of administrative happenings as has been pointed out by some of our NU friends over the years. Could you be proven right over time? Sure, anything is possible. But I'd really like to know what you're basing your opinion on other than a hunch or because you feel it's inevitable. Inderkum becoming good doesn't mean a thing. As mistark has pointed out, they don't end up with a ton of kids that would otherwise attend GHS. You seem overly eager to bury Pacer Nation for some reason. :)

Last edited:
I am thinking it was an Admin thing at NU too look at Coach Dave Humphers whom is at River Valley-Yuba City.

Yeah, 2 losses in a season (2nd was to another "regular" team that featured another 1st rd. NFL draft pick) and a 4pt. loss in the section finals is an early exit.
But everyone knows that team featured kids from Rancho, Rosemont, Bella Vista, Bakersfield...hell they even had kids that played youth football in IN and NY!!
I’m lost I don’t think you comprehended that very well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT