ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2024 Football Schedules

SI has the top offensive lineman in Northern California John Mills and their other OL stud was the WCAL Freshman of the Year in Isaia Vandermade.
Our HC was a OL himself at the highest level so he knows a thing or two about pounding the ball.
VC's Champ Taulealea is the WCAL's top 2025 lineman. Mills, Riordan's Peter Langi and Losipin Tupou, SF's Netane and Serra's Akpa and Shamieh are also highly regarded.

Last edited:
VC's Champ Taulealea is the WCAL's top 2025 lineman. Mills, Riordan's Peter Langi and Losipin Tupou, SF's Netane and Serra's Akpa and Shamieh are also highly regarded.
How about Isaia Vandermade @ SI. He started on both sides of the ball and was the WCAL Freshman of the Year. Reporter Brandon Huffman tweeted a 247Sports article about him at a recent camp last month in Seattle that he attended where he did very well.

Last edited:
How about Isaia Vandermade @ SI. He started on both sides of the ball and was the WCAL Freshman of the Year. Reporter Brandon Huffman tweeted a 247Sports article about him at a recent camp last month in Seattle that he attended where he did very well.
If you're referencing the NW Showcase, Tofi was overall MVP of his session at the NW Showcase two weekends ago. QB Mike Mitchell was overall MVP of his session. Cynai Thomas was WR MVP.

View: https://x.com/BrandonHuffman/status/1796997386574926223

If you're referencing the NW Showcase, Tofi was overall MVP of his session at the NW Showcase two weekends ago. QB Mike Mitchell was overall MVP of his session. Cynai Thomas was WR MVP.

View: https://x.com/BrandonHuffman/status/1796997386574926223

Totally different camp. I was referencing an article Brandon Huffman had also tweeted about to make the case SI has more than just 1 guy in the trenches. We might have 3 or 4 by the end of the season as I'm expecting some big things from our edge rusher Daniel Leupold this upcoming year.

Sounds like actual college coaches were at the Under Armor camp and not sure who was all at the NW Showcase you're talking about?

I also realized after reading the article again that if you're a legit football player? You'd want to look at SI where the HC actually has deep college relationships to help you get there. He also knows what colleges are looking for with his own son primed for the spotlight in the upcoming years.

Last edited:
Totally different camp. I was referencing an article Brandon Huffman had also tweeted about to make the case SI has more than just 1 guy in the trenches. We might have 3 or 4 by the end of the season as I'm expecting some big things from our edge rusher Daniel Leupold this upcoming year.

Sounds like actual college coaches were at the Under Armor camp and not sure who was all at the NW Showcase you're talking about?

I also realized after reading the article again that if you're a legit football player? You'd want to look at SI where the HC actually has deep college relationships to help you get there. He also knows what colleges are looking for with his own son primed for the spotlight in the upcoming years.
Uh. Ok.

View: https://x.com/johntofijr/status/1796626059682549878

Reactions: Niklas227 and MC415
I've seen multiple posts about an SI transfer or 2 from down South. I find this really intriguing with the returning group they've got coming back. Someone has to know the name(s) by now right?

I've seen multiple posts about an SI transfer or 2 from down South. I find this really intriguing with the returning group they've got coming back. Someone has to know the name(s) by now right?
I hear its highly recruited DL Manoah Faupusa from Los Alamitos.

He single handily kept Los Al in the playoff game against Mission Viejo thru 3 overtimes before he finally ran out of gas.

This is the same Mission Viejo that waxed the crap out of De La Salle in the Championship.

SI also got a WR transfer but I don't know his name.

Coach Vandermade had a hell of a successful 1st season making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. He was only expected to win 3 games.

Now with a full year of running his off season program. Don't be surprised if SI is a juggernaut this year.

Heading into the 2024 WCAL season, a major question surrounds the Bellarmine program. Once a dominant NorCal factor, the Bells have fallen into serious disrepair. Their three levels went a combined 3-16 in league play, 3-5-1 outside the WCAL, for a grand 2023 total of 6-21-1. That final figure is one of the worst overall performances in Bellarmine's long and distinguished history. It can't get much worse on the College Park campus. Coaching issues, administrative malaise, lack of talent, general dysfunction, you name it, and the Jesuit institution (with an all-male student body topping 1,600) is in the football doldrums. To be frank, a WCAL without a powerful Bellarmine is less than stellar. Its pedigree speaks for itself.

Last edited:
A Bellarmine addendum. Of all the recent results that tend to mystify WCAL observers, the Bells' collapse against ancient rival Serra may be the most glaring. Over the last seven years, the Padres have won eight straight games vs. Bellarmine by a combined score of 340-48. A running clock in the second half has not been unusual in those games. It wasn't always like this. Beginning in the 1940's, Bellarmine happily used Serra as its Jesuit hand puppelt more often than not. No more. The tide has turned in a rivalry that started when Harry Truman assumed his perch in the White House. It's been brutal, a total and complete reversal of all of those grim (for Serra) decades when the Bells rolled merrily all over the hapless San Mateans. It's been so one-sided that the old derogatory Serra cheer "Squash the prunes!" seems out of place and pointless. It isn't heard anymore anyway. Serra administrators don't cotton to it. No matter. The so-called "prunes" are more like withered raisins today.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Heading into the 2024 WCAL season, a major question surrounds the Bellarmine program. Once a dominant NorCal factor, the Bells have fallen into serious disrepair. Their three levels went a combined 3-16 in league play, 3-5-1 outside the WCAL, for a grand 2023 total of 6-21-1. That final figure is one of the worst overall performances in Bellarmine's long and distinguished history. It can't get much worse on the College Park campus. Coaching issues, administrative malaise, lack of talent, general dysfunction, you name it, and the Jesuit institution (with an all-male student body topping 1,600) is in the football doldrums. To be frank, a WCAL without a powerful Bellarmine is less than stellar. Its pedigree speaks for itself.
Unfortunately, moving forward Bellarmine is now a bottom feeder in the WCAL battling Sacred Heart to NOT be the worst team in the conference.

Unfortunately, moving forward Bellarmine is now a bottom feeder in the WCAL battling Sacred Heart to NOT be the worst team in the conference.
It seems almost inconceivable that Bellarmine officials will allow this grim situation to persist. Not that they need the enrollment. Still, what's occurring on the football field should be unacceptable. The rest of the athletic program is in decent shape. Football is a mess.

It seems almost inconceivable that Bellarmine officials will allow this grim situation to persist. Not that they need the enrollment. Still, what's occurring on the football field should be unacceptable. The rest of the athletic program is in decent shape. Football is a mess.
Unsettling to see Bellarmine's best players leave in St. Laurent (football) and both Brayden Harris and Corbett in basketball in consecutive years. Not only transferring, but going to league rivals. A competitive Bells program is always good for the league.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Mike Mitchell Jr. earned QB MVP at the UnderArmour SoCal.

View: https://x.com/TheUCReport/status/1773875960162468293

Mike Mitchell sounds like a future Heisman trophy winner, maybe even NFL MVP? He has been killing it at camps and showcases everywhere.

How did he do against top competition on the field the past few years?

Riordan is clearly the team to beat in NorCal. According to social media they have an all world O-line littered with 4 and 5 star players, a few 5 star receivers, AND a future Heisman H.O.F QB! Who could possibly beat this team, it would be close but maybe Bosco, Gorman, or Mater Dei has a shot?

Mike Mitchell sounds like a future Heisman trophy winner, maybe even NFL MVP? He has been killing it at camps and showcases everywhere.

Riordan is clearly the team to beat in NorCal. According to social media they have an all world O-line littered with 4 and 5 star players, a few 5 star receivers, AND a future Heisman H.O.F QB! Who could possibly beat this team, it would be close but maybe Bosco, Gorman, or Mater Dei has a shot?
There was a big passing tournament at Edison High School I think the same weekend where Mater Dei and Mission Viejo played in the final. So, not sure who was at this under armour tournament when all the local big schools like Bosco, Mater Dei, Centennial, and Mission Viejo were elsewhere.

Yet you see that from all the players and teams who post on social media. I’m hearing SI is the next juggernaut with the best coach, OL and transfers. You’re just trolling.

Reactions: Niklas227
Yet you see that from all the players and teams who post on social media. I’m hearing SI is the next juggernaut with the best coach, OL and transfers. You’re just trolling.

I'm not trolling at all, its one thing to have people talking on boards. Mitchell is actually going out and earning it! He has won multiple camp/showcase MVP's and has the offers to back it up. The kid is clearly the real deal. Sorry if I said something that rubbed you the wrong way.

Have you seen the Riordan offers and player rankings? Once again, not just talk but actual 247 rankings.

Riordan is the team to beat like it or not. I am not a Riordan alum or fan but it is clear to see online that this team is going to roll right through NorCal and possibly SoCal this upcoming season.

Who has more D1 recruits than Riordan in NorCal?

This is Year 3 under Riordan's Ravipati, so this is now his Football program. Lots of excitement and support at Crusader Nation as this team is set up to have a good season. It's just good to have this program competitive and relevant in NorCal football. Looking forward to the Fall.

This is Year 3 under Riordan's Ravipati, so this is now his Football program. Lots of excitement and support at Crusader Nation as this team is set up to have a good season. It's just good to have this program competitive and relevant in NorCal football. Looking forward to the Fall.

Exactly!

I don't ever remember seeing so much talent on one team in NorCal outside of maybe DLS. They are going to have a great season.
I think they have a 3/4/5 star caliber players at every level on this team including the #1 QB. These are the NorCal Open Champion reps in my opinion, anything else would be highly disappointing with all of that talent!

Folsom, DLS, Pitt, St. Marys-Stockton, SRV and even Serra still the teams to beat. That's why you play the games.

Maybe from a historical standpoint.

I remember hearing that the major difference between NorCal & SoCal teams was the number of highly ranked D1 caliber players and right now Riordan is in a class of its own. How can the teams you mentioned; Serra, Folsom, DLS, Pitt, St. Marys-Stockton, SRV compete against such a loaded Riordan team? Riordan also boast one of the top coaching staffs in California!

Like it or not there's a new king of the mountain and I think its good for NorCal football. Finally a team that can stack up player for player against those SoCal teams.

Maybe from a historical standpoint.

I remember hearing that the major difference between NorCal & SoCal teams was the number of highly ranked D1 caliber players and right now Riordan is in a class of its own. How can the teams you mentioned; Serra, Folsom, DLS, Pitt, St. Marys-Stockton, SRV compete against such a loaded Riordan team? Riordan also boast one of the top coaching staffs in California!

Like it or not there's a new king of the mountain and I think its good for NorCal football. Finally a team that can stack up player for player against those SoCal teams.
A whole lot of talk about a team that went out in the 1st round of the playoffs last year. 🤨

Difference is we were never expected to be in that position at the beginning of the season. Coach Vandermade was only expected to win 3 games.
Vandermade inherited a solid team (starting qbs, wrs, rbs, lb, ol) thanks to Coach Regalia. SJ Mercury picked SI for 3rd place. Riordan at 5th place. Year 3 will be the indicator.

Last edited:
A whole lot of talk about a team that went out in the 1st round of the playoffs last year. 🤨

That was before all these kids developed into the D1 juggernaut's that they are this season. Why question the greatness that we can see online & on social media? MVP, future H.O.F QB with 4 & 5 star players all over the field around him and the best coaches. How could this not work??

Their back ups have offers similar to the SoCal power house teams.

I think everyone is in for a rude awakening when it comes to NorCal football, it's all Riordan and its not even close.

Riordan is loaded with talent this season no doubt. Not ready to claim them as kings of Norcal however by any means. The bigger issue in my opinion is their defense. Last season they averaged 30 PA per game. That needs to improve if they want to finish top 2 in WCAL. Time will tell and I'm excited to see this team compete. Until D is fixed I still have them below Serra/SF and top-tier SFL teams. Should be a fun season! Bay Area football is better when Riordan is rolling.

A solid team? Coach Regalia only had 1 winning season in WCAL his last ten years at the helm. 🤨

From SF Standard-Ethan Kassel:
"The next St. Ignatius head football coach will inherit major returning talent. Quarterback Soren Hummel, running back Jarious Hogan and middle linebacker Sui Gallegos-Hunkin all started as sophomores. Fellow sophomores Jake Boyden and Chase Wiley made impact plays in the secondary as the season progressed, and sophomore tackle John Mills holds an offer from Washington.
Key juniors on the 2022 roster included Dash Crispen, Atticus Moustakas and Junior Tutoe, who combined to anchor a defense that allowed just 14.5 points per game in its final eight outings. Running back Cameron Jones, tight end Con McKeon and wide receivers Moe Barnum and Pierce St. Geme all experienced success in their junior seasons as well. The 2022 JV unit, spearheaded by freshman quarterback Caedon Afsharipour, went 8-1, losing only to Serra and beating St. Mary’s-Stockton 41-7."

• Haha

From SF Standard-Ethan Kassel:
"The next St. Ignatius head football coach will inherit major returning talent. Quarterback Soren Hummel, running back Jarious Hogan and middle linebacker Sui Gallegos-Hunkin all started as sophomores. Fellow sophomores Jake Boyden and Chase Wiley made impact plays in the secondary as the season progressed, and sophomore tackle John Mills holds an offer from Washington.
Key juniors on the 2022 roster included Dash Crispen, Atticus Moustakas and Junior Tutoe, who combined to anchor a defense that allowed just 14.5 points per game in its final eight outings. Running back Cameron Jones, tight end Con McKeon and wide receivers Moe Barnum and Pierce St. Geme all experienced success in their junior seasons as well. The 2022 JV unit, spearheaded by freshman quarterback Caedon Afsharipour, went 8-1, losing only to Serra and beating St. Mary’s-Stockton 41-7."
WCAL league play is the only record that matters because of playoff implications and we were 3-4 in 2022.

A solid team? Coach Regalia only had 1 winning season in WCAL his last ten years at the helm. 🤨
Wow. So your sole measurement is Wins and Losses? SI arguably has never been a football school. Football isn't even in the same ballpark as their other elitist sports for their type of student-athlete (see Crew, Lacrosse). Regalia always had solid teams that were always in the middle of the league standings and that was their ceiling. No shame in that for a non-football power.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT