ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2019-20 - NCP's All NorCal Team + SF Chron All Metro & Merc Teams

Hey RunItBacPap1, I disagree.

The fact that a public school with about 900 students can compete with Catholic schools that can recruit athletes. Who are you to say that they are over-rated? They have beaten the teams that are on their schedule, that is all you can ask of a team. Persoanally, I feel like they should be the #1 seed in D2. They don't belong in D1 playing against schools with 2,000+ enrollments that can recruit and offer scholarships to the best football players in the region.

I actually think that HMB could give SI a run for thieir money. But it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. So what if SI beats a lowly public school like HMB? With SI's endowment, and ability to attract the top talent in the region, shouldn't they be better than a lowly public school? If they were to lose, what would that say about SI?

Anyways, JM2C. Hoping that HMB gets the #1 seed in D2 which is where they belong.

-T

If y’all are drawing parallels to HMB being so good, then why back track and say they should play D2? You wanna be a big boy... go beat the big boys...

Reactions: Defense_Rules
SF Examiner’s story on yesterday’s St. Ignatius-Serra Game. Photo from St. Ignatius
https://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/sf-preps-st-ignatius-upsets-serra-to-claim-share-of-title/
940x0.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of conjecture will take place upcoming about the various match-ups including & especially HMB & Serra.
At this point no one quite knows how good the small roster team is out of Half Moon Bay. Serra 's current roster shows 61, S.I.'s roster showed 46 and HMB's shows 44. Watching the games and counting the players the teams all have less than these numbers due to injuries [so a definite advantage to larger deeper rosters]. The roster difference was not a factor in yesterdays game other than one player injured for Serra - QB McLemore.

As to speed Serra & VC have the fastest players in the WCAL of which I've named them in posts about the 2 teams. Yesterday Serra's speed was not evident vs St. Ignatius. Serra is a different animal without their starting QB Daylin McLemore who was among the highest rated in the bay area. As colhenry pointed out Serra also lost its other QB Dylan Eaton early on to injury. Now Serra is operating with its soph QB with 2 full games experience. The soph played well under the circumstances while his inexperience was evident as well. Serra squandered a number of opportunities incl fumbling at the S.I. 4-yard line after recovering the opening kick-off. As with happens with a new QB Serra had numerous penalties for offsides and holding on offense which continually backed up the Padres. Serra might work on the center delivering the ball to the new QB as there were numerous hikes low and high that could have been mishandled [one S.I. announcer commented that there could be an upcoming fumble with the difficulty Lampkin was having catching the ball from center]. Serra seemed off-kilter on both sides of the ball in this game. On offense Serra was dreadful at times. Serra's coaching staff was reluctant to have their young QB throw down field and instead was relying on line of scrimmage passes to the outside and bubble screens of which several were blown up or almost picked off [the timing is not there yet with a new QB with some hesitation to throw]. That left the Padres to run and they are not a conventional run team. S.I. was playing the run and there was nothing there for the Padres. The only success Serra had running the ball was in using their close set double wing which the Padres employed in the 2nd 1/2 and got an immediate 1rst down before abandoning it and going 3 and out again. Aside from Loville's couple of clutch catches = 2 of one drive including a one-handed grab and then the TD the Padre passing game was missing most of the game. S.I.'s passing game was in full force with little defensive pressure on Teddye Buchanan. When the Padres were able to pressure Buchanan the S.I. QB was able to run for large gains and first downs. Buchanan was 19/24 passing on the day with 10 of those catches going to Danny Ryan who scored both S.I. TD's. Danny Ryan smashed the all-time WCAL pass receiving record yesterday and at times was so open it was a bit shocking. In short the S.I. WR should have had double coverage from the start as single coverage was 100% unsuccessful [not being overly critical of Serra's secondary, but Ryan is just that good].

Serra has a lot of adjustments to make upcoming obviously. I would not discount HMB based soley on its soft schedule as they showed they could win against a good team/program with the SHP win. HMB also has a good program in recent years including sending a team to state 3 years ago. HMB is well coached and the players execute well and show good balance on offense. Had Serra had a lopsided win over S.I. yesterday then I would lean more heavily towards the Padres, however Serra has a LOT of issues to address and in a hurry. In short the Padres will have to pass to win and that means going more down field with some consistency.

r
Lots of conjecture will take place upcoming about the various match-ups including & especially HMB & Serra.
At this point no one quite knows how good the small roster team is out of Half Moon Bay. Serra 's current roster shows 61, S.I.'s roster showed 46 and HMB's shows 44. Watching the games and counting the players the teams all have less than these numbers due to injuries [so a definite advantage to larger deeper rosters]. The roster difference was not a factor in yesterdays game other than one player injured for Serra - QB McLemore.

As to speed Serra & VC have the fastest players in the WCAL of which I've named them in posts about the 2 teams. Yesterday Serra's speed was not evident vs St. Ignatius. Serra is a different animal without their starting QB Daylin McLemore who was among the highest rated in the bay area. As colhenry pointed out Serra also lost its other QB Dylan Eaton early on to injury. Now Serra is operating with its soph QB with 2 full games experience. The soph played well under the circumstances while his inexperience was evident as well. Serra squandered a number of opportunities incl fumbling at the S.I. 4-yard line after recovering the opening kick-off. As with happens with a new QB Serra had numerous penalties for offsides and holding on offense which continually backed up the Padres. Serra might work on the center delivering the ball to the new QB as there were numerous hikes low and high that could have been mishandled [one S.I. announcer commented that there could be an upcoming fumble with the difficulty Lampkin was having catching the ball from center]. Serra seemed off-kilter on both sides of the ball in this game. On offense Serra was dreadful at times. Serra's coaching staff was reluctant to have their young QB throw down field and instead was relying on line of scrimmage passes to the outside and bubble screens of which several were blown up or almost picked off [the timing is not there yet with a new QB with some hesitation to throw]. That left the Padres to run and they are not a conventional run team. S.I. was playing the run and there was nothing there for the Padres. The only success Serra had running the ball was in using their close set double wing which the Padres employed in the 2nd 1/2 and got an immediate 1rst down before abandoning it and going 3 and out again. Aside from Loville's couple of clutch catches = 2 of one drive including a one-handed grab and then the TD the Padre passing game was missing most of the game. S.I.'s passing game was in full force with little defensive pressure on Teddye Buchanan. When the Padres were able to pressure Buchanan the S.I. QB was able to run for large gains and first downs. Buchanan was 19/24 passing on the day with 10 of those catches going to Danny Ryan who scored both S.I. TD's. Danny Ryan smashed the all-time WCAL pass receiving record yesterday and at times was so open it was a bit shocking. In short the S.I. WR should have had double coverage from the start as single coverage was 100% unsuccessful [not being overly critical of Serra's secondary, but Ryan is just that good].

Serra has a lot of adjustments to make upcoming obviously. I would not discount HMB based soley on its soft schedule as they showed they could win against a good team/program with the SHP win. HMB also has a good program in recent years including sending a team to state 3 years ago. HMB is well coached and the players execute well and show good balance on offense. Had Serra had a lopsided win over S.I. yesterday then I would lean more heavily towards the Padres, however Serra has a LOT of issues to address and in a hurry. In short the Padres will have to pass to win and that means going more down field with some consistency.

Rmbr26, nice analysis and I couldn’t agree more with how well S.I. played and tbh, absolutely out coached the Padres.

I know that the Serra coaching staff is excellent but I think it’s time for some crucial conversations in that locker room. I was very surprised by the game-plan. No creativity, no trick plays, no shots downfield, really predictable and reminiscent of JV. Serra gate plays on extra point tries alone have more options/creativity then the hike the ball and run around display we witnessed Saturday.

Honestly, No matter how many ways they tried to dress up screens, predominantly bubble like 8-9 times it fooled NOBODY, and if that’s what you got, pack it up and go home cause your 1 and done. The speed of the Padres is nullified when you go double wing, horizontal screen passes etc, your fastest players are too busy blocking.

It’s not that theses elements aren’t important in a game plan but that can’t be the whole game plan. It’s possible to protect your young qb but you have to give him a chance or you should look at other options. For instance, with a mobile quarterback that may struggle to read and throw down field it helps to use flood concepts to keep reads simple, allow three levels while keeping run option live.

I’m trying hard not to critique too hard here but let’s be honest the Padres got their tails handed to them in all aspects. It’s easy for me to be critical, so I think I will put the hook on myself here before I embarrass myself but I hope they can figure it out against HMB.

It was a great day...

Nah, it was a lousy day.... 0-10 for the first time in 46 years. SHC's two big defenders were out again from what I could tell, and absolutely no running game. Irish have to get more depth. Even in the Frosh game the refs stole a TD from us. They'll get their running game with Jerry Mixon and R.L. Walker coming up, plus healthy Seniors on defense next season.

I did get one laugh when the emcee said "Riordan now has the best field, gym and theater in the City". Field maybe (Who else, SI?), but SHC has the premier gym by far and easily the finest theater.

Last edited:
Nah, it was a lousy day.... 0-10 for the first time in 46 years. SHC's two big defenders were out again from what I could tell, and absolutely no running game. Irish have to get more depth. They'll get their running game with Jerry Mixon and R.L. Walker coming up, plus healthy Seniors on defense next season.

SI Regalia and staff gets the credit, I mean you are looking at a team that was 0-7 as frosh and not much better at Jvs and with the aid of healthy players and some extra ones from lacrosse punched out a winning formula this year.

SHC is very young they will be ok down the road I wouldn't say the no JV approach isn't ever going to work but if it does there will be gaps in the years like this because it was a whole lot of inexperience. Picture this team with Ivy and sophomore Jackson who did not play this year and this offense would have scored more when needed. Having said this I hope he does play next year, and I would like to see Dowling with a much improved offense put it together because he is a player that can make plays. Im not giving up Upresa or Reagans either, they can be tweeked with Shea, the sophomore baseball player who played for the first time or Junior Dara Keane who is is an outstanding soccer player.

Last edited:
One ammendment I would like to make to my heavy criticism above. I think Lampkin is an outstanding prospect just needs seasoning. He has been throw to the wolves, and is 1-1 as a soph playing the most taxing position on Varsity. Lol, for what it's worth. Go Pads!

Reactions: colhenrylives
Totally agree. He is going to be very good. But this current challenge is really quite daunting. By the way, I keep wondering what Serra would look like with Eaton at the controls.

Reactions: Santa Ball
SI Regalia and staff gets the credit, I mean you are looking at a team that was 0-7 as frosh and not much better at Jvs and with the aid of healthy players and some extra ones from lacrosse punched out a winning formula this year.

SHC is very young they will be ok down the road I wouldn't say the no JV approach isn't ever going to work but if it does there will be gaps in the years like this because it was a whole lot of inexperience. Picture this team with Ivy and sophomore Jackson who did not play this year and this offense would have scored more when needed. Having said this I hope he does play next year, and I would like to see Dowling with a much improved offense put it together because he is a player that can make plays. Im not giving up Upresa or Reagans either, they can be tweeked with Shea, the sophomore baseball player who played for the first time or Junior Dara Keane who is is an outstanding soccer player.
It's lack of size on either line. period. Same, yesterday, today and always. The F/V thing will never be appealing to any potential kid wanting to play football seriously at SHC. Depth of program will continue to be problematic. With the opening of Margaret Hayward to future football practices (2 blocks from campus), it may pay dividends down the line with interest to field a JV squad, and a competitive varsity team (ie 3-4 win varsity league team) in 5-10 years. Until then expect more of the same of Irish teams similar to that of the 1970s.

BTW. Congrats to Riordan for winning the Stanfel Cup for the first time in years and SI for capturing a share of WCAL title.

Last edited:
Reactions: colhenrylives
It's lack of size on either line. period. Same, yesterday, today and always. The F/V thing will never be appealing to any potential kid wanting to play football seriously at SHC. Depth of program will continue to be problematic. With the opening of Margaret Hayward to future football practices (2 blocks from campus), it may pay dividends down the line with interest to field a JV squad, and a competitive varsity team (ie 3-4 win varsity league team) in 5-10 years. Until then expect more of the same of Irish teams similar to that of the 1970s.

BTW. Congrats to Riordan for winning the Stanfel Cup for the first time in years and SI for capturing a share of WCAL title.

Maybe... but the two big boys did not play due to injuries yesterday. But yes, a big line is always helpful in football. You never expect miracles for the football team at SHC, and 3-4 league wins is good enough to make the playoffs. I will say this, the last 4-5 years, the frosh coming in that want to play football have been better quality than usual, due to the win loss records so its back to the grind with big dreams.

So, let me understand this, wasn’t this week the first week of the playoffs? If Serra lost to SI, then why do they get to advance to the next round? The SJS playoffs started this week, were the Bay Area playoffs delayed a week?

So, let me understand this, wasn’t this week the first week of the playoffs? If Serra lost to SI, then why do they get to advance to the next round? The SJS playoffs started this week, were the Bay Area playoffs delayed a week?

You're correct. This weekend was the last regular season games for CCS. Playoffs start next week in contrast to the SJS.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
It's lack of size on either line. period. Same, yesterday, today and always. Depth of program will continue to be problematic. With the opening of Margaret Hayward to future football practices (2 blocks from campus), it may pay dividends down the line with interest to field a JV squad, and a competitive varsity team (ie 3-4 win varsity league team) in 5-10 years. Until then expect more of the same of Irish teams similar to that of the 1970s.

There are also plans to double the size of the current practice field by building a structure with a rooftop practice field on top of it. So, in essence, it will be a double-decker practice field. Other plans include adding some (a little bit) of parking and replacing the Brothers' house with a new building, so it looks like the long treks to the practice fields will be a thing of the past. Believe me, the program will not revert to the way it was during the 70's. (You're out of your mind if you think otherwise). I've been all through that.

Last edited:
Got to give it up the the Lady Irish for being staples of success for the school. Very weird that the boys teams cant be consistent like the girls teams year in and year out.
Two reasons for that. You know who they are.
[FYI, the school is NOT in the Tenderloin and don't think we don't know why you say so, jealous, pathetic twerps].
SHC is in the Cathedral Hill district, west of Van Ness and nowhere close to any "tenderloin".

Last edited:
Please. Football is an entirely different kettle of fish. The girls have nothing remotely similar to football. Football requires money, commitment, administrative/alumni support, large coaching staffs, etc. that far exceed anything the girls (or other boys) programs need. For SHC on the outskirts of the Tenderloin, it's a huge challenge.

Totally agree. He is going to be very good. But this current challenge is really quite daunting. By the way, I keep wondering what Serra would look like with Eaton at the controls.

I think Lampkin will be star. It’s so difficult for sophomores to compete against 17/18 year-olds who not only have more experience, but years in high school lifting/conditioning programs. I am always very impressed by sophs who can stand out on varsity. I think Lampkin has done a good job thus far, and his high-end athleticism really shows.

Looking at game from other side of the fence for any Serra “positives”.
Without McLemore S.I. has the best passing game & WR in the WCAL and a defense right up there with Serra’s. All in all this was projected to be a close game within one score & I projected 21-17 Serra. S.I had the most motivation to win - a huge home crowd, a chance to tie for the WCAL title AND beat a nemesis who they hadn’t defeated in 13 years suffering blow-outs the last 4 seasons - if thats not motivation I don’t know what is. S. I.
not surprisingly played its best game of the season.
Serra coming off an emotional shut-out win over favored VC without their starting QB
must have felt they could get by S.I. without difficulty. Serra played its worst game of the year with 60-yards offense in the first 1/2, numerous penalties & a fumble on the oppositions 4 yard line.
S.I led VC by 7-3 into the 4th quarter before VC scored 2 TD’s, one with 3 minutes remaining for the win. Serra behind 14-0 at 1/2 shut out S.I. in the 2nd 1/2 and came within a single play of winning despite playing poorly.
Perhaps Serra will bounce back and learn from the S.I. loss going into the playoffs.
Can Serra overcome the loss of McLemore?
The win over VC would indicate the Padres can win with Lampkin. Perhaps the loss will motivate Serra entering the CCS playoffs(?). I am reasonably sure Serra will be a formidable opponent in their upcoming game and would not bet against the Padres.

Last edited:
Please. Football is an entirely different kettle of fish. The girls have nothing remotely similar to football. Football requires money, commitment, administrative/alumni support, large coaching staffs, etc. that far exceed anything the girls (or other boys) programs need. For SHC on the outskirts of the Tenderloin, it's a huge challenge.
Good to hear of plans for practice fields down the street...Challenge, though, is putting butts in the stands at frigid Kezar. One suggestion: Why not Saturday afternoon games? Fall days in the City are perfect to bring in more people.

Good to hear of plans for practice fields down the street...Challenge, though, is putting butts in the stands at frigid Kezar. One suggestion: Why not Saturday afternoon games? Fall days in the City are perfect to bring in more people.
I think once every two years there's a league game on a Saturday. As for the weather, it's been good this season. Now during the 90's, it would get down in 40's. Fog Bowls happened a lot too.

I thought the young QB played great and more than did his job to put JS in a position to win. I like the fact the numerous JS penalties were brought up in this post. I've watched JS 4 times this year and every game they are heavily penalized. The holding calls alone must cost them 50 too 75 yards a game. Penalties cost them at least 10-14 points against SF Walsh can scream and complain all he wants but its on him and the coaching staff to clean it up. Nobody likes it when the refs have a large influence on the outcome.

Reactions: Scott2138

This is very valid Jordan. I think theres a mystique to saying your school plays its home games at Kezar. However there really is no draw besides the Bruce Mahoney game. Why spend the money to rent out such a facility when they can probably pay less rent for games at Galileo or Washington. You are right, night games are awful to endure, but your question why not Saturday day games is likely due to availability.

This is very valid Jordan. I think there's a mystique to saying your school plays its home games at Kezar. However there really is no draw besides the Bruce Mahoney game. Why spend the money to rent out such a facility when they can probably pay less rent for games at Galileo or Washington. You are right, night games are awful to endure, but your question why not Saturday day games is likely due to availability.
When I was at Sacred Heart, the games were on Saturdays at 2:00 PM. At least 1000 would show up regularly. For a while during the late 70's and 80's, I missed a lot of games because they were played on Fridays at 3:30 PM. These days, I think people like "Friday Night Lights" no matter what.

I thought the young QB played great and more than did his job to put JS in a position to win. I like the fact the numerous JS penalties were brought up in this post. I've watched JS 4 times this year and every game they are heavily penalized. The holding calls alone must cost them 50 too 75 yards a game. Penalties cost them at least 10-14 points against SF Walsh can scream and complain all he wants but its on him and the coaching staff to clean it up. Nobody likes it when the refs have a large influence on the outcome.

I think the young QB played great: )...Serra fans, if you can't appreciate him, Sacred Heart Cathedral could use more players instantly...If people at Serra complain about him or make him feel unwelcome, come down to SHC and that goes to all the players that want more playing time, or a chance to be a star. You will make varsity and get a chance to compete against the same players all the WCAL players want. In a few years, the facilities will be better and this sell will seem more lucrative. ( Think Im kidding, in the last few seasons, some kids left for St. Francis, Serra, Riordan, SI and public schools) If we kept them, we would have been a different team in many aspects, most likely better. It won't be like the 70s or 80s, we won't have the excuse of not having the field.

Last edited:
I think the young QB played great: )...Serra fans, if you can't appreciate him, Sacred Heart Cathedral could use more players instantly...If people at Serra complain about him or make him feel unwelcome, come down to SHC and that goes to all the players that want more playing time, or a chance to be a star. You will make varsity and get a chance to compete against the same players all the WCAL players want. In a few years, the facilities will be better and this sell will seem more lucrative. ( Think Im kidding, in the last few seasons, some kids left for St. Francis, Serra, Riordan, and public schools) If we kept them, we would have been a different team in many aspects, most likely better. It won't be like the 70s or 80s, we won't have the excuse of not having the field.

Wow... such a tempting sales pitch.

Reactions: jordan24 and exp7

The new SHC gym has attracted a lot of volleyball and basketball stars for boys and girls since it was built. When the remodel is done for the field, I see it only helping in the quest for better players for outdoor sports. It is time to end the excuse of not having a field and it looks like that goal has started and Phase 3 has already been planned and will start next year or the year after.

WCAL Football 2019-20: This Weeks CCS Playoff Games Round 1

Division 1
SF 4-6 at VC 9-1 Friday 7PM
[league game on 8/27 VC won by 28-7 over SF]
Wilcox 8-2 at M-A 7-3 Friday 7PM [VC won over Wilcox on 8/30 by 23-13, Serra won over M-A on 9/6 by 38-13]

Mitty 6-4 at St. Ignatius 8-2 Saturday 1PM
[league game on 11/1 S.I. won 21-7, both teams w/o #1 QB's]
Half Moon Bay 10-0 at Serra 9-1 Saturday 1PM [HMB won 40-0 over SHP who won over S.I. by 28-21]

Division II
Bells 3-7 at SHP 7-3 Saturday 1 PM
[SHP won over S.I. on 9/7 by 28-21]

WCAL Football 2019-20: This Weeks CCS Playoff Games Round 1

Division 1
SF 4-6 at VC 9-1 Friday 7PM
[league game on 8/27 VC won by 28-7 over SF]
Wilcox 8-2 at M-A 7-3 Friday 7PM [VC won over Wilcox on 8/30 by 23-13, Serra won over M-A on 9/6 by 38-13]

Mitty 6-4 at St. Ignatius 8-2 Saturday 1PM
[league game on 11/1 S.I. won 21-7, both teams w/o #1 QB's]
Half Moon Bay 10-0 at Serra 9-1 Saturday 1PM [HMB won 40-0 over SHP who won over S.I. by 28-21]

Division II
Bells 3-7 at SHP 7-3 Saturday 1 PM
[SHP won over S.I. on 9/7 by 28-21]

Questionable to me that Bell at 3-7 gets in over a co-league champ in Silver Creek.

SHC been an “event” school since they went co-ed. Don’t get me wrong, school itself doing great, just not a make up that supports athletic events across the board unless it’s the first game v SI in football basketball and baseball. Same can be said to an extent with the other city WCAL schools. As for Tenderloin proximity, City people look at block ratio differently.

Last edited:
Pretty easy. Look at their schedules.

Ok and they could only win 30% of their games with that schedule. That sounds like a playoff team to you? A team won a share of their league title and you don't think that should get you into the playoffs? I get the argument over other at-large teams but a co-champion?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT