ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Football 2019-20 - NCP's All NorCal Team + SF Chron All Metro & Merc Teams

The latest Bellarmine varsity roster is showing just 33 players. That seems quite low. No sophs. Yet.

thanks for the info. this is really eye opening for me to see that low number. it was not like this in the 80s. i hope they really have a top notch conditioning program this year

Schedule change: Serra will play Menlo-Atherton on Sept. 6 at 7:30 p.m. at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara. The game had been set for Sept. 7 at 1 p.m. at Serra in San Mateo.

Reactions: jordan24
I'd guess that if any resurgence of Serra's O-Line was based upon 2 over-sized frosh from last year who washed out this quickly the predictions of a renewed O-Line were perhaps premature?

In the words of one of America's most quoted and gifted philosophers: It was fake news. (Perhaps provided by an overly-enthusiastic parental unit).

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
BNG-L-BELLARMINE-0824-14.jpg

Bellarmine quarterback Harry Mingrone, shown here Friday night August 31,2018, threw the winning TD pass in a 13-12 win over Clovis North on Friday night. Jim Gensheimer/Special to Bay Area News Group

WCAL Football Review of 2018 Season by Team

Bellarmine “Bells” 2018 Record 2-8
We’ll start with the Bells latest free-fall season by looking at what led up to such an abysmal season for the once CCS & WCAL power. The 2018 season for the Bellarmine football team would have at one time been simply unthinkable among other WCAL teams. Bellarmine for so long had been perhaps “the model” for what a WCAL football team should be and what fans viewed in 2018 was far from anything resembling “Bellarmine Football”. The nose-dive happened quickly and to date the Bells coaching staff/Coach Janda has been unable to “right the ship” so to speak in coming up with a solution. In 2017 the Bells went 4-7 in a season similar to 2018. In 2016 the Bells were still respectable with a 7-5 season, however towards the latter of the season the worst loss in recent memory took place in a 48-13 loss to Serra [I remember being shocked at how the Padres rolled over Bellarmine in that game]. In 2015 it was the Bells of old that rolled to a 13-2 season winning the WCAL and over Serra, SF & VC along the way with the Bells only loss coming at the hands of Mitty. In the playoffs the Bells continued to roll over quality opponents before traveling to Folsom to take on the 2nd best team in NorCal after DLS. The Bells went in as a heavy underdog with a physically imposing & talented Folsom Bulldog team riding a 43-game home win streak. Coach Janda before the game in an interview said he knew what they were up against and promised that his Bells team would play Folsom “Fast & Hard”. The Bells did exactly that and with 1-minute left intercepted a Folsom pass, drove the field for a TD and then with Folsom driving swatted away a pass in the Bellarmine end zone as time ran out [as good as Bellarmine football gets!]. The following week the Bells lost in their state bowl game 1-AA to SoCal power Mission Viejo for their only other loss of the season.

The 2018 season started poorly & ended the same way. Of 10 games the Bells suffered 6 shut-outs. The only 2 wins were a 1-point win over a weak Clovis North team and a 34-20 win over Riordan which was closer than the score might indicate. 6 of the defeats were by 21 points or more. The Bells roster was small in comparison to past as well as undersized. On offense the coaching staff stuck to their guns using their “tried & true” Wing-T offense that was no longer successful against the better D’s of the WCAL. On offense the Bells were quite dreadful and could not average 1-TD per game during WCAL league. With their slow-churning Wing-T once the Bells fell behind in games they were doomed. For 2019 from info gathered so far the Bells will be hard pressed to surpass last season. It would seem the entire Bellarmine football program needs a “rebuild” from start to bottom in all facets. Whether that happens in 2019 remains to be seen, however it is inevitable that major change is coming & will take place at some point [and for fans sooner is better than later].

Bellarmine 2018 Season Record 2-8
M-A 28-0 over Bells – A shut-out In the first game is never a good sign
Bells 13-12 over Clovis North – expected easy win for Bells turns into a nailbiter
Vintage 26-14 over Bells – a good effort by Bell’s against a team that would finish 10-3
Bells 34-20 over Riordan – while a 2 TD win the gap between 2 teams narrows
Serra 43-0 over Bells – Bells never in this one with running clock to end the misery
Mitty 35-14 over Bells – Mitty shows they have moved a level above the Bells
SHC 14-0 over Bells – Irish as well a step above Bells on the WCAL ladder
SF 28-0 over Bells – Lancers in cruise control in easy win
VC 35-0 over Bells – VC knows it can score at will and pumps the brakes early on
S.I. 34-0 over Bells – finish season with 4 consecutive shut-outs by 111-0

Worst Game
Of 8 losses and 6 by shut-out this is no easy task. If there is one particularly glaring loss I would point to the St. Ignatius 34-0 at S.I. The S.I. Wildcats who finished at 3-8 were no powerhouse and yet showed total domination in a game that was expected to be much closer. Usually a team will try to go out with a strong showing in their final game of the season. In this game it was apparent the players & coaching staff knew their season was already over. The Bells inability to mount any type of offense throughout the season was the teams #1 weakness. For the season the Bells D gave up 275 points to opposing teams while the Bells offense scored a total of 75 points – with 34 of those coming against Riordan.

Best Game
It was between the Vintage game and Mitty in which the Bells scored 14 points in both games while allowing 26 to Vintage and giving up 35 to Mitty. With a toss of the coin I’ll go with Vintage simply based upon their 10-3 record and a double O/T win over Antioch. The Vintage “Crushers” victory made sports headlines in the Napa Valley Register newspaper proclaiming “Crushers Shut Down Bellarmine Prep in 26-14 Victory over perennial San Jose power”, stating further that “Vintage showed up & proverbially punched the Bells in the mouth behind stout defense”. The Bellarmine reputation is well known in NorCal [ just ask Folsom fans] and opposing teams especially out of the CCS section relish a victory over such a storied program as Bellarmine.

Next Up: Riordan “Crusaders”

Last edited:
Reactions: colhenrylives
BNG-L-BELLARMINE-0824-14.jpg

Bellarmine quarterback Harry Mingrone, shown here in a game last week, threw the winning TD pass in a 13-12 win over Clovis North on Friday night. Jim Gensheimer/Special to Bay Area News Group

Bellarmine “Bells” 2018 Record 2-8
We’ll start with the Bells latest free-fall season by looking at what led up to such an abysmal season for the once CCS & WCAL power. The 2018 season for the Bellarmine football team would have at one time been simply unthinkable among other WCAL teams. Bellarmine for so long had been perhaps “the model” for what a WCAL football team should be and what fans viewed in 2018 was far from anything resembling “Bellarmine Football”. The nose-dive happened quickly and to date the Bells coaching staff/Coach Janda has been unable to “right the ship” so to speak in coming up with a solution. In 2017 the Bells went 4-7 in a season similar to 2018. In 2016 the Bells were still respectable with a 7-5 season, however towards the latter of the season the worst loss in recent memory took place in a 48-13 loss to Serra [I remember being shocked at how the Padres rolled over Bellarmine in that game]. In 2015 it was the Bells of old that rolled to a 13-2 season winning the WCAL and over Serra, SF & VC along the way with the Bells only loss coming at the hands of Mitty. In the playoffs the Bells continued to roll over quality opponents before traveling to Folsom to take on the 2nd best team in NorCal after DLS. The Bells went in as a heavy underdog with a physically imposing & talented Folsom Bulldog team riding a 43-game home win streak. Coach Janda before the game in an interview said he knew what they were up against and promised that his Bells team would play Folsom “Fast & Hard”. The Bells did exactly that and with 1-minute left intercepted a Folsom pass, drove the field for a TD and then with Folsom driving swatted away a pass in the Bellarmine end zone as time ran out [as good as Bellarmine football gets!]. The following week the Bells lost in their state bowl game 1-AA to SoCal power Mission Viejo for their only other loss of the season.

The 2018 season started poorly & ended the same way. Of 10 games the Bells suffered 6 shut-outs. The only 2 wins were a 1-point win over a weak Clovis North team and a 34-20 win over Riordan which was closer than the score might indicate. 6 of the defeats were by 21 points or more. The Bells roster was small in comparison to past as well as undersized. On offense the coaching staff stuck to their guns using their “tried & true” Wing-T offense that was no longer successful against the better D’s of the WCAL. On offense the Bells were quite dreadful and could not average 1-TD per game during WCAL league. With their slow-churning Wing-T once the Bells fell behind in games they were doomed. For 2019 from info gathered so far the Bells will be hard pressed to surpass last season. It would seem the entire Bellarmine football program needs a “rebuild” from start to bottom in all facets. Whether that happens in 2019 remains to be seen, however it is inevitable that major change is coming & will take place at some point [and for fans sooner is better than later].

Bellarmine 2018 Season Record 2-8
M-A 28-0 over Bells – A shut-out In the first game is never a good sign
Bells 13-12 over Clovis North – expected easy win for Bells turns into a nailbiter
Vintage 26-14 over Bells – a good effort by Bell’s against a team that would finish 10-3
Bells 34-20 over Riordan – while a 2 TD win the gap between 2 teams narrows
Serra 43-0 over Bells – Bells never in this one with running clock to end the misery
Mitty 35-14 over Bells – Mitty shows they have moved a level above the Bells
SHC 14-0 over Bells – Irish as well a step above Bells on the WCAL ladder
SF 28-0 over Bells – Lancers in cruise control in easy win
VC 35-0 over Bells – VC knows it can score at will and pumps the brakes early on
S.I. 34-0 over Bells – finish season with 4 consecutive shut-outs by 111-0

Worst Game
Of 8 losses and 6 by shut-out this is no easy task. If there is one particularly glaring loss I would point to the St. Ignatius 34-0 at S.I. The S.I. Wildcats who finished at 3-8 were no powerhouse and yet showed total domination in a game that was expected to be much closer. Usually a team will try to go out with a strong showing in their final game of the season. In this game it was apparent the players & coaching staff knew their season was already over. The Bells inability to mount any type of offense throughout the season was the teams #1 weakness. For the season the Bells D gave up 275 points to opposing teams while the Bells offense scored a total of 75 points – with 34 of those coming against Riordan.

Best Game
It was between the Vintage game and Mitty in which the Bells scored 14 points in both games while allowing 26 to Vintage and giving up 35 to Mitty. With a toss of the coin I’ll go with Vintage simply based upon their 10-3 record and a double O/T win over Antioch. The Vintage “Crushers” victory made sports headlines in the Napa Valley Register newspaper proclaiming “Crushers Shut Down Bellarmine Prep in 26-14 Victory over perennial San Jose power”, stating further that “Vintage showed up & proverbially punched the Bells in the mouth behind stout defense”. The Bellarmine reputation is well known in NorCal [ just ask Folsom fans] and opposing teams especially out of the CCS section relish a victory over such a storied program as Bellarmine.

Next Up: Riordan “Crusaders”

That sums up the Bellarmine situation quite nicely. One has to wonder too: Have Bellarmine's academic/entrance requirements become so tough that its previous boatload of football guys has been diminished significantly? Or do South Bay youngsters simply view Bellarmine football as a tired entity?

I don’t know is there is any correlation but in 2017, the year the Bell football program took a nose dive, was the year a group of their players started kneeling during the playing of the national anthem. Coach Janda lost control of that team and it still has not recovered.

After the kneeling incident, the Bellarmine JV coach quit the program. He was a law enforcement officer. That’s what the kneeling was all about. It was to take a stand against law enforcement for the officer in the Ferguson incident .“Hands up don’t shoot” It didn’t matter that the officer in Ferguson was cleared. Colin kaepernick had to take a stand. Which was to kneel

Plenty of war heroes died so that kaepernick could kneel. He said it was not against our flag. But it really was as Nike came out with a new shoe that had a Betsy Ross flag on it. kaepernick told Nike to get rid of it and they recalled the shoes.

I don’t have a problem with NFL players kneeling. Just do it on their own time and dime. They could set up tables in from of Walmart and kneel all afternoon while signing autographs for fans.

BTW I herd that Nike’s new slogan is “Just Kneel It”

Thanks for that boilerplate opinion on Kaepernick, WCAL75.

As for the Bells, they have always had smart kids and high standards, but they used to have high-level football players who would go on to Stanford, Ivy League schools, etc. They don’t seem to be getting those sorts of athletes anymore in football. Other Bell sports seem to be doing fine, however.

Wow!33? For an all boys school of 1,600 with their football tradition. That is sad and shocking

Hearing that there may be only 33 players on varsity with no sophs means that 33 players are coming from the junior & senior classes totaling somewhere around 800 students. So around 16 players from each 400 student class?
That's a mere 4 football players per 100 students or 4% participation rate. Without a doubt the worst of the 8 WCAL schools & likely unprecedented in the long history of Bellarmine.

Imagine for just a sec DLS or Folsom having 33 players on their roster...
DLS this season should have around 65-70 and Folsom currently showing 73 with 2 soph's
DLS at 1050 students = 15-16% participation rate & Folsom approx. 16-17%.

Reactions: remc and ds1968
The Bellarmine football situation reminds one of that TV ad for a senior citizen safety alert setup: "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up." Not good.

Hearing that there may be only 33 players on varsity with no sophs means that 33 players are coming from the junior & senior classes totaling somewhere around 800 students. So around 16 players from each 400 student class?
That's a mere 4 football players per 100 students or 4% participation rate. Without a doubt the worst of the 8 WCAL schools & likely unprecedented in the long history of Bellarmine.

DLS this season should have around 65-70 and Folsom currently showing 73 with 2 soph's

The 33 players listed on Max Preps are the returning players from last year.
Bells Varsity has 50+ players this season

The 33 players listed on Max Preps are the returning players from last year. Bells Varsity has 50+ players this season

HazeG - thanks for your post if confirmed & factual you are a fan of our beloved Bells communicating with us on NCP's?? [hopefully so..]. The info available on Bellarmine & St. Ignatius has become so secretive and limited that fans in general & especially those die-hard WCAL fans are simply left to wonder what is taking place on those somewhat forgotten football fields. It is such that we do not know if the names on then rosters are even real. There is even a rumor the real Coach Janda moved to Bora Bora 2 seasons ago & assumed a different name.
If you do wish to become our "source" for rumors, hearsay, BS or otherwise general dialogue on the Bells for this season I for one would welcome your input. Also if HazeG is really Coach Janda I really won't tell anyone.. [just message me privately Coach]..

I'd guess that if any resurgence of Serra's O-Line was based upon 2 over-sized frosh from last year who washed out this quickly the predictions of a renewed O-Line were perhaps premature?

Wow, I don't think the term " washed out " is truly accurate. One kid left JS because it wasn't the school for him. Simply not a goof fit. I doubt he's the first and won't be the last. The other young man is an absolute asset to JS as a member of the student body even without sports. The decision not to play is a very personal family choice. Here's hoping he comes out for JV basketball. They could use the size.

The 33 players listed on Max Preps are the returning players from last year.
Bells Varsity has 50+ players this season
That’s better. I hate seeing great football programs take downward spirals.

Wow, I don't think the term " washed out " is truly accurate. One kid left JS because it wasn't the school for him. Simply not a goof fit. I doubt he's the first and won't be the last. The other young man is an absolute asset to JS as a member of the student body even without sports. The decision not to play is a very personal family choice. Here's hoping he comes out for JV basketball. They could use the size.

While the term "washed out" may not be "PC" in some circles this is football we're talking and players who can't "cut the mustard" in old school terminology are referred to as having "washed out". The largest turn-outs in HS football are for Frosh teams & the highest "drop out" rate is between Frosh and JV. Many Frosh players do not attempt the next level at JV and never play contact football again. The jump from frosh to JV is a step up & from frosh to varsity is a giant leap up. A player who is well above average at Frosh or JV may not make the cut on varsity. Serra & other WCAL schools are not for everyone. The competition is much tougher in sports and many "stars" from junior high find themselves left out at the next level. My best friend who started Serra with me could not make the basket ball team & left to start the next season at Mills. Being an asset to the student body is great and commendable, but playing violin in the band or member of the drama club does not help the Padres when they line up against St. Francis. Football is a tough sport that is not for everyone and many decide early on after Frosh season this is not the sport for them.

5b95b176b4feb.image.jpg

Riordan tacklers take down Napa RB after a short gain in last season's 40-31 victory.
[photo courtesy Napa Valley Register].

Riordan “Crusaders” 2018 Team Record 1-9
Another sobering season for the Crusaders in 2018 winning a mere single game over a Napa team that would go 0-10 with the Riordan loss of 40-31 being one of its closest games. Is there any reason for hope this season? Will Riordan be an improved team over last season? Or could they be if anyone could fathom it worse? Let’s look at the 4 previous seasons for the Crusaders:
2017 record = 2-8, 2016 record 2-8, 2015 record 9-4, 2014 record 1-9. The best team by far in the last 5 years being the 2015 team which made it all the way to the CCS Open III Championship losing by 35-28 to SHP. That team had many of the same players as the 1-9 team the season before, however peaked in their senior season when Riordan was #2 in scoring in the WCAL. Those seniors graduated and once again in 2016 Riordan returned to its former level of performance. Of course there have been numerous coaching changes adding to the instability of the program. Riordan shares close proximity to SHC & S.I. so why is it Riordan lags behind the other 2 SF WCAL’s in most seasons? From early observations it appears that both Riordan & SHC may be up a notch this season while S.I. is a question mark as are the Bells. Of the 3 teams Riordan’s “close game” was against the Bells while dominated by both SHC & S.I.

For Riordan to compete this season with those 2 SF schools the Crusaders will have to “up their game” by several notches. In other words this years’ team cannot resemble last season’s team in any way if Riordan is to show any major improvement. The coaching is the biggest factor and many changes need to be implemented for a team that was last in both scoring AND defense last season in the WCAL.

2018 Riordan Team Record/ Results 1-9
Salesian 49-48 over ARHS
San Ramon Valley 55-0 over ARHS
Riordan 40-31 over Napa
Bells 34-20 over ARHS
Mitty 34-6 over ARHS
Serra 57-6 over ARHS
SF 38-0 over ARHS
SHC 39-0 over ARHS
S.I. 35-0 over ARHS
VC 53-7 over ARHS

Worst Game:
It would have to be the WCAL league season as Riordan was not competitive with 6 of the 7 teams. Averaging less than a TD per game while giving up nearly 6 TD’s per game. The disparity was glaring to put it mildly.

Best Game:
In a season of 9 losses and but a single win it has to be THE win of 40-31 over Napa. While I was leaning towards the Bells game as the Crusaders best effort it is all about wins in a 1-9 season. I’ll take an “ugly win” over a good effort loss in this case.

Next Up: Looking ahead to season opening games

SH Maxpreps roster looks like 99% done. Of note, no Ray John Jackson on roster. Appears to look like he wanted to concentrate on basketball which is the norm now for kids. He wouldve been exciting playmaker on the football field.

I cant remember an Irish OL/DL having that amount of size. Its a welcoming site for an SH team, however when you compare to VC, Serra, SF's OL/DL you just "shake your head/say come on thats just not fair" lol.

I am expecting sophomore RB Reagans and sophomore WR Uperesa to make significant contributions this year. Dowling is going to really have a few weapons on the outside with Tyrice Ivy and Tucker Brown.

Im going to with a 6-4 regular season (3-4 or best case 4-3 in league). And we'll see what they do in probably CCS D3 playoffs.

5b95b176b4feb.image.jpg

Riordan tacklers take down Napa RB after a short gain in last season's 40-31 victory.
[photo courtesy Napa Valley Register].

Riordan “Crusaders” 2018 Team Record 1-9
Another sobering season for the Crusaders in 2018 winning a mere single game over a Napa team that would go 0-10 with the Riordan loss of 40-31 being one of its closest games. Is there any reason for hope this season? Will Riordan be an improved team over last season? Or could they be if anyone could fathom it worse? Let’s look at the 4 previous seasons for the Crusaders:
2017 record = 2-8, 2016 record 2-8, 2015 record 9-4, 2014 record 1-9. The best team by far in the last 5 years being the 2015 team which made it all the way to the CCS Open III Championship losing by 35-28 to SHP. That team had many of the same players as the 1-9 team the season before, however peaked in their senior season when Riordan was #2 in scoring in the WCAL. Those seniors graduated and once again in 2016 Riordan returned to its former level of performance. Of course there have been numerous coaching changes adding to the instability of the program. Riordan shares close proximity to SHC & S.I. so why is it Riordan lags behind the other 2 SF WCAL’s in most seasons? From early observations it appears that both Riordan & SHC may be up a notch this season while S.I. is a question mark as are the Bells. Of the 3 teams Riordan’s “close game” was against the Bells while dominated by both SHC & S.I.

For Riordan to compete this season with those 2 SF schools the Crusaders will have to “up their game” by several notches. In other words this years’ team cannot resemble last season’s team in any way if Riordan is to show any major improvement. The coaching is the biggest factor and many changes need to be implemented for a team that was last in both scoring AND defense last season in the WCAL.

2018 Riordan Team Record/ Results 1-9
Salesian 49-48 over ARHS
San Ramon Valley 55-0 over ARHS
Riordan 40-31 over Napa
Bells 34-20 over ARHS
Mitty 34-6 over ARHS
Serra 57-6 over ARHS
SF 38-0 over ARHS
SHC 39-0 over ARHS
S.I. 35-0 over ARHS
VC 53-7 over ARHS

Worst Game:
It would have to be the WCAL league season as Riordan was not competitive with 6 of the 7 teams. Averaging less than a TD per game while giving up nearly 6 TD’s per game. The disparity was glaring to put it mildly.

Best Game:
In a season of 9 losses and but a single win it has to be THE win of 40-31 over Napa. While I was leaning towards the Bells game as the Crusaders best effort it is all about wins in a 1-9 season. I’ll take an “ugly win” over a good effort loss in this case.

Next Up: Looking ahead to season opening games

Without question, the keys for the Crusaders are: 1. A solid, competent, committed coaching staff; 2. A committed administration/board of trustees; 3. Upgraded athletic facilities; 4. An increased budget for the football program (all three teams). Fortunately, it appears that most, if not all, of those requirements are up and running. So, taking the long view, Riordan has to be on an upswing; things cannot get worse. All of the signs for the future seem to be positive. It's entirely possible that the 2019 season won't see many wins (the returning talent is not impressive for the most part) but that should not detract for visions of 2020, 2021 and beyond. Riordan, surprisingly, has the potential to become the best overall prep football program in SF, public or private. Will that optimistic assessment come to pass? We're going to have to wait awhile to find out. But here's one hopeful prediction: The 2019 season may not produce a bushel of W's but the new regime won't tolerate repeated penalties and bonehead, busted plays; a lack of dedication/fitness; a lack of focus/discipline; horrible play-calling; a lack of competitive fire/intensity in practice and ballgames; a stark lack of coaching professionalism; special teams that aren't special in any way, shape or form; a lack of overall preparation. Coach Modeste, whose resume' is impressive over many years, knows what has been ailing Riordan _ and the list is long. But, as they say, "The doctor is in." The patient is waiting.

Last edited:
RJJ would've been the best athlete on the SHC roster. Jahsai Shannon has left SI and transferred to Bishop Gorman. He would've easily been SI's top skill player. Riordan's top RB Jalen Camp also transferred.

[QUOTE="The 2019 season may not produce a bushel of W's but the new regime won't tolerate repeated penalties and bonehead, busted plays; a lack of dedication/fitness; a lack of focus/discipline; horrible play-calling; a lack of competitive fire/intensity in practice and ballgames; a stark lack of coaching professionalism; special teams that aren't special in any way, shape or form; a lack of overall preparation. Coach Modeste, whose resume' is impressive over many years, knows what has been ailing Riordan _ and the list is long. But, as they say, "The doctor is in." The patient is waiting.[/QUOTE]
You hit the nail on the head! The new RIordan athletic website reports that turnout has been very good for all 3 teams, with approximately 45 players on Varsity. The new field complex looks to be ready by the SHC game.

RJJ would've been the best athlete on the SHC roster. Jahsai Shannon has left SI and transferred to Bishop Gorman. He would've easily been SI's top skill player. Riordan's top RB Jalen Camp also transferred.

Thats a huge loss. Shannon was going to be the feature Back this year and showed alot of talent last year spelling Biggins. Nonetheless Teddye Buchanan is a beast.

Both SHC's and Riordan's rosters appear to be updated on MaxPreps. SI's preseason roster (however accurate/inaccurate, can be found on the School's website)
City WCAL Varsity Rosters*
SHC**
(MaxPreps): 49 players - 11 Srs, 19 Jrs, 19 Sophs**
Riordan
(MaxPreps): 49 players - 15 Srs, 32 Jrs, 2 Sophs
SI (via SI Athletics Website): 44 players - 18 Srs, 26 Jrs
* Subject to confirmation by the schools of its final rosters
** SHC does not field a JV team

Of note:
  • SHC has 15 players =/> 200Lbs (Includes 5 players > 240 lbs)
  • Riordan has 20 players =/> 200Lbs (Includes 8 players > 240 lbs
  • SI does not have its players height/weights listed
Last season's starting soph WR, Chris Whiley, does not appear on the Crusaders' current roster along with last season's jr. RB, Jalen Camp. However, 295 lb soph DE/FB , K. Kefu, is on this season's varsity roster after playing very well on JVs as a Frosh. His Sr. Brother, appears to be the starting tailback. A recent story has the Crusaders implementing a 2 back, fly offense this season. Scrimmage this Friday afternoon at Sacred Heart Prep. Lots of unknowns as noted by others, but will certainly be interesting to see how this team develops this season. New Coach with a new Offense and New Field - should be fun!

Last edited:
According to his Twitter account, Chris Whiley now plays for Balboa HS. Big loss for Riordan. That kid has a lot of talent.

According to his Twitter account, Chris Whiley now plays for Balboa HS. Big loss for Riordan. That kid has a lot of talent.

From Riordan to Balboa would have to be for financial considerations I would guess. Riordan with new coaching staff, new facilities/Football field and playing on a bigger stage AKA The WCAL would seem to be the overwhelming choice if serious about the sport. I agree with several of the posts regarding where Riordan's future is headed and think they will attract additional talent in the future.

Here is today's updated San Jose Mercury News / Bay Area News Group aka "BANG"

Top 25 Preseason Rankings

No. 25 Moreau Catholic
No. 24 Burlingame
No. 23 Palo Alto
No. 22 Aptos
No. 21 Sacred Heart Prep
No. 20 San Ramon Valley
No. 19 Archbishop Mitty
No. 18 Las Lomas
No. 17 Salinas
No. 16 Bishop O’Dowd
No. 15 Campolindo
No. 14 Marin Catholic
No. 13 Clayton Valley Charter
No. 12 Rancho Cotate
No. 11 McClymonds
No. 10 St. Francis
No. 9 Pittsburg
No. 8 Wilcox
No. 7 Cardinal Newman
No. 6 Monte Vista
No. 5 Menlo-Atherton
No. 4 Serra
No. 3 Valley Christian
No. 2 Liberty
No. 1 De La Salle

Teams too high or too low? Any teams missing altogether or should NOT be in Top 25??

* "Teams eligible for these rankings come from leagues based predominantly in Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara and San Mateo counties." Bay Area News Group

** Note: "BANG" news group aka The Mercury News traditionally picks teams based upon their areas of newspaper circulation. Occasionally though there are schools listed in the Top 25 which appear to be outside the areas listed above [ie: last time I checked Salinas #17 was still in Monterey County].

Here is today's updated San Jose Mercury News / Bay Area News Group aka "BANG"

Top 25 Preseason Rankings

No. 25 Moreau Catholic
No. 24 Burlingame
No. 23 Palo Alto
No. 22 Aptos
No. 21 Sacred Heart Prep
No. 20 San Ramon Valley
No. 19 Archbishop Mitty
No. 18 Las Lomas
No. 17 Salinas
No. 16 Bishop O’Dowd
No. 15 Campolindo
No. 14 Marin Catholic
No. 13 Clayton Valley Charter
No. 12 Rancho Cotate
No. 11 McClymonds
No. 10 St. Francis
No. 9 Pittsburg
No. 8 Wilcox
No. 7 Cardinal Newman
No. 6 Monte Vista
No. 5 Menlo-Atherton
No. 4 Serra
No. 3 Valley Christian
No. 2 Liberty
No. 1 De La Salle

Teams too high or too low? Any teams missing altogether or should NOT be in Top 25??

* "Teams eligible for these rankings come from leagues based predominantly in Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara and San Mateo counties." Bay Area News Group

** Note: "BANG" news group aka The Mercury News traditionally picks teams based upon their areas of newspaper circulation. Occasionally though there are schools listed in the Top 25 which appear to be outside the areas listed above [ie: last time I checked Salinas #17 was still in Monterey County].

Palma probably should be in there somewhere too. Not sure which unit to remove.

From Riordan to Balboa would have to be for financial considerations I would guess. Riordan with new coaching staff, new facilities/Football field and playing on a bigger stage AKA The WCAL would seem to be the overwhelming choice if serious about the sport. I agree with several of the posts regarding where Riordan's future is headed and think they will attract additional talent in the future.

Dont think they are going to have any trouble finding raw talent as seems like they getting a good number of kids from Sudan and Nigeria with their Boarding Program. This is true for basketball talent but lets see if their reach goes into getting football players.

Riordan will always attract talent. The question is can they keep them on campus? They usually transfer out for academic or financial hardships.

One team that apparently got skipped over by BANG is California - San Ramon. California was 8-4 last season with a strong schedule incl DLS and 2 games vs Freedom, one of which was a 35-34 loss in post-season playoffs. CA also had a win over SRV and looks to be close to the same level as last season - should have been listed in the 20-25 grouping.

Dont think they are going to have any trouble finding raw talent as seems like they getting a good number of kids from Sudan and Nigeria with their Boarding Program. This is true for basketball talent but lets see if their reach goes into getting football players.

Perhaps some "fact-finding" missions to Fiji, Samoa and Tonga would be helpful.

Reactions: jordan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT